Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2012, 16:52   #181

Re: Nissan Evalia : Official Review

I test drove the XV around a month back in Goa. Id pretty much read everything there was to read about the car beforehand, including Rehaans perfect review, so was prepared for everything in terms of expectations.

In the flesh it still did look odd, but thats no deal breaker for me. IMO the innova would be an option if there wasnt the danger of an updated version coming in the next two years. The TD itself was very uneventful, smooth, excellent ride, good space. The AC took time to cool off, but once we put on the second unit on the rear it was fine. The audio system sucks big time, and one would need to upgrade it and the speakers maybe.

The wheels are thin! and like you guys have pointed out, they are an LT (Light truck) version, so upsizing post purchase may need some thought, due to weight and load etc ratings.

I have booked the vehicle becos its fits my needs to the T. i,e,
- Small Turning radius and great city driving
- Manouverability
- Good seat height
- Good visibility
- Good ride - even with the existing tyres
- Oodles of space and lots of flexibility
- The looks are quite different and once I got used to it, I actually quite liked it. IMO people who think an Innova is the epitome of good looks need to seriously look overseas and get a reorientation check. This look is the future of the MPV, so better get used to it. About the Xylo, I wouldnt even talk about it - looks like a pig, rides like one too!

The only hassle is that the dealer doesnt have a clue about deliveries, and its going to be a month now. They had promised a month's time but they still dont have a clue abt when it will reach here.

So once I get this thingie I will post some pics etc.

Last edited by GTO : 12th November 2012 at 12:18. Reason: SMS Lingo. Please post only in full words in future.
varunnaidu is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th November 2012, 21:12   #182
BHPian

Spent some 15 mins at Marvel Nissan, Salem checking out Evalia. There was indeed a show vehicle decorated with ribbons. Not sure if that is for some delivery? or just decorations? If booked, you get the new piece delivered within a month. No offers at all. That's what I was told.

The biggest shock to me was - the tyres. From a common man's perspective, they looked like the thin non-radial tyres in old Maruti 800s. Made me nervous at the first sight. Next, the ingress and egress at the driver level was good. Holding the steering made me feel like I am driving a Real VAN! Very good space, no cramped feeling at all.

The good show ended up with the first row of seats. The middle row and last row of seats are totally the opposite of front row experience. I was comfortable, but not comfortable at the middle row, and totally uncomfortable in the last row. Under thigh support was not good. I am 5-9, and I felt like sitting on a low-height stool. The hanging nylon pullers looked cheap and after-market'ish. I just couldnt digest that this metal box with nice front row seats, and mediocre middle row seats and poor last row seats costs Rs.11.4 lacs on road.

I really do not know what is the USP of Evalia, when it comes to passenger comfort overall (not just the driver). I feel Evalia will be sold for all its practicality and dCI engine. But there are better choices out there for people who really cares about passengers and comfort. My overall preference goes like this: Xylo -> Innova -> Evalia.
rajeshsundaram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2012, 13:27   #183
Senior - BHPian

Almost same experience here.

Few days back walked into Nath Nissan (Mathura Road, New Delhi) to have a dekho at the Evalia. They had displayed a slightly modified (with wider car tyres, instead of the thinner truck tyres shod on the test drive vehicle). The interiors seemed well appointed & spacious, but spartan. Even my father, who is not a petrol head & was reluctant to go to the dealership, suggested that the upgraded version would be good for our family instead.

At present, he prefers Innova & Ertiga over this vehicle in current form.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2012, 13:36   #184
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Middle and last row seats do not have proper under thigh support. Not only that , they are very hard in comparison
Old 15th November 2012, 13:39   #185
Senior - BHPian

Have the dealers started taking supplies from Nissan? I am yet to see an Evalia on road.
Old 15th November 2012, 13:58   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Have the dealers started taking supplies from Nissan? I am yet to see an Evalia on road.
If I can recall correctly, deliveries were to commence in the second half of Nov-12 (i.e. tomorrow on) in Delhi. Not sure about when the deliveries shall commence in other regions.
Old 18th November 2012, 19:25   #187
Senior - BHPian

I had a test ride yesterday. i will not buy this vehicle come what may.

What was not good:
- The XE+ variant comes without a 3rd row AC. Even that AC is a contraption i could not feel on the LHS, or in the 2nd row. Don't think its meant for gurgaon 45C heat.
- The ride quality is absolutely unsettled. It is WORSE than the swift, esp in the front. It is not a patch on the Sunny. Of course, this is after cruising on broken tarmac at40 kph (like i do everyday for 1km!).
- The gear throw is unsettlingly long.
- The seat height is too much. You need to be careful getting down from the driver seat.
- I could not see the front left edge of the car despite being high/tall enough. I expect that when i settle for a van!
- Random cost cutting at a 10L price point (XE+): No glovebox, No fog lamps, No central locking, autodown power windows
- The very smart instrument console is soul killing - it has a shaded arc wedge instead of tachometer needles (no fun!).

What i liked:
- It is otherwise FUN to drive - its FAST and can somehow be thrown into corners (like a snake's tail following its head or such). i was happier with its performance. not like swift, but very car-like
- Awesome clutch (the car had done <500km)
- Turning radius was quite manageable
- it is wide. You have a lot of distance between driver and navigator.
- the space- its a double bed equivalent space with the rear seats folded up.

Current offers are 25k exchange bonus, 7k towards any accessories.
Old 27th November 2012, 15:05   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP

If I can recall correctly, deliveries were to commence in the second half of Nov-12 (i.e. tomorrow on) in Delhi. Not sure about when the deliveries shall commence in other regions.
Deliveries started in goa in end oct. Theyve sold 5-6 vehicles since then
Old 6th December 2012, 00:13   #189
Senior - BHPian

Spotted an Evalia on road for the first time today. I was in a friend's Vento and the Evalia did not look much taller. I could be wrong because I just caught a glimpse of it as it went past us in the opposite direction. Looks good from the front.
Old 18th December 2012, 15:56   #190

Hey i just completed a trip in the evalia from goa to lonavala and back. It was still within the running in / breaking in period i.e. Keeping revs below 2500 rpm fr 1600 kms. I drove at speeds not exceeding 100 kmh, , covered 1050 kms and obtained a mileage of 17 kmpl. No problems with the vehicle, great on the highway, didnt feel much of biffeting due to cross winds, tyres (surprisingly) were good. Narrow section 165/70 meant braking distances were longer and had to be calibrated well beforehand. Ac could be better, bit ive put in v kool film so im not feeling the heat. Very happy wth my purchase.
varunnaidu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th December 2012, 18:06   #191
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunnaidu View Post
I drove at speeds not exceeding 100 kmh, , covered 1050 kms and obtained a mileage of 17 kmpl. No problems with the vehicle, great on the highway, didnt feel much of biffeting due to cross winds, tyres (surprisingly) were good.
The FE would be the USP of this car over the Innova and if it proves even half as reliable as the latter than Nissan has got a winner on there hands atleast as far as the Taxi segment goes which makes up for a substantial number of Innova's sales. An FE of 17-18 kmpl would translate in almost 70-80% more no. of Kms covered in the same amount of fuel w.r.t. Innova which is fantastic news for any Taxi operator.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2012, 18:20   #192
Senior - BHPian

Nice report there varunnaidu! How was the engine behaving with a full load? Did you get to do some hill driving?
Old 18th December 2012, 19:13   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
which is fantastic news for any Taxi operator.
Maybe it will turn a blessing in disguise for Toyota that the taxi segment shifts to the Evalia and they are able to return Innova to a premium family lifestyle vehicle placing that they have been trying it to be.

Last edited by dkaile : 18th December 2012 at 19:15.
Old 18th December 2012, 21:01   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Maybe it will turn a blessing in disguise for Toyota that the taxi segment shifts to the Evalia and they are able to return Innova to a premium family lifestyle vehicle placing that they have been trying it to be.
I sometimes feel that the Innova has become a bit overpriced and they might need to do some renegineering to the car to keep it in contention. On the other hand, for people looking for a decent 8 seater, there are sadly no other options available
Old 18th December 2012, 22:06   #195
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
But sir out of the average of 6000 Innovas that Toyota dispatches evry month ( according to our monthly threads) I assume that atleast 40-50% of these are being lapped up by the Taxi segment. or am I wrong and this number is negligible? A fall in the number from the current constant 5-6k to around 2-3k is going to hurt them. More so when even those private customers are being pampered by Duster, Ertiga, XUV500 and Yeti.

Edit: Anyways this might not be an appropriate thread to discuss the sales dynamics of Innova .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks