Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2013, 12:57   #3241
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abh1nav View Post
It's been 300 Kms with my new Duster and I'm loving every bit of it! The ride quality is great as expected. The engine is under the running-in period, so have to restrict myself till 2500 rpm, and generally shift at 2000 rpm.

The MID was showing a mileage of 11.2 kmpl on the first day I got the car home, but there was bumper to bumper traffic that evening and it took me 3 hours to cover 45kms! The mileage is now hovering around 14.5-14.9 kmpl, with mostly in-city driving with low-medium traffic! Don't know if that's good or bad, but surely expect it to go up by another 1-2 kmpl.
Congrats on your new buy! The mileage figures you are getting are fine, they will ofcourse improve by 2 kmpl as per my experience for about 3500 KMs till date.

Since it is your first diesel mill, please make sure you idle the engine for 1 minute every morning before moving and the same way, let it idle for 30 sec to 1 min before switching off after every ride where the engine was revving above 2500 RPM. This will ensure longevity of the turbo. For more info, please refer this link:

http://www.team-bhp.com/tech-stuff/i...o-charged-cars
pahwa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2013, 14:33   #3242
BHPian

guys,
I am taking my car for the 10,000 km servicing tomorrow. As my Odo reads around 9700, and I think I would rather get it done now than adding another 1000 km to it before I go in.
Anything in particular folks would recommend...or something I should keep in mind while going for this servicing.
I am going through the other threads, but would appreciate if anyone can point me to an earlier post or their experiences.

Some of my queries would be on:
-Oil change (synthetic or regular),
-Tyre rotation (yes or no)
-Air filter (clean or change)

Anything else I should add to this list and any Renault updates to the dealers like door rattling issue which I should be aware of and avail.

Thanks in advance
Amit
Old 6th November 2013, 18:29   #3243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitdan View Post
Anything in particular folks would recommend...or something I should keep in mind while going for this servicing.
-Oil change (synthetic or regular) - Go regular oil change. Synthetic at 20K service.
-Tyre rotation (yes or no) - Yes - All 5 tyres
-Air filter (clean or change) - Change. You will need a change before next service anyway. I don't believe stock filter can live up to 20K kms unless you have a real clean surroundings.

Door rattle, ask them for the beading fix.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3217555

Last edited by HillMan : 6th November 2013 at 18:42.
HillMan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2013, 21:28   #3244
BHPian

I personally did my synthetic oil change at 14000kms.
The next change was made at 23890 kms last monday.
Rest as how Hillman has mentioned.
himadrimondal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2013, 00:49   #3245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitdan View Post
guys,

Some of my queries would be on:
-Oil change (synthetic or regular),

Amit
IMHO synthetic oils are the best friends for any engine.
ecosport rules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2013, 08:22   #3246
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
There is this humming noise which has cropped up. In the 40-60 kmph range it is really noticeable and above these speeds it goes away or is masked by the wind noise. The sound changes with speed (accelerating/decelerating). It is not originating from the transmission as the noise is present while coasting in that range in neutral. And there are no vibrations noticed in the steering/gear knob/ABC pedals anywhere.
I have not heard any humming noise in my Duster. May be it qould be a good idea to take a TD with the service adviser and show it to him.

On a flip note, it may turn out to be as simple a problem as some loosely screwed part. Just don't rule that out either.
Old 7th November 2013, 08:59   #3247
BHPian

Quote:
Our Duster 110 RXZ (O) is going to turn 1 year old on 4th November and it has been driven around quite a bit. It has been to Gujrat (10 Day trip) and Dehradun (5 Day trip) apart from doing duty in and around Jaipur. Dad is posted in Anupgarh (Indo-Pak Border) and has taken it there twice. The current ODO reading stands at 24,000 km which is similar to the first year's reading in our brand new Qualis back in 2001. There is this humming noise which has cropped up. In the 40-60 kmph range it is really noticeable and above these speeds it goes away or is masked by the wind noise. The sound changes with speed (accelerating/decelerating). It is not originating from the transmission as the noise is present while coasting in that range in neutral. And there are no vibrations noticed in the steering/gear knob/ABC pedals anywhere. The SA said that the tires are running out and this noise will come as they get older. He also said that it is present in all other vehicles which have done similar distances. I need to know from the forum whether this is being experienced by others as well? Though I was contemplating if carrying out sound dampening is a good idea or not? It might dampen the unwanted noises but, in some cases the unwanted noises are indicators of something going wrong in the vehicle which can be identified sooner.
No we have not observed in humming noise in our Duster. Then you are way higher on your Odo for 12 months than us.
Only suggestion is based on my earlier Sedan. Please try this with your aircon on and off and notice if there is a diff. That
may be narrow down the search. Please update if it gets resolved. Good luck n cheers
Old 7th November 2013, 10:03   #3248
BHPian

Quote:

There is this humming noise which has cropped up. In the 40-60 kmph range it is really noticeable and above these speeds it goes away or is masked by the wind noise. The sound changes with speed (accelerating/decelerating). It is not originating from the transmission as the noise is present while coasting in that range in neutral. And there are no vibrations noticed in the steering/gear knob/ABC pedals anywhere.
I have done 22K in 1 year and I have no sounds at all except for the wind noise. It is rather hard to believe that a humming noise can come from the tyres. I dont have any rattling sounds as well from inside.
Old 7th November 2013, 11:46   #3249
BHPian

Quote:
There is this humming noise which has cropped up. In the 40-60 kmph range it is really noticeable and above these speeds it goes away or is masked by the wind noise. The sound changes with speed (accelerating/decelerating). It is not originating from the transmission as the noise is present while coasting in that range in neutral.
This implies the humming noise is not present while the car is stationary and the rpm is raced to 2000 rpm mark.
Hence you are sure of one thing, its not from the engine.

Jack up the car and try to rotate each wheel individually and look for any sound though I doubt its coming from that.
Did you switch off the AC or blower fan or both at these speeds and observe the same noise?

Lastly, switch off the car at the humming noise speed and see if the noise still there, if its still present, the noise would be mechanical. Please take utmost precaution in performing this step. I wouldn't do this step if I cannot see 500mtrs clean and empty in front of me.
Remember your brakes won't perform as usual with the car switched off.

On the safer side, take the car to the service station and have a word with someone senior to the service advisor.

Just before my 4th service on Monday, 4th Nov 13, I was experiencing a slight vibration on my accelerator pedal around the 2k rpm mark. I checked for engine mounts and other interferences near the accelerator and found none.
Took it to the service station where the mech working on the car too looked around for the cause.
Later even at 5pm when the matter was not getting resolved, had a word with a senior technician and requested him to have a look.

The problem was solved within 5 mins.
It was a metal pipe touching the back end of the air-filter unit as the car was revved.
Since the pipe was attached to the firewall, accelerator pedal picked up the vibration.
I might have bent the pipe while cleaning the air-filter myself.

Last edited by himadrimondal : 7th November 2013 at 11:49.
himadrimondal is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th November 2013, 12:15   #3250
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
....There is this humming noise which has cropped up. In the 40-60 kmph range it is really noticeable and above these speeds it goes away or is masked by the wind noise. The sound changes with speed (accelerating/decelerating). It is not originating from the transmission as the noise is present while coasting in that range in neutral. And there are no vibrations noticed in the steering/gear knob/ABC pedals anywhere...
Wheel bearing busted?!! I could NOT relate this to anything else as you have already verified transmission etc. Wheel bearing problem starts as a humming noise and it gets louder as speed increases.

One easy way of identifying the problem is by jacking up the car, make the wheels free (in the air) and rotate the tyres with your hands. If it's a wheel bearing problem, you will hear the sound. Any alignment centre should be able to do it if you don't want to do it yourself. If you have a good rapport, they might even check it for free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by himadrimondal View Post
...Jack up the car and try to rotate each wheel individually and look for any sound though I doubt its coming from that...
Guess I was late by couple of mins.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 7th November 2013 at 12:18.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2013, 14:35   #3251
BHPian

Update on my Duster booking - still don't have a hard date even after making full payment. And now I get an email from Renault stating that the 60K exchange offer is only valid for the month of October and is valid based on delivery of the vehicle. Obviously since my vehicle will not get delivered in October I have to pay the 60K!!!

I consider this cheating on part of Renault. Its certainly not my fault that they could not deliver in the promised 10 days from 19th October. Besides it totally beats logic that any manufacturer can have a scheme that is based on delivery date and not booking date. If that were so all manufacturers could claim a 5 lakh rupee discount for some month and delay delivery until the next month and say offer is void, please pay the full amount.

Am totally pissed off, Renault cannot even honour their own word (an earlier email) that says discount is based on booking date. I'm wondering what else I'm going to get cheated on.

Have totally lost trust in Renault and am seriously considering cancelling my booking but am not sure if I will ever be able to get my money back from the dealer. Don't trust the dealer, don't trust Renault.

Does anyone here on this thread have the contact details of senior folks from Renault India where I can escalate this issue?
Old 7th November 2013, 14:44   #3252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartik Kumar View Post
Update on my Duster booking - still don't have a hard date even after making full payment. And now I get an email from Renault stating that the 60K exchange offer is only valid for the month of October and is valid based on delivery of the vehicle......
Can you check this up with your dealer again regarding the 60K off? I've received a SMS yesterday from the Renault dealer here stating that 60K offer is valid till 11th Novemeber. So you can double check again. Ofcourse there might be some hidden "Conditions" that are not mentioned in the SMS.
Old 7th November 2013, 15:10   #3253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer4x4 View Post
Can you check this up with your dealer again regarding the 60K off? I've received a SMS yesterday from the Renault dealer here stating that 60K offer is valid till 11th Novemeber. So you can double check again. Ofcourse there might be some hidden "Conditions" that are not mentioned in the SMS.
Cool! A third take on the 60K discount. To wit

1. I got an email from Renault (not the dealer, but the company) stating discount applied to date of booking not delivery. As long as date of booking is in October, discount applies.

2. I got another email from Renault (again not the dealer, but the company) stating the discount applies to date of delivery, not date of booking. Left hand does not know what the right hand is doing.

3. You got an SMS from dealer stating that discount is valid until 11th November.

Which one is the right one?
Old 7th November 2013, 16:49   #3254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartik Kumar View Post
Which one is the right one?
The Renault message is the correct one. Dealer can go back any day, like he did already. Ask them to refund your money if they cant deliver this week at the negotiated price and book W4 or Terrano. 60k increase doesn't make sense. That's a huge mark up.

And also drop your story on their facebook page.
Old 8th November 2013, 01:29   #3255
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
May be it qould be a good idea to take a TD with the service adviser and show it to him.

On a flip note, it may turn out to be as simple a problem as some loosely screwed part. Just don't rule that out either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxeloquent View Post
Please try this with your aircon on and off and notice if there is a diff. That may be narrow down the search. Please update if it gets resolved. Good luck n cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by suchit23 View Post
I have done 22K in 1 year and I have no sounds at all except for the wind noise. It is rather hard to believe that a humming noise can come from the tyres.
Quote:
Originally Posted by himadrimondal View Post
This implies the humming noise is not present while the car is stationary and the rpm is raced to 2000 rpm mark.
Hence you are sure of one thing, its not from the engine.

Jack up the car and try to rotate each wheel individually and look for any sound though I doubt its coming from that.
Did you switch off the AC or blower fan or both at these speeds and observe the same noise?

Lastly, switch off the car at the humming noise speed and see if the noise still there, if its still present, the noise would be mechanical. Please take utmost precaution in performing this step. I wouldn't do this step if I cannot see 500mtrs clean and empty in front of me.
Remember your brakes won't perform as usual with the car switched off.

On the safer side, take the car to the service station and have a word with someone senior to the service advisor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Wheel bearing busted?!! I could NOT relate this to anything else as you have already verified transmission etc. Wheel bearing problem starts as a humming noise and it gets louder as speed increases.

One easy way of identifying the problem is by jacking up the car, make the wheels free (in the air) and rotate the tyres with your hands. If it's a wheel bearing problem, you will hear the sound.
Thank you all for the quick replies. I had a word with Dad in the evening. I conveyed all the experiments suggested here by you all. He will be performing them in the next couple of days and get back.

He also told me the nature of the humming noise in detail:
  • It starts at 30 kmph and is audible up to 60 kmph. After 60 kmph the wind noise is more prominent.
  • It sounds like HmmmmmHmmmmm Hmmmmm....
  • As the vehicle speed is increased it varies like HmmmmmHmmmmmHmmmm HmmmmHmmmHmmmHmmm HmmHmmHmmHmHmHmHm
  • And the pattern repeats in reverse direction on decelerating HmHmHmHmHmm HmmHmmHmm HmmmHmmmHmmmm HmmmmHmmmmmHmmmmm

The service advisor has already taken a TD. He also put the vehicle in neutral while coasting in the 20-60 kmph band and the noise was still present. That day the tire pressure in all the wheels was haywire. So he adjusted it and asked my dad to check if it persists after leveling the pressure. It still is there.

Why do they all have these few illogical standard answers for all such problems:
  1. Sir, this is a european vehicle these things happen
  2. It is a heavy vehicle, not like Maruti
  3. This is a problem in all Dusters
  4. Sir, you have run so many kms and this is tire noise as the tire is getting old

Last edited by Rehaan : 13th March 2020 at 11:27. Reason: Old post, but editing it to fix a small problem with mobile page formatting :)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks