Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2018, 18:46   #5881
Team-BHP Support

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
Thanks Ampere. Hows the performance of LTX Force? My AWD stock wanderers are touching 46k and closer to replacement. Considering Primacy SUV, LTX or Contis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
Primacy SUV seem like a better option since they are lighter than the off road oriented LTX unless your'e going for the rugged look only or your driving involves nore time off the road. Have been using them since last 26k km.

Agree to @TGO's comments. If you need highway tyres, Primacy SUV and if you need AT then LTX. I was in favour of Primacy. But then moved to LTX (Bangalore is anyway OTR trail! )

I have not done enough yet with it. Maybe 700/1000km max. Overall I am OK. I can surely say it feels more rugged than the softer Latitudes which I had before and which I changed after about 50K.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2018, 22:42   #5882
BHPian

Dear Duster Owners,

I would like to seek your expert advice in picking up used Duster RXL for someone in the family.

Brief description of the car;

Renault Duster
Variant RXL 85PS
Make 2012
Odo 62K.
Fuel Diesel
RTO Rajasthan

Few questions if Duster connoisseur can answer here;

1. What shall be the apt price?
2. How reliable Renault engines are for keeping until 2-3 lacs kms?
3. Cost of ownership/ service cost?
4. Expected mileage?
5. This vehicle will be used primarily on highways for 100-150 kms daily as a workhorse, how is ride and handling?

Please drop your thoughts and valuable advice on taking this forward.

Thanks Much!!
Varoon9999
Old 9th October 2018, 17:53   #5883
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varoon9999 View Post
1. What shall be the apt price?
4 Lac considering it is RxL

Quote:
2. How reliable Renault engines are for keeping until 2-3 lacs kms?
Very reliable can easily do 3 Lac km. Clutch change in 85PS models is cheaper than 110 PS models. Depends on driving style.

Quote:
3. Cost of ownership/ service cost?
5k,10k INR alternating at intervals of 10k km. If upgrading from an economy car be aware that everything costs 1.5 times. Tyres, labour charges, wear and tear parts, accessories everything is more expensive. Accident and breakdown repair will be really expensive since parts are expensive. you can buy extended warranty which Renault now offers till 1 lac km and 7 years (whichever is earlier). recommended because usage is high.

Quote:
4. Expected mileage?
14-16 city / 18-20 highway

Quote:
5. This vehicle will be used primarily on highways for 100-150 kms daily as a workhorse, how is ride and handling?
Excellent

Should be a good option if you get a nicely maintained car at that price. 65k km is very low mileage.

Mod Note: Please avoid responding withing the quoted post. It breaks the flow discussion for the subsequent responses

Last edited by ampere : 9th October 2018 at 20:17.
Tgo is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2018, 14:05   #5884
BHPian

This is what some kids in society have done with my Duster. The scratch looks quite prominent. What could be the best solution? Should I claim it under insurance ?
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster : Official Review-1539505930864605254716.jpg  

Old 24th October 2018, 18:19   #5885
BHPian

Folks , quick questions:
1. Are any of you facing problems with the OEM mic provided ? People find it very difficult to hear me over bluetooth
2. Are you happy with the light throw of Duster? I changed OEM bulbs to Osram NB, light throw is better, but I am looking for better lights. Any suggestions?
3. My AC efficiency has reduced somewhat. Can a clogged cabin air filter play a role in that?
4. Is there anyway to reduce external noise from seeping into the cabin? Has anyone ordered those p type , dtype seals with 3m stickers? If yes, can anyone guide me with exact types required and quantity/length?

I own a 2016 85 PS RXS

Last edited by adg_andy : 24th October 2018 at 18:23.
Old 30th October 2018, 11:21   #5886
BHPian

^^^

1. Yes, even I am facing issues with the Mic. Have to shout if the other person has to hear, quite embarrassing.

2. Lights are very poor, I have upgraded to 100/90 Philips. But the focus is pathetic and the manual leveling doesn't help either. I was looking for LED projector fog lamps as I don't want to do any more modification to the headlights.

All, any suggestion for LED Projector Fog lamps for highway use?

3. Also I am facing issues with my Medianav system. The entertainment system keeps playing (radio/AUX) but there is no sound out put. I have to switch of the car and reboot the entertainment system by holding the on/off button and the volume down button. Then it start playing and there is sound output, but the moment I start the car the entertainment system reboots and there is no sound output again. Service center couldn't figure out

4. There is significant metal sound from the front left suspension and right side is fine. Got usual answer from the service center to change the front shocks. Can I change the suspension pad/bush outside the service center in Bangalore? Any suggestion of FNG in Bangalore

Mine is a 2015 85 RXL with 53K KMS

Regards
Old 30th October 2018, 14:00   #5887
BHPian

According to this report in NDTV, Renault has stopped production of 85ps version of Duster.

https://auto.ndtv.com/news/renault-d...&category=news

Report also suggests, company isn't stopping sale as of now. But due to poor demand and inventory full of 85ps stock, they are halting 85ps to focus more on the 110ps version.
Old 30th October 2018, 14:06   #5888
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaXal View Post
According to this report in NDTV, Renault has stopped production of 85ps version of Duster.
Bad News

Renault service is patchy and spares are already expensive. In Future with supply of spares being disrupted over years, it will be a nightmare to maintain the Duster. I already have a palio GTX and looks like will have to go through another cycle of same experience.

Regards
chandrda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2018, 17:54   #5889
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
3. Also I am facing issues with my Medianav system. The entertainment system keeps playing (radio/AUX) but there is no sound out put. I have to switch of the car and reboot the entertainment system by holding the on/off button and the volume down button. Then it start playing and there is sound output, but the moment I start the car the entertainment system reboots and there is no sound output again. Service center couldn't figure out

4. There is significant metal sound from the front left suspension and right side is fine. Got usual answer from the service center to change the front shocks.
for point no:

3. I got the media nav system video and showed it to the service center. They removed the system and sent it to Chennai for repair/replacement. In the mean time I also got the battery changed. The system was returned with a replacement of a chip. So not sure if it was the old battery or the chip replacement which solved the problem. I too have a 2015 car. Was surprised how the battery went withing 3 years. It was a Mfg. Year 2014 car so maybe the battery died while sitting in the car lot at the factory.

4. I am living with it. Its probably metal to metal squeak coming from the spring mount on the shock absorber. Try to get them to check it thoroughly. Be persistent even if you have to drop the vehicle off a number of times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
I already have a palio GTX and looks like will have to go through another cycle of same experience.
Regards
Problem with the Palio was it was a lone product from a time when produsts were not as reliable as they are today.

The Duster shares its components (engine, suspension, electricals etc.) with the Logan, Verito, Scala/Micra, Pulse/Sunny, Fluence, Terrano, Lodgy, Captur. If you add up all the sales figures it amounts to a substantial number of vehicles using similar serviceable parts on Indian roads.

It won't be a hassle free experience but sourcing parts and planning services well in advance is what might be the scenario.

Last edited by aah78 : 30th October 2018 at 19:26. Reason: Posts merged on request.
Tgo is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2018, 11:22   #5890
BHPian

Quote:
I got the media nav system video and showed it to the service center.
Whenever I took the Duster to service center, I could replicate the problem only once and then it started to work immediately. Now have started insisting to thoroughly check the Medianav and update it.

Quote:
I too have a 2015 car. Was surprised how the battery went withing 3 years. It was a Mfg. Year 2014 car so maybe the battery died while sitting in the car lot at the factory.
Surprisingly my battery is holding though its fours years old as it was manufactured in Nov 2014. But I think there are hints that its fading. The headlight dims when I turn the steering when the Duster is moving.

Quote:
4. I am living with it. Its probably metal to metal squeak coming from the spring mount on the shock absorber. Try to get them to check it thoroughly. Be persistent even if you have to drop the vehicle off a number of times.
Will do once the Festival season is over. As entire Bangalore is under construction, its very irritating to drive with the sound.

Quote:
Problem with the Palio was it was a lone product from a time when produsts were not as reliable as they are today.

The Duster shares its components (engine, suspension, electricals etc.) with the Logan, Verito, Scala/Micra, Pulse/Sunny, Fluence, Terrano, Lodgy, Captur. It won't be a hassle free experience but sourcing parts and planning services well in advance is what might be the scenario.
Agree, that parts wont be a problem to source. But its the price of the spares which will kill the joy owning the Duster. Same thing happened with Palio, the price of spare parts started hitting the roof.
Old 9th November 2018, 16:48   #5891
BHPian

Mumbai Duster owners, any suggestions for a reliable FNG that I can take the Duster to for regular service and maintenance? With the closure of Gen Next service in Andheri, the closest ASCs from where I stay are in Navi Mumbai and Thane - both of which are at least 35km (meaning 2 hours drive) away. Personally, I don't have the appetite to spend an entire day overseeing the service, and I am not comfortable just handing over the car to these chaps without knowing first hand how they go about their business.

Any suggestions in the vicinity of central Mumbai would be much appreciated (I live in Worli).
Old 16th November 2018, 15:54   #5892
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to Praveen Bhargav for sending this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Quote:
I have read the discussions on your forum on Wheel Alignment specs and felt that the attached spec sheet which I got from Renault may be of interest to many of your members.

Please do consider posting it on your website.

Thanks and Best
Renault Duster : Official Review-wheel-alignment-datapage001.jpg
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th November 2018, 19:57   #5893
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
Folks , quick questions:
1. Are any of you facing problems with the OEM mic provided ? People find it very difficult to hear me over bluetooth
Its due to the poor noise cancellation of the unit, its exaggerated since the sound insulation is poor in Duster

Quote:
2. Are you happy with the light throw of Duster? I changed OEM bulbs to Osram NB, light throw is better, but I am looking for better lights. Any suggestions?
Proper LED projectors are expensive. Better option is to get a decent quality HID projectors.

Quote:
3. My AC efficiency has reduced somewhat. Can a clogged cabin air filter play a role in that?
Yes, very much if the throw is less.

Quote:
4. Is there anyway to reduce external noise from seeping into the cabin? Has anyone ordered those p type , dtype seals with 3m stickers? If yes, can anyone guide me with exact types required and quantity/length?
With just the seals you wont get the desired result, need proper sound proofing. check with goo.gl/gh22mm
::CMS:: is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2018, 22:36   #5894
BHPian

I’ve a 2016 model Duster and off-late I see that gear gets stuck in 1st and need to put some additional force or continue in 1st gear a bit for the shift to happen to 2nd.

Checked with SA in the last service and they told it would be resolved with service but the problem still persists. It’s very random and difficult to reproduce. Also I’ve a bit of shuddering effect in 1st gear and that also is random.

The car has run around 30k and mostly in Bangalore traffic.

Anybody faced the same issue and have pointer ?
Old 20th November 2018, 04:10   #5895
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNayak View Post
I’ve a 2016 model Duster and off-late I see that gear gets stuck in 1st and need to put some additional force or continue in 1st gear a bit for the shift to happen to 2nd.

Also I’ve a bit of shuddering effect in 1st gear and that also is random.
Duster is known to have premature clutch wear out, would advise you to take the vehicle to service center.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks