Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2014, 20:32   #4591
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

2k up on the ODO and got a chance today to do some highway driving. Did a short trip to Athirappilly/Vazhachal falls and back. I took the road through Angamaly-Ezhattumugham which is in pathetic state for few kilometres inside the palm oil plantation.

Duster shines when the road is bad. Amazing ride quality and ability to tackle bad roads. I was able to maintain a decent speed where hatches/sedans were literally crawling. The 85 ps is easy to drive in the winding mountain roads. Easier than my Swift D and requires minimum gear shifts. Able to handle most of the curves/gradients in 2nd/3rd gear where Swift would require a down shift to 1st/2nd due to turbo lag.

However, on the open 4 lane roads, it definitely feels underpowered when you try to push it beyond 90-100kmph mark.
Old 14th December 2014, 20:50   #4592
BHPian

I am planning to buy a Duster (not AWD) in April-May of 2015. However the current model has been the same almost since its launch, there were no major facelifts. Not even a new color!!

I am hoping Renault will launch new colors like Milky White, Orange or dual colors. Is it worth buying the aged Duster in 2015? Is there any news of fresh Duster design or color going to be launched before April-May next year?

Also among the existing colors, I am not able to choose the best suited Duster color among White and Silver.

White doesn’t look premium and silver looks plain-Jane. Old silver Dusters lost shine and looked very dull. No other colors impressed me. Black is the best but maintenance is too much to keep it shining.

Appreciate your feedback on this.
Old 15th December 2014, 14:21   #4593
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummer View Post
I am planning to buy a Duster (not AWD) in April-May of 2015. Black is the best but maintenance is too much to keep it shining.

With all Blacks in my Garage i can vouch for that. If you are OK to spend an hour a week towards personal attention in the washing process, i would say Go for It.
Duster is the 3rd vehicle in Black and all my earlier vehicles while being sold fetched good money due to the sheer condition of the Paint,Body and overall condition.

Do refer my post on Page 304 and some interior pics on Page 306 and see if it helps in the decision making process .

1 Sample pic of my Ride for you
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster : Official Review-img_20141215_021635.jpg  

soumobakshi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th December 2014, 21:07   #4594
BHPian

Thanks soumobakshi.

Your black Duster is glittering, reflecting the care you have been taking. No doubt it is the best color, unfortunately my experience with black in India has not been so shining.

I had a black Hyundai Accent, it lost its shine after few years due to careless washing and wiping by our car washing guys. Maintaining Black cars especially in India is a tough task unless attended by owners themselves. I think this has been discussed in detail in different threads.

Seat covers look cool, great color combination with a matching design pattern. It’s a nice sight inside out. Good luck maintaining this lovely vehicle.
hummer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2014, 10:16   #4595
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummer View Post
Colour is totally personal choice. No one can tell you what suites better.

Waiting for the 2015 lineup is worth it. There are many subtle upgrades, there might be more color choices as well.

Until competition catches up Duster will keep a steady sales pace.
Old 17th December 2014, 15:43   #4596
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
Waiting for the 2015 lineup is worth it. There are many subtle upgrades, there might be more color choices as well.
Is there any news on when in 2015 this is likely to happen? Has Renault issued any outlook on this?
Old 17th December 2014, 17:13   #4597
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptushar View Post
Is there any news on when in 2015 this is likely to happen? Has Renault issued any outlook on this?
Early next year as per motorbeam

Jan 2015 as per carwale
Old 17th December 2014, 17:28   #4598

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinghP09 View Post
It's certainly the VFM one just because it is the least expensive trim to have ABS and Airbags at 9.99L ex-showroom(Faridabad).

I have a couple of questions which I am still not clear about after going through a lot of threads.
  1. I want the alloy wheels for my Duster but I am not at all sure about which brand to go for with a budget of about 25-30k.
  2. I got Apollo's with it, are they good enough or should I get them replaced?

Thanks
Not sure about Faridabad. In Delhi, you can visit Sai Mag Wheels. That's where I got my alloys from (see pic ) after reading about them on team bhp.

You can check the following links for reference.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/delhi-...rial-area.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ag-wheels.html

Have driven about 4,000 Kms now and haven't had any issue with the stock apollo tyres.
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster : Official Review-20141005-17.02.08.jpeg  

anexas06 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th December 2014, 14:34   #4599
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I have clocked 58k Kms on my black Rxl 110.
Its serviced timely at Renault,Gurgaon. Have already changed the brake pads thrice,brakes pads do get worn out pretty soon.

The car has been performing well so far. I am the only one who drives it,so its v well maintained & its scratch less, Haven't had any trouble except for the clutch being heavy.

The Clutch - Its extremely hard, i don't know how many of you are facing this problem, but its a pain to drive the car now,especially in traffic. I've been told 110 bhp variants have a heavier clutch, going to get this thoroughly checked in the next upcoming service.Wanted to know, if anyone else is facing the same problem and whats the solution? Will replacing the clutch help? Would Renault do it under warranty?

Another issue that crops up once in a while is with the brakes,at high speeds on bumpy roads,if i need to stop suddenly, the brakes dont kick in immediately.There is a lag of few secs, but its scary as it happens at high speeds only.

Do let me know, if any of you have faced similar issues.

Posting a pic of the interior!

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster : Official Review-img_0378.jpg  

dhirajs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2014, 14:51   #4600
BHPian

Is there something happening on the front of "Gang of Dusters". I received the kit and a few calls from them. No information ever came after that.
Old 18th December 2014, 16:08   #4601
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhirajs View Post

The Clutch - Its extremely hard, i don't know how many of you are facing this problem, but its a pain to drive the car now,especially in traffic. I've been told 110 bhp variants have a heavier clutch, going to get this thoroughly checked in the next upcoming service.Wanted to know, if anyone else is facing the same problem and whats the solution? Will replacing the clutch help? Would Renault do it under warranty?
Renault is replacing the clutch in 110 PS Dusters on complaints. I recently got third service done and the clutch was replaced "in warranty", i.e. free of cost. Now it is considerably lighter.
penpusher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2014, 06:46   #4602
BHPian

The door-open light on the dashboard of my new 85(O) does not come on when the door is open and or unlocked. Is that supposed to be the norm?
Also, is Renault really selling dusters in 2014 with nav maps dated 2012!!!?
#GenNext service centre guy is saying that's the version that comes with the vehicle. On the nav support website, there is a 2014.Q2 update available, for 7.5k.
Old 19th December 2014, 09:20   #4603
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhirajs View Post
Hi Guys,

Another issue that crops up once in a while is with the brakes,at high speeds on bumpy roads,if i need to stop suddenly, the brakes dont kick in immediately.There is a lag of few secs, but its scary as it happens at high speeds only.

Do let me know, if any of you have faced similar issues.

Posting a pic of the interior!

Cheers
Hi dhirajs! I agree with you on the brakes. At high speeds and on bumpy roads the brakes do not seem to kick in immediately. They are not very responsive. I need to get it checked out during the the first service. I felt the brakes are inadequate for a Duster. I had a 2004 Toyota Qualis and the brakes on it were excellent. Just a feather touch and it would come to a halt.
The duster brakes, I felt were on par with the Tata Safari.

Nice choice of color for the interiors
Falcon_blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2014, 09:28   #4604
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanmd View Post
The door-open light on the dashboard of my new 85(O) does not come on when the door is open and or unlocked. Is that supposed to be the norm?
Please have it checked, could be a faulty connection. The door open light comes on when door is open. Lock or unlock has no impact.
HillMan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2014, 10:35   #4605
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anexas06 View Post
Not sure about Faridabad. In Delhi, you can visit Sai Mag Wheels.
=========
Have driven about 4,000 Kms now and haven't had any issue with the stock apollo tyres.
Hi anexas06! Nice alloys there. Goes really well with the white Duster.
Here is my 'White Horse' with alloys running on stock MRF Wanderers.
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster : Official Review-img_2102.jpg  

Renault Duster : Official Review-img_2103.jpg  

Falcon_blr is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed