Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2013, 22:22   #3106
Team-BHP Support

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abh1nav View Post
Guys, I test drove the Duster 85 RXL (O) today and somehow, the in-cabin noise was more than the 110 RXL. Dealer said that since this a TD vehicle (10K ODO), it's been roughed up to the core. Also, the gear shift felt more harsh as compared to the 110 RXL. Again, told that the TD vehicle has been abused!
85 Clutch is supposed to much more smoother compared to 110. For 110 I have heard many comments that it needs quite some exercise on the part of the muscles. Cabin noise is pretty much the same I would say. Not much of a difference. But it becomes prominent only after you go beyond 100. Else its quite controlled.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2013, 10:47   #3107
BHPian

Quote:
So, I request HillMan and other 85PS Duster owners to comment on this?
Mine is around 4k on the odometer and I have not faced any niggles yet. Except one instance where the horn went dead. Turning the steering wheel all the way left then to right, fixed it.

My impression is that clutch travel on 85 is shorter than 110 and feels lighter. However the gear shift of 110 is smoother : )

I like the way 85 gear slots in with a click feel. There is no play.

The clutch is harder than XUV. We can't compare them with petrol cars.

You will quickly get used to it. I put the vehicle in neutral at signals and avoid half clutch rides.

For engine noise. Diesels are the nosier lot. Even high end cars have a good audible noise from outside. The cabin may have pin drop silence.

That said, the cabin insulation from outside world is just average in Duster.

The engine sound is lower in 85 for city use and gets dampened by traffic noise. That's because you don't need to rev much. I can agree the TD vehicle would have been abused a lot. I myself roughed up my TD on broken tar and bad pot holes.

Oh almost forgot. With windows down the engine noise is pretty loud in the cabin.

Last edited by HillMan : 16th October 2013 at 10:52.
HillMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2013, 11:36   #3108
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, I test drove the Duster 85 RXL (O) today and somehow, the in-cabin noise was more than the 110 RXL. Dealer said that since this a TD vehicle (10K ODO), it's been roughed up to the core. Also, the gear shift felt more harsh as compared to the 110 RXL. Again, told that the TD vehicle has been abused!

So, I request HillMan and other 85PS Duster owners to comment on this?
I own a 85PS since April. I have completed 10600 Kms. I test drove both 110 and 85 before buying.
I didnt feel any difference when it comes to gear shift or handling of the vehicle. Obvious difference i felt was 110 lag and hard clutch.

Coming to my 85 PS. It is a breeze to drive inside city. Clutch is much lighter compared to my 4 yr old diesel swift. Even the steering is lighter which is good for city but on highway i feel nervous at times in sharp turns at high speed.

Gear shift is notchy and sometimes 2nd and reverse gear are hard to shift. I prefer my SWIFT gear shift even now over duster. Even 110 gear shift should be notchy.

Wind noise is surely there beyond 100 and im sure even 110PS should have same issue the issue is to do with body design and has nothing to do with engine.

Cabin noise? Once after my new horn fix i started hearing engine noise inside the cabin. The guys who fixed the horn had displaced the rubber seal on the wiring hole between engine bay and dash. This will be right below the glove box. Once i sealed it back, no more noise. Actually i feel the cabin is super quiet for the segment(UV).

There will be rattles for sure. But no way closer to my swift. I got few and fixed them too.

Till date no issues with the vehicle except for the Ac knobs getting stuck, which renault is replacing mine.
kiranvakati is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2013, 12:10   #3109
BHPian

Fed up with current wiper blades of your duster?

Within a month or two I noticed that wipers of my duster were not cleaning the water properly, after the driver side wiper comes down I could see a fine hair like line of water left. Even though I clean my wipers every time I take my car out from any dust when I clean my windshield they have gone bad. When I went to ASS they told their is no guaranty on wipers and when I asked for the price of the wiper they told me out was around 850, then I thought of procuring wipers from the market after they told me they don't have stock for the wipers.

And then one fine day I bought Hella Dynaedge wipers from snapdeal for around 1150 and when they were delivered, I wanted to change the wipers on my own, initially I found some problem as how to remove the wipers but then with little hustle I was able to change it.

Here's an easy way to change it. The current wipers can be removed by pressing a spring backed clip and pulling them down.

Name:  ForumRunner_20131016_113409.png
Views: 4419
Size:  852.0 KB

After you pull them down and press the clip it will come out from the bottom,

Name:  ForumRunner_20131016_115714.png
Views: 4370
Size:  849.0 KB

Take the wipers out easily and then put the Dynaedge wipers after sliding them in the angular bracket and pull them down until you hear click noise to confirm that the wiper is fitted properly.

Name:  ForumRunner_20131016_113449.png
Views: 4534
Size:  760.0 KB

Lock the wiper and the task is done. This is how my Duster looks after both the wipers are fitted.

Name:  ForumRunner_20131016_113507.png
Views: 4411
Size:  798.1 KB

Thanks.
Attached Images

gurha is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th October 2013, 14:11   #3110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiranvakati View Post
There will be rattles for sure. But no way closer to my swift. I got few and fixed them too.

Till date no issues with the vehicle except for the Ac knobs getting stuck, which renault is replacing mine.
I read in one of the threads, the door rattle issue is also part of fix on complaint at A.S.S. They took a leaf from fellow TBhpians who came up with DIY solution with the door beading.
Old 16th October 2013, 15:32   #3111
BHPian

Potential Duster petrol buyer here; was wondering if there are any petrol owners here ? Since there was no test drive vehicle, I would like to go through some reviews.

Cheers
chetan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2013, 15:54   #3112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetan View Post
Potential Duster petrol buyer here; was wondering if there are any petrol owners here ? Since there was no test drive vehicle, I would like to go through some reviews.

Cheers
A friend of mine has recently bought a petrol Duster in Bangalore. He is very happy with the vehicle since his driving is just 10 kms a day. The engine feels very silent, powerful and smooth. I will be able to share a detailed review about mileage etc in 1-2 weeks since he has hardly driven the vehicle till now.
Old 16th October 2013, 16:45   #3113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

I think it may be AC unit only. The condenser pipe may be leaking at the attachment. Had it been the rear side, it could have been the fixture under the bonnet just below the windshield.
But yes, truly an unpleasant situation.
Well had similar situation were there was insane amount of rain when i was driving at low speeds with hazard lights on felt something wet on the my left foot on the clutch must have been the ac duct to the foot area condensing the moisture in the air
Old 16th October 2013, 22:08   #3114
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinvardhan View Post
Well had similar situation were there was insane amount of rain when i was driving at low speeds with hazard lights on felt something wet on the my left foot on the clutch must have been the ac duct to the foot area condensing the moisture in the air
Did you get this resolved/diagnosed? Was this traced to an open condenser pipe?
Old 16th October 2013, 22:18   #3115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

Did you get this resolved/diagnosed? Was this traced to an open condenser pipe?
No problem never occured again as i never faced such bad rain again
Old 18th October 2013, 00:26   #3116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
Mine is around 4k on the odometer and I have not faced any niggles yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiranvakati View Post
I own a 85PS since April. I have completed 10600 Kms.
Thank you so much for your inputs! I have been thinking a lot about which variant to get, either the 85 RXL (O) or the RXL 110 with dual airbags, and finally decided on the 85 RXL (O), since I'd be driving in peak Delhi traffic for the most part. Plus, won't have to spend extra money on aftermarket alloys and head units.

While this might not be encouraging, but a couple of my friends have been furious at me for settling on the duster,as they feel it's way too overpriced, especially compared to the Ecosport. It gets difficult at times to deal with people when they make such a comparison, but I'm getting used to it!

Currently in touch with 2 dealers and will go ahead with the one who offers the best deal.

Also, Renault seems to have launched an Anniversary edition Duster in Cosmos Blue color. There are no details at the moment, except this image which is seen on the landing page of Renault India's website http://renault.co.in/ .

Last edited by Abh1nav : 18th October 2013 at 00:53.
Old 18th October 2013, 00:43   #3117
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
While this might not be encouraging, but a couple of my friends have been furious at me for settling on the duster,as they feel it's way too overpriced, especially compared to the Ecosport. It gets difficult at times to deal with people when they make such a comparison, but I'm getting used to it!
In the end its your choice. What is your priority. The folks who scream at you (froends/relatives whomsoever etc) are not the ones who would be driving. Its you need to make the call.
85 is amazing car as per my experience. In just about a year I have driven more than 22K. In city its a pleasure to driv. Long highway cruises with 90-100 on the speedo are the easiest ones to date.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2013, 05:53   #3118
BHPian

Quote:
as ampere rightly said it should be you who should decide and not your friends.

Even I was in 2 minds when I booked duster. I'm not sure whether should I wait for ecosport. But I compared the 2 based on my requirements.

- I need a car for daily commute to office
- I go to my ancestral village(75kms from chennai) biweekly. I do carry heavy luggage at times so needed a big boot. Also good GC for village roads.
- I go to Blore every other month. I need a car which has good ride quality, big boot and should easily seat 3 ppl in the rear.

I was using a swift then. I liked Eco sport styling and i was sure it will be priced well below duster but i rejected It even before it released as I had puny boot for an SUV which didn't suit my requirement.

I'm happy with my choice. Recently I test drove Eco sport for my friend. I was shocked by the rear seat. It can accommodate only 2. 3rd guy has to squeeze in. my friend decided to buy punto.

If your requirement is equivalent to a hatch and only max 4 ppl traveling then you can go for Eco sport if you like the vehicle.

Duster on the other hand a bigger vehicle with superior ride quality and 1 Lakh costlier. disadvantage i see over Eco sport is that the cost and outer metal sheet is just 2mm thick, I presume Eco sport should be 3mm thickness. Even a kick might create a dent.

Buy based on your requirement and don't go buy current trend or just price factor alone.
kiranvakati is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2013, 09:16   #3119
BHPian

Quote:
Renault seems to have launched an Anniversary edition Duster in Cosmos Blue color. There are no details at the moment, except this image which is seen on the landing page of Renault India's website.
Hi the blue color had reached the dealership before it was announced in Renault India website. I have posted the pics in this same thread, check 2 or 3 page backward you can see it.
Old 18th October 2013, 10:42   #3120
BHPian

Renault Duster Anniversary Edition launched

Renault has launched Duster's Anniversary edition in cosmos blue color along with benefits of Rs 60,000, 2 years warranty, road side assistance etc.
No additional accessories or whatsoever.

Renault Duster : Official Review-renaultdusteranniversaryedition.jpg

Source
skyfire2892 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks