Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2014, 16:02   #4306

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Hi all!

My 85 PS RXL Nav is now 20 days old and I will like to thank all of you in helping me make this decision. I was regularly following this thread and all the inputs have been very helpful.

A detailed ownership report is coming shortly, just waiting for my beast to cover 1000 kms.

Today, after my Dad dropped me at my office and went ahead I noticed for the first time some white smoke coming out from exhaust as he pulled ahead. Then the smoke vanished. Is it normal? This is my first diesel car after been a petrol head all these years and hence any input will help a lot.

Cheers!
Old 18th August 2014, 17:58   #4307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacko_man View Post
Today, after my Dad dropped me at my office and went ahead I noticed for the first time some white smoke coming out from exhaust as he pulled ahead. Then the smoke vanished. Is it normal? This is my first diesel car after been a petrol head all these years and hence any input will help a lot.

Cheers!
This is common as per the Drivers Handbook. The regeneration of particle filter will cause white smoke. But it doesn't say the duration or frequency of this cycle.
HillMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2014, 18:09   #4308
BHPian

While detailing my Duster RxZ, noticed just above the rear door beading, the paint work is
showing a crack. First I thought it was rust setting. Then I examined closely, it is a slight
bulge and crack horizontally for an inch or more. Is this something that can be fixed? Should
I check with Renault if they will fix it or what? Anyone had similar experience? Strangely, this
this is only one side of rear not both. For all this my Duster is parked in a covered lot and
rarely parked for long in sun.

Cheers
Old 19th August 2014, 18:43   #4309
Senior - BHPian

If anyone is interested, see link for Duster excursion:

http://www.meraevents.com/event/offroadexcursions-nov
Old 19th August 2014, 20:14   #4310
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post

And please register on 30th Nov. There is no 31st Nov as mentioned by the dealer
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2014, 22:41   #4311
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post

Good to see the Chennai Duster cheer-leading squad still flogging the 2WD Duster on *off-road* expeditions. Hopefully, I can join once they launch the 4x4 version. Nothing can come close to the adrelanine rush of driving a FWD (read Front not Four) duster with MRF Wanderer HT Tyres on an *off-road* expedition.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 19th August 2014 at 22:44.
Old 20th August 2014, 00:18   #4312
Senior - BHPian

So with the 4x4 Duster with some tweaks over the existing models (as per ACI etc) due for release this festive season, what does that mean for the facelifted Duster that was being talked about?

As per the ACI review, the following improvements are seen in the awd duster (not including the independent rear suspension, traction control, smoked alloys + headlamps and decals which would be exclusive to the awd I guess):
- lighter clutch
- improved dashboard plastic quality with a new grey/black dual tone
- better low end grunt in the 110
- new steering with steering mounted controls
- new instrument cluster
- cruise control

Renault should ideally roll out these changes for all models, but then what of the new dashboard design and other updates in the proposed facelift? Confused!

Last edited by razor4077 : 20th August 2014 at 00:24.
Old 20th August 2014, 16:29   #4313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
Renault should ideally roll out these changes for all models, but then what of the new dashboard design and other updates in the proposed facelift? Confused!
Duster came to India a good two and a half years after it was launched internationally. Accordingly, I think the the Face-lifted version should take its own sweet time to come here.

Also, apart from an ordinary cosmetic job, the most important differentiator of the face-lifted duster is the noticeable improvement in NVH. Terrano, the same car, already has these improvements and is advertised as a premium/refined product. May be the Renault-Nissan alliance wouldn't want to take away that novelty in Terrano by introducing the Duster face-lift soon.

Now, with the launch of 4*4 in the same old skin, I don't anticipate a face-lift for another one year.

It's nice that they're keeping the products fresh by rolling out updates phase by phase. They started off with a mouthwatering price tag, introduced a new color, launched Anniversary edition, Adventure edition and now the 4*4.
Old 21st August 2014, 20:05   #4314

I am finding the clutch of 85PS (o) really hard for city driving. It's a real pain while driving in Mumbai's bumper to bumper traffic. Is it possible to soften it?
Old 22nd August 2014, 19:56   #4315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAFIQUE View Post
I am finding the clutch of 85PS (o) really hard for city driving. It's a real pain while driving in Mumbai's bumper to bumper traffic. Is it possible to soften it?
See if you can compare with any other 85ps Dusters. I find it harder than my Chevy Spark, but not bad enough to pain my legs. I drive 1.5hrs to office, a stretch of around 25kms.

Also adjust your seating. I dont stretch my legs like sitting in Sedan and my heals stay on the floor most of the time. For long drives there is a little hump on the floor just behind the clutch pedal. I find it Ok to rest my foot.

It is not necessary to keep changing gears too frequently. Staying in 2nd and 3rd gear in high traffic is alright. These two gears have a good range for slow moving traffic. I stay on 3rd most of the time.

This is what I found; Duster does not like 1000rpm while driving. Stay above 1500rpm in which ever gear you are on. Change gears at 1500 and 2200rpm.
Old 22nd August 2014, 20:36   #4316
BHPian

Finally got my gang of dusters membership kit.
There is a coupon for free engine lacquering? Should I go ahead with that.

Advice needed ,please help me out here.
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster : Official Review-20140822_165412.jpg  

Old 22nd August 2014, 21:27   #4317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepeshh View Post
I too recently installed , but since this is a clip on model its rattling heavily. Need to add extra padding. It cost me Rs.5800/- and the dealer promises 1 year replacement warranty.
hi deepeshh, one query w.r.t the IRVM screen installed by you. I believe this is not a Mirror but its an LCD screen that only reflects the rear view. Have you faced any difficulty in visibility especially during night?

I had planned to instal them on my car in India and noticed that this is similar to our smart phone screens or GSP screens.
Whenever its in standby mode, meaning whenever reverse gear not engaged and camera not functioning, this screen stays dark gray and only reflects the backside actions (what is the exact word for this term - rear view actions !!!) on the LCD. Was not sure of the visibility and hence went ahead with a 2din music system with rev. camera setup.

Last edited by arunu : 22nd August 2014 at 21:48.
Old 22nd August 2014, 22:24   #4318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilntny View Post
Advice needed ,please help me out here.
Guess its Ok. The company itself is giving it out for the Gang. Not sure of the long term effects. I did it at 1st and 2nd services and there has been no yellowing or peeling layers.
HillMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2014, 16:36   #4319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunu View Post
hi deepeshh, one query w.r.t the IRVM screen installed by you. I believe this is not a Mirror but its an LCD screen that only reflects the rear view. Have you faced any difficulty in visibility especially during night?

I had planned to instal them on my car in India and noticed that this is similar to our smart phone screens or GSP screens.
Whenever its in standby mode, meaning whenever reverse gear not engaged and camera not functioning, this screen stays dark gray and only reflects the backside actions (what is the exact word for this term - rear view actions !!!) on the LCD. Was not sure of the visibility and hence went ahead with a 2din music system with rev. camera setup.
I have not faced any visibility issue as such, but the rear view is definitely not as bright as you see in the normal mirror. You are right, its not a mirror but the LCD screen reflecting the rear view. I found the reflection to be a bit dark, but helps at night without causing discomfort from the glare of vehicles headlight behind you.

I had the music system LCD giving out the rear view cam feed in my previous car and IMO I think the 2din Lcd screen gives you a better view than the rear view mirror types. This is because the screen reflects the rear view along with the LCD screen which is a bit disturbing. I am also facing rattling issue in spite of providing padding with sponge at the back.

Good that you went with the 2din HU screen option.
Old 24th August 2014, 12:38   #4320
BHPian

My dealer offered a new rear view mirror which will replace the old one with the strap-on type screen and mirror of rear parking camera for my car at the cost of 4500/- and buy back. Did not go for it yet. Just thinking.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks