Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2018, 15:44   #5746
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-Ker View Post
Mouth watering prices .
I agree to what you say. the timing belt kit and accessories belt is the same for Logan. I spent almost a lakh on the service bills till my 60k service that I got done at asc. It burned me and turned all my ownership joy to pain. Finally I shifted to my fng, service bills are in the range of 3.5k to 4.5k every 10000 kms. (which I cover every two months) So service cost is very important to me. Now I love the duster. Sourcing parts is a headache, I don't know why Renault India has no retail counter for parts, I thought it was mandatory by court order. That's why I won't buy the next gen duster even though I love the design. I think they will change all the engine components shared with Logan and then there would be no option but the asc.

Last edited by mh09ad5578 : 3rd February 2018 at 15:57. Reason: spellcheck
mh09ad5578 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th February 2018, 12:17   #5747

My Duster 85 PS diesel refused to start one fine morning.
I assumed it could be because of the battery(served me well for almost 5 years), called up Renault roadside assistance and they promptly sent a MyTvs mechanic, certified by Renault.
He came along with a battery and tried to jump start but to no avail.
He then proceeded to crank, physically pumped the fuel supply pipes, loosened up 4 large bolts(i don't know what these were) and kept trying, but again my Duster did not budge.
He suggested that the problem could either be with the ECM unit or the Diesel pump and that the vehicle has to be towed to the service center only. This was informed to Renault roadside assistance and they sent a towing vehicle (Again by MyTvs). We pushed the car up from basement parking and managed to mount it on the tow lorry and it was delivered in Renault service center, Silk board, Bangalore.
This happend on Sunday, 4th Feb.
The problem with the car was difficult to diagnose. Today got a call from the service center saying that the problem could be because of fuel injectors.
They replaced the injectors from another car's and found that the car started. Now they are telling me that 3 fuel injectors (totaling to about 75K) needs to be replaced.
The reason for injector failure according to them is because of excessive cranking, sediments from the diesel tank has gotten into it. I have my own doubts and suspect the ingenuity of the ASC's assesment. The reasons are below:
1. The MyTvs mechanic is a friend of my service adviser and told me on Sunday itself that if any parts are required, I can purchase from him directly (at a lesser cost than what the ASC quotes-he maintained he got it from the factory in Chennai) and fit it in the ASC itself
2. I doubt if it is a practice of MyTvs to get the vehicle towed - since it gives them additional revenue from Renault
3. If the problem was indeed with the fuel injector, which was damaged due to excessive cranking, then why did my Duster not start in the first place?
4. Even if the above was true, the excessive cranking was done by the renault authorized mechanic and not me. I tried twice and promptly called assistance.
5. If the mistake is due to the mechanic, why should I shell out 75K?

Please suggest how do I proceed. What should my stand be?
Odo Reading-1.5 Lakhs, 2013 model.
josephnishanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2018, 12:30   #5748
BHPian

You are lucky that the injectors lasted so long. Two of mine (Duster AWD) failed at 35K km. I expect the injectors last about 1 lakh km. But if one injector is functional, the vehicle should start. Did you notice any engine warning lights go on earlier? All reported injector failure cases had the engine warning lights come on. The injectors are costly, each around 25K.
SajiNSalin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2018, 14:00   #5749
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephnishanth View Post
My Duster 85 PS diesel refused to start one fine morning.
Now they are telling me that 3 fuel injectors (totaling to about 75K) needs to be replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SajiNSalin View Post
You are lucky that the injectors lasted so long. Two of mine (Duster AWD) failed at 35K km. I expect the injectors last about 1 lakh km. But if one injector is functional, the vehicle should start. Did you notice any engine warning lights go on earlier? All reported injector failure cases had the engine warning lights come on. The injectors are costly, each around 25K.
I have only heard of injector problems in 110PS engines which use piezo injectors. Since yours is a 85 PS version, you would the magneto injectors. I have not come across magneto injectors failing.

Also, the piezo-injectors in 110 PS cost 25k. How can the magneto injectors (low tech than piezo) cost the same. Please check with the ASC with these facts.

Also, do check the injector actuators as well.

Regards,

Pawan
PapaBravo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2018, 14:41   #5750
BHPian

My Duster also refused to start after parking for 20 mins(after a spirited 20 min run). I had parked it on a steep incline. I pushed the car down to level ground and waited for 10 minutes, after which the car started in a single crank. This issue happened in Vizag araku valley last year too (spirited run, followed by parking on steep incline).

OT: I just did Kolkata-Bangalore last month and I was so pleased with my car. Apart from the comfortable drive, the huge boot space was a boon. Had a 40 inch led tv, 2 huge suitcases and all other empty spaces were packed with clothes . I did not even have to put flat the rear seat and our daughter slept peacefully throughout Got an overall mileage of 14.8
adg_andy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2018, 09:31   #5751

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBravo View Post
I have only heard of injector problems in 110PS engines which use piezo injectors. Since yours is a 85 PS version, you would the magneto injectors. I have not come across magneto injectors failing.

Also, the piezo-injectors in 110 PS cost 25k. How can the magneto injectors (low tech than piezo) cost the same. Please check with the ASC with these facts.

Also, do check the injector actuators as well.

Regards,

Pawan
Thank you Pawan. After a lot of hassle, now they conceded injector problem was caused by them and then they have cleaned it and now claim miraculously it is working!

But now they are saying that there is a problem with the head gasket. This was pointed out about 2 months back when my engine over heated but then they then summarized it was just because of a coolant leak.
Now they are again bringing up this problem. The cost of repairing it could be approx 50k and replacing it could be around 90K.

My reasons for doubting this entire fiasco is that last evening got a call from the showroom talking about the latest models of duster and the Captor. When i asked them why they are telling me all this, they said I can considering upgrading my car. I got furious and told them I have no such plans.

My question: Are the ASC guys deliberately bringing up one issue or the issue culminating into a major expense and then positioning a car upgrade?
Old 12th February 2018, 11:35   #5752
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephnishanth View Post

My question: Are the ASC guys deliberately bringing up one issue or the issue culminating into a major expense and then positioning a car upgrade?
Better take car to fng for service if you feel this way. Since the car wasn't working at your place itself we could give a benefit of doubt for the asc. I would have first checked with my fng and if it was unsolvable by them then refered to asc. I generally have seen Renault asc less competent than my fng to trouble shoot, only want to increase service bills
mh09ad5578 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2018, 11:40   #5753

Planning to get a Duster , as opposed to Eco Sport and Nexon because of space , got two questions though

1. While changing gears , there is a certain jerk in the stick that i noticed on the test drive manual for both Duster and Captur . Is this normal ? Have been driving an i10 and never felt this earlier.

2. The Dacia 2017 facelift duster looks a bit more rugged than the lower looking duster . Any idea if it will be launched in India soon ? Showroom says there aren't aware of immanent launch and that engine is going to be the same so why not stick to current Indian duster . Any news on that front ?
Old 16th February 2018, 17:58   #5754
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartron View Post
Planning to get a Duster , as opposed to Eco Sport and Nexon because of space , got two questions though

1. While changing gears , there is a certain jerk in the stick that i noticed on the test drive manual for both Duster and Captur . Is this normal ? Have been driving an i10 and never felt this earlier.

2. The Dacia 2017 facelift duster looks a bit more rugged than the lower looking duster . Any idea if it will be launched in India soon ? Showroom says there aren't aware of immanent launch and that engine is going to be the same so why not stick to current Indian duster . Any news on that front ?
The duster was a great product when it was launched in 2012. 110PS is great in its updated form (Post 2014 with the CMO1 architecture). Firmer suspension. Updated looks. replies to your questions are below:

1. The jerk is like a slotting action, it is there.

2. Don't buy a duster now (says the guy who has two in the house).

Reasons:

- Localization is not high so part costs are higher. Don't expect Ecosport / Nexon parts / maintenance costs. (Headlights 13k per piece, front bumper 13k without paint, rear right door 21k without paint, clutch kit 25-60k, front suspension strut 6.5k, rear suspension strut 5k, tyres 9k a piece, injector 21k per piece, brake disks 6k per set, brake pads, 3.4k per set they last 30k km, fuel filter 3k, timing belt kit 13k, accessory belt kit 6.5k, wheel bearing 6.5k per piece)

- End of life products pinch more when parts availability goes down for a vehicle you just got 3 years ago.

- Its a dated product with the only USP being the excellent suspension (comfort and stability compromise wise). I have had niggles like a steering going out of alignment just by changing the brand of tyres... Problems which the ASC blames on aftermarket fitment and you don't have the patience of dealing with by sending the vehicle to the service center again and again.

Your call now.
Tgo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2018, 00:34   #5755
BHPian

I searched this thread, couldnt find a similar issue. So posting this note for some advise.
My dear friend's 85PS duster (2014 model) having clocked 85K has a peculiar issue noted since last 45 days. Need some inputs. Before setting on a long drive (usual trip home- 620 KMS) the radiator reservoir was found empty. Couldn't note any leakage. Filled it up after getting some ready mix coolant from the near by shop. Kept checking the radiator every 100 kms, and found no issues. About 4 weeks later, again found the coolant tank to be empty. Took the vehicle to the dealership, and the dealer checked, rode about 30 kms and found nothing! He just remarked, may be the hoses need to be changed as they are 4 years old.
I checked the car and found no trace of leakage, keeping the engine at the operating temperature. The fan runs usual and no drip noted! Oil level is perfectly right and the radiator cap sits nice and snug tight on the reservoir.

Btw, is there a radiator piping that comes off the fire wall of the car? I saw the mechanic adjusting a circlip clamp over there remarking it as loose. Worried if there is any deeper issue than this! Any help and advise on this issue is welcome.
Old 17th February 2018, 07:17   #5756
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopa99 View Post
I searched this thread, couldnt find a similar issue. So posting this note for some advise.

I checked the car and found no trace of leakage, keeping the engine at the operating temperature. The fan runs usual and no drip noted! Oil level is perfectly right and the radiator cap sits nice and snug tight on the reservoir.

Btw, is there a radiator piping that comes off the fire wall of the car? I saw the mechanic adjusting a circlip clamp over there remarking it as loose. Worried if there is any deeper issue than this! Any help and advise on this issue is welcome.
Has he not seen any Engine over heating symptoms while driving? Ask your friend to contact Ravi Teja at Indiranagar service station, he has taken nice care of my BIL's Duster.

Last edited by deehunk : 17th February 2018 at 07:19.
Old 17th February 2018, 07:39   #5757
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
Has he not seen any Engine over heating symptoms while driving? Ask your friend to contact Ravi Teja at Indiranagar service station, he has taken nice care of my BIL's Duster.
Sure, will ask him to get it checked at indranagar. Yes, I have told him about this lurking danger and what signs on the dashboard he needs to be wary of. Infact on a weekend long drive to Velankani, he was opening the hood of the duster far too often!
Old 17th February 2018, 18:55   #5758
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The fan runs usual and no drip noted! Oil level is perfectly right and the radiator cap sits nice and snug tight on the reservoir.
I had the same issue in my now sold 110PS Lodgy. It was one of many problems I faced. The coolant used to disappear after a couple of days but there was no sign of leakage. At the workshop it was found that the coolant was leaking from the coolant line inside the engine block and all the coolant mixed with the engine oil. Surprisingly, I didn't face overheating issues but just happened to discover the empty coolant tank. They changed some coolant valve, flushed the engine with some chemical, refilled fresh engine oil and that problem was sorted.

So yeah, if you don't find leakage anywhere, chances are, it is leaking inside the engine block.
swiftdiesel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2018, 19:11   #5759
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
I had the same issue in my now sold 110PS Lodgy. It was one of many problems I faced. The coolant used to disappear after a couple of days but there was no sign of leakage. At the workshop it was found that the coolant was leaking from the coolant line inside the engine block and all the coolant mixed with the engine oil. Surprisingly, I didn't face overheating issues but just happened to discover the empty coolant tank. They changed some coolant valve, flushed the engine with some chemical, refilled fresh engine oil and that problem was sorted.

So yeah, if you don't find leakage anywhere, chances are, it is leaking inside the engine block.
Thanks for this information. This situation is my nemesis. But didnt you find the engine oil level rising? How many KMs did you drive after this repair?
IMO and my gut feeling is its very unlikely that this condition gets sorted by changing the coolant valve (i guess the thermostat valve) and chemical flushing.
gopa99 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2018, 22:33   #5760
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for this information. This situation is my nemesis. But didnt you find the engine oil level rising? How many KMs did you drive after this repair?
IMO and my gut feeling is its very unlikely that this condition gets sorted by changing the coolant valve (i guess the thermostat valve) and chemical flushing.
You are welcome. I didn't check the engine oil level because I didn't know this was the problem then, until it was discovered. After that repair I'd have done about 15000 kms but no issues in this regard until I sold the car.

The term 'coolant valve' I've used may be wrong as I don't remember the exact part name. I remember the problem but not the part name. I'll try and find the old invoice if possible to find the name of that part.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks