Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2014, 19:27   #3631
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahwa View Post
Where did you get these curtains? Review and price please!
Thanks guys. I bought the car curtains from ebay, Brand is 'Sun n Shade' and price is Rs.3799/-. I have attached the below link from ebay.in
http://www.ebay.in/itm/271218199241?...#ht_1558wt_902
jaisha8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2014, 10:44   #3632
Senior - BHPian

Renault Duster Adventure launched at Rs.12.18 Lacs, which was also displayed at the Auto Expo 2014. More details here:

http://www.crazyengineers.com/thread...ist-out.73319/

The features of the variant are:
- Smokes headlamps;
- Door side sill, “Adventure ” signature on the car;
- Front guard with fog lamps;
- Wheel arch cladding & side body moulding
- New 16-alloy wheels;
- Dual front airbags, ABS, and EBD with brake assist;
- Piano Black finish on the center console & steering wheel;
- Lime Green Seat Upholstery fabric & Door Trim Fabric Insert;
- 4 speakers & steering mounted controls coupled with MediaNav system & electrically adjustable outer mirrors.

Pic:

Name:  RenaultDusterAdventure.png
Views: 7389
Size:  384.9 KB

Last edited by CARDEEP : 14th February 2014 at 10:48.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2014, 11:18   #3633
BHPian

Looks cool. Hope the cladding are available as accessories soon.
Old 14th February 2014, 16:36   #3634
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Renault Duster has been launched in India at a price of between Rs. 7.19 - 11.29 Lakhs (ex-Delhi).

What you’ll like:

• A monocoque SUV at the price of C2 segment sedans. Good looking too
• Robust, abuse-friendly build & construction
• Outstanding ride quality. Comfortable over any kind of road
Car-like to drive. Balanced handling and dynamics
• 205mm of ground clearance. Dismisses broken roads with aplomb
• Fuel efficient 1.5L diesel engine with adequate power on tap
• Practical boot (475 - 1064 liters of cargo capacity)

What you won’t:

• No 3rd row of seats. A 5 seater SUV, unlike its 7 seater competitors
• Cost cutting glaringly evident on the inside. Weird ergonomics as well
• Mediocre rear seat legroom. More like C1 segment sedans than C2
• 109 BHP diesel has noticeable turbo lag below 2,000 rpm
• Higher variants are steeply priced. 110 PS Duster is too close to the XUV & Yeti
• No climate control, 60:40 split on rear seat, dead pedal, auto locking doors or 1-touch down windows
• Renault's after-sales is an unknown quantity

NOTE: Click any picture to open a larger higher-resolution version in a new window
Dear GTO,
Thanks for the exhaustive and comprehensive review of the Duster. I am a new member on Team-BHP and though I am 62, my wife & I have been touring the country by road since 1994. I too am a firm advocate of the SUV school - we have owned a M&M Scorpio these past several years and before that the Tata Sierra for another eight years - and have derived great joy over the years through our travels. I must admit that this review is more comprehensive than other car reviews I have read in other magazines and thanks once again for the same.

I was hoping for a clarification on a relatively minor issue - I have always felt that an SUV should have 4WD/AWD or at the very least rear wheel drive.
As must be obvious, I belong to the earlier lot of motorists with a passion for long-distance touring {(Mumbai>Lucknow,Lucknow>Naukuchiatal(Uttaranchal) , Mumbai>Madikeri(Coorg), Lucknow>Kolkata among others, over the years)} when the penchant had not yet become the epidemic that it is today ! And we understood that an SUV must have some basic requisites - durability, ruggedness and above all gradability - the ability to take inclines in stride in loaded condition. Though the Sierra was prone to overheating on steep inclines, the Scorpio has taken everything in stride that we came across, without a whimper. On the other hand, we have come across the odd FWD vehicle - a Honda City and a Ford Ikon come to mind, both occasions somewhere in Uttaranchal - in difficulties on an incline, scrabbling for grip on the uneven, kaccha surfaces that abound there. We offered help in the form of a tow rope and, pulling in tandem, overcame the hiccup.

This is not to say that the Scorpio never got in trouble - I have no wish to repeat an experience when we got stuck in mud between Almora and Ranikhet! But I do hold a brief in favour of RWD/4WD as a prerequisite for any self-respecting SUV (but not a soft-roader, mind you - another odd category, neither one thing nor the other, so to speak !)

There are other issues too that I feel mitigate against FWD for SUVs - torque steer and the occasional problem with full traction under full lock conditions, among others. Though I fear this is getting into argumentative territory and I really have no wish to offend the FWD contingent.

I wonder where the team-BHP members stand in all this.
With best regards
Shashanka
Old 14th February 2014, 19:11   #3635
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
I was hoping for a clarification on a relatively minor issue - I have always felt that an SUV should have 4WD/AWD or at the very least rear wheel drive.
SUV is a very relative term these days. And I think we should not be living by its definition any more. Finally it just comes to the needs of the buyer.

- If you need to traverse all kinds of terrains, you then look for AWD/4WD
- If you need to travel on rough roads, you may not need an AWD, but find some thing with good clearance.
- Many infact buy Fortuner because they say they want a 7 seater!

So as per me it does not matter what the vehicle is called. If it solves your need, I think thats the vehicle you need.

Say for example you had a Scorpio and you have been touring around the country. Let me ask :
- I don't know if you had 4WD on your Scorp. If not, did you ever feel the need for the places that you toured? If no, then any vehicle with a good Ground Clearance should have served your purpose.
- If you had 4WD, did you use many times. If yes, then truly you need 4WD.

Let me give another example (my case)
- I am sure I don't drive into rough terrains and I know I would never need a 4WD
- But I also know, I don't like low GC vehicles, because of the humps and bad roads/rough roads I tackle in my city every day
- I had been driving a Fusion for a long time and I realised how important GC was for me.
- That was my priority. Add to it, I also needed good FE, as I do fair bit of driving in city and on highways.
- Duster with its ride quality and good FE was the perfect for me.
- The fact that it does not have a 4WD, does not make a difference to me
- Even if it had come in a 4WD trim, I would not have bought it.
- Even if they had not called it an SUV, but a car, I would have bought it.
- Because it answered to my priorities.

Add to here is a thread running into 40 pages, and I am sure you would get lot many perspectives.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...uv-debate.html
Old 15th February 2014, 08:58   #3636
Senior - BHPian

Well said - finally it just comes to the needs of the buyer. That, in a nutshell, says it all.
Unfortunately I have a small problem with the current obsession with jargon! SUV, MUV, MPV, and the current buzzword AMT among lots of others.

As a recently retired Marine engineer - yes, I know, lots of hands on experience on all kinds of m/c including all kinds of diesel engines - we are a fairly conservative lot and like to dot our i's and cross our t's as much as possible. When I was younger I'd often get into arguments with the non-technical lot when they would wax eloquent on topics which even hairychested gearheads would walk warily around (torsen diffs, haldex units, Maxaret brakes etc)! And when push came to shove, out would tumble the fact that they had no idea what they were talking about! Today I'm a more or less mellowed senior citizen and always happy to live & let live, but I guess the allergy to loose verbal usage
still lingers!
Thanks for the thread, will certainly look it up - one is always looking for nuggets of new information and knowledge.
Rgds,
Shashanka
Old 16th February 2014, 14:55   #3637
BHPian

Its been slightly over 6 months since the Duster 110 was purchased and we've just crossed the first milestone of 10000kms. Time for the first service now! The things I'm planning to do at this stage are:
  • Ensure synthetic oil topup is used - i'm assuming that the service station will only allow Elf brand to be used. If there is an option, what is recommended - Mobil1?
  • Get the door squeaking problem solved. One thing I've noticed is that there is no squeaking when the car has come out of a good 3M type wash for a week. So i'm assuming that the source of the squeaking is the beading and the dust that enters between the beading and the door frame due to the slightly poor design of the Duster doors. Hope the on-demand beading replacement that Renault is offering is being honored by the service centers
  • Get door damping done - as per Ampere's threads. I don't know any good mechanic shops in Delhi or I would have attempted Himadri's DIY rubber damping as well
  • Get rollup window shades installed - have just purchased the Ebay option listed by a FM a few posts back. Hope they will be of decent quality atleast. Will get this done along with the door damping
  • Once service is over, am going to take the car for a full 3M Paint Protection treatment (that I should have gotten done at purchase itself, but then there was no 3M option in Delhi at that point). Will cost around 6K I'm told

Are there any other must-dos that I've missed based on other FMs' service experience with Renault? I fervently pray that Renault will make the Adventure-version cladding etc. available as kit soon because I see a lot of value in that.

I'd have loved to be able to get the 4x4 version if I had known it was on the horizon (July 2014 is it?) I must say that these 6 months have been very good - we've been able to consistently get over 15KMPL average on the 110, drive over 1000 kms consistently on a full tank (65+ litres!), and feel very secure and comfortable while doing so. The car is extremely trustworthy and except for some small niggles and irritating cost-cutting measures that Renault has undertaken, its definitely worth every rupee we've paid for it.
Old 16th February 2014, 14:55   #3638
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
thought of cross posting this here (from the Terrano thread)

The 85 or lemme hazard a guess, the K9K engine itself; runs out of steam pretty fast and while you will see a lot of huffing and puffing of the engine- you will not see outright acceleration needed to complete this (possibly) risky but not entirely foreseeable maneuvering.

Consider yourself warned !
The K9K is a very capable engine and if there was a need for spirited driving the 110ps would have been a better choice. Though there is turbo lag at slow speeds on the highway it is a great performer and has bursts of power on demand. Even at speeds in excess of 150km there is power on tap for overtaking. Handling at those speeds also remains very confidence inspiring.
Old 16th February 2014, 15:11   #3639
BHPian

My brother got me the Chrome 'DUSTER' & 'RENAULT' name plates for the bonnet and front bumper. These are mirror finish and looks great giving Duster a 'Land Rover' looks. Attaching some pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster : Official Review-dsc_7106.jpg  

Renault Duster : Official Review-dsc_7108.jpg  

Renault Duster : Official Review-dscn0192.jpg  

Renault Duster : Official Review-dscn0191.jpg  

Renault Duster : Official Review-dscn0184.jpg  

Renault Duster : Official Review-dscn0123.jpg  

Renault Duster : Official Review-dscn0050.jpg  

jaisha8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2014, 16:45   #3640
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaisha8 View Post
My brother got me the Chrome 'DUSTER' & 'RENAULT' name plates for the bonnet and front bumper. These are mirror finish and looks great giving Duster a 'Land Rover' looks. Attaching some pictures.
These look great and add to the character of the vehicle. Can you share details about the prices and make of the front guard. I am planning to get one for my Terrano.
Old 16th February 2014, 22:34   #3641
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshwinThekkan View Post
For Which variant ? It costed aroud Rs 4000/- for me if i recall correctly. The filters are entirely different for 85ps and 110ps variant.
From where you bought it? If possible, could you please ask the vendor how much it costs for an 85PS's filter? It seems the same costs 6K from a K&N dealer in bangalore. Also does it come with any warranty?
Old 16th February 2014, 22:37   #3642
BHPian

+ 1 on CMS post....i would also like to know the price ...for a friend though!!
Old 18th February 2014, 08:17   #3643
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix_Nemo View Post
These look great and add to the character of the vehicle. Can you share details about the prices and make of the front guard. I am planning to get one for my Terrano.
The front guard cost me Rs. 9300/-. I bought it from a local vendor. Sorry do not know the manufacturer.
Old 18th February 2014, 08:29   #3644
BHPian

The new modified 'Duster' available in Thrissur showroom now. Price is a bit higher than the actual.
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster : Official Review-dsc_7080.jpg  

jaisha8 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2014, 10:52   #3645
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaisha8 View Post
The new modified 'Duster' available in Thrissur showroom now. Price is a bit higher than the actual.
Is there a way you could get more pics, from all angles? It looks nice. And what are the changes? Is it just external or something in the interiors as well?

And how much more than the normal variant?

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 18th February 2014 at 10:54.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks