Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2014, 13:50   #3976

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

My Duster has done 14000 k.ms, and I would like to share the following-
  • Did alignment and wheel balancing on reaching 10k at the dealer's service station in Whitefield. They showed me the report with caster, camber and Toe values which all looked fine, and I was convinced. Last week, I observed a slight alignment issue (By normal check – observe vehicle balance at high speed) and showed it at Tyre Empire, HSR. They found nominal difference in toe values and corrected it. It looks fine now. The point is, I don’t think these dealers’ service folks have ample time and expertise to do this and correct it (One service advisor revealed that they have 40-60 cars to attend a day, and individual attention is nearly not practical)
  • The Wonder valves – The stock valves are of poor quality (look-wise good, as it has a chrome coating) and tend to break easily, especially when you fill air and the poor guys in the bunk try to bend the valve to their ease. This easily breaks it and I had to change all the valves to a new set after an incident of flat tyre.
  • Tyre pressure – I keep consistent pressure of 30 on all tyres. But somehow after one week I notice reduction in air pressure (we can feel it on the steering). What can be the factors that can cause this? BTW, I am not an off-roader with highly likely chance of brushing the tyre against sharp and hard objects which can cause this. My drive is mostly in city and highways. Did anybody notice such a scenario?
  • Nitrogen Vs normal air – often discussed and tired off – When I changed the wonder valves, they filled nitrogen and it is very hard to find a top up in Bangalore. I think it is okay to top it up with normal air (I see, Normal air = see 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen + equations everywhere ). Any thoughts?
Old 14th May 2014, 14:11   #3977
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram190877 View Post
  • Tyre pressure – But somehow after one week I notice reduction in air pressure
  • Nitrogen Vs normal air – I think it is okay to top it up with normal air . Any thoughts?
Tyre pressure - check for a puncture

Nitrogen - read up : there is no noticeable /major advantage to use by using NItrogen, but it definitely helps the bunk. If you really want to use N2 for top-up, ask if the bunk (which has N2) will do a free top-up when you buy fuel (some say Rs 1000/- of fuel).
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2014, 14:22   #3978
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Duster service manual, which I thought suggests every 10K
Initially they were insisting for synthetic oil for which 10k is fine. Later they changed to mineral oil due to some unknown reason, probably due to customer feedback. Do you think the mineral oil has the same life as synthetic oil?

There are lot of other cars which insist on 5K oil change, atleast during the warranty period, are they not aware of the reliability of the oil?

Anyways its better check the condition of the oil and change accordingly. In my case I am changing it every 5K - 6K since remapping as it can create slightly more carbon deposit than stock.

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 14th May 2014 at 14:26.
Old 14th May 2014, 14:35   #3979
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
Initially they were insisting for synthetic oil for which 10k is fine. Later they changed to mineral oil due to some unknown reason, probably due to customer feedback. Do you think the mineral oil has the same life as synthetic oil?
I have no idea about engine oils. Just the basic facts are all I know. For me they never asked to changed to synthetic. Its always been mineral oil at regular 10K. My odometer is at 35K now.
Old 14th May 2014, 14:51   #3980

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Tyre pressure - check for a puncture

Nitrogen - read up : there is no noticeable /major advantage to use by using NItrogen, but it definitely helps the bunk. If you really want to use N2 for top-up, ask if the bunk (which has N2) will do a free top-up when you buy fuel (some say Rs 1000/- of fuel).
Thank you. I understand that there are no special advantages. But bunks with N2 is a rarity, and hence I may have to go for normal air.
Old 14th May 2014, 18:33   #3981
BHPian

Did anyone liaise with the service people regarding the speed sensing door auto-lock feature ?

My Service advisor admitted that he's seen some user manuals that contains a section that details the steps to enable the auto-lock functionality (This was discussed recently in this thread). He said neither Renault has sent them any official instructions/patches/ways to program it nor the service team were able to enable it the way the user manual instructs.
Old 14th May 2014, 19:17   #3982
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjosephjacob View Post
Did anyone liaise with the service people regarding the speed sensing door auto-lock feature ?

I have mailed Renault directly but no joy. Currently being given the run
Around.

That & the reset of the trip computer issue have not been understood much less resolved
Old 14th May 2014, 23:01   #3983
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram190877 View Post
  • Tyre pressure – I keep consistent pressure of 30 on all tyres. But somehow after one week I notice reduction in air pressure (we can feel it on the steering). What can be the factors that can cause this? BTW, I am not an off-roader with highly likely chance of brushing the tyre against sharp and hard objects which can cause this. My drive is mostly in city and highways. Did anybody notice such a scenario?
  • All tires will see an increase in pressure of 10-15% (depending on how fast you have been driving, the ambient temperature and the moisture content in the air in the tire) So if you fill your tires when they are cold to 30, they may actually be 27-28 when cold. The manufacturer always provides tires pressure specifications when cold. So, on a warm day or after a highway drive its better to over fill your tires and then release the pressure to manufacturer specs at home when they are cold (yes, I keep a pressure gauge at home )
Old 15th May 2014, 10:09   #3984
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
I have mailed Renault directly but no joy. Currently being given the run
Around.

That & the reset of the trip computer issue have not been understood much less resolved
I think the auto-lock thing happens only when you buy their aftermarket security upgrade. This is based on my understanding of what the sales guy told me when he was trying to sell it to me.

Regarding the trip meter reset - you have to reset two parameters. One is the trip meter. The other is the trip computer. The resetting method is the same. You have to long press the small button.

If you just reset the trip meter it will go back to zero but the other parameters like distance to zero, fuel consumed etc will remain what they were and will give you data based on last time they became zero.

So go to the trip computer mode, (for example the average speed) by pressing the stalk on your right hand. Then long press the button and make it zero. All the other things become zero like fuel consumed, average fuel consumption per litre etc.

This simple thing is not explained in the stupid and useless instruction manual. I had to fiddle with it and discover it for myself.
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2014, 10:11   #3985
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
I think the auto-lock thing happens only when you buy their aftermarket security upgrade. This is based on my understanding of what the sales guy told me when he was trying to sell it to me.
You mean this is a paid S/W upgrade ? And the mechanicals are available on the car? Is that what he meant?
Old 15th May 2014, 10:45   #3986
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Could you please double check? Autocop etc used to have it as a feature. So, was the guy talking about the 'benefits of getting a security system' or was he talking about 'enabling this feature'?
Old 15th May 2014, 11:00   #3987
BHPian

Got a strange issue to talk about. I lock my Duster every evening with all the windows rolled up. Despite of that, every morning I see 2-3 mosquitoes sneaked in and troubling me.

Anyone else facing similar issue? Is it an issue with the insulation or panel gaps, or I need to look somewhere else?
Old 15th May 2014, 11:14   #3988
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Could you please double check? Autocop etc used to have it as a feature. So, was the guy talking about the 'benefits of getting a security system' or was he talking about 'enabling this feature'?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
You mean this is a paid S/W upgrade ? And the mechanicals are available on the car? Is that what he meant?
I am talking about the official Renault security upgrade that they try to sell you at the dealership for about 4k. I asked the guy what is special about it and what additional things do I get? He said you get burglar alarm, you get audible beeps when you lock or unlock, you get a reverse alarm (you can't disable it) and you get auto central lock after the car reaches 15kph. I didn't see much value in it and didn't buy.

And yes, my Esteem's aftermarket remote lock has the auto central lock. Some 15 seconds after ignition the central lock is deployed, whether the car is stationary or moving. It is unlocked when you turn the ignition off.

Last edited by Sudipto-S-Team : 15th May 2014 at 11:16.
Old 15th May 2014, 11:24   #3989
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
and you get auto central lock after the car reaches 15kph. I didn't see much value in it and didn't buy.
This is interesting. Again curious to know, if this update is S/W only or they add some hardware also? Because this is the only takeaway from the package.

It would be good if this alone is available on offer. (Ideally should be available free of cost!)
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2014, 11:54   #3990
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

He said you get burglar alarm, you get audible beeps when you lock or unlock, you get a reverse alarm (you can't disable it) and you get auto central lock after the car reaches 15kph. I didn't see much value in it and didn't buy.
I thought all the above except reverse alarm was a standard feature in all cars. Never knew one beds to part extra to get such features.

Surprising way to mint money, I presume. But seeing the features provided it may not sound outright worth it but features like Auto Central lock are good which lock even if you forget to lock the doors once seated in.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks