Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2013, 21:58   #2521
BHPian

Hi guys,

How does the duster hold up as it ages ? Maybe some of the "older" duster users can comment ? Any rattles, does the cheap looking dashboard plastic hold well? Do panel gaps start showing up ?
Old 16th June 2013, 00:06   #2522
Team-BHP Support

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharninder View Post
Hi guys,

How does the duster hold up as it ages ? Maybe some of the "older" duster users can comment ? Any rattles, does the cheap looking dashboard plastic hold well? Do panel gaps start showing up ?
Holds reasonably well. Just give that extra care, like what you provide for other things, it should serve you well.

Any reasons? First thoughts of why Ecosport and why not a Duster?
Old 16th June 2013, 07:19   #2523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Holds reasonably well. Just give that extra care, like what you provide for other things, it should serve you well.

Any reasons? First thoughts of why Ecosport and why not a Duster?
Well, this is going to be a little OT.

I've been looking for the "perfect" upgrade from my Palio 1.6 for some time now. I don't need a lot of space by I value a good drive and so the Ecosport seemed like a good choice.

Considering how plain jane the Palio is, I also want some creature comforts in my next drive, some technology to keep me entertained, which is why the Ecospor semeed like a logical drive.

I don't change my cars too often and intend to keep the next one for about 6-7 years atleast, maybe more. The Duster's interiors don't inspire that sort of confidence. My Palio is almost 7 years old now but the interiors seem almost new even now.

Now, with rumors that the top end Ecosport might end up costing around 12lakh OTR, I've started looking across segments too. For example, the Duster (since most owners seem happy with it so far), the Laura (with the current discounts will still be around 14lakhs OTR but I might be able to stretch), Elantra (for the same reasons as the Laura) and the XUV.

Like I said, my requirements at this point are a good drive and some technological comforts such as bluetooth audio and ACC.
Old 16th June 2013, 08:51   #2524
BHPian

Quote:

I don't change my cars too often and intend to keep the next one for about 6-7 years atleast, maybe more.

Like I said, my requirements at this point are a good drive and some technological comforts such as bluetooth audio and ACC.
Since you are going to keep your vehicle for 6-7 years, better to spend sometime to explore all the options and make "Decision Analysis". If you collect data, you will know the facts, then take test drive of candidate vehicles. Then, buy the vehicle, you wont get disappointed later. When, I bought my (last) vehicle, I took nearly 6 times test drive in all situations, rainy day, night, morning evening, inside city, on high-way, with family and without family (my wife did not have that patience to accompany to all of my test drive!!!) etc. I had visited 3 different show rooms to do so.
Old 16th June 2013, 10:52   #2525
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I don't change my cars too often and intend to keep the next one for about 6-7 years atleast, maybe more. The Duster's interiors don't inspire that sort of confidence. My Palio is almost 7 years old now but the interiors seem almost new even now.
So do I. Its good to hold a car at least 7-8 years. The idea is to hold at least 7-8 years or a max of a lakh km or a tad more at the minimum. My previous car just did about that. With the current one, the odo rate is going way higher than that. I would be easily in the range of 16-20K per year. With that rate it would easily touch lakh in around 5-6 years. But I think Duster should hold if cared well. On gadgets; except for ACC, rest are present. Integrated HU, BT etc.
Old 16th June 2013, 12:25   #2526
BHPian

Single door beading was a big issue from user angle in Toyota Etios as it would allow a lot of dust to settle in the door area. Duster also looks to have the same arrangement. I would appreciate Duster owners experience if shared.

Is absence of Dead pedal bothering Duster users a lot? Thanks in advance..
Old 16th June 2013, 22:31   #2527
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seran Manian View Post
Did not bother me one bit on my 14 hour drive recently. Since the driver sits higher up than most cars, I could just rest my left foot on the floor like I was sitting in a chair. Note: I do long drives with shoes off. And I didn't find the clutch on the 110 too hard either, I could operate it with my big toe.
Old 17th June 2013, 07:43   #2528
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seran Manian View Post
Single door beading was a big issue from user angle in Toyota Etios as it would allow a lot of dust to settle in the door area. Duster also looks to have the same arrangement. I would appreciate Duster owners experience if shared.
I am not aware of the dust issue on Etios. It does not effect much on the Duster though; as per what I have seen. Agreed that a door beading would have been better. Because if the beading is on the panel, its subjected to abuse due to people crushing it down while getting in/out.

A bit of a care there helps. Agreed its not too amenable to abuse, esp given the fact, that it is supposed to have a go anywhere attitude (well almost!)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdman View Post
Did not bother me one bit on my 14 hour drive recently. Since the driver sits higher up than most cars, I could just rest my left foot on the floor like I was sitting in a chair. Note: I do long drives with shoes off. And I didn't find the clutch on the 110 too hard either, I could operate it with my big toe.
Lack of dead pedal has not bothered me too. I think the key is to find the right driving position in terms of seating distance from the wheel. Once there with a good foot position on the pedals, lack of dead pedal can be tackled to a reasonably good extent. (May be its too long a shot, but works for me)
Old 17th June 2013, 07:56   #2529
BHPian

Thanks Ampere and bdman, for your response. There was a big uproar about Etios having a single beading arrangement in Door instead of the normal arrangement of 1 beading in door and one in the body (Toyota solved many other issues and left this out in thier revamped one).

I was a bit concerned that if this could be the reason behind water ingress issues in Duster reported earlier in Team BHP. Please correct me if I am wrong
Old 17th June 2013, 08:28   #2530
BHPian

Can those who have driven in ghats / mountains please comment on the turbo lag and the gearing, especially at hairpin bends, etc comparing the 85ps with the 110ps? Which one would be preferred?

I like the FE of the 85, but will miss the driver's seat height adjustment and the additional A/C for the rear that are available in the 110 PS. Am also concerned that with the 85ps fully loaded, driving in ghats may be a problem due to lack of power. Can owners please share their experiences?

Worried about snkjr's post (#2462 on page 165) about how fragile the front-end is, the end with the highest probability of getting bumped.
Old 17th June 2013, 09:53   #2531
BHPian

Hi all
Slightly OT. I am planning to upgrade my ride from a Fusion to a slightly bigger vehicle. The idea is for a little bit more of living space and boot space, not necessary to carry 7 people. What i am looking for is a vehicle which has road presence, can be pushed during highway driving, has good driving comfort and drivability
The vehicle also should have good after sales service and should be around the 15L margin. I dont think i can push beyond 15L.
I had shortlisted the following and would like your opinions on the same

Renault Duster - 110PS - the 85ps seems to become tired in highways. Please correct me if i am wrong here. I dont mind relooking at that
Safari Storme - The only thing that worries me is the Tata build quality and the price tag.
Ford Ecosport - this might just vanish since it looks to me that the vehicle has a pathetic boot space for a mini SUV

These are the only 3 in contention, unless someone offers a 2010 Endevour or a Captiva at about 12lacs

Thanks in advance
Old 17th June 2013, 11:59   #2532
BHPian

So finally decided to go with the month old stock Duster. With just 17 kms on the odor, and a good PDI and a friend of a friend dealer, think I can be confident about the car.

Any views on must do upgrades for the stock Duster. What's the recommended horn, light replacement currently? Thanks
Old 17th June 2013, 12:45   #2533
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydave View Post
Any views on must do upgrades for the stock Duster. What's the recommended horn, light replacement currently? Thanks
Update the speakers. A good set like infinity would do wonders to the music quality. The stock HU is good.

The other thing you can spend money on is leather, if you are interested. Apart from increasing interior quality, your seats also become a bit more firm, thus giving good seating for driving.
Old 17th June 2013, 13:01   #2534
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

Update the speakers. A good set like infinity would do wonders to the music quality. The stock HU is good.

The other thing you can spend money on is leather, if you are interested. Apart from increasing interior quality, your seats also become a bit more firm, thus giving good seating for driving.
Speakers are definitely on the agenda. On leather, the dealer is offering me an official leather + blinker ovrm pack for 18k, which I'm going with. It's exactly like the leather on the option packs, which is fine with me. Stanley is too rich for my taste!

No need for horn/light upgrades?
Old 17th June 2013, 13:33   #2535
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydave View Post
Stanley is too rich for my taste!
Bangalore has Karlsson, which is about 40% cheaper and gives very good value for money compared to Stanley. Not sure about his presence in Delhi.

Quote:
No need for horn/light upgrades?
I am still with stock. Compared to my previous car, the stock lights are still better with double barrel headlamps. Horns were on cards, but till now sticking to stock.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks