Team-BHP - BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/126290-bmw-320d-328i-f30-official-review-78.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Santoshbhat (Post 4097585)
ICICI Lombard are nowadays adding an extra cover called RTI or return to invoice. This basically reimburses the full value paid for the car including registration in case the car is a total loss. This extra cover adds to the premium. I insure most of my cars with ICICI Lombard and this year their website seems to be updated and there is no way to opt out of this add on cover.

I finally decided to continue with ICICI only. My agent gave me the option of return to invoice and I could choose to opt in or not. It wasn't mandatory.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbanator (Post 4095811)
Why don't you connect your mobile using USB? That way songs will show up on screen and you can change tracks via steering controls as well, besides phone will get charged.

Tried it today. But this won't work either. The USB can play songs that are stored on your phone. But not through these music apps stored on your phone like Wynk/Gaana etc. So auxiliary input is the only way to go sadly.

After getting the oil service done yesterday in my car, I noticed today that it was again showing next service due in 10k kms or November, 2016. I then checked on the iDrive and under Vehicle status, the first thing mentioned there is Vehicle Check and it had a yellow triangle next to it. On further selection it showed that a physical vehicle inspection is due in next 10k kms or November 2016 whichever is earlier and I should book an appointment accordingly.

I thought may be this is some error where they forgot to reset the iDrive yesterday and hence called up the SA from yesterday and he gave me some story about how this is only applicable in foreign countries and has to do with some pollution control. He further said I can ignore it.

Any idea what does it mean? And if I can ignore it? Going back to the dealership means another half day wasted since it is far from my home and workplace both. Also BMW usually acts very strict about these things and once when I had overshoot my service interval by some 120 kms ( although the time for service was still 2-3 months away), they had made me write a Email to them acknowledging the same and as a record which I feel they might throw in my face later if some problem comes up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by drmohitg (Post 4097891)
After getting the oil service done yesterday in my car, I noticed today that it was again showing next service due in 10k kms or November, 2016. I then checked on the iDrive and under Vehicle status, the first thing mentioned there is Vehicle Check and it had a yellow triangle next to it. On further selection it showed that a physical vehicle inspection is due in next 10k kms or November 2016 whichever is earlier and I should book an appointment accordingly.

I thought may be this is some error where they forgot to reset the iDrive yesterday and hence called up the SA from yesterday and he gave me some story about how this is only applicable in foreign countries and has to do with some pollution control. He further said I can ignore it... had made me write a Email to them acknowledging the same and as a record which I feel they might throw in my face later if some problem comes up.

Ok. That's the Vehicle check prompt. It is a feature where in you can configure the date of statutory vehicle check (whichever country it is applicable). Like in Dubai, annual vehicle check is needed by the authorities.

In India, vehicle check (annual or otherwise) is not a mandate by the authorities. So, you can relax.

You can also ask the Aftersales staff to turn up at your residence with an ICOM and ISID and reset it via their device. This should be done free of cost since the oversight is at their end. Ask them to set the vehicle prompt as far as possible into the future.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeamerBoy (Post 4097910)

You can also ask the Aftersales staff to turn up at your residence with an ICOM and ISID and reset it via their device. This should be done free of cost since the oversight is at their end. Ask them to set the vehicle prompt as far as possible into the future.

Ok in that case I will just probably ignore it. It wouldn't have any effects on the car or future service/warranty right? I would get it reset whenever I go towards the dealership side of the city.

Quote:

Originally Posted by drmohitg (Post 4097916)
Ok in that case I will just probably ignore it. It wouldn't have any effects on the car or future service/warranty right? I would get it reset whenever I go towards the dealership side of the city.

Yes. Or just call the service staff to fix the same at your residence or office, wherever convenient. Not more than 15 minute job.

Quote:

Originally Posted by drmohitg (Post 4097916)

You may just be able to reset it through the idrive. In service required, when you highlight the vehicle check, then try and select the date shown. If the idrive can select it then you can just change the date from there. Otherwise the service centre will have to do it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akshay1234 (Post 4098103)
You may just be able to reset it through the idrive. In service required, when you highlight the vehicle check, then try and select the date shown.

Tried it today morning. But can't select through iDrive. So I guess will have to reschedule an appointment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akshay1234 (Post 4098103)
You may just be able to reset it through the idrive. In service required, when you highlight the vehicle check, then try and select the date shown. If the idrive can select it then you can just change the date from there. Otherwise the service centre will have to do it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by drmohitg (Post 4098256)
Tried it today morning. But can't select through iDrive. So I guess will have to reschedule an appointment.

This iDrive reset thing works on my f10 525d but doesn't on a friend's f30 320d for some reason, even when both systems are visually identical.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mtv (Post 4098410)
This iDrive reset thing works on my f10 525d but doesn't on a friend's f30 320d for some reason, even when both systems are visually identical.

Yes that is strange. Anyways got it taken care of today at the service centre. It was a 2 minute job. Although points reduced from service experience since they ought to have taken care of this during the scheduled service 2 days back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sahil (Post 4095715)
For me BMW brake pads have always lasted 30k kms+ This is also because I usually almost always put the car in P during long signals instead of keeping my foot on the brake. My drivers also have been instructed to strictly follow the same.

Brake pad wear depends on driving style. On my last service at 10k kms, the wear was not even detectable (the service incharge at Krishna, Chandigarh did say this is remarkable and he had never seen such a case before). Yes I do push the car hard occasionally in Sports mode 10% of the time, but normally use coasting etc). At this rate, the pads will last well beyond 50k.

When the car is stationary, it will make no difference to the pads whether or not we use P or foot on brake. The pads wear out when the car is moving. To conserve everything from fuel to gearbox, use the Auto start/stop.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbhiJ (Post 4095730)
thinking of taking part in a a legal drag race event soon with the BMW 320 D F30.

I was just curious, what is the fastest way to launch the F30 320D ?

Option 1) Sport Setting ON, Traction Control ON, Sport Gear Shift ON (Let the box handle the shifts). Don't Build revs, just floor at GO.

Option 2) Sport Setting ON, Traction Control OFF, Sport Gear Shift ON (Let the box handle the shifts). Don't Build revs, just floor at Launch.

Option 3) Sport Setting ON, Traction Control ON, Sport Gear Shift ON (Let the box handle the shifts). Build REVs at 2500 rpm and hold brakes. Let the brakes go.

The launch control process is detailed in the printed manual.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ais (Post 4099876)

The launch control process is detailed in the printed manual.

I tried and failed to find it. Please help me by guiding me to the right section if you can, thanks.

P.s. Just found it. I don't think it applies to me since I don't have launch control in my car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbanator (Post 4095820)
sure, it should. I always prefer this over Bluetooth as quality is superior and the phone gets charged.

I've tried using phone via Bluetooth and USB, and playing songs through the armrest port with a memory card.

Firstly, never use the USB port in the armrest to connect the phone with USB cable. This port should not be used for charging. This port is meant only for a USB memory card/stick.

Only the port/socket for cigarette lighter near the rear AC vents should be used for charging phones via an adaptor and USB cable.

So now, if we copy the songs from phone into a memory card and play them from the port in the armrest, we do see the songs list and can scroll on the display. However, the advantages of Bluetooth far outweigh this advantage of seeing the song list. They are-

1. The sound quality from the phone is far superior than what the car's audio system (9 speaker HiFi) can deliver with only Bass and Treble adjustment. The built in music player in Samsung phones has sound presets like 'Rock' that works beautifully. My present phone Moto G3 Turbo did not have a good music player, so after some research, I purchased Poweramp app, which is phenomenal.

2. We can create playlists on phones, not on memory cards.

3. Phones allow voice commands to change tracks, volume etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ais (Post 4099997)

Firstly, never use the USB port in the armrest to connect the phone with USB cable.

For connected drive and BMW apps, I have to hook up iPhone to that USB port. Unless I connect it there none of those work. If BMW designed it that way, I don't think it's a problem.

Iphone may be an exception. BMW service centre has advised against using the armrest port for charging. When I see the manual (not with me where I am presently), will post info if it is there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ais (Post 4100090)
Iphone may be an exception. BMW service centre has advised against using the armrest port for charging. When I see the manual (not with me where I am presently), will post info if it is there.

BMW has Apps for both iOS and Android platforms. Could you also check how is one supposed to connect the phone to the car if the armrest port is not to be used?

Thanks.