Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2012, 10:38   #541
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurni76 View Post
I guess the one thing lacking in the 85Ps one is the 6th gear. The other day I was travelling in a Corolla Altis diesel and I was surprised how good the vehicle performed on the highways.
That would be one less differentiator from the 110. It's easy to understand why Renault didn't give the 6 speed box on the 85.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingkolors View Post
I had one question, what does the first two images on the passenger side vanity mirror indicate?
First one warns you about the higher center of gravity and possibility of roll-over. In the USA, most SUVs have this sticker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bliss_now View Post
Thank you very much GTO. Just booked 85PS (with option pack) - after comparing my TD notes with your 85PS review.
Your review is a very valuable second opinion. Thanks again.
You are welcome. Please share your notes on the 85 as well, so that it helps others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
Not to change the topic! - But, what would be the reasons for buying Duster over Sunny Diesel given that Sunny is easier to drive in the city, with almost turbo lag?
The Sunny's variant with airbags and ABS is also 2 lakhs cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetorange View Post
I believe children are much too valuable to be left sitting in the last row with no seat belts and with a bumpy ride and also susceptible to a rear end shunt. They always belong in the middle row.
WELL SAID!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVEN-TWEEL View Post
I am facing a small problem with my duster. Its nothing serious. I do have a habbit of driving inside the city with right hand on the center part of the steering with my fingers going around the back of the steering.
Please change your style and hold the steering properly.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th August 2012, 12:10   #542
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy View Post
But there is a catch.Nobody has confirmed whether DUSTER with jump streets is street legal. I think RC mentions it as 5 seater, so loading more than 5 is illegal.
Sir, this is India - everything is street legal. Police don't stop and check how many seats you are allowed to have and how many you have actually fitted. Dealers usually, charge a good deal for registration - surely they can persuade the RTO to register the vehicle despite modifications, or simply, modification can be done after registration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
First one warns you about the higher center of gravity and possibility of roll-over. In the USA, most SUVs have this sticker.
That and, don't drive your vehicle on two wheels

Actually, saw an XUV stuck today on the ring road in delhi- the driver was trying to beat traffic with two wheels up on the divider and got stuck there. The divider was one of those which has plants on it so there was a lot of soil piled on top of it.
mayjay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2012, 12:23   #543
BHPian

Hey GTO, no word on the Power Steering issue that you faced? Was the vehicle then unmovable? What happens if such a situation occurs?

To me , the occurrence of this issue seems unpardonable. especially so, when you look at the number of Dusters they would have manufactured till now..(probably less than a 1000 ! )

Looks to me, that Renault has inherited a bad list of suppliers form their JV with Mahindra.
I remember one of the Scorpio drivers cribbing about his PS failing and him being stranded !
Old 9th August 2012, 13:49   #544
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayjay View Post
Actually, saw an XUV stuck today on the ring road in delhi- the driver was trying to beat traffic with two wheels up on the divider and got stuck there. The divider was one of those which has plants on it so there was a lot of soil piled on top of it.
Though a bit off topic but most people tend to think buying a SUV gives them a License to offroad in the City literally

Not only the insensitive driver killed precious plants , damaged his car , created a traffic Snarl just to save a few minutes of time.

Hope such offroading is limited to genuine offroading only

Cheers
Old 9th August 2012, 14:15   #545
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayjay View Post
Sir, this is India - everything is street legal. Police don't stop and check how many seats you are allowed to have and how many you have actually fitted. Dealers usually, charge a good deal for registration - surely they can persuade the RTO to register the vehicle despite modifications, or simply, modification can be done after registration.
@mayjay, what do you wish to say ... just because the implementation of laws is lax, this doesn't mean that we can be irresponsible citizens.

Further, have you ever tried travelling haggled with RTO Officers at the borders of the state, I bet you could get away in city at times with people in jump seats in 5-seater Duster, but, not there. And god forbid, if you are caught somewhere else, you will be travelling back by the STU buses rather than your Duster, unless you bribe the cops ().

I hope this isn't what you meant.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2012, 14:22   #546
BHPian

This 85(0) ps duster should do hill climbs even better!

Dacia Duster Pikes Peak racer revealed - BBC Top Gear
Old 9th August 2012, 14:23   #547
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
@mayjay, what do you wish to say ... just because the implementation of laws is lax, this doesn't mean that we can be irresponsible citizens.

Further, have you ever tried travelling haggled with RTO Officers at the borders of the state, I bet you could get away in city at times with people in jump seats in 5-seater Duster, but, not there. And god forbid, if you are caught somewhere else, you will be travelling back by the STU buses rather than your Duster, unless you bribe the cops ().

I hope this isn't what you meant.
I think even insurance is hampered if you travel with excess passengers and get into a mishap. More that that is the issue of safety and comfort.
Old 9th August 2012, 14:28   #548
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Yes you are correct, insurance would be for 5 seats (/ passengers) & not 7 or 5+X passengers in any case. So, in case the car meets an accident, compensation will be restricted to 5 passengers only.

In any case there would be more sorrows of having the 2 jump seats, than the joys.
Old 9th August 2012, 14:37   #549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by werfish View Post
I have received the Chassis and the engine number from the dealer.Got the insurance done independently
From which showroom you did that?
Here in Bangalore, Whitefield renault, they are no agreeing it and I have raised it with Renault
Old 9th August 2012, 15:17   #550

The official website of Renault India clearly shows that there are NO service centres in Bangalore. Now is that a stupid mistake or a fact ? If a fact then my whole idea of buying a Duster gets dusted away. Anyone here can advise ?
Old 9th August 2012, 15:20   #551
BHPian

@arunrajk81
I got my cover note from HDFC Ergo for bumper to bumper coverage at around Rs.3000/- lesser than what company asked me for just comprehensive insurance for my yet to be delivered DUSTER. Hope this helps.
Company cannot deny you the right to avail insurance elsewhere. Tell them your employers are having corporate tie-up with a bank for giving salary account and discounted insurance for automobiles is part of the package. This is my story and works like a charm every time.
Old 9th August 2012, 15:30   #552
BHPian

I have already booked the Duster but this piece of news (as opposed to just a rumor) is doing crazy things to my mind. The guys at motorbeam.com claim to have confirmed news of a Nissan-badged Duster straight from the mouths of Nissan`s top management.

Nissan Plans Rebadged Duster By 2013 | MotorBeam - Indian Car Bike News & Reviews

I have a feeling the Nissan badged Duster would have safety as standard.

Harsh times at Decision-Making High!
Old 9th August 2012, 15:43   #553
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunrajk81 View Post
From which showroom you did that?
Here in Bangalore, Whitefield renault, they are no agreeing it and I have raised it with Renault
I got mine from Renault Whitefield.
Old 9th August 2012, 15:51   #554
Senior - BHPian

This is no SUV but a crossover vehicle like Nissan Murano. Not a derious SUV contender nor an offroader at all. Crossover is actually a more stylish Estate or in Indian terms Station Wagon.

I dont see much happening to the Duster in India, wont set roads ablaze or hearts on fire.

Renault is not exactly great technology or reliable.

Have you seen three year old Logans - falling off from every angle. Looking old, frailed. Same will happen to this.
Old 9th August 2012, 16:29   #555
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
Renault is not exactly great technology or reliable.

Have you seen three year old Logans - falling off from every angle. Looking old, frailed. Same will happen to this.
Have you seen 3 weeks old Safari's, Scorpios and Boleros (no offence to the owners, I too am one) falling off from various angles and cluttered with manufacturing defects? We still love them after we customize them according to our kind of usage.
As for the Logans, I did put my money on Duster only after seeing the Logans. Most of them in my city look as brand new with excellent engine condition.
I personally asked the drivers and they were all

Regarding the waiting period as few members have mentioned, as per my experience, allocation of the car is totally with the Dealer. The car might come with a persons name printed but its the dealer who has the final say about who gets the car first. Corporate houses, people with good contacts do get the first preference. If you see your model and colour in the godown, convince the representative to give it to you. They have done it to me, I am sure they will do the same to you all.
himadrimondal is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks