Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2014, 10:52   #3751
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid_deb View Post
Hi Everyone,

Our Duster RxE has clocked 12,000 kms so far and the second service was done at 10,000 kms around a month back. Since the last week, there has been a squeaking or grinding noise coming whenever the brakes are applied.

As far as my understanding goes, such a noise generally appears when the brake pads have worn out. Considering the car has been largely driven in a sedate fashion by my uncle and not crunched many kms, could this really be the source of the problem?
Cheers,
Sidharth
The pads have not worn out. If you remove the pads, would notice bits of metal embedded on the pads, thats how these pads are made. Prolonged braking burns this metal which gives rise to the grinding noise. Take the car to your trusted local mech, check how much of the pad is left. Sand paper the pads and the grinding noise will dissappear.
himadrimondal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2014, 13:49   #3752
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
By drum / wheel you are referring to rear break shoes or front discs? Did they mention break up of cost?
Front. The left side one was gone bad
ashlyak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2014, 15:17   #3753
BHPian

I'm consistently getting incredibly high fuel efficiency figures in the past couple of months. Mine is the 85ps version @ around 7k km, with 29psi on all 4 tires. May be those rigorous running-in procedures that I unfailingly followed helped.

Unless in case of emergencies, I always drive with a light foot and restrict myself to 75-80kmph (mostly around 1950 rpm). Well I think that's the sweet spot of Duster 85ps engine, where it produces the peak torque and efficiency.

Nowadays I don't find it too hard to achieve over 24 kmpl averages in my long drives (Over 100km, may be around 75% of total time in 5th gear, good roads, less-to-medium traffic density, 2 or 3 persons onboard and light luggage). No, the onboard computer cannot be wrong, as the manually calculated mileage figures from tankful-to-tankful method have tallied with the digital readings.

The engine may be old school, however I’m thoroughly impressed.

Renault Duster : Official Review-duster852.jpg
xjosephjacob is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th March 2014, 15:24   #3754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaibir View Post
This is what Renault has told all dealers - no launches in CY14 except for the Koleos and Fluence facelifts already launched. I had also checked with a Renault rep at the Auto Expo and they confirmed that the Duster facelift wont be launched this year.
Ok, good to know. Only thing is that it shouldn't be that customers buy the current Duster and then mid year in 2014, Renault says (after current stock is sold) they are now launching the facelift 2014 Duster in second half of current year. My discussion with the SA started with the facelift Duster having the word "DUSTER" written on the roof rails. Plus, maybe Renault may introduce some new colors too with the facelift Duster like they presently did with the Adventure series.
Old 10th March 2014, 15:29   #3755
Senior - BHPian

Zigwheels is claiming that the Duster & Terrano both will get the 4X4 variants this year. More details here:

http://www.zigwheels.com/news-featur...get-4x4/18046/
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2014, 17:14   #3756
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjosephjacob View Post
I'm consistently getting incredibly high fuel efficiency figures in the past couple of months. Mine is the 85ps version @ around 7k km, with 29psi on all 4 tires. May be those rigorous running-in procedures that I unfailingly followed helped.
Thats amazing. Have you correlated the same with actual numbers? (I mean with actual fill-up details). That would good to know. What I typically follow is use a regular bunk and always do auto-cutoff. Maybe its not that correct, compared to top-up to brim. But since its the same bunk, the irregularities gets averaged out. Based on this method mine gives a consistent 17.5 to 18. Over the whole of ownership it averages to 17.
ampere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th March 2014, 18:59   #3757
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjosephjacob View Post

Unless in case of emergencies, I always drive with a light foot and restrict myself to 75-80kmph (mostly around 1950 rpm). Well I think that's the sweet spot of Duster 85ps engine, where it produces the peak torque and efficiency.
That's just great! Very impressive indeed. How much do you average in typical city or suburb traffic? If you get even 18 kmpl, that would also be very impressive.

The running-in period discipline certainly helps. I did the same with my Honda City and it gives an average around 15.5 kmpl to 16 kmpl in suburban traffic and close to 18 kmpl on highway.

If you do so much highway driving, what were your reasons to choose 85 PS over 100 PS? Most people on frequent long drives prefer 100 PS is my understanding.
Old 10th March 2014, 19:36   #3758
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Zigwheels is claiming that the Duster & Terrano both will get the 4X4 variants this year. More details here:
We have been hearing this for a long time now. The earlier rumour was it would be launched when Ford came in with its Ecosport. It did not happen. Given the aggressive discounting that's going on in its existing models right now (which means slack demand), I don't think a 4x4 - which will be more expensive than the highest model by at least a lakh - is expected any time soon.

I don't see too many people queuing up to buy a Duster at Rs 15 lakh plus, even if it has 4x4. A few enthusiasts might but that's not enough to make it sustainable.

Let a new stable government take over and things will happen after that.
Old 11th March 2014, 17:01   #3759
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
.. Have you correlated the same with actual numbers?... What I typically follow is use a regular bunk and always do auto-cutoff. Maybe its not that correct, compared to top-up to brim. But since its the same bunk, the irregularities gets averaged out. ...
I don't maintain a fuel consumption log, however as indicated in my earlier post, I've tallied the digital readings and the actual fuel efficiency calculated using tankful-to-tankful method a few times and found that the values almost used to match. Error margin varied from .5kmpl to .8kmpl according to my calculations, the actual mileage figures obviously being on the lower side.

I also depend on the auto cut-off feature of the dispenser, but I used to fill up from different pumps. I agree that the auto cut-off method may not be accurate; appreciate your attention to details

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotracks View Post
..How much do you average in typical city or suburb traffic...
...If you do so much highway driving, what were your reasons to choose 85 PS over 100 PS? Most people on frequent long drives prefer 100 PS is my understanding.
That'd be difficult for me to answer because the nearest city (City limit to be exact) is about 20km from my place. But then, whenever I used drive to City and return figures were always above 18 IIRC. (Read: 20km to city limits, 20 km inside city limits-> 20km from city limits back to home)

As you may know, we've lots of posts in this thread regarding 85ps vs 110ps. I chose 85ps because I find that the geography and road conditions over here (Kerala) favor vehicles that have excellent drivability. With a very busy (network of narrow roads in the) coastal plain in the west and undulating terrains of Western Ghats on the east, 85ps is the right machine for Duster.

Roads here are generally narrow, and the traffic & population density are on the higher side as well. The best road (and the widest) in Kerala is a mere 40km 4 lane stretch of NH47 between Mannuthy and Angamali. There are like 8 or 9 traffic junctions (signals) and a toll plaza in that 40 km stretch, can you believe it. Regarding the other roads- less said, the better.

Taking facts like these in to account, it’s unsafe to drive at speeds over 70 and rather impossible to cruise @ 100 kmph for more than a minute. This makes the 6th gear of Duster 110, pretty useless here.

Also, I was reasonably sure that the difference in fuel efficiencies between the 5 geared 85ps FGT machine and the 6 geared 110ps VGT machine (On the typically busy Kerala roads), would be much more than what SIAM indicates (20.45 v/s 19.01). Ownership reviews (From various sources) reflected the same.

And in case I needed performance I found that 85ps is a pretty capable performer as well.
Old 12th March 2014, 12:16   #3760
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
All Duster owners, How much are you all paying for the insurance premium and the IDV for that? Last year, my premium was 23300/- for an IDV of 950000 (Zero Dep Policy from National Insurance). I had a claim this year and hence no NCB. This year on renewal, I got the quote of 23200/- for an IDV of 800000.

I also got a quotation of 17000/- for an IDV of 850000 from HDFC (Silver plan Zero Dep Policy) with roadside assistance option for 500/- extra. For platinum plan (with engine protection and retaining the NCB even if there is a claim) for ~18500/-.

Why is it showing a 5K difference, any idea? Is there any catch in this? ..
I am worried about these differences too!
Could you please let me know some "high impact" adders that need to be checked for such differences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroback View Post
I got zero dep insurance with all frills attached from TATA AIG for 29K for second year. IDV is 8,60000 for my vehicle.

I wanted to go for HDFC, but when read fine print came to know if I got for all out zero dep I will have to pay close to 32K, so opted out of it.

FWIW, dealer fleeced me for first year comprehensive insurance at 29K. Had to make 3 claims :( , so decided to change insurance company to TATA AIG from Bharti AXA.

HTH
I have seen - most Duster guys have 9~10L as 2nd year IDV.
My Duster's IDV is coming upto 10L *based on policy bazaar comparison I did couple of days ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy View Post
All insurance companies offer a discount to the customer if you negotiate directly. .. I have taken zero depreciation policy for my Duster and it cost me Rs.31500/- approx...
and in the unfortunate event of anything going wrong,zero depreciation policy comes in handy. Strictly my opinion.
Can we do the negotiation directly with the person calling us (from the insurance company)?
Some pointers, please.

---

Referring to the quoted posts about the insurance for Dusters on the forum, I wanted to understand the choice of the offering Insurance companies (Policy with zero dep).

1. Our Duster being 85 RxL(o) - 2013 with OTR 13.6L.
I was trying to understand what "should" be the ideal IDV for the vehicle in 1st year insurance renewal.

Current Insurance is ICICI Lombard (valid upto 16th May 2014) Zero Dep + Comprehensive cover (done through the company :( .. ) costed us 34K!
This insurance has IDV as 10.6L

2. I did some quick inputs on policybazaar & for insurance renewal - I am getting quotes around 25K ( again going with zero dep + comprehensive ).

I would like to understand what particular adders have the other Duster owners considered while renewing (0 dep) insurance.

Typical quote around 25K seems okay?

Inputs appreciated.

Ace.

Last edited by driverace : 12th March 2014 at 12:20.
Old 12th March 2014, 12:56   #3761
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post
....I have seen - most Duster guys have 9~10L as 2nd year IDV. My Duster's IDV is coming upto 10L *based on policy bazaar comparison I did couple of days ago....
Insurance companies reduce IDVs to reduce the premium. However they will never tell you the IDV unless you specifically suggest/ask. Please stick to better IDVs and still negotiate for a good premium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post
....Can we do the negotiation directly with the person calling us (from the insurance company)?
Some pointers, please...
Yes, you can! They are basically sales agents. When they are pushed to the limits, they may need to take permission from their senior. As long as the negotiation is within their limits, they can close the deal for you, then and there.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2014, 10:44   #3762
Senior - BHPian

I am getting the insurance waiver on a new Duster. Do I need to check something and ensure that I get full coverage?
Old 15th March 2014, 13:51   #3763
BHPian

see if it is Zero-Dep policy or if they will let you add that clause with paying a little extra.
Old 16th March 2014, 20:42   #3764

Hi,
Today while driving my 110 Duster I got initially Electronic Fault or Diesel Pre heating Warning light, subsequently this warning light disappeared and a steady Toxic fume filter system Wx light came ON. I connected my OBDII tool and it diagnosed the fault as P160C-Power Train Sensor. Then after disconnecting the OBD II tool the fault also disappeared. Can some one explain the effect of P160C fault.
Regards
Old 18th March 2014, 22:57   #3765
BHPian

Guys I too booked 85 RXL+ model last week. The dealer at Mandi (Himachal Pradesh) insisted that new facelift duster won't be coming till next year. This year they are only going to lauch the 4X4 variant. He too mentioned that new facelift was not displayed in the Autoexpo 2014. So I decided to trust him . Besides I wanted to take benefit of the current excise duty cut. Now I am sincerely hoping that facelift does not get launched this year. I would look like a fool. He did agree to give it in writing that it won't be launched this year. If it does I am going to eat him up.
vibhavraghav is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks