Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2013, 10:04   #2176
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Rigid Rotor and himadrimondal, thank you for the responses.

himadri, if I may ask a couple of follow up questions:

a) Have you gone / do you go to places that typical require a 4WD vehicle?

b) Have you ever felt the lack of 4WD in the Duster?

One comment I'd like to make, no offence, is that in the last part of the video above, it rains heavily and there appears to be fog. It also appears the headlights are on main beam. Fog will reflect light back, and visibilitiy may be better if you switch from main beam to dipped setting.
Old 22nd March 2013, 11:19   #2177
BHPian

As part of an off-roading group tour, I recently took my 110ps Duster offroad through slush, gravel roads and potholed tracks. Other vehicles were mostly four wheel drive with the exception of an Endeavour. The Duster did not get stuck once. The good ground clearance combined with front wheel drive saw it through all the tracks where the 4x4 vehicles went. If you're considering touring, look no further, 4x4 will only be require in extreme conditions, that too when you go looking for them.

Other Duster positives shone through the trip- stability at high speed, ride quality and fuel efficiency. Consider this- whilst the Scorpios, Thars and others that went along for the 600km (or so) trip needed a refill on the way back, the Duster had fuel to spare after I got back with just one tankfull at the start of the journey!
ashnd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2013, 16:58   #2178
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

From all the reports:

The Duster seems to be the best combination of the attributes:
Reliable,
Cost Effective to Run - Effecient Diesel
Reasonably cost effective to Buy
Drives like an average Sedan
Drives like an average SUV and can take bad roads well
Looks quite big but actually has quite a small footprint
Medium on the Inside - Medium on the outside. Just about right. Cannot really bully other vehicles but will not be easily bullied either.

Ticks all the right boxes for most people.
Better ASS network and centres would help as also a longer feature list.
ACM is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2013, 21:18   #2179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by werfish View Post
I notice it when the vehicle needs to move from zero right next to a huge road hump.It gets switched off in 1st gear and then i need to use heavy acceleration to come out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Yours is a 110? That's the turbo lag playing it's game. Please do revv & build your rpm a bit to get out of such situations.
Nope - That's definitely NOT the turbo-lag - not at all. Werfish - get the air filter & fuel filters checked / cleaned and show it to the service center. The 110 has a very clean and strong pull in 1st. There is a large spacing between the 1st & 2nd gears. On a perfectly level road (and an empty stretch of course), the vehicle should be able to move without stalling in 2nd as well as 1st gears without any throttle input. There is a fairly large and discernible difference in speeds in 1st & 2nd - which is an indicator of the gap in gear ratios.

Quote:
Originally Posted by himadrimondal View Post
Hello Rigid Rotor, fantastic update on the rattle issue, will surely have a look at mine too...
I have taken my Duster through quiet an amount of slush but never felt lack of any traction.
The first gear has massive pull, umpteen number of times I have got stuck on the middle of a steep slope....Just release the handbrakes as you disengage the clutch, the car climbs like a charm, with full load
Thanks, Himadri! Great pics there as usual - you really are our inspiration to try the rough stuff in the Duster!

I agree with you absolutely regarding the 1st gear capability.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
From all the reports:

The Duster seems to be the best combination of the attributes...Ticks all the right boxes for most people.
Better ASS network and centres would help as also a longer feature list.
Spot on, ACM!
I guess, we need to wait for about 1 1/2 to 2 years to see how it all settles in - the vehicle, the A*S*S and the network.
Old 22nd March 2013, 21:39   #2180
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigid Rotor View Post
Spot on, ACM!
I guess, we need to wait for about 1 1/2 to 2 years to see how it all settles in - the vehicle, the A*S*S and the network.
The engine will hold without any issues! Its the body which we need to see.
I guess all it needs is a bit of care while handling the controls, and I think it should hold on nicely !
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2013, 23:00   #2181

As an owner of 85 Ps, I feel Duster does makes you a bit under confidant if you have to brake on a steep slope espicially with a turn. The 1st gear does have a long gap as pointed out by rigid rotor and it helps if you get stuck in a slope.
I really admire (and envy) the risk Himadri has taken with his duster. Wish him many more adventurous rides ahead.

And hey ashnd, i actually did a 700 Km trip without a top up and my tank was still not up to the brim. I actually have an running average of 21.4 kms since bought my dusty home. Its only been 1500 kms though.
Old 23rd March 2013, 10:42   #2182
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phukan View Post
As an owner of 85 Ps, I feel Duster does makes you a bit under confidant if you have to brake on a steep slope espicially with a turn. The 1st gear does have a long gap as pointed out by rigid rotor and it helps if you get stuck in a slope.
I really admire (and envy) the risk Himadri has taken with his duster. Wish him many more adventurous rides ahead.

Check Rigid Motors post (a few posts above) on brake bleeding

And also see Himadri's post on brake bleeding

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3042096
Old 23rd March 2013, 17:13   #2183

Just struck me that I have absolutely no documents that state warranty conditions / validity for my vehicle. There also seems to be a confusion about the warranty period. I remember that the dealer mentioned a 2+2 warranty.

Renault's database at one of their service locations reflected a 2 year period against my VIN.

Did any of you get a warranty certificate ? And what period does it reflect ?
Old 23rd March 2013, 18:04   #2184
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG10 View Post
Yes its 2+2 or 80K. You should get your extended warranty statement from the dealer.
The VIN of your vehicle should be indicated in the document.

Last edited by ampere : 23rd March 2013 at 18:11.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2013, 18:20   #2185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG10 View Post
My dealer at Chennai (Khivraj) handed over a certificate (Renault's official) to while delivering the car. Please ask your dealer otherwise call Renault customer care.
Old 24th March 2013, 01:57   #2186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
himadri, if I may ask a couple of follow up questions:
a) Have you gone / do you go to places that typical require a 4WD vehicle?
b) Have you ever felt the lack of 4WD in the Duster?
One comment I'd like to make, no offence, is that in the last part of the video above, it rains heavily and there appears to be fog. It also appears the headlights are on main beam. Fog will reflect light back, and visibilitiy may be better if you switch from main beam to dipped setting.
To the first question, yes. I do go places that may require 4WD or to put it the other way around,
4WD would have been given me that extra bit of confidence. But with God's grace, I have not got stuck yet.
On the contrary, once got stuck in Kolkata, on a field of Fort William's compound where I had parked my Safari(now sold) on wet but solid hard ground.

I guess the key to Duster's ability to do quiet some off roading is the FWD.
The load of the engine prevents the tyres from spinning, giving it enough traction to push ahead.

Regarding the high beam during heavy fog, I thought, more the better. In fact had all 6 lights on. Will surely try out your suggestion next monsoon.

Thanks Rigid Rotor, Phukan and Ampere for the comments.
Old 24th March 2013, 19:21   #2187
BHPian

This just keeps getting worse...
Is anyone facing a problem with the front passenger side door opener(outside) ??!
Old 24th March 2013, 20:19   #2188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
This just keeps getting worse...
Is anyone facing a problem with the front passenger side door opener(outside) ??!
Please elaborate what kind of problem you are facing with the door opener.

Came back from 2700 Kms trip to one of the most extreme places in India.
Duster performed superbly.
Will post pictures later.

Last edited by h.s.r : 24th March 2013 at 20:21.
h.s.r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2013, 20:50   #2189
BHPian

Thanks for the reply, himadrimondal.

h.s.r, looking forward not only to the pics but enough detail about how the Duster performed under various conditions!
Old 25th March 2013, 07:11   #2190
BHPian

A quick question; my Duster Supreme White 110 Diesel RxZ is 3 months old; while I got the under carriage 3M coating done, I was told no Teflon coating can be done for Duster.... from my experience of my previous car Verna, Teflon coating made cleaning that much easier. Even a few swipes with California car duster was good enough. What kind of exterior paint protection is feasible, desirable for Duster? I'll much appreciate any suggestions. Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks