Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2021, 21:05   #2161
BHPian

re: BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review

Quote:
However, if it is a 520d, then I would probably prefer the 320d. 320d will be faster and more fun to drive than the larger and heavier 5 series with the same engine. The main charm of 5-seies is the 30d engine, which makes it a very special car.

The quoted prices are 30.5 lacs on the 320D and 42 lacs on the 520d luxury line. What do you think is a good price for the 5 series. I saw the car and really feel it is well maintained. To be very frank with you I am in my second half of my 40s and do not drive like I used to in my 20s and 30s, so a 520D would do just fine for me. And I am more focused on luxury than pure pleasure of driving. Before anyone says it, I am not looking at an MB

What is a good price that I can offer with the intent of buying it. The Car is with a JLR dealer, they probably picked it up as part fo exchange.

I have looked at the prices in Bengaluru for 5 series and this seems to be the one of lowest and more importantly genuine. I had instances of a car being sold by owner with KM reading as 99K and the same car being sold by a dealer with 58K on the ODO. So I am willing to pay a slight premium for the genuineness.

Last edited by shabash : 5th March 2021 at 21:20.
Old 5th March 2021, 21:39   #2162
BHPian

These are some of the Ads that I came across in Bangalore

https://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy...5-Series.html/

https://www.olx.in/item/bmw-5-series...iid-1624699322

https://www.carwale.com/used/cars-in...&rk=1&isP=true

As you can see there are no cars below 40 lacs when in 2018 to 2019 bracket. If any of you think there is something in the 35 lacs bracket, I am surely in for that.
shabash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2021, 07:18   #2163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabash View Post

As you can see there are no cars below 40 lacs when in 2018 to 2019 bracket. If any of you think there is something in the 35 lacs bracket, I am surely in for that.
Hello,
Below is my take after checking the ads
https://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy.../5-Series.html
This is a 2 owner car with low kms completed. Considering its already 2nd owner you can bargain hard but also if you do indeed plan to go ahead get a thorough inspection done by BMW to make sure there are no faults. Considering its driven less and already 2nd owner hopefully its not been sitting in a workshop for long duration. Ad mentions front tires are brand new - not sure why it had to be changed so early considering driven only 11k kms.
If the car still has extended warranty then you can look for max 39 lakhs or little lesser. If there is no extended warranty then reduce quote by around 2.5 lakh.

This is grossly overpriced. Max 43- 44 if still warranty intact. These are the kind of ads which put off prospective buyers.

The above 2 are 530d , this one is 520d driven lot more. Good thing is service pack taken for 4 years, but then owner might already consumed atleast 2 years service, so you will have max additional 2 yrs balance.
Also check if warranty still in place. You can try to get this within 40 lakhs

Below is the link to BMW ex-showroom prices in Oct 2019. This will help you to get a ball park figure what the owners might have paid few years back. Also factor in that 5 series new car discounts would have been atleast 5 to 10 lakhs.
https://www.bmw.in/content/dam/bmw/m...ist%202019.pdf

I think ''the bigger they are the harder they fall'' holds good for the 5 series. More reason for you to bargain harder. You can able to get a brand new 330i sport model for 47-48 on road in Blore post discounts, so spending 40 lakhs on a used 5 series might not be such a great idea (especially if there is no extended warranty and you have maintenance aspects to consider). Offcourse the sport model misses out on lot of goodies but the essence of BMW driving experience is preserved.
With the G20 3 series I feel its bridged the gap with 5 series even closer. G20 is bigger than its predecessor and feels sporty with better materials than the F30.
Hope this helps. Do let us know how it goes and also what price are the owners ready to let go the vehicles.

Last edited by nikhil_pon : 6th March 2021 at 07:20.
nikhil_pon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th March 2021, 11:25   #2164
BHPian

Quote:
The quoted prices are 30.5 lacs on the 320D and 42 lacs on the 520d luxury line. What do you think is a good price for the 5 series. I saw the car and really feel it is well maintained.
If the 320D sport comes with full service history and no accidents, 28L should be a good deal for the sport model. Also get the car evaluated at Navnit for around 7K to ensure a thorough check before you fully commit to buying.

You can opt for a 3 year BSI+ package for 320D that costs 1.7L for 3years/40K. This also covers the brake pads +discs besides the service once every 12K or 1 year.

I paid 23L for my 320D Luxury line 2015 model with 25K on the odometer.
indrangiri is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2021, 12:21   #2165
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Two things you need to keep in mind:

1) Why is the low run 530D up for sale, with 2 owners and such low mileage? Something seems off.

2) The other 5 series are newer gen G30 models, as compared to the F30 3 series you saw. Typically a generation change in this segment commands a cool Rs. 10-12L premium over the same year but previous gen car (only applicable for cars on sale presently. When the LCI 5 series is launched, prices could correct marginally).

3) As an option, do try and do some research on buying a car from another state : would it make sense to pay tax on depreciated value (if the law allows it) and buy a low run vehicle from say Delhi or Mumbai?

Coming to the vehicles:

BMW 3 Series F30 : SOFT suspension is a big fly in the ointment taking away from the driving pleasure along with lower seating. It's great if you'll push it to the limits but if you can stretch - the F10 5 series is a more solid cruiser and could be a good bet.
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2021, 17:25   #2166
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
BMW 3 Series F30 : SOFT suspension is a big fly in the ointment taking away from the driving pleasure along with lower seating. It's great if you'll push it to the limits but if you can stretch - the F10 5 series is a more solid cruiser and could be a good bet.
That was true for the pre-LCI F30. For the F30 LCI (2016 onward) this is not true. The suspension was improved in the LCI and the F30 LCI does not have what one could call as "soft" suspensions. The 2017 320d M Sports mentioned above will have very good ride quality as well as handling.
Dr.AD is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 7th March 2021, 14:41   #2167
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
That was true for the pre-LCI F30. For the F30 LCI (2016 onward) this is not true. The suspension was improved in the LCI and the F30 LCI does not have what one could call as "soft" suspensions. The 2017 320d M Sports mentioned above will have very good ride quality as well as handling.
I agree that it's been improved, but it is still on the softer side as compared to the E90, G20.
Compared to the 5 series, the weight balance, better power delivery, etc. do make it a more fun car when pushing it however the 5 series is undoubtedly better balanced in terms of ride & handling, and makes for a great cruiser.
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2021, 13:29   #2168
BHPian

Has any one changed battery of 320d. My car was standing since last 3 days without running and this morning, it didn't start, seems to be battery issue. Its almost 6 years since i bought this car and last year the running has been low due to Covid.

I called up the ASC they mentioned that they will first try by recharging the battery whole night and then get a report whether it needs to be changed or not. IF it needs to be replaced they are quoting 46k, which seems a big high. I was ready on forum and some members have gone and got it changed through FNG, so need to know what was their cost and which brand did they opt for.
amit_i is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2021, 19:10   #2169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_i View Post
Has any one changed battery of 320d. My car was standing since last 3 days without running and this morning, it didn't start, seems to be battery issue. Its almost 6 years since i bought this car and last year the running has been low due to Covid.

I called up the ASC they mentioned that they will first try by recharging the battery whole night and then get a report whether it needs to be changed or not. IF it needs to be replaced they are quoting 46k, which seems a big high. I was ready on forum and some members have gone and got it changed through FNG, so need to know what was their cost and which brand did they opt for.
It's quite likely you'll need a battery. In case that's true, get an AGM battery from outside, and not your regular Amaron (since BMW's and German's use these particular batteries for the stop start cycle). This thread details this a bit.

I believe this is the battery you'll need, and it costs about 23k, plus some coding. All in all, it'll cost you about half of what the dealer would charge.

I replaced my car battery with this battery last year as a pre-emptive measure (as I had some road trips coming up and didn't want to be stranded), and paid about INR 25k for this, give or take. This was inclusive of coding and some labour charges.

Last edited by iliketurtles : 19th May 2021 at 19:12.
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2021, 12:56   #2170
Distinguished - BHPian

BMW F30: Disabling remote boot opening

A question to fellow F30 owners:

Has unwanted/accidental boot opening happened to you?

It happened to me a couple of times. What happens is this: I parked my car, locked it, and went to a restaurant or some nearby place. And somehow the boot opening button on the key fob got accidentally pressed when the key was in my jeans pocket, and the boot flew open! It happened once when I had checked into a hotel and the car was parked in the hotel parking lot. Luckily, a security guard was saw this happening and contacted me in my hotel room. Second time, this happened when on a driving trip, we parked the car and went into a restaurant. Again, luckily, a security guard saw it and contacted us.

But this could happen anytime again, and I do not like this. The button to open the boot is too sensitive, and it is very easy to press it accidentally. This is a big security risk. Imagine you are in a coffee shop or a restaurant, and your car parked in the parking lot has its boot open (you may even have your shopping bags in the boot). Ideally, if the car was locked, I would expect the boot to not open. But the way BMW has programmed it, this boot open button overrides the door lock status, and will open the boot even if the car was locked.

Is there a way to disable this remote boot opening feature? I could not see this option in iDrive.

When I googled it, it looks like it is a common problem, and I found several discussions on bimmerpost. For example: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=876238

There people are suggesting using the BMW key case which covers the buttons and prevents accidental usage. I do not like the key case (I like the simplicity of directly using the key without case), but if there is no other way to disable this remote boot opening, I might have to get this key case just for the peace of mind.

Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks in advance!
Old 6th June 2021, 13:12   #2171
Team-BHP Support

Re: BMW F30: Disabling remote boot opening

Quote:
Is there a way to disable this remote boot opening feature? I could not see this option in iDrive.
Does your boot open on single press of the boot release button or does it require a long press? In my F34, boot open requires a long press.

Enabling/disabling this parameter should be possible using the OBD port and software like E-Sys or Bimmercode. I haven't personally checked this, but I believe it should be possible.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2021, 13:38   #2172
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Does your boot open on single press of the boot release button or does it require a long press? In my F34, boot open requires a long press.
F30 key is the same as in F34 (I think so). So yes, it does require one second long press for the boot to open. However, when the key is put a jeans pocket (which is usually a bit tighter than loose trouser pockets), it can get pressed for a second. That is what happened to me, and looks like several members on bimmerpost are also experiencing this. Does not happen all the times, but could happen on occasion (happened to me exactly twice so far).

Now I have become a bit more careful about this and I try to keep the key in a more careful manner. But I would like to disable this altogether if possible.

Quote:
Enabling/disabling this parameter should be possible using the OBD port and software like E-Sys or Bimmercode. I haven't personally checked this, but I believe it should be possible.
Thanks! I will talk to some "expert friends" (you know whom) and see if this can be disabled through coding :-)

However, was just wondering if it is only me or if anyone else here has also faced this issue on occasion.
Dr.AD is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2021, 16:00   #2173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
...In my F34, boot open requires a long press.
+1.

In my G01 too it is activated on long press. Additionally, I have oem leather jacket for the fob, provided FOC by dealer. It gives a second layer of safety. If you experienced this recently, could be a false trigger by the fob due to dust and grime on it. Get it cleaned thoroughly and also change the battery.

-BJ

Last edited by bj96 : 6th June 2021 at 16:01. Reason: Typo
bj96 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2021, 16:43   #2174
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
In my G01 too it is activated on long press. Additionally, I have oem leather jacket for the fob, provided FOC by dealer. It gives a second layer of safety. If you experienced this recently, could be a false trigger by the fob due to dust and grime on it. Get it cleaned thoroughly and also change the battery.
Thanks! Yes, the long press is required in my key too. It requires one second of press to open the boot. Good that you have the leather case. That seems to be the only solution. Even on bimmerpost people are suggesting the same solution. I think it will just get that leather case to be safe.

No, it is not a wrong signal or a false trigger. Both times it happened, the key got pressed in the pocket (for more than 1 second) as I sat down while wearing jeans with tight pocket. So the cause of the problem is quite clear. It has never happened when I started becoming more careful about not putting the keys in a tight pocket.

I was just wondering if anyone else has faced this too, and if anyone has managed to disable this remote boot opening through some code or some option in iDrive. Thanks.
Old 6th June 2021, 19:14   #2175
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
people are suggesting using the BMW key case which covers the buttons and prevents accidental usage. I do not like the key case (I like the simplicity of directly using the key without case)
Check this one. Mine always stay in this and I don't have to take it out ever. Alcantara is top grade on this and feels nice. Will be available with the dealership for around 4K.

https://www.amazon.in/BMW-8229235551.../dp/B071R8SL6G

Can't comment on the coding but there should be a valet button inside your glovebox/ armrest. You can manually keep the trunk in a locked position if you don't use it often.

Last edited by Turbanator : 6th June 2021 at 19:15.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks