Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2012, 14:27   #1561
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by suchit23 View Post
ABS is available on the second variant as an option pack which will set you back by 1 lakh. Its called RXL(O) and happens to be the most popular variant.

Rxl Option pack includes ABS, Front two Airbags, Alloy wheels, Reverse sensors.

IMO its better to go for this particular model rather than the RXZ 110 where you get only the sixth gear plus the rear AC which is quirk, the 85 bhp can be tweaked to 110bhp using a ECU adjustment which is also better to drive inside the city with less turbolag than the 110.
Old 29th November 2012, 15:38   #1562
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyaprakash View Post
Rxl Option pack includes ABS, Front two Airbags, Alloy wheels, Reverse sensors.

IMO its better to go for this particular model rather than the RXZ 110 where you get only the sixth gear plus the rear AC which is quirk, the 85 bhp can be tweaked to 110bhp using a ECU adjustment which is also better to drive inside the city with less turbolag than the 110.
I think this has been discussed before. The ecu tweaking may not work

The 85 bhp engine block can only handle 200nm of torque, so Renault had to redesign and strengthen it along with other engine components including the 6 speed gearbox to handle the extra 25 bhp and 240nm of torque. The 110bhp variant has got a VGT, stronger crank, stronger rods and pistons to handle the extra power.

Is there not a 110bhp RXL variant with option pack, Neil has this version I think. That would solve the problem.

Last edited by raul : 29th November 2012 at 15:41.
Old 29th November 2012, 16:15   #1563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
Is there not a 110bhp RXL variant with option pack, Neil has this version I think. That would solve the problem.
Neil has what I have and I am sure I dont have airbags Nitinz is the man who has the 110 RXL(O), which I might as well add, was discontinued as quickly as it was made available.
Old 29th November 2012, 18:39   #1564
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Neil has what I have and I am sure I dont have airbags Nitinz is the man who has the 110 RXL(O), which I might as well add, was discontinued as quickly as it was made available.
That is correct. The 110 RXL(O) was never even offered in the open line-up. When Nitinz mentioned that he got a 110 RXL (O), lot many were surprised about that version being there in the first place!
Old 29th November 2012, 18:49   #1565
BHPian

Quote:
Ok, that's a pity , for those who want the 110BHP, and do not like the rear ac contraption, that was the best option. And at 50k less than the RXZ!

I think Renault really has made this needlessly complicated.

RXL 85 - No ABS, NoAirbags - Rs 930,000 ex-showroom so around 11.30 OTR
RXL 85 (O) - ABS + Airbags - Rs 1,030,000 so around 12.30 OTR
RXL 110 - ABS but no Airbags - 1,030,000 so around 12.30 OTR
RXZ 110 - ABS + Airbags - 1,130,000 so around 13.30 OTR
raul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2012, 20:52   #1566
Senior - BHPian

What about the RXE variant ? Is that discontinued ?
Old 29th November 2012, 21:43   #1567
gemi_kk

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
What about the RXE variant ? Is that discontinued ?
Yes, i am back with the answer. Maybe i am the only one who is willing to pick this RXE variant if given an offer as of now.

Regarding RXE, this model has been discontinued, according to those Greedy dealers. From Renault side, this model exists, however only couple of RXE's are made for every 100. So as a prospective buyer, i could get an RXE, after 6 months.

I tried giving them a cheque, tried even giving 50K or more cash in hand. BUT the dealers are not taking booking amount for this Model.

Old 29th November 2012, 22:01   #1568
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
I think this has been discussed before. The ecu tweaking may not work

The 85 bhp engine block can only handle 200nm of torque, so Renault had to redesign and strengthen it along with other engine components including the 6 speed gearbox to handle the extra 25 bhp and 240nm of torque. The 110bhp variant has got a VGT, stronger crank, stronger rods and pistons to handle the extra power.

Apart from FGT to VGT and 5 gears to 6 gears I don't think there is any mechanical change between the two variants in regard to 85 and 110bhp.

Friends can anyone of you through light on this and confirm the engine change? because i seriously doubt the above statement as i have spoken personally with the mechanics of Renault who say both have same engines except about the torque.

Last edited by sathyaprakash : 29th November 2012 at 22:07.
Old 29th November 2012, 22:46   #1569
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul
...The 85 bhp engine block can only handle 200nm of torque, so Renault had to redesign and strengthen it along with other engine components including the 6 speed gearbox to handle the extra 25 bhp and 240nm of torque. The 110bhp variant has got a VGT, stronger crank, stronger rods and pistons to handle the extra power....
So a diesel tuning box on either of these variants is a bad idea? From your posts, looks like the car is best run stock?

On the other hand every mechanical is mostly tuned down for longer life right? If this theory is right, then why did Renault tune the engines to the maximum output? Kind of contradicts!
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2012, 23:00   #1570
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
So a diesel tuning box on either of these variants is a bad idea? From your posts, looks like the car is best run stock?

On the other hand every mechanical is mostly tuned down for longer life right? If this theory is right, then why did Renault tune the engines to the maximum output? Kind of contradicts!
Yes, an engine will never be on a threshold. I am not sure of source, but unless the news of a different block, etc. are confirmed by Renault, atleast I wont believe it.
Usually, manufacturers tune engines to 50-60% of their limit. Renault will never use any engine on or near its limit. No manufacturer would do that.
And regarding different engines, IMO, the engine is essentially the same, except for a few minor changes.
Otherwise the cost advantage will be ruined. Already, the 110 bhp avatar was there in Fluence ( I know its not exactly 110 but lets consider it above 100bhp ) so I doubt if there is any significant change.

K9K engine is available in Micra, Pulse, Sunny, Scala, Evalia, Fluence, Duster ( did I miss any other vehicle ? ). It essentially remains the same to the best of my understanding.
Do correct me if I am wrong, but except Renault's official word, its difficult to digest that an 85bhp engine wont be safe at 110bhp.
aaggoswami is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th November 2012, 23:06   #1571
BANNED

Just saw the Autocar Show.

Hormazd Sorabjee (Autocar Editor) gives a fresh scoop on Duster. He said
Renault India is working to get the Duster 4x4 and quick to rival the upcoming EcoSport and others.
Sadly, There are no plans for an AutoMatic as of yet
agambhandari is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th November 2012, 23:28   #1572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyaprakash View Post
Apart from FGT to VGT and 5 gears to 6 gears I don't think there is any mechanical change between the two variants in regard to 85 and 110bhp.

Friends can anyone of you through light on this and confirm the engine change? because i seriously doubt the above statement as i have spoken personally with the mechanics of Renault who say both have same engines except about the torque.
Yes like I mentioned it is strengthened, stronger cranks, rods and pistons. Injectors also may be different

http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=84312

I had some links for in-depth info on the K9K variants and there are many, may have posted earlier, will find and repost.

Last edited by raul : 29th November 2012 at 23:35.
Old 30th November 2012, 00:42   #1573
BHPian

So Renault is already bringing in the ESP to the Duster in Russia, even though it was launched just 3 months earlier than India. I wonder why manufacturers treat India like this? I mean its understandable if they treat countries like US and Euro-5 better because they are far more developed and expectations are high, spending power is more. But Russia not India? If I am not mistaken Russia already had the 4X4 version with the 2.0L engine.

http://eng.autostat.ru/news/view/7264/
Old 30th November 2012, 01:11   #1574
BHPian

Suchit - ESP is available in all Dusters and has been for some time, its been discussed on this forum endlessly. Even the ones made here for UK support ESP. Its available as a 300 pounds option - see the dacia uk website.

Its been available in Romania, Russia, France, Germany etc. They also get rear disk brakes as opposed to drums for us. Infact EU regulations will require ESP from March next year if I am not mistaken.

This was a big irritant for me, especially since in the ELK test available on youtube the 4x4 variant with ESP does noticeably better.

What I understand and this is not confirmed information is not all engine variants support ESP, only the latest ones which support DPF also seem to support ESP, and our variants do not support DPF.

It's another silly cost cutting move, if we can pay more than all other regions for our Dusters surely we can pay the 300 quid extra for something as important as ESP.

Last edited by raul : 30th November 2012 at 01:15.
raul is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th November 2012, 04:08   #1575
Senior - BHPian

Great scoop that the Duster 4x4 will finally make it here then!

I wish they had brought it in at the outset itself along with all the safety kit, at least as an option on part pre-payment and order!

I dislike the step motherly treatment meted out to us, one of the fastest growing auto markets in the world with consumers who are rapidly evolving and maturing and who will not crib about a bit extra for essential safety!
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks