Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2014, 15:52   #3766

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review : K&N Filter

I just installed the stock K&N Air Filter for Renault Duster (Same as Logan Diesel filter) and there is good improvement in low end performance as well.
Old 20th March 2014, 21:42   #3767

Rattling Buggy

I think I should rechristen my duster as the rattling buggy. Totally annoyed with the two doors at the back rattling over pot-holed roads.

Got the rear left door fixed (the service station guys insisted they fixed the adjustment between lock beam on the body and the locking slot in the door frame). It worked for a few days and then the rattling re-appeared.

Any permanent fixes that anyone has come across ? I remember reading on the forum previously that perhaps double beading / padding etc can help.
Old 21st March 2014, 07:21   #3768
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Recently took a TD of 110PS Duster. Was wanting to take a TD of the 85PS actually but the dealer said they had only the 100PS at the time. Since it was a older TD Duster the clutch felt 'different' (hard??). The SA confirmed that older Dusters in 110PS did have a 'different' clutch.

Overall, the drive was good. Since I took TD on city roads, never really tested the 6th gear. But the pull (turbo) was good on hard acceleration. The seating was also 'high' compared to a sedan, that felt nice.

Since we have a Honda City V MT, the interiors of the Duster felt a bit bland, but the handling & ride was good. I was under the assumption that the Sat NAV system was a true ICE, but was told, that it did not have any USB or DVD player, hence one could not play movies. I was then told, that I could look at a CASKA system if absolutely required, which was around INR 65K, which I think is a bit too much.

Even if one considers, the RxL 85PS (Option); with a price of INR 12.25L on road approx., really think, Renault can do slightly better in terms of providing a few more gadgets, e.g. ACC, better ICE along with Sat Nav, slightly more attractive look for speed & RPM dials, one touch window up or down. Most auto manufactures are making their cabins a lot more 'attractive' these days.

With the new facelift already out for Duster, one does but wonder if INR 2.25L to pay for the RxL 85 PS is worth when in a few months anyways a facelift Duster is due. The SA did confirm that the 4x4 will be launched in India by mid 2014 but the face lift is due only in 2015.

Is it that Renault has so much production and stocked inventory of 2014 Dusters, that they are delaying the facelift until 2015 for Indian customers? From a customer point of view it becomes hard to put so much investment, when the new facelift is already 'officially' been advertised.

There was an Adventure series 110PS Duster also at the showroom. It looked good, but again the interior was spruced up only with different seat covers & floor mats (yellow lining). The 'gadgets' were the same as the top end 110PS. Wonder if Renault could have provided a electronic gadget 'differentiator' in the cabin for the Adventure series.
Old 21st March 2014, 07:57   #3769
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotracks View Post
There was an Adventure series 110PS Duster also at the showroom. It looked good, but again the interior was spruced up only with different seat covers & floor mats (yellow lining). The 'gadgets' were the same as the top end 110PS. Wonder if Renault could have provided a electronic gadget 'differentiator' in the cabin for the Adventure series.

The only good thing worth while in my opinion in the Adventure series is the cladding. I thought it would be good if these guys can provide it as an accessory for all Dusters. Hence I went ahead and checked with the showroom. And it seems its available but at a price of 21K !

Last edited by ampere : 21st March 2014 at 07:58.
Old 21st March 2014, 09:19   #3770
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The only good thing worth while in my opinion in the Adventure series is the cladding. I thought it would be good if these guys can provide it as an accessory for all Dusters. Hence I went ahead and checked with the showroom. And it seems its available but at a price of 21K !
IMO, Adventure series is a joke for the price it commands- Nearing 15L OTR in Bangalore. And it's based on the entry level RXL 110hp.

Renault Duster : Official Review-image842056529.jpg
Old 21st March 2014, 09:45   #3771
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
21k for which particular cladding? The total cladding for all the panels like doors, front and back etc in Calcutta costs more than a lakh, they said. Painting is extra !!!
Old 21st March 2014, 09:48   #3772
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
21k for which particular cladding? The total cladding for all the panels like doors, front and back etc in Calcutta costs more than a lakh, they said. Painting is extra !!!
No. I think that lakh may be the whole kit. I meant only the wheel cladding. And that alone was coming to 21K including painting. I need to confirm if that includes for the doors also, or its only the 4 wheels.
Old 21st March 2014, 10:02   #3773
Senior - BHPian

I think I will get it after the first lot of dents and nicks come in ;-)
Old 21st March 2014, 10:12   #3774
BHPian

What are they smoking seriously?? ONE LAC for plastic cladding !!!
Old 21st March 2014, 10:18   #3775
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotracks View Post
Even if one considers, the RxL 85PS (Option); with a price of INR 12.25L on road approx., really think, Renault can do slightly better in terms of providing a few more gadgets, e.g. ACC
Dusters (or in fact Dacias) sold across the world do not have ACC so its no time soon that they will introduce it.

The core reason why their cars are cheap are because they use old and proven technology rather than investing in the bells and whistles.

A fact explained at length here:

http://www.discoveryuk.com/web/fifth...ear-dacia-test

And another Interesting video:

Tgo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2014, 11:02   #3776
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
Dusters (or in fact Dacias) sold across the world do not have ACC so its no time soon that they will introduce it.
I think "in the cold countries" is more apt than "across the world". In the West, they don't even come with a radio. And their stated positioning is, "shockingly affordable".

India is a different market altogether. Here eating at McDonald's is given the same status as fine dining. So Duster is also a semi-luxury vehicle :-)
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2014, 14:26   #3777
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Its the same in Brazil too.

I agree to what you are saying about the perceived premium value in India of very average things in the western world. But it is not as simple as providing ACC in Micra/Pulse because it is already available in the Sunny/Scala. I has to go through the development process. Hence I think it would take some time.

Apart from that manufacturers hold back a few features for their mid life refreshed variants in our market.
Tgo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2014, 15:02   #3778
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
Its the same in Brazil too.
Apart from that manufacturers hold back a few features for their mid life refreshed variants in our market.
Yes, this is very true. Maybe the FY15 Dusters will have a few more features to showcase as a refresh. Helps sales & marketing teams too, to advertise and sell more. e.g. the new facelift duster has the word 'DUSTER' written on the roof rails etc.
Old 22nd March 2014, 15:28   #3779
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

BTW, Our duster has returned from a 7 day journey from Nepal.

Dad and his friends went for a birding trip to Bardia National Park. It has been reported that the car behaved very well and on the return, the journey of 800 kms was done in 18 hours (including breaks) to reach back Jaipur from Nepalgunj in one day.

This brings up 35,000 km on the ODO.
Old 23rd March 2014, 13:00   #3780
BHPian

Re: Rattling Buggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG10 View Post
I think I should rechristen my duster as the rattling buggy. Totally annoyed with the two doors at the back rattling over pot-holed roads.

Got the rear left door fixed (the service station guys insisted they fixed the adjustment between lock beam on the body and the locking slot in the door frame). It worked for a few days and then the rattling re-appeared.

Any permanent fixes that anyone has come across ? I remember reading on the forum previously that perhaps double beading / padding etc can help.
You should try what @himadrimondal did by replaing dummies with actual rubber stoppers

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3081450

Even i did the same to my duster. That will biring down the creaking noise from the doors. All vehicles i had seen has these stoopers. These stoppers hold the door tight between the metals of door and the vehicle body.

What the service guys doing is to hammer the lock beam towards the body to tighten the hold but whatever you do 2 metals cant hold tight for long and will create noise.

Try the rubber stoopers, Either go to a door mechanic or just go to local automobile market and ask for these stoppers. You can change it yourself.

Most Viewed