Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2014, 10:17   #3826
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Q&A: Can somebody tell me why the owner's manual for the Duster is a bloody state secret?
No manufacturer shares it with customers, it is more as a handbook for the service centers.

There is a Duster Service Manual on this link. Hope this helps.

http://www.daciaforum.co.uk/topic/10...e-manual-2009/
Old 9th April 2014, 10:50   #3827
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
No manufacturer shares it with customers, it is more as a handbook for the service centers.
Thanks for the links, HillMan.

I mean the owner's manual; not the service manual. Have it for the Duke 390 and it is such a heaven send on the road.
Old 9th April 2014, 11:27   #3828
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
I mean the owner's manual; not the service manual.
Try this link. The Indian variant only had cosmetic differences, like position of power window switches.

http://www.renaultusa.com/News/Drive...a%20duster.pdf
Old 9th April 2014, 12:12   #3829
Senior - BHPian

I am about to take delivery of the Duster 85 psi model and would like to know about the security system upgrade that they are trying to sell as an add on accessory. What is the extra thing that it does except add an alarm? I believe it even has a stupid reverse alarm (that's an embarrassment in the neighbourhood). The OE key only remotely locks and unlocks the car and does nothing else.
Has anyone gone for this so called upgrade and share the experience?
My Esteem has a Nippon system installed. It locks/unlocks with sound and light signals. It has a burglar alarm. It automatically locks the car after 15 seconds of ignition. It unlocks the car the moment the engine is switched off. It even remotely locks itself if you don't open the door after remotely opening it. I am curious to know how the Duster system compares against it.
Old 9th April 2014, 13:07   #3830
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
I am about to take delivery of the Duster 85 psi model and would like to know about the security system upgrade that they are trying to sell as an add on accessory. What is the extra thing that it does except add an alarm? I believe it even has a stupid reverse alarm (that's an embarrassment in the neighbourhood). The OE key only remotely locks and unlocks the car and does nothing else.
Has anyone gone for this so called upgrade and share the experience?
My Esteem has a Nippon system installed. It locks/unlocks with sound and light signals. It has a burglar alarm. It automatically locks the car after 15 seconds of ignition. It unlocks the car the moment the engine is switched off. It even remotely locks itself if you don't open the door after remotely opening it. I am curious to know how the Duster system compares against it.
This is an aftermarket fitment; I do not see any use of it and if the dealer is not professional enough in installing it then it may make a mess of the wiring system. Further, if at all you have to go for it, the price in the open market will be around 40% of the price that a dealer charges.

What it will do is that it will add alarm sounds to events such as locking, unlocking, reverse gears and an attempted break-in. This used to be a very common alarm system 5-10 years back. Go for it only if you need an audible alarm for functions mentioned above.

I will strongly suggest adding a gear lock for protection. Otherwise, the Duster comes with keys that work on immobilizer system.
Old 9th April 2014, 13:12   #3831
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
I am about to take delivery of the Duster 85 psi model and would like to know about the security system upgrade that they are trying to sell as an add on accessory. What is the extra thing that it does except add an alarm?
I am not sure what security system upgrade are they providing, maybe an added sound alarm which I doubt is necessary. It already comes with a engine immobilizer, theft alarm can be useful to safeguard the audio system.
Quote:
I believe it even has a stupid reverse alarm (that's an embarrassment in the neighbourhood). The OE key only remotely locks and unlocks the car and does nothing else.
The reverse sensor of the Duster is a charm, sometimes too good to be true. Adding a loud speaker to it is unnecessary, so you may not opt for it.

Quote:
What happens to your esteem if, standing outside you unlock, open the door, turn on the ignition and close the door? I guess it locks your keys automatically after 15 secs.

Secondly after all doors of your esteem are locked and the driver wants to get down, unlocking the driver side door gets all doors of the car to unlock, a serious lapse in (relative)security.

The Duster does not have these drawbacks. The locking feature was initially criticized at length but after using the car one can find many fine points praise worthy. With the central lock on, even if the driver wants to get out, none of the other doors gets unlocked. Same goes with the front left side.
I just wish there was a auto central lock mechanism as the car crosses 5km/hr mark. Rest, if you are getting what the 110PS RxZ has as its security feature, you may not opt for any upgrade.

Last edited by himadrimondal : 9th April 2014 at 13:14.
Old 9th April 2014, 13:16   #3832
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himadrimondal View Post
I just wish there was a auto central lock mechanism as the car crosses 5km/hr mark.
I believe that such a system exists and the information on how to activate it is in the manual. The speed is 7 miles per hour or so when the doors auto-lock. Whether this system is available on all the variants is something that I am not aware of.
Old 9th April 2014, 13:38   #3833
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhawan15 View Post
I believe that such a system exists and the information on how to activate it is in the manual. The speed is 7 miles per hour or so when the doors auto-lock. Whether this system is available on all the variants is something that I am not aware of.
Vidd had mentioned about that to me. I tried to program it in my Duster. It did not work. But he confirmed it worked for Terrano.
Old 9th April 2014, 14:12   #3834
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Vidd had mentioned about that to me. I tried to program it in my Duster. It did not work. But he confirmed it worked for Terrano.
Please mention the details of how to go about it.

Last edited by himadrimondal : 9th April 2014 at 14:24.
Old 9th April 2014, 14:26   #3835
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by himadrimondal View Post
Please mention the details about how to go about it.
If you look at the Terrano driver's manual its mentioned there as a method. But it is not there in the Duster manual. Thats how we found it.
Old 9th April 2014, 14:34   #3836
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If you look at the Terrano driver's manual its mentioned there as a method. But it is not there in the Duster manual. Thats how we found it.
Its there in the manual of Duster too. Its on Page 1.8 of the manual. However, I tried doing it and it did not work. Auto-locking happens when you hit a speed of 5 miles per hour.

I will try it once again and see if it works.
Old 9th April 2014, 14:49   #3837
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Its there in the manual of Duster too. Its on Page 1.8 of the manual. However, I tried doing it and it did not work. Auto-locking happens when you hit a speed of 5 miles per hour.

Not sure then. In the manual that I was provided its not mentioned. Don't know if it has changed over time?
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2014, 16:58   #3838
BHPian

Quote:
Doesn't work on Duster. Have tried it when the info was released for Terrano.

They added this feature for Terrano and removed the Audio remote stalk
HillMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2014, 17:06   #3839
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys for your replies and opinions. I think I will stick to my decision to not have this accessory. Let me see what the OE thing is capable of and then I shall see what can be done.
Thanks once again.
Old 9th April 2014, 18:19   #3840
Senior - BHPian

Folks:

Need your opinion: I am being offered a 2013 RxL Option 85 BHP at 30k discount on 2013 price. I did a PDI today & the vehicle is pristine. Has been driven 80km.

The manager is saying he is offering a 72k effective discount. (The price of the 2014 model is 13.48 and the 2013 is 13.06; 42k +30k). I think he is offering a 2013 model at 2013 prices & hence that 42k does not count.

How much discount is reasonable for a 2013 model car? The vehicle itself is pretty good.

Appreciate a quick response - need to have my response ready when he calls tomorrow morning.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks