Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2014, 10:42   #3721

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
The 85PS filter costs 5490/-(mrp). As per the official importer of K&N Filters (Methods Automotive), only 85PS filters are available in the Indian market and 110PS filters are under testing, not yet introduced. Moreover you can buy it from SnapDeal with seasonal discounts as they have a store, make sure you get in touch with them before you order.
Thanks Buddy...Did u notice any performance improvement?
Old 3rd March 2014, 10:43   #3722
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayBuddha View Post
Maybe someone with an ammeter can measure the voltage and ampere output from this outlet
Why dont you find the fuse which powers the socket and the reading will give you the answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudra_duster View Post
Thanks Buddy...Did u notice any performance improvement?
Mine is a remapped Duster. The initial impression was mentioned in : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3377889

Last edited by benbsb29 : 3rd March 2014 at 21:28. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts. Plz use the Edit button if posting within 30 mins of previous post. Thanks.
Old 3rd March 2014, 11:58   #3723
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himadrimondal View Post
Its actually very sad when you guys are complaining about the ride quality if the Duster. The first thing that catches my eye is you guys are coming from the sedan background. You should not have bought the Duster, regret the hype it created and many sedan owners, normal office goers falling for it.

Ask a guy who had sweat it out on a Bolero, Scorpio, Safari or any other suv's of similar category. The Duster rides like heaven and trust me, everyone with all the positive reviews and acknowledgements have still not guaged the capabilities of the fine soft offroader.

This car can take you from Kolkata to Delhi in straight 18 hrs flat, 1465kms in ONE Day and the driver and its passengers including a child still fresh to attend a ceremony at 11 in the night.

This car will take you to one of the most extreme places in India and be still composed and handle all boulders with ease.

My car has crossed 26k kms and is absolutely rattle free, doubt if anybody will subject the car to such extreme surface and weather like I did, proud to own a Duster.

Have patience, if you love your car, spend time with it, not by riding it but by working on it. Make it a head turner.

Hello Himadri,
I tend to agree with your comments about comparing sedans/saloons and SUV is rather like comparing mangoes with guavas. SUV undercarriage and supension setups are meant for taking the rough with the smooth - more of the former and less of the latter in fact! Thus, the stiffer rides and greater rolls and more relaxed cornering abilities in most SUVs (leaving exotics like the Cayenne aside).

That said, I have my reservations (as I've mentioned elsewhere in this forum) about calling the Duster a proper SUV. I am a dedicated SUV user (currently a happy Scorpio owner for the past eight years and before that the Tata Sierra) and have been touring the country by road since 1994. I firmly believe that an SUV must have rear-wheel drive as a starter and preferably 4wd or AWD. Going by this yardstick, even the capable XUV500 was a pretender till they introduced the AWD version. I have been called a stubborn old goat (I'm 62) for my bias, but I stand by what I said - anything with an overall length exceeding 4m and a wheelbase exceeding 2.4m should stick to RWD, the rest is all packaging convenience, marketing hype and gross engineering practice !
Old 3rd March 2014, 15:06   #3724
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
I firmly believe that an SUV must have rear-wheel drive as a starter and preferably 4wd or AWD.
Hi Shashanka,

Well I'm a proud owner of Duster and I'm thoroughly loving my ride till now, I agree to your point that if you call any car as an Sports Utility Vehicle, I have started to believe that it should atleast be a RWD if not AWD. After my latest drive to North Sikkim, I really felt that Duster should have been RWD, as the other RWD so called SUVs (Sumo, Bolero) had no problems when it comes to handle icy roads.

I know we are not supposed to drive on icy roads without proper tyres or snow chains, but if you have to, then the car should be a RWD.
gurha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2014, 15:41   #3725
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurha View Post
Hi Shashanka,

Well I'm a proud owner of Duster and I'm thoroughly loving my ride till now, I agree to your point that if you call any car as an Sports Utility Vehicle, I have started to believe that it should atleast be a RWD if not AWD. After my latest drive to North Sikkim, I really felt that Duster should have been RWD, as the other RWD so called SUVs (Sumo, Bolero) had no problems when it comes to handle icy roads.

I know we are not supposed to drive on icy roads without proper tyres or snow chains, but if you have to, then the car should be a RWD.
If RWD vehicles were better on icy roads, the drivers should have been real good
Old 3rd March 2014, 18:01   #3726
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayBuddha View Post
This ("don't use the front charging outlet") is something the SA told me on his own volition - I didn't even bring up anything about the charger.

Maybe someone with an ammeter can measure the voltage and ampere output from this outlet and inform us !? Thanks
The Capdase charger I use has a display which shows the car battery voltage. With this instrument plugged in the front charging outlet, dispalys 14.2V while car is running, 11.6-12.2V when ignition is off.

Quote:
Hello Himadri..
That said, I have my reservations (as I've mentioned elsewhere in this forum) about calling the Duster a proper SUV. I am a dedicated SUV user (currently a happy Scorpio owner for the past eight years and before that the Tata Sierra) and have been touring the country by road since 1994. I firmly believe that an SUV must have rear-wheel drive as a starter and preferably 4wd or AWD. Going by this yardstick, even the capable XUV500 was a pretender till they introduced the AWD version. I have been called a stubborn old goat (I'm 62) for my bias, but I stand by what I said - anything with an overall length exceeding 4m and a wheelbase exceeding 2.4m should stick to RWD, the rest is all packaging convenience, marketing hype and gross engineering practice !
I guess you should try the Duster and I am sure you would be happily surprised. I have done the Sandakphu route till Singalila National park on this Duster. Leh can be high in altitude but the inclines of Sandakphu stretch is unmatched. No 2WD, RWD suv's ever gives it a try. Only 4WD Land Rovers.

Quote:
After my latest drive to North Sikkim, I really felt that Duster should have been RWD, as the other RWD so called SUVs (Sumo, Bolero) had no problems when it comes to handle icy roads.

Thats quiet strange infact. A RWD car will instantly start to fishtail on snow, slippery and slush ground. Where as a FWD with the help of the engine weight on the front wheels will be able to maintain a straight line of drive. I have been on snow and slush and never had problems of getting stuck.
himadrimondal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2014, 18:15   #3727
BHPian

Quote:

Thats quiet strange infact. A RWD car will instantly start to fishtail on snow, slippery and slush ground. Where as a FWD with the help of the engine weight on the front wheels will be able to maintain a straight line of drive. I have been on snow and slush and never had problems of getting stuck.
I was also equally shocked when I saw it with my own eyes and I was cursing all the way because I couldn't reach Gurudongmar lake because of that. I read your entire t-log about your recent trip to 'Singalila National park' and that gave me lot of motivation to plan my trip but when I was actually there, I saw Sumos/Bolero/Max easily passing the icy roads/ditches whereas Duster struggled a lot even when I had hired a driver from Gangtok. I'm in the process of completing my T-log, probably then we can discuss about what I might have done to not get stuck where I was.
Old 3rd March 2014, 18:19   #3728
BHPian

I'm not sure if this has been discussed elsewhere, however I was wondering if anyone has tried to install the Rubber strip that runs along the bottom of the doors in a Terrano on a Duster. From the inside, the doors of Terrano and Duster look similar especially the position of those drain holes et.al, correct me if I'm wrong.

I figure those rubber strips can improve the NVH levels.

Reusing pics from team bhp reviews:

Renault Duster : Official Review-nissanterrano23.jpg

Renault Duster : Official Review-renaultduster14.jpg
Old 3rd March 2014, 18:36   #3729
BHPian

Quote:
Duster struggled a lot even when I had hired a driver from Gangtok. I'm in the process of completing my T-log, probably then we can discuss about what I might have done to not get stuck where I was.
Put up the tlog as fast you can, discussion and experience will be really interesting.
And how did you manage the permissions above Gangtok, just hiring a local driver was enough? Please post/pm me all details.

Last edited by himadrimondal : 3rd March 2014 at 18:47.
Old 3rd March 2014, 23:57   #3730
BHPian

Quote:
The 85PS filter costs 5490/-(mrp). As per the official importer of K&N Filters (Methods Automotive), only 85PS filters are available in the Indian market and 110PS filters are under testing, not yet introduced. Moreover you can buy it from SnapDeal with seasonal discounts as they have a store, make sure you get in touch with them before you order.
K&N air filter for 110 ps is available in India. I bought it from a dealers of Methods Automotive from Kerala.
Old 4th March 2014, 07:03   #3731
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Capdase charger I use has a display which shows the car battery voltage. With this instrument plugged in the front charging outlet, dispalys 14.2V while car is running, 11.6-12.2V when ignition is off.

I guess you should try the Duster and I am sure you would be happily surprised. I have done the Sandakphu route till Singalila National park on this Duster. Leh can be high in altitude but the inclines of Sandakphu stretch is unmatched. No 2WD, RWD suv's ever gives it a try. Only 4WD Land Rovers.

Hi Himadri,
OK, I'll take yr word & give the Duster a try - even tho' the AWD W8 XUV500 is in my radar. We have two hyper-active boxers, our regular travelling companions, who need space, for which the Duster may prove inadequate.

Now, coming to the nitty-gritty - at the risk of repeating myself I'll again give the examples of the FWD sedans (City and Ikon) we found in difficulties in Uttaranchal (probably en route Mukteshwar if I remember correctly). They were both scrabbling for grip up an incline on the loose, kachcha surface that is prevalent there, once you step off the tarmac. The problem was resolved with a tow-rope and both of us pulling at the same time.

We've been doing this Uttaranchal run (mumbai>lucknow>uttaranchal>lucknow>mumbai) since '97, together with runs to madikeri(Coorg) from mumbai and back, as well as the occasional trip to kolkata via lucknow. And like yourself, we too have had no serious problems with the Sierra and now the Scorpio. We got stuck in mud once, between Almora and Kausani, and I have no desire to repeat that experience. Aside from that occasion, the Scorpio has been lion-hearted, stoically tackling everything in its path.

My basic reservation against large FWDers is the fact that tackling the combined forces of full steering lock, together with applied full torque (as often happens) takes a needless toll on the front undercarriage setup (arms, linkages, knuckles, bushes etc), with resultant higher wear & tear. And even mfrs. with decades of experience in making only FWDers (such as Saab, Citroen) have owners complaining about this aspect.

I hope we can make a trip to Sandakphu/Sangalila sometime soon.
shashanka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2014, 07:23   #3732
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Shashanka,

Hello Gurha,
I'm glad you're enjoying your Duster and I wish you happy touring! I'm happy that you share my view about SUVs having AWD/RWD. And like you said, snow chains/studded tyres should be used when tackling snow/ice. Fortunately I have not tackled snow yet in my touring, but mud is something I have experience of - and boy, that's something I'd like to avoid. Do you know where we can get snow chains? I'll definitely keep it in mind, since Uttaranchal is more a home away from home for us, and summers there are fabulous.
Old 4th March 2014, 08:35   #3733
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshwinThekkan View Post
K&N air filter for 110 ps is available in India. I bought it from a dealers of Methods Automotive from Kerala.
Does it come with the importer's name Methods Automotive, Bangalore? On speaking to their Bangalore sales division and one of the main distributor Dreams and Doers, they confirmed they are not importing any filters for 110. There is some confusion somewhere. Anyways check with the importer before any purchase as there are chances of fake ones too.
Old 4th March 2014, 09:04   #3734
BHPian

Quote:
Do you know where we can get snow chains? I'll definitely keep it in mind, since Uttaranchal is more a home away from home for us, and summers there are fabulous.
Hi Shashanka,

I recently bought snow chains from amazon.com and got it shipped to India. There is a new thread started which tells you how to procure snow chains in India as there is one retailer who can possibly provide at a cheaper rates.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...ins-india.html

Last edited by gurha : 4th March 2014 at 09:15.
gurha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2014, 17:49   #3735
BHPian

Quote:
Does it come with the importer's name Methods Automotive, Bangalore? On speaking to their Bangalore sales division and one of the main distributor Dreams and Doers, they confirmed they are not importing any filters for 110. There is some confusion somewhere. Anyways check with the importer before any purchase as there are chances of fake ones too.
U made me restless. So I made a couple of calls to Methord Automotive banglore and they confirmed that K&N Filters is available for duster 110 ps and the one i am using is a genuine one. So the case is solved and closed !
AshwinThekkan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks