Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2016, 19:14   #106
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta 1.4 TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
To all your questions above, I can just sum it up in short, Its GERMAN, If it was me i wouldn't opt for something which is driven for 60,000 kms, Since we can never know how the car was driven in that period, You could buy the car and soon after you might have to pay bill's you were not expecting for, I would suggest, Why not pay a bit more and get a car which is used some were around 30,000 - 35,000 kms? Now i am not saying the one you saw could turn out to be bad, But we gotta take precautions, Something which is driven for 60,000 kms harshly or has spent most of its time in bumper to bumper traffic can bring up good big amounting bills, Specially if the tyres were not changed of the car you saw, Your looking at a direct bill of 50-60 k just for the tyres, I say look around a bit more, There is lot of jetta's on sale these days, IF your from pune and don't mind coming down to Mumbai, There are several jetta's here too.

You've pretty much penned down the exact thoughts that have been worrying me since the time I saw this car. The catch here is 60k kms clocked. The owner apparently has Audis/BMWs/Land Rover etc etc and this was primarily the car for local running around, at least that's what the dealer says but I never pay attention to such stories. But what's for sure is that the car has mostly or always been in the hands of a driver.

My family stays in Mumbai so I keep coming down there but a car driven in Pune anyday over a car driven in Mumbai since I am well aware and have personally experienced the madness out there w.r.t. road conditions and traffic.

Jetta TSI is hard to find, I can definitely see a lot of diesel Jettas up for sale. I feel the petrol would be enough for me and most importantly, maintenance of petrol should be less than the diesel (that's' what I feel, I may be wrong!)

So, at this moment, it's like 70% No and 30% Yes. Let's see where I end up.

Last edited by Aston Singh : 20th August 2016 at 19:16.
Old 20th August 2016, 19:20   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston Singh View Post
You've pretty much penned down the exact thoughts that have been worrying me since the time I saw this car. The catch here is 60k kms clocked. The owner apparently has Audis/BMWs/Land Rover etc etc and this was primarily the car for local running around, at least that's what the dealer says but I never pay attention to such stories. But what's for sure is that the car has mostly or always been in the hands of a driver.

Quote:
Jetta TSI is hard to find, I can definitely see a lot of diesel Jettas up for sale. I feel the petrol would be enough for me and most importantly, maintenance of petrol should be less than the diesel (that's' what I feel, I may be wrong!)
Yes true, The TSI version is hard to find, I say give the TDI a shot as well, Specially the lower variant of the TDI, It also becomes real VFM, Maintenance isn't poles apart, The Diesel to Petrol Rupee rate as well as the Average you would get would get things more closer.

Quote:
So, at this moment, it's like 70% No and 30% Yes. Let's see where I end up.
If you find a nice one in Mumbai, Hit me up, Will be glad to help you out checking out the car.
Old 21st August 2016, 08:45   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post

Yes true, The TSI version is hard to find, I say give the TDI a shot as well.

If you find a nice one in Mumbai, Hit me up, Will be glad to help you out checking out the car.
Thanks. I'll see if I get good deals on the TDI. And will definitely hit you up if I find something in Mumbai.
Old 21st August 2016, 12:32   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So I checked out another TSI today. This particular one is somewhere around April 2013 registered and has clocked 59500 kms. I managed to get some details from VW service centre. Car was last serviced at 53000 kms, regular service but brake pads were changed. Prior to that car was serviced in 2014 at 37000 kms, again regular servicing.
You've rejected this car, which is good but be aware of some things to look out for.

This car went 16,000 km between two services. The recommended interval is 15,000 km. That tells you the owner isn't too particular about maintenance. Similarly, this seems to be a high running car since he has done 60k in just three years. But then, I would expect services at exactly the 15k, 30k and 45k marks. Why then is there a service at 37k?

With ze Germans, you simply cannot risk this sort of lackadaisical attitude towards maintenance schedules. If you find one that's been regularly serviced for a good price, by all means go for it. Jetta owners will then be able to advise you on what future maintenance will be required.
Old 25th August 2016, 13:12   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
You've rejected this car, which is good but be aware of some things to look out for.
I didn't bother following up regarding this particular model. I am thinking it makes more sense for me to pick up a brand new GT TSI from CSD canteen instead look for a pre-owned Jetta TSI in the range of 6-8L.
Old 25th August 2016, 16:51   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I didn't bother following up regarding this particular model. I am thinking it makes more sense for me to pick up a brand new GT TSI from CSD canteen instead look for a pre-owned Jetta TSI in the range of 6-8L.
Are you aware of GT TSI price from CSD? Last time when I checked, VW dealer from Chennai contacted me and said that VW cars under CSD are available from Chennai and not Bangalore/Hyderabad.
Old 25th August 2016, 16:53   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay99 View Post
Are you aware of GT TSI price from CSD? Last time when I checked, VW dealer from Chennai contacted me and said that VW cars under CSD are available from Chennai and not Bangalore/Hyderabad.
If I plan to pick up one then I'll do that from Ahmedabad. Out there ex showroom price is 7.94L.
Old 17th September 2017, 20:07   #113
BHPian

Picked-up a pre-worshipped Jetta CL 1.4TSI manufactured in Feb 2014 and registered in mid 2014.

However, contrary to the specs and pictures here, the car has got a dual zone climate control, like the 2015 model.

I was wondering, if the previous owner did a retrofit if at all that is possible??

It works quite well and the fit and finish shows absolutely no signs of retro-fitment.
Old 17th September 2017, 22:13   #114
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acemanhiflier View Post
Picked-up a pre-worshipped Jetta CL 1.4TSI manufactured in Feb 2014 and registered in mid 2014.

However, contrary to the specs and pictures here, the car has got a dual zone climate control, like the 2015 model.

I was wondering, if the previous owner did a retrofit if at all that is possible??

It works quite well and the fit and finish shows absolutely no signs of retro-fitment.
The Jetta got a mild facelift somewhere in 2013 where the CL got updated with sedona alloys, ACC and a better head unit,i.e., RCD 310 with 8 speaker, which was further changed to RCD 320 wih 4 speakers somewhere in mid-2014. Volkswagen and their updates, eh?

However, as far as I remember only the initial batches of CL Jettas(2011) came equipped with cruise control. It was added to the whole Jetta line-up after the 2015 facelift only. I think that the previous owner has got it retro-fitted. Though the dual-zone ACC is stock.
AYP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2017, 22:35   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
However, as far as I remember only the initial batches of CL Jettas(2011) came equipped with cruise control. It was added to the whole Jetta line-up after the 2015 facelift only.
You're correct, my dad has a 2011 Jetta Comfort line and it lacks ACC but has Cruise Control which he uses regularly on Highways. Talking about the car, it's in stock condition & has done 75k. The most surprising bit is the battery, it's still the same battery since day one. I can't believe how that's holding up since this is a VW.

Also, have not updated the Dieselgate scandal as my friend was forced to sell his Polo GT TDI after it felt completely underpowered post update. Can't happen to this Jetta since it no longer is available here.

But, that apart, what a Fantastic Machine this is. It will turn 6 next month, but my dad hasn't even considered a replacement where-in 3 cars were replaced in this period. He just keeps on saying that he'll not buy new car until it's as good or better then this Jetta. Waiting for the Jaguar E-Pace.
CarguyNish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2017, 01:16   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
The Jetta got a mild facelift somewhere in 2013 where the CL got updated with sedona alloys, ACC and a better head unit,i.e., RCD 310 with 8 speaker, which was further changed to RCD 320 wih 4 speakers somewhere in mid-2014. Volkswagen and their updates, eh?

However, as far as I remember only the initial batches of CL Jettas(2011) came equipped with cruise control. It was added to the whole Jetta line-up after the 2015 facelift only. I think that the previous owner has got it retro-fitted. Though the dual-zone ACC is stock.
My Jetta has dual zone ACC only and no cruise control. Do you think it is possible to add cruise control? That would be interesting...

I know many here feel that the 1.4TSI may be under-powered. One to one comparison with a Superb 1.8TSI, the Jetta feels better to me in everyday usage. Up to 3K RPM, the 1.4TSI seems to have an edge over the 1.8TSI. But after that, its the 1.8TSI all the way. The 1.4TSI also feels better to drive in city than a 2.0TDI. I am sure on the highway both the 1.8TSI and 2.0TDI will have the edge.

My Jetta is also returning me good FE figures. 9+ KMPL on busy roads and 15+ KMPL on open roads. Yet to take her for a long spin on the highways. I am sure it will let me take out more juice per liter.

Overall, I think in the used car market, the TSI sells for much lesser than the TDI, and is the better pick of the two in terms of VFM and driveability in city conditions.

Quote:
Hey Aston, Jetta and Polo are incomparable. Having driven a polo many times and owning a Vento also, and now owning a Jetta, I think Jetta is a significant upgrade over both these cars in every sense.

My Jetta is next to new and still in warranty (extended warranty to be precise). Is 3 years old and has verified 27K on the odo. It has costed me less than a descent trim/ config of polo.

I think if you were ever contemplating buying a Jetta, the Polo (though an excellent car) will leave you wanting from something extra. So bite the bulled and pick-up a pre-worshiped beauty. When I was researching, found some more good options around in Mumbai/ Pune.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 18th September 2017 at 09:30. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote option (QUOTE+) while quoting and responding to multiple posts together. Thanks!
acemanhiflier is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2017, 17:24   #117
BHPian

Quote:
I think if you were ever contemplating buying a Jetta, the Polo (though an excellent car) will leave you wanting from something extra. So bite the bulled and pick-up a pre-worshiped beauty. When I was researching, found some more good options around in Mumbai/ Pune.
Hey! Welcome to the forum. And congratulations on the Jetta.
I decided to pick up the GT after checking out a few pre owned cars, including the Jetta. My preference was for an automatic plus it was a new car against a pre-owned conflict so I went ahead with the GT TSI back in Nov 2016. Plus I had the option to pick it up from CSD (Defense personnel)

10 and half months down the line and approaching the 15k mark, I am quite satisfied and happy with the car. Not perfect but does bring a smile on my face every time I behind the wheel.
Aston Singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2017, 21:30   #118
BHPian

It has been raining again in Mumbai.

I discovered a strange thing with my Jetta. It is totally silent and butter smooth going over speed breakers on dry roads. In fact, it just gobbles them! But when the roads are wet, I hear a creaking sound as the car goes a little fast over a speed breaker.

I am re-iterating. There is not even an iota of the creak or noise in dry conditions, no matter how big the humps are and how fast the car goes over them.

Is it some mechanical fault which amplifies in wet weather? Or is it something like the ESP at work?

The car is still in warranty if the experts feel that I should get something checked/ repaired/ replaced...
Old 25th September 2017, 13:34   #119
BHPian

Just completed a small highway run on my Jetta TSi CL over the weekend.

Got an average fuel efficiency of 19 KMPL. This is better than any other sedan I have taken out for similar spin earlier (Vento 1.6, ANHC, Desire Petrol and trusted old Esteem 1.3MPI). The Jetta is considerably heavier than all these cars, so clearly superior figures in my opinion. Plus, I must have pushed the Jetta harder as it feels more planted!!

However, one most significant USP of Jetta, i.e. interior built quality, leave me a little unhappy. The driver side door seems to be rattling, though rest of the car is silent. Hope it is one odd fixable issue...
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Jetta 1.4 TSI : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20170925-11.44.49.jpeg  

Old 29th September 2017, 06:29   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It has been raining again in Mumbai.

I discovered a strange thing with my Jetta. It is totally silent and butter smooth going over speed breakers on dry roads. In fact, it just gobbles them! But when the roads are wet, I hear a creaking sound as the car goes a little fast over a speed breaker.

I am re-iterating. There is not even an iota of the creak or noise in dry conditions, no matter how big the humps are and how fast the car goes over them.

Is it some mechanical fault which amplifies in wet weather? Or is it something like the ESP at work?

The car is still in warranty if the experts feel that I should get something checked/ repaired/ replaced...
It's from the front suspension lower arms which tend to creak in many cars when wet. I have it in my Cruze and o occasionally in my Octavia too. Nothing to worry about is what I have been consistently advised.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks