Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2015, 14:28   #4906
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by couswheels View Post
what was the rpm range you maintained for FE of 20.4? Guess there wasn't much of traffic on your onward journey.

I too own a 110 PS and my highest till date was 18.5km.
Well the roads are a dream to ride on from BLR to CHN (Almost the entire stretch) and had normal highway traffic that can be expected. I tried to keep the RPM close to 2k throughout the onward journey and was doing Speeds upto 95 - 98 but NEVER Crossed the triple digit mark.
Old 25th May 2015, 20:07   #4907
BHPian

A friend is getting a Duster and it comes with either MRF Wanderer AT or Apollo Apterra AT. He wants to pick the best of the two. Road noise, grip and overall life being the considerations.

Experts please advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjosephjacob View Post
My friends duster is due for a Tyre change. His car currently runs on the stock Apollo Hawkz tires and has covered around 45,000 km.
Which tires did your friend pick? If MRF, how does it compare with the Apollos?

Last edited by joethomasv : 25th May 2015 at 20:13.
Old 26th May 2015, 12:32   #4908
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethomasv View Post
A friend is getting a Duster and it comes with either MRF Wanderer AT or Apollo Apterra AT. He wants to pick the best of the two. Road noise, grip and overall life being the considerations.
Neither of them comes in the recommended category of tyres, but I believe are adequate as OEM. My other cars -- Civic and City are on Primacy and Turanza, so obviously these OEMs are no comparison, I know.

When I picked my vehicle, I pushed for MRF Wanderers because (a) I haven't heard good things about Apollo, (b) Many experts say that MRF is vastly improved now and (c) GTO's original review suggested/ wondered a larger role that Wanderer is probably playing in the ride quality of Duster. 10k km down the road, I am not too sure if I rate the MRFs good. The grip and control I get on the road when turning (even at 70) does not induce much confidence. Not sure, though, if this is an issue* with Duster itself.

*will post that separately.
determinus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2015, 13:24   #4909
BHPian

My Duster 85PS is now close to 2 and half years old and have done 45000 kms. The tyres MRF wanderer looks good for atleast for another 5 to 10K. But it started giving a roaring noise on speed above 30-40 kms per hour. Initially I suspected that it is wheel bearing noise and complained. They checked and told me that wheel bearings are ok. I was not sure and insisted to know the checking method. They said that they would raise the car in the lift and rotate the wheel manually and check for vibrations in the axle to know whether wheel bearing is ok. Not scientifically convincing to me. Other method suggested to me was that they will fit the wheels of some other car with good tyre condition and I can drive myself and see whether the any noise is coming. Due to lack of time, I decided to come back on a leisure day to do that. Any suggestion as to how to check the wheel bearing condition in a more scientific way?
Old 26th May 2015, 19:28   #4910
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselLover View Post
I should have been more careful reviewing the estimates given. I was in a hurry and approved the estimate without taking closer look. Regarding WB/WA, the second point is very valid. Gives us a strong case if something goes wrong.
Got the WB/WA and a body wash done from Renault today free of charge using Gang of duster's coupons.

Spoke too early on rattles. The sound from hatch door while going through bad roads is back within a week of service. It's fixed again yesterday. Not sure how long it's going to last
Old 28th May 2015, 10:54   #4911
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselLover View Post
Got the WB/WA and a body wash done from Renault today free of charge using Gang of duster's coupons.
How can we subscribe for Gang of Dusters? Can you please tell me more about this?
Thanks in advance

Last edited by ampere : 28th May 2015 at 11:00. Reason: Formatted Post
Old 28th May 2015, 21:59   #4912
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani21 View Post
How can we subscribe for Gang of Dusters? Can you please tell me more about this?
Thanks in advance
If I remember right, I got a mail (after few days of purchasing the vehicle) with a link to register/subscribe for gang of dusters. A booklet containing free coupons/discount vouchers were couriered to me after this online registration.
DieselLover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2015, 11:02   #4913
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srameshdelhi View Post
My Duster 85PS is now close to 2 and half years old and have done 45000 kms. The tyres MRF wanderer looks good for atleast for another 5 to 10K. But it started giving a roaring noise on speed above 30-40 kms per hour. Initially I suspected that it is wheel bearing noise and complained. They checked and told me that wheel bearings are ok. I was not sure and insisted to know the checking method. They said that they would raise the car in the lift and rotate the wheel manually and check for vibrations in the axle to know whether wheel bearing is ok. Not scientifically convincing to me. Other method suggested to me was that they will fit the wheels of some other car with good tyre condition and I can drive myself and see whether the any noise is coming. Due to lack of time, I decided to come back on a leisure day to do that. Any suggestion as to how to check the wheel bearing condition in a more scientific way?
Unfortunately, this is a known problem with dusters. I have been re-iterating it here a number of times trying to find people with similar problems of a humming/roaring noise as speed picks up. My dad noticed it in his car when it had done 25k and we got two new tyres from Renault as a goodwill gesture because the tyres were wearing out unevenly and they had not done or even recommended wheel alignment in any of the 3 services we had got done. Just check the wear pattern of your car. The wheels wearing out more on the inside are a sure shot cause for that noise you are experiencing.

I believe 45 K is a good mileage you could get from the wanderers. Its time for a change anyhow. New tyres will eliminate this sound as was the case with our vehicle when the tyres were changed at 32K. But now the vehicle makes the same noise again since it has clocked 63K (Its a November 2012 model).

What is important is that you check the wear pattern. Insides on a duster wear faster than the outsides. Problem is exaggerated if the wheels are not rotated (Front to Back). And regular wheel rotation and alignment along with balancing would enable you to eek out a 40-45 K tyre life.
Old 29th May 2015, 11:17   #4914
Senior - BHPian

All you folks enjoying your new 2015 Duster RxZ, can you kindly help me here please? This is with regard to the MID in the instrument cluster. How do I change the brightness on it? I tried long pressing the button on the wiper stalk and all it does is reset the trip meter. Also, how can I make all the information appear at the same time? I need help because the user manual doesn't talk about it. Thanks in advance!
Old 29th May 2015, 14:27   #4915
BHPian

I got an email from Renault that an Map update is available.
When I connected the USB drive to my PC, Media-Nav toolbox notified me of an system update also. Looks like an OS update of size 154 Mb.

Renault Duster : Official Review-02.png

Once this is done, I'll check for the Map update and share details
sumeshmani is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2015, 16:47   #4916
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Booking of a brand new Amazon Green Duster 110 RxZ AWD has been done by me. The vehicle will will be delivered in another 15 days.

This along with my father's 110 Rxz(O) brings the count of Dusters to 2, in the same garage.

Totally excited !!
Tgo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2015, 17:18   #4917
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeshmani View Post
Once this is done, I'll check for the Map update and share details
I have completed the OS and Map upgrades.

If you need the Media-Nav manual, use the following link
https://renault.naviextras.com/shop/guidePdf?guide=Toolbox

The software update was from 4.0.3 to 4.0.5
Renault Duster : Official Review-01.jpg

Once the update was completed, I had to once again collect the updated device info onto the USB.
Renault Duster : Official Review-02.jpg

With the new device info, I went back to media-nav toolbox. Found 2014 Q2 update for India map - 557 Mb. I think the old one was 2013 Q4
I took over an hour to download the map onto the USB drive. ~30 minutes to install onto media-nav unit

Renault Duster : Official Review-03.png

Map updated:
Renault Duster : Official Review-04.jpg

Renault Duster : Official Review-05.jpg
sumeshmani is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th May 2015, 18:09   #4918
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeshmani View Post
I got an email from Renault that an Map update is available.
When I connected the USB drive to my PC, Media-Nav toolbox notified me of an system update also. Looks like an OS update of size 154 Mb...
I've been running on 4.05 for couple of months now. I haven't noticed anything new or any improvements. People say the major update (or drawback) that 4.05 brings in over 4.03 is that the new firmware will not let you install 'Menavrus', the custom firmware that can enable Video playback and Reverse camera support in your Medianav.

Need to see what improvement does Map update bring in. I think mine is 2012 Q4.
Old 2nd June 2015, 13:35   #4919
BHPian

I am out in market to renew my Duster insurance that lapses in July. Facing yet another monopoly driven culture by Trident in Bangalore. The quote given by trident is about 14k for bumper to bumper inclusive of 25% NCB. Prices in the market range between 8k to 12k. Even for the same vendor and IDV (Bharti AXA) the quote is 11k on policybazaar.

Despite of this, I have to buy from Trident because Trident openly says that they do not honor any other insurance for cashless transaction. pathetic attitude from Trident and I hope Renault is listening. Killing competition unethically does no good to your reputation - Trident & Renault!!
Old 5th June 2015, 18:31   #4920
Senior - BHPian

Lodgy 2nd Row Vents for Duster?

One of my greatest bugbears about the Duster is the lack of a convenient 2nd row ac. (the B**l-cooler ac, in my friend's colourful & apt description, that comes standard is very kludgy and not acceptable)

With the Lodgy, based on the Duster, out & sporting not one, but two, sets of rear vents, naturally I am wondering if it would be possible to install those in the Duster & solve the problem.

The advantages I see are that it will be clean with no fitment issues & compatibility issues.

Cons: will probably void warranty.

Guess one would need to replace the roof liner, install the ducting in the roof, probably upgrade the compressor and do some jiggery-pokery with the electricals to fit in another blower.

The questions to experts are: can it be done? Is it worth doing it? Will it be clean? Know anybody who can do it?

Info: I have a 2014 85bhp RXL Duster.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks