Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2013, 18:32   #2581
Senior - BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
-
- To certain extent, Duster can still hold its own, but surely premium hatches I20/Swift/Polo Diesel, Polo-TSI etc would get majorly impacted.
I think Duster will be seriously affected by Ecosport. Other than space, there is no advantage that the duster has compared to Ecosport. The space and boot of Ecosport is more practical for a regular office goer with small family who would go for an outstation trip once in a while. The premium charged by Duster is not justified, in my opinion.
Old 26th June 2013, 18:45   #2582
Senior - BHPian

I guess Duster sales will be dented considerably because of EcoSport. The Duster 85 seems overpriced as compared to the Ford offering, & is low on features too (except the space & beige interiors).

Moreover, Ford A.S.S. is much widespread as compared to Renault's, so Renault-Nissan have a tough task in hand & price correction is required soon.
Old 26th June 2013, 18:52   #2583
BHPian

Quote:
- They need a facelift for interiors
- Price correction esp. for the 85bhp versions
- Gadget wise, I think they are pretty much there. Navigation, BT, Aux In, Stereo controls etc.
- To certain extent, Duster can still hold its own, but surely premium hatches I20/Swift/Polo Diesel, Polo-TSI etc would get majorly impacted.
Agree with your points completely.

Quote:
- Another aspect is Duster still has a USP in terms of space. That still differentiates it against Ecosport. People who are looking for this aspect will not look at Ecosport. But they may get turned-off by quality of interiors if need for an SUV is not a strong function. (Power of cross segment shopping)
This is where I think a lot of buyers will pause. Is the 2-3 lakh difference between the Duster and EcoSport tenable, for just an extra 200-odd litres of boot space and the rare occasion that requires a 5th person in the back?

Having driven the Duster (and reading the official EcoSport review), the other plus point for the Duster would be the handling, where it still rules over most cars. But again, is it 2-3 lakhs greater than the EcoSport?

I think Renault should bring the Duster back to its original pricing, especially now that a year would have given them opportunity to increasing local sourcing as well. At a 1-2 lakh difference (between 85 and 110 versions) over the EcoSport, I think it might still make sense

PS - the video review above quotes GBP15000 for a top-end Dacia Duster with 4WD. Thats 14 lakhs on-road for a car with an useful 4WD system with locking differential (and true replacement for the Subaru Forester). Wonder what we are paying for in comparison in India for the same amount of money
Old 26th June 2013, 18:52   #2584
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
I think Duster will be seriously affected by Ecosport. Other than space, there is no advantage that the duster has compared to Ecosport. The space and boot of Ecosport is more practical for a regular office goer with small family who would go for an outstation trip once in a while. The premium charged by Duster is not justified, in my opinion.
I never said it will not get impacted. What I meant is it will still hold because there would be takers. As I said earlier, I had a Fusion which I gave up last year. In spite of the pricing today, I really doubt if I would go for an Ecosport. We checked the Jazz before going with the Duster and the family felt claustrophobic in spite of space and glass of the Jazz. May be that was the Fusion effect. But of course today's pricing of the Duster is pathetic. Since I got the top end at the introductory pricing, I was still OK with it. But surely in today's case, it a strict NO.

Another reality in India is many people buy SUV only the macho look rather than need. Such section of population would now diverted to the Ecosport hands down from the Duster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydave View Post

This is where I think a lot of buyers will pause. Is the 2-3 lakh difference between the Duster and EcoSport tenable, for just an extra 200-odd litres of boot space and the rare occasion that requires a 5th person in the back?
Very true. As I just mentioned current pricing is a strict NO.

Quote:
I think Renault should bring the Duster back to its original pricing, especially now that a year would have given them opportunity to increasing local sourcing as well. At a 1-2 lakh difference (between 85 and 110 versions) over the EcoSport, I think it might still make sense
The introductory pricing of Duster put the 85 bhp top end at 12.5 OTR BLR .And that too because of the pathetic pricing policy of Renault which made the Ex Showroom pricing in Bangalore just cross 10L.
Because of that many (including me) ended up paying 40K to the govt. If they can fix it, another 40-50K can come down. Which I think they SHOULD do.

Quote:
PS - the video review above quotes GBP15000 for a top-end Dacia Duster with 4WD. Thats 14 lakhs on-road for a car with an useful 4WD system with locking differential (and true replacement for the Subaru Forester). Wonder what we are paying for in comparison in India for the same amount of money
The 4WD is another thing which is bound to come to Duster and create a differentiation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Ampere,
With all due respect i feel that Duster finally has met its match. In the first place duster was over priced considering the poor interiors it had. Ford Ecosports seems to have ticked off a lot of boxes and looks very refreshing as well when compared to the dull lines of Duster. Ford has been in India for quite some time and they can leverage on their better reach.
+1. Its only because of such competition that we get good products.

Quote:
Space is the only place where duster seems to better Ecosports but then it will be the case of how many would want to travel in it all the time? Majority of the buyers would be like having nucleus family setups with the occasional parents visiting or keeping this as a secondary car when you already have a family car (innova).
I am not harping on space. Thats why I meant, many with nuclear families, would go with Ecosport. Else they would have bought a premium hatch. When its a second car, no questions asked people will buy Ecosport. But when its the first car, priorities do come in.

My 2 cents, if Duster does improve their interiors then it does stand a good chance with a 50K premium over Ecosports.[/quote]

Last edited by ampere : 26th June 2013 at 19:07.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2013, 22:58   #2585
BHPian

Well, I am big fan of Duster, hence I own one too. I had checked EcoSport when kept on display at the mall
and decided that Duster met all my requirement (except price).

Today I went to Ford to check out EcoSport for my friend. With the ex-showroom price, I could estimate that
the Diesel Titanium would be ~10.5 to 10.8 L on road.

I paid 13.65L for my 85PS(O) Duster. I am sure a 2.5L premium for Duster, is unfair pricing by Renault.
Clearly these are introductory prices. After normalization of prices, lets say the delta comes down to 1.5L.
Is that a fair one?

EcoSport does have some useful features over Duster too. Mind you, this is not me bashing Duster, but bashing
Renault.

Last edited by sumeshmani : 26th June 2013 at 23:03.
sumeshmani is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th June 2013, 23:00   #2586
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeshmani View Post
Well, I am big fan of Duster, hence I own one too. Today I went to Ford to check out
EcoSport for my friend.
With the ex-showroom price, I can estimate that the Diesel Titanium would be ~10.5 to 10.8 L on road. I paid 13.65L for my 85PS(O) Duster.
I am sure a 2.5L premium for Duster, is unfair pricing by Renault.
The facelift is already in pipeline. I am sure they would "rationalize the prices" as well along with the facelift.
Old 27th June 2013, 00:36   #2587
BHPian

I always felt given the product and its origins, Renault was way too ambitious with the Duster's pricing from day 1 by at least 50-75k. With the hikes it's nowhere near VFM.

The product owes to origin to building a bare basic vehicle and there is cost cutting all around, and it shows and feels it. In most other countries its priced well in the context of their markets, here the pricing is really a bit ridiculous now.

The TINA factor saved it so far but how will it do against a more modern looking, smashingly priced competitor, and more competitors to come?
raul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2013, 01:10   #2588
Senior - BHPian

Guys, after going through last few posts I just wonder how much hit the resale value of the Duster (and others) has taken on a single day.
Old 27th June 2013, 08:52   #2589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niv26 View Post
One question, about braking when engine stalled.

I hit this issue multiple times when going on steep ramp my engine stalled due to sudden stops/clutch issues(whatever) (I drive in stop and go traffic in Hyderabad/Jublihills/Krishna nagar areas if you are familiar), I see suddenly the loss of braking and the brake become really hard and Car start rolling back (due to steep). (the only way to stop this is to use hand brake)

I haven't seen this issue my previous Honda City(though there is loss of braking but I still could control).

This is very dangerous and alarming for Duster. Is this specific to Diesel engines?

Does anyone seen this issue and any suggestions.

Thanks.
This behaviour is due to the mechanical vacuum pump for the brake assist in Diesel engines and Turbo charged engines. For the Naturally aspirated petrol brake booster vacuum line is connected to the engine manifold which has very high vacuum in part throttle. If the engine stall in petrol it still has high negative side so you can use the brake effectively. In mechanically linked pump as th speed decreases vacuum created by the pump also reduces hence hard braking effort.
vijaycool is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2013, 09:11   #2590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydave View Post
Is the 2-3 lakh difference between the Duster and EcoSport tenable, for just an extra 200-odd litres of boot space and the rare occasion that requires a 5th person in the back?

Having driven the Duster (and reading the official EcoSport review), the other plus point for the Duster would be the handling, where it still rules over most cars. But again, is it 2-3 lakhs greater than the EcoSport?
The Duster has exactly 129 liters more of boot space. And the ecosport hands down has the better handling. Duster's ride is better than the ecosport. I did not find much difference in the legroom, but Duster is a bit more wider inside.
Old 27th June 2013, 09:31   #2591
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
I always felt given the product and its origins, Renault was way too ambitious with the Duster's pricing from day 1 by at least 50-75k. With the hikes it's nowhere near VFM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
Guys, after going through last few posts I just wonder how much hit the resale value of the Duster (and others) has taken on a single day.
I too was always of the opinion that the Duster was severely overpriced for what it offered. The success of the model has also gone to Renault's head. Hopefully with the EcoSport launch they'll come to their senses and realize that raising prices is not the way to go.
Old 27th June 2013, 09:34   #2592
BHPian

Dusters - Preparing for monsoons

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeshmani View Post
Well, I am big fan of Duster, hence I own one too..

I paid 13.65L for my 85PS(O) Duster. I am sure a 2.5L premium for Duster, is unfair pricing by Renault.
@Pricing -sumeshmani, you echoed my thoughts here!
Paying 13.65L for 85 RxL(O) Vs how rightly it fits my/our requirements is the key!
Competitive pricing always helps and so does some patience/study while buying a car.
(but then sometimes you can't wait for the purchase)

Slightly different topic I want to bring in -

How are you folks preparing for monsoons? (I mean -list of works, particularly for Duster?)
I guess new owners should be getting the Engine bay water-proofing done in the first service - INR 500~ IIRC. ( my first service would be by August mid - so thinking of preponing this activity - Does 3m do this at similar price? )
Apart from that - any pointers?

Particularly note - water logging / water wading esp. mumbai folks. Consider replace the carpet-mats with temp-rubber ones.

Cheers,

Ace.

Last edited by driverace : 27th June 2013 at 09:38.
Old 27th June 2013, 09:48   #2593
BHPian

Coming back to a query I had posted earlier. Has anyone tried to integrate simple LCD (for distance indication) to the OEM parking sensor. Any idea if this is even possible?

I feel that this visual indication will help more that the beeps.
Old 27th June 2013, 11:31   #2594
Senior - BHPian

Duster is a very capable car. But renault was greedy thanks to our craze which made this sell 5K every month. I have two of my close relatives who bought dusters in this month alone.

I am not against this car, but from day one i felt this is overpriced by a lakh or so and after repeated price corrections it was easily overpriced by 2 lakhs. Now a proof of that is EcoSport pricing(Expect a correction of 50K depending on our craze) but still way cheaper. Even if we bring the lower excise duty equation, Renault still cannot explain us where the extra 1 lakh is going

May be now the Nissan terrano has no option but to come with goodies and a price that is at least 50K cheaper than Duster.
Old 27th June 2013, 11:46   #2595
BHPian

I always felt that the Duster is a little overpriced, forcing me to go for another slightly overpriced City :-), but is of better quality.

My BIL owns a Duster, and the ride quality/confort is good, but the seating comfort is not good. I did not feel comfortable sitting in a Duster, when compared to City.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks