Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2024, 06:05   #856
BHPian

Re: Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeloholic View Post
Thanks Vinod, yes, I planned to change all consumables and filters by end of the year including the suspension, as it's due to change.
Mine is the manual version of Nano XT, and the clutch is super smooth.
Please don't fiddle with the suspension if not required or nothing wrong, just get the service done.
Quote:
I am bit scared to take Nano in highway, due to the limited (or almost nil) safety feature it got. So, this Nano will do only city duties.
Please don't attempt these stupid thoughts of taking your Nano on the highway, it's just meant for city use with sedate driving, I and my driver's never cross 60kmph in 5th, then ofcourse where are the roads in city or place to do these insipid speeds?
Old 4th September 2024, 09:01   #857

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinod_nair View Post
Please don't fiddle with the suspension if not required or nothing wrong, just get the service done.
The suspension is bit weak, and I could feel all the bumps inside and the ride is not comfortable in the bad roads, I feel that the struts are to be changed.
Old 4th September 2024, 09:56   #858
BHPian

Quote:
The suspension is bit weak, and I could feel all the bumps inside and the ride is not comfortable in the bad roads, I feel that the struts are to be changed.
Just bare and live with it, when I bought mine new in '16, I got AMC gold, everything is covered except tyres and battery, I got the same feeling as you all 4 struts were changed FOC, and back to square one in about a year and a half. If you must just change the bushes. Ask boodmo they have everything for Nano.

Our roads are a nightmare so just bare it.
Old 4th September 2024, 10:35   #859
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nano's suspension articulation is limited. As a result the spring rates are stiffer. Anything more supple would mean more pitch and wallow and that would compromise handling. That is the main reason for the uncomfortable ride.
If you wish to make the ride more comfortable, you can either:
1. Change all four tyres to 145/80-R12 tyres all round and run 28 psi tyre pressures.
2. Change all four wheel rims to that of Renault KWID 1st gen. The KWID rims are 13-inchers. That also has three lug nuts, the same PCD as Nano, so it is a bolt on fitment. However change the tyres to 155/60-R13 or max 155/65-13. The steering will feel a bit heavier and the acceleration a bit slower, (as the overall gearing gets raised), but the ride gets better, (due to the less vertical movement of the larger rim/tyre combination).
arjab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2024, 11:13   #860
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinod_nair View Post
Please don't attempt these stupid thoughts of taking your Nano on the highway, it's just meant for city use with sedate driving, I and my driver's never cross 60kmph in 5th, then ofcourse where are the roads in city or place to do these insipid speeds?
The thoughts are not stupid. It is a valid thought and everyone is free to think aloud.
It is the individual's perspective on a thought that differs and that is purely personal.

Regarding the Nano's cruising ability on the highway; if one exercises due caution, understand the dynamics and performance envelope of the little car, the vehicle can prove to be an effective and very efficient transport on highways.

I have done several long distance trips in my Nano including Kolkata - Chennai - Kolkata multiple number of times; (One such example here:https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...ta-nano-2.html (Lockdown Travel: Chennai to Kolkata (in a Nano)) ) and have never regretted it.

The high seating position, great visibility, chiller of an AC and surprisingly good headlights work in your favour. The 26-inch wiper with its integrated washer nozzle wipes the huge windscreen very effectively even in torrential rains. Stability at 75-85kmph, which is the Nano's ideal, if i may say so, "touring sweet spot", is surprisingly good, maybe due to the rear engined, rear wheel drive configuration.
Weaknesses are limited performance, drum brakes,(advisable to resort to cadence braking when braking from 80kmph+), high NVH levels and lack of supplementary restraint systems.
But then, if you exercise mature driving behaviour, discretion, caution and deploy your anticipatory driving skills, you are no worse off in a Nano compared to a Maruti Van, Maruti EECO or a Maruti Alto. Else you can kill yourself in a motorised bathtub at 10 kmph!

The problem is people do not consider the Nano to be a "car"! but fortunately or unfortunately; it is a car, a full fledged working automobile, with very basic creature comforts, despite the images of doom & gloom and the Grim Reaper overshadowing it!

Last edited by arjab : 4th September 2024 at 11:16.
arjab is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th September 2024, 19:43   #861

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
If you wish to make the ride more comfortable, you can either:
1. Change all four tyres to 145/80-R12 tyres all round and run 28 psi tyre pressures.
2. Change all four wheel rims to that of Renault KWID 1st gen. The KWID rims are 13-inchers. That also has three lug nuts, the same PCD as Nano, so it is a bolt on fitment. However change the tyres to 155/60-R13 or max 155/65-13. The steering will feel a bit heavier and the acceleration a bit slower, (as the overall gearing gets raised), but the ride gets better, (due to the less vertical movement of the larger rim/tyre combination).
Thanks Arjab for your input, I prefer to keep it in stock condition, I am fine with stiffer suspension, but I just felt that struts are way beyond it's life as it is more than 8 years with not much km in Odo, so thought that new struts will bring back some comfort than what I have currently.
I am impressed with your in depth understanding of Nano.
Wheeloholic is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks