Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2013, 14:43   #2536
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydave View Post
So finally decided to go with the month old stock Duster. With just 17 kms on the odor, and a good PDI and a friend of a friend dealer, think I can be confident about the car.

Any views on must do upgrades for the stock Duster. What's the recommended horn, light replacement currently? Thanks
My priorities were 1. Front speakers; chose JBL and 2. Floor mats; chose 3M Nomad

Yes, leather seats would have been nicer. Then having stretched beyond 14 L already, decided to defer that.

Cheers
Old 17th June 2013, 15:14   #2537
Team-BHP Support

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxeloquent View Post
My priorities were 1. Front speakers; chose JBL and 2. Floor mats; chose 3M Nomad
+1. If with JBL you get five and quarter sized speaker, which can be directly replace the stock. If one needs Infinity, minimum size is >6 inches.
Old 17th June 2013, 16:53   #2538
BHPian

Hello to all (fellow) Duster folks!
Can some long termer or new owner please comment on MID FE 'correctness' in first 2000 kms? (particularly for 85PS version)

We received delivery of our Duster ( at my fiance's place this monday! )

@ PDI our Duster was 74 kms run (gone for registration & back)
@ Delivery we had 75kms on board
Till Yesterday it was driven a total of 160 kms - by my fiance.
( OT - she is an excellent proven driver with 6+years experience of driving her trusty Estilo )
MID FE showed 9.8 KMPL then.
I drove it for the first time yesterday till it read 188 kms
MID FE was then at like 10.1 kms.

I do understand that the 70kms might have been driven really really badly ( by the showroom/other folks ), but the following 118kms has been driven by sticking to the manual recommendation of <=2500 rpm in each gear (with A/C running 100% time)

I see, all 85PS folks are in the league of 16-19 kmpl, but just wanted to be sure about what figures are reflected in the first few hundreds on the ODO.

Should I be resetting the MID now?

Thanks,

Ace.

Last edited by driverace : 17th June 2013 at 17:01.
Old 17th June 2013, 18:19   #2539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post
Hello to all (fellow) Duster folks!
Can some long termer or new owner please comment on MID FE 'correctness' in first 2000 kms? (particularly for 85PS version)

Should I be resetting the MID now?

Thanks,

Ace.
You should reset the MID and take fresh readings. I am getting 17 KMPL in city driving with AC on (85)

Rohit
engrohit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2013, 19:05   #2540
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I see, all 85PS folks are in the league of 16-19 kmpl, but just wanted to be sure about what figures are reflected in the first few hundreds on the ODO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by engrohit View Post
You should reset the MID and take fresh readings. I am getting 17 KMPL in city driving with AC on (85)
+1 Thats pretty much I have been seeing since day 1. Pretty consistent. Same method to fill (autostop) and at same bunk.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2013, 19:15   #2541
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
...If one needs Infinity, minimum size is >6 inches.
Infinity offers a 5.25" Kappa which I have dropped in. Excellent quality, but a little pricey.
Old 17th June 2013, 19:31   #2542
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdman View Post
Infinity offers a 5.25" Kappa which I have dropped in. Excellent quality, but a little pricey.
Thats news to me ! When I checked for it last year the authorised dealer said Infinity Primus component only started with 6.5 and less. Not sure if it came like that or, he did not have five and quarter in stock. But as you said excellent sound quality.
Old 17th June 2013, 20:08   #2543
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
Can those who have driven in ghats / mountains please comment on the turbo lag and the gearing, especially at hairpin bends, etc comparing the 85ps with the 110ps? Which one would be preferred?

I like the FE of the 85, but will miss the driver's seat height adjustment and the additional A/C for the rear that are available in the 110 PS. Am also concerned that with the 85ps fully loaded, driving in ghats may be a problem due to lack of power. Can owners please share their experiences?

Worried about snkjr's post (#2462 on page 165) about how fragile the front-end is, the end with the highest probability of getting bumped.
I drove on a few hilly areas near coorg and madikere...especially the route to TaalKaveri. The 110's power is pretty good to pull on steep hairpins from a standstill. I would suggest pulling it only on the first gear if you are starting from a standstill. There was some shifting I had to do between 2&3 as for steep climbs and these are the right gears for climbs. Sometimes because of my petrol habits, I was trying to go upto 4, but had to come back to 2-3 as the turbo had to kick in. It was in no means an inconvenience, as the power is adequate on these gears, only that I was trying to be economical. While moving, the 2 nd gear is the best to tackle a steep hairpin, as you might have to downshift from 3rd. While coming down, the third seemed to be the gear of choice. Descending on the 4 th in the 110, was resulting in pretty fast speeds

Also continuing from my previous post on my trip experiences, a few more things
- armrest was missed. I also wondered if the aftermarket armrest, if any, can be , mounted upon the central blower
- during a refill at a petrol station, I forgot to take out the ignition key, and the full fuel tank did not reflect when I started again. I tried to fiddle around, but could not figure out a way. However after a stop for breakfast, it showed a full tank.
- the following issue might be related to the previous point as the topped up tank was not registered. The distance to empty meter was showing 100 km, when the fuel light came on and all trip meters started showing blank (distance to empty, liters consumed etc). Had a few anxious KMs as, according to my cal there should have been at least 6 ltrs in the tank.
- also the single beading is not an issue for the dust
- and repeating the AC bit...hot areas will need a 2 nd blower. I doubt if the 85s single blower, or as for that matter the 110's front blowers alone can effectively cool.

Last edited by amitdan : 17th June 2013 at 20:12.
amitdan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2013, 20:48   #2544
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
Can those who have driven in ghats / mountains please comment on the turbo lag and the gearing, especially at hairpin bends, etc comparing the 85ps with the 110ps?
On my drive through Idukki and Munnar (up to 1,500mts) the 110 pulled through with flying colours. Hairpins were usually in 2nd gear I had decent corner entry speed.Once in a while I would get stuck behind a lower vehicle and would have to shift up to 1st. That was a pain.

Quote:
Thats news to me ! When I checked for it last year the authorised dealer said Infinity Primus component only started with 6.5 and less. Not sure if it came like that or, he did not have five and quarter in stock. But as you said excellent sound quality.
the stuff I got might have been old stock. But, they are Infinity Kappa 5.25" Coaxial (not component). Lot's of dealers who don't have what you want in stock usually try to sell you something they do have. You may trying contacting Harman directly here in Bangalore 18001081234
bdman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2013, 21:41   #2545
BHPian

Quote:
+1 Thats pretty much I have been seeing since day 1. Pretty consistent. Same method to fill (autostop) and at same bunk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by engrohit View Post

Rohit
Thank you folks for the quick feed.
I was waiting for a full tank up.
did that - and set the tire pressures to 30 each.
(it was just 29 before- so tire pressure was ok)
Now trip has been reset.

will report the FE on MID in a day or two.

Cheers,

Ace.
Old 18th June 2013, 14:09   #2546
BHPian

Found a nice Video review of Duster.
These guys have nice footages as part of their reviews in their collection (check out their channel!)
Any BHPian part of this group?

Old 18th June 2013, 15:10   #2547
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdman View Post
Where did you get it installed and please share the cost details if you don't mind.
Old 18th June 2013, 20:01   #2548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeshmani View Post
Where did you get it installed and please share the cost details if you don't mind.
I installed it myself. It's fairly easy. However, there are a couple of challenges:

1. In order to detach the speaker, you will need a Torx screwdriver.
2. the original wires are quite short and come with a harness that plugs on the OEM speakers. The harness will not fit most after-market speakers. So, you are left with 2 choices:
a. cut the harness off and attach an extension wire by taping or
b. just push the stripped extension wire ends that are attached to your new speaker into the harness holes and tape it up.

MRP is Rs. 9,790 but they can be gotten for Rs5,990 a pair online.

Last edited by bdman : 18th June 2013 at 20:05. Reason: Added cost details
bdman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2013, 08:52   #2549
BHPian

Quote:

will report the FE on MID in a day or two.

Cheers,

Ace.
Hi Ace,

Typically the MID will show very low FE if the vehicle kept in idle for a long time. Hope your reset would have set "smile" on your face. Moreover , FE will increase after 5K for most of the cases.
ssmani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2013, 09:14   #2550
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmani View Post
Hi Ace,

Typically the MID will show very low FE if the vehicle kept in idle for a long time. Hope your reset would have set "smile" on your face. Moreover , FE will increase after 5K for most of the cases.

Thanks for giving me some positivity!

I still have 2 things to do before I get worried:
1. Clean Air filter.
2. Report to Service Station.

But, even before that - what you say about idling, gives some clarity on cause for low FE display.

She(my soon-to-be-better-half) indeed keeps the car on idle - as the car goes around for shopping/ short errands, and someone has to wait in car (with A/c ON - since it's raining, windows can't be left open)
For now I am trying to tell her to drive ( as explained by me in the visit to Mumbai -the day before ).
Let's see how it does for next couple of hundred kms.

The trip was reset yesterday - and car was driven around in /horrible/ puddled roads for ~10 kms. MID shows 12.2 kmpl already. with gear 2-3 driving around in stop-go conditions.

Thank you for sharing your experience!

Thanks,

Ace.

P.S. I am not really OVERLY concerned about FE otherwise, but for sure - I can be at peace about performance of our dear Duster in the long run - if it's efficiency now is at par with the median of other 85PS Dusters.
I am taking it just as a measure to make sure - it's a machine with good tolerances.

Last edited by driverace : 19th June 2013 at 09:18.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks