Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2012, 08:22   #1096
Senior - BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Wow. At such pricing and as loaded as it appears to be, it is head to head against the Yeti and Tiguan and such-like, it seems!
Please can you check on the relative pricing and features of the Yeti and Tiguan in those markets? Provided of course they exist there!
Seems to me they should because VW has a reasonable presence in South America as far as I know.
Looking forward to your inputs!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Guys,

I test drove the Duster 1.6 litre Ethanol-Petrol Flex engine in Brazil today.
Wow is the word. The Brazilian Duster also comes with a 7 inch touch screen in the dash as standard for the variant i drove and a list of OE accessories making the car look more sporty and makes it look more muscular and Butch.

The price of the lowest variant of Duster starts at around 55,000 Reals (which translates into Rs. 14 Lakhs) going all the way up to 80,000 Reals (Rs. 21 Lakhs) for the 2.0 Lite .

I have the brochures with me and will post them along with the photos when i get access to my lap top. The brochure has all the accessories which makes the Duster look cool.
Old 5th October 2012, 11:15   #1097
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Guys,
For all those who think they would cancel the booking and wait for the Eco Sport, i have news... I test drove the Eco Sport back to back with the Duster and the Duster feels so much better to drive. Will post a detailed comparison in a separate thread.
First off, a huge thanks to MAS for this wonderful info and comparison

As per wikipedia, the Ecosport in brazil is 4.3 m whereas in India it is planned as a sub 4 metre SUV.This does not bode well for Ecosport if compared with Duster purely on the comfort and space aspect.
Now we will have to see how Maruti XA Alpha and Chevy Trax fare, though I suppose that is a long way off. Duster will have a free reign with zero competition a little bit longer than expected, I guess.
Old 5th October 2012, 11:30   #1098
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy View Post
First off, a huge thanks to MAS for this wonderful info and comparison

As per wikipedia, the Ecosport in brazil is 4.3 m whereas in India it is planned as a sub 4 metre SUV.This does not bode well for Ecosport if compared with Duster purely on the comfort and space aspect.
Now we will have to see how Maruti XA Alpha and Chevy Trax fare, though I suppose that is a long way off. Duster will have a free reign with zero competition a little bit longer than expected, I guess.
First off, huge thanks to MAS for this information. I was one of those who was following both Duster and Ecosport right from the beginning (AutoExpo). I finally decided not to wait for the EcoSport primarily because of the size, I couldnt have faced my wife after spending 12 lakhs when she struggled with rear bench room or luggage space

I am really surprised about the other negative things MAS has experienced, such as ride quality and plastics. I expected no issues there in EcoSport.

The key clarification I need from MAS though is was the EcoSport he drove really 4.3m? And despite that size issues? If true, what will happen for the Indian 4m version?
Old 5th October 2012, 11:44   #1099
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy View Post
Increase in raw material cost = increase in landing cost.
With an unladen weight of 1375 Kgs of steel, an increase of Rs.10 per kg(which is really not the case in the present scenario) will entail a maximum increase of Rs.13750/-. Truth is steel prices are pretty stable for the last two months.
In fact in reality, possibly the cost impact of steel is lower. Remember that the 1375kg figure is the all up kerb weight of the vehicle and include engine, powertrain, suspension, rubber components, all trims, fluids, wheels & tyres, various sealants, electricals and harnesses, safety systems, glasses etc.

The max amount of steel in a motor vehicle goes into the bodyshell which is popularly known as the Body -in - White [BIW] .
For a mid size SUV like Duster the BIW should not be more than 350kgs max so the cost impact will be negligible.
However the bought out items, especially rubber & plastic components from vendors may see a input cost hike as vendors may find it difficult to make ends it and pleads with the OEM to give them a better price.

Of course, there's also the little thing called the Greedy Eyed Monster tucked away somewhere in the Accounts section of Renault wanting to crank up prices for better profitability & operating margins, specially when the product has been a blockbuster hit !
Old 5th October 2012, 11:56   #1100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsing3 View Post
Went to Sariska Tiger Reserve yesterday, covered almost 400 kms. Few kms stretch were full of potholes and broken road. But the Duster performance was fantastic. Road presence was amazing, as people driving Fortuner were also interested in taking a glance at it. Got a mileage of 19.2 kmpl. What more i could have asked for
Hey Jsing3, 19.2 kmpl is great considering how little your car's done . I've crossed 1400kms in my Duster but the avg is around 17kmpl. But that has been increasing from 11 kmpl since I bought the car. Any tips on how you got more mileage than others?

Quote:
Originally Posted by suchit23 View Post
OK now they are saying the original price was introductory and hence the hike instead of saying increased inputs cost and rupee value. At least now it makes some sense if not good pricing. Summary is, Duster is outside the VFM bracket in India. Thankfully, as somebody said the 85 PS will still be affordable for people with a 11-12 lakhs budget. On the long run the 85 PS will become synonymous to the Duster and the 110 will find few performance hungry takers with some extra bucks!
Do correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the XUV also have introductory pricing which was hiked later? Why is there such a backlash against Renault's price hike. Car makers across the board have been hiking prices when needed! Don't forget that when demand slackens companies and dealers offer discounts and freebies to sell more - which is what Renault will also do if required. I agree on the 85 being VFM for a large segment of people who can get the mid-level 85 at around 11L. To me nothing compares or even comes close to that value at that price.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 5th October 2012 at 23:22.
Old 5th October 2012, 15:40   #1101
BHPian

I am quite interested in the Duster, but am put off by the cheap looking rear A.C. Is is possible to fit a roof mounted A.C like in the Qualis (after market)?
Old 5th October 2012, 15:55   #1102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clouseau

Why is there such a backlash against Renault's price hike. Car makers across the board have been hiking prices when needed!
I think it's mostly because when it comes to the Duster there is a real feeling of being fleeced (as well as being taken for granted) among most of the knowledgeable buyers.

Everybody knows that it's based on a platform that has already recovered its costs many times over. Everybody knows that it is born out of a philosophy of providing a competent product at a reasonable price. Everybody knows that the Duster and the Logan are siblings that even share body parts.

Renault/Dacia position and sell it as a cheap (or value for money, take your pick) product in all other markets where the Duster is sold.

But Renault chose to not position it as a VFM product in india. Compared to other markets we really were being charged a premium for this product. Now comes this price hike and people cannot easily digest that, especially when they know that India-made Dusters are being positioned as VFM in the UK.

In my opinion Renault the parent company will be adjusting good profit margins in Renault UK against huge profit margins in Renault India, as far as the Duster is concerned. It is natural for Indian customers to feel that little hollow of dissatisfaction in their minds.

It's apples and oranges, but nobody minds shelling out a premium for an iPhone because it is not positioned as a VFM product anywhere in the world, including India. I hope what I'm trying to say makes sense.

Last edited by snkjr : 5th October 2012 at 16:00.
snkjr is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th October 2012, 17:14   #1103
BHPian

Hmm I had booked 110 RxZ on july 5th (Chennai, Khivraj Pearl), called SA fearing the worst and was told that i will have to face a 50k hike. In fact the SA told me that Renault told them that they are gonna reverse the protection clause.

Then gave a call to Renault customer care, who then confirmed multiple times that i will not be subject to price hike.

Gave a call back to dealer reception asking them to put me on to the sales manager, which they didnt, but collected the required information and then told me they will talk to their ASM and get back...so fingers crossed for now.
Old 5th October 2012, 18:27   #1104
BHPian

@ snkjr, i agree with you 100%. Renault uses our land, electricity, cheap labour, tax concessions and sell duster for less price abroad and charge Indians a bomb here. Soon, Duster will take the logan route in the market if they don't correct this. Also their A.S.S is also a big question to charge this premium.
Old 5th October 2012, 18:47   #1105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clouseau View Post
Hey Jsing3, 19.2 kmpl is great considering how little your car's done . I've crossed 1400kms in my Duster but the avg is around 17kmpl. But that has been increasing from 11 kmpl since I bought the car. Any tips on how you got more mileage than others?
I've run around 1400KM, 110 PS version. Got around 16.5 (below 1000 kms on the odo) in the highways. Getting around 12.5 inside city with average speeds of ~20 kmph. I hope it will improve by couple of kms once I know the car better and once it is run in. The mileage you are getting is for 110 ps or 85 ps ?
Old 5th October 2012, 19:44   #1106
BHPian

Hi All,

I got my 85ps Opt 2 weeks back and have driven around 800 kms in the city.

The average is around 14.4 all city driving

Sid
kumarsiddhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2012, 21:39   #1107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clouseau

Do correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the XUV also have introductory pricing which was hiked later? Why is there such a backlash against Renault's price hike. Car makers across the board have been hiking prices when needed! Don't forget that when demand slackens companies and dealers offer discounts and freebies to sell more - which is what Renault will also do if required. I agree on the 85 being VFM for a large segment of people who can get the mid-level 85 at around 11L. To me nothing compares or even comes close to that value at that price.
I agree but XUV's introductory price was really mouth watering where as Duster's original price itself was on the higher side in my personal opinion.
Old 5th October 2012, 21:54   #1108
BHPian

I agree. Another reason is that the Duster has always been a VFM proposition whereas the XUV was the most premium vehicle from the M&M stable. Duster abroad is amongst the cheapest vehicles which is not the case here.
Old 6th October 2012, 12:58   #1109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snkjr View Post
I think it's mostly because when it comes to the Duster there is a real feeling of being fleeced (as well as being taken for granted) among most of the knowledgeable buyers.

It's apples and oranges, but nobody minds shelling out a premium for an iPhone because it is not positioned as a VFM product anywhere in the world, including India. I hope what I'm trying to say makes sense.
You're definitely making sense about the iPhone being non-VFM. It shouldn't be 'apples and oranges' - so mid-level 85 Duster at @11L versus similar priced Scorpio & Safari variants is what I'm saying. The Duster is VFM for me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharninder View Post
I agree. Another reason is that the Duster has always been a VFM proposition whereas the XUV was the most premium vehicle from the M&M stable. Duster abroad is amongst the cheapest vehicles which is not the case here.
M&M are soon going to launch the Rexton so let's see which is their premium offering then!

But having seen a lot of responses to my point about the Duster being VFM - let's take a broader look. Toyota positioned the Corolla as a premium midsize here and and in all major markets Toyota sells it as an entry-level midsize. This is because market dynamics are different here (and the Corolla is still a hit). You mean Toyota, Honda etc didn't recover their common design and platform costs already? C'mon - that's the way the auto game is played so why won't Renault try to do the same?

The Duster was never meant to compete in the 6 to 8 lakhs category with sedans. It was meant to be in the entry SUV segment alongside Safaris, Scorpios and the like, but more premium than the Bolero. Anybody who expected otherwise deserves to be surprised today. When you run a business you will try to sell a product at the largest premium it can command. Having said that, the 85 seems ok to me but I do agree the 110 top-level may be overpriced when you see what else is up there...

Note From team-BHP Support-Staff: Please avoid putting up consecutive posts. Use the 'EDIT' and MULTI-QUOTE options within 30-minutes instead. This is your final warning.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 7th October 2012 at 11:39.
Clouseau is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2012, 13:28   #1110
BHPian

The XUV was a fantastic deal when launched, and the frenzy and crazy lottery testifies to that. Not so much now with the hikes.

The Duster was priced higher by 50-75k than expected by most media and feedback here, and now with the hike it is a bit too close to the XUV and Yeti Active (14.7 OTR after discounts)

The Yeti has much better interiors, refinement and build. When you spend 14 lakhs you want to feel it and touch it. The Duster makes you feel you are sitting in a sub 9 lakh vehicle.

Brazil is not the best example for pricing. I have colleagues there and like us they are in a mad rush to buy stuff when we are in the US for global meets. Apparently everything from electronics to cars are a huge rip off, a bit like India, though in electronics we are slightly better now. Its the same forces at play there for car prices I guess.

A 14 lakhs car has to feel like a 14 lakh car, a lot of folks could overlook this for the much praised ride quality.

Folks like GTO who review cars have an informed perspective and their opinion and feedback has value. I wonder however if there is any way to quantify the ride quality.

Last edited by raul : 6th October 2012 at 13:34.
raul is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks