Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2012, 10:59   #301
BHPian

Re: Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rknair View Post
I spoke to my sales adviser about what I learnt from this forum. He said That Tata has not officially launched special edition IN AP. since there were so many enquiries about special edition they have given approval to the dealers to give these accessories with the models. At my insistence he said he will clarify with the Tata motors manager in ap and will provide me the contact of this manager so that I can talk to him. Tata has not responded to my email yet. Waiting with my fingers crossed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Something is wrong. The special edition is being heavily advertised here. Although it's true it's the LX model with extra accessories, the major difference between the LX and the special edition is the body decals. I doubt if this is happening at the dealer's. My guess is today if you walked into any dealer's, you would be hardpressed to find a plain LX model. If you did find any it would be from the left over stocks. After all when you are getting 20k worth of accessories free, who would go for the plain LX?

Please do not go ahead till you receive communication from Tata on the same.
Quote:
They are giving the decals as well. The only difference I see is the location of the speakers. The Special Edition has a provision to place the speakers in the doors, from what I read from the earlier posts. (I read that in the News Release here also)

But there seems to be some substance in what the dealer tells me also. I see two pages in the Tata Nano website.

http://tatanano.com/special-edition.htm This tells me that the offer is not valid in Andhra Pradesh where as http://tatanano.com/current_offers.htm tells me that it is not available only in Bihar, Jharkhand and Orissa.

I have also not seen a single display piece in Hyderabad so far.

I have paid the booking amount of Rs. 5000/- but still have some time before I close the deal.
Quote:
I meant there may be some truth in your statement that the special edition is not on sale in AP or specific regions, however if the dealer is selling you the special edition I doubt if he will have any say in where the speakers are placed. I saw around ten special edition Nanos parked at a Tata dealer, all with the same speaker placement. So I doubt if the dealer could place them elsewhere.

Sorry missed out on the pic because I had to rush out of town.

It is true - the special edition is a LX with an add on kit.

The 'KIT' comes along with the car and is FIT at the DEALER - not a factory fit.
The kit includes

2 - Special Edition stickers
2 - Decals - both sides
2 - Glove boxes - 1 with lock, 1 without lock
4 - Alloy wheels - 8 Spoke. Tata.
2 Speakers in the FRONT DOOR magazine shelf. The SLOT is already there with the lovely new beige fabric & black faux leather upholstery.
1 - Music system. JVC / Blaupunkt / Sony (as mentioned by Honeybee) - so I guess that is left to DEALER discretion?

A lot of people (like me) opt to not have the decals and have everything else.
So they have a lot of decals lying around.

And yes - ALL special edition have SAME place fitment. There can be NO CHANGE in that because that will in-turn reflect on the type of magazine shelf in the door.

I guess the answer will be complete with the pic.

Coming up soon....
Old 11th December 2012, 00:25   #302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj View Post
And yes - ALL special edition have SAME place fitment. There can be NO CHANGE in that because that will in-turn reflect on the type of magazine shelf in the door.

I guess the answer will be complete with the pic.

Coming up soon....
As promised :

Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-dscn7209001.jpg

Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-dscn7210001.jpg

Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-dscn7222001.jpg

Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-dscn7224001.jpg
Dr.Suraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2012, 06:44   #303
BHPian

Quote:
As promised :
Thanks a lot, this makes it very clear. I was wondering how they access the screws at the bottom of the speakers. Or is it resting just on the top two screws that we see in the picture?
Old 11th December 2012, 08:27   #304
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot, this makes it very clear. I was wondering how they access the screws at the bottom of the speakers. Or is it resting just on the top two screws that we see in the picture?
I believe it is PRE-FIT into that panel and then the panel is screwed in.

That is why the stress on getting it as an OE fitment as compared to a shoddy make-shift after market mod.
Old 11th December 2012, 08:29   #305
Senior - BHPian

I noticed, after the music system was fitted, that the door pocket has a gap at its bottom. One of the toll receipts had been stuck in it and I finally pulled it out from the bottom of the door pocket. So my guess is this door pocket is removable. Or else the door panel could be removed to fit the speakers into it. I did see smudge marks on the top of the door panels.
Old 11th December 2012, 19:44   #306
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ yes indeed the Door pocket is removable, the Speaker is fitted in first.

The LX is available at further discount this Dec if one does not want the Limited Edition varient. Though I would suggest one goes the full stretch and get the LE. The indash storage covers and alloys do look neat, though the decals are a bit a matter of taste and depend on the colour one selects.

Last edited by ACM : 11th December 2012 at 19:45.
Old 11th December 2012, 20:59   #307
BHPian

Quote:
That is why the stress on getting it as an OE fitment as compared to a shoddy make-shift after market mod.
Quote:
I noticed, after the music system was fitted, that the door pocket has a gap at its bottom.
You guys are great!! Lot of developments in the last one day. I received a reply from Tata Motors for my email sent on 8th Dec about the issue.

Dear Sir,

Thank you for writing to us.

We are in receipt of your email dated 08.12.12. At the outset, we regret the delayed response and the inconvenience caused to you.

The matter has been immediately taken up with our Regional office, Bangalore with a request to look into the matter on priority and to arrange to do the needful at the earliest.

In case of any further assistance, please feel free to contact Mr. Xxxxxx Xxxxx, Area Manager on 9xxxxxxxxx.

Assuring you best of our services.

Thanking you
For Tata Motors

Customer-Care Team
Mumbai

Today morning a sales manager from Bangalore called me to understand my concerns. He confirmed to me that LX SE is actually LX with a set of accessories provide by Tata through a SE Kit. The fitting is done at Dealer end. He also confirmed that the recommended position of SE Speakers is on the door panels and they have send the dealers instruction on how to do that. As you all know, the earlier speaker model was in the shape so that it is fit on top of the dash, but with the glovebox, they have changed the location and the shape of the OEM speaker. I asked him if there was any changes done on the door panel of the newer models to accommodate the new speaker. He was not sure of that; he said he will get back to me on that after speaking to the Accessories team. He called me back promptly in another hour and confirmed that there is no changes in the door panel so it can be fitted on any LX.

I also told him my experiences with the two dealers about the confusion of the speaker placement and how it shook my trust on the accessory, he said he will talk to the dealers and get it corrected.

He was a bit surprised when I told him that there is no display model of Special Edition in either of the dealers but he said now that the Accessory kit is available they will have it in place. (But the way the tata was advertising the project, I feel putting a display piece should have been the first thing they had thought about, so it is an opportunity lost.)

I talked to the Sales Advisor next. He said the Manager who talked to me earlier had talked to them also. He confirmed to me that as per my request, the speakers will be put in the door panel (I had send him the photos shared by Dr Suraj and he said it will be the same way). He also said that a display piece of Special Edition is also available in their showroom in the color of my choice, I can inspect that piece and if I like it can drive it home paying the remaining amount by tomorrow. He also has another piece with him, I can get that if I want by Friday. Wow!!

I am impressed by the way Tata handled the matter. I just hope the After Sales Support will be as good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
The LX is available at further discount this Dec if one does not want the Limited Edition varient.
You will get a Rs. 10 k cash discount in Hyderabad. But doubt anyone will fall for that.
rknair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2012, 21:54   #308
BHPian

Quote:
You guys are great!! Lot of developments in the last one day. I received a reply from Tata Motors for my email sent on 8th Dec about the issue.
I am impressed by the way Tata handled the matter. I just hope the After Sales Support will be as good.
You will get a Rs. 10 k cash discount in Hyderabad. But doubt anyone will fall for that.

Yes - THAT is precisely the TATA that I have become accustomed to - NOW since a year.

EXEMPLARY service and response. (Read my Manza ownership thread)
Be rest assured the same continues for after sales as well.

If the workshop or T.A.S.S. fellow is acting oversmart or cutting corners - all it takes is 1 email to get them to fall in line and Tata Motors works extra hard to ensure every customer is satisfied till the end.

In the words of the GM of the TCRS Workshop at Mumbai - "Anyday you find your car is not a pleasure to drive, bring it to us, anytime and I promise you I will ensure that it is."

Congratulations in ADVANCE for your Nano 2012 LX SE !

Note from Team-bhp support: Please do not quote an entire long post as it inconveniences our mobile and small screen users.

Last edited by moralfibre : 12th December 2012 at 06:49.
Old 15th December 2012, 09:49   #309
BHPian

My Khushiyon Ki Chaabi is here!! Went for the PDI and some memories from the first day.

360 degree view.
Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-dscf1896.jpg
Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-dscf1897.jpg
Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-dscf1898.jpg
Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-dscf1902.jpg
Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-dscf1903.jpg
Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-dscf1911.jpg
Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-dscf1913.jpg
Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-dscf1899.jpg

BS4 Special Edition
Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-dscf1906.jpg

JVC KD-R436 Headunit, Blaupunkt Speakers on the Door Panel
Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-dscf1908.jpg

...CKG... - July 2012 Manufactured.
Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-dscf1909.jpg

Tata Alloy wheels with MRF Tyres
Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-dscf1901.jpg

Exide Battery under the seat
Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-dscf1912.jpg

Some flaws we noticed

i) Front Passenger side Rubber beading of Quarter Glass was coming off.
Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-dscf1914.jpg

ii) Glove box provided was not closing properly. We did not take the Passenger side one. This seems to be a common problem with the glove boxes provided by Tata. From a distance it still looks fine, but once you open it, you get that cheap plasticky feel.
Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-dscf1907.jpg
rknair is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th December 2012, 10:59   #310
Senior - BHPian

@rk, congrats for the new purchase! Hope you enjoy many happy miles in it.

@DrSuraj, if that's the way Tata is working, I think it's only a matter of time before they take the lead in the Indian automotive sector. In my pessimistic opinion the quality of service you get from the average A.S.S. is dropping everywhere, however if the drive towards customer satisfaction starts from the top, I should look for another Tata vehicle for my next purchase.

Quality of fit and finish is still a worry, it's almost like a tradition with Tatas, no?

The JVC unit looks as bad as my Sony HU. The number keys to switch the radio channels are useless to fiddle around with in the dark, or even in the day while driving. The small size makes them hard to press, along with other buttons on the same row. I would have preferred a simple Up/Down button instead to just scroll through the available FM channels. Much easier to use while driving.

Last edited by honeybee : 15th December 2012 at 11:03.
Old 15th December 2012, 12:08   #311
BHPian

Quote:
My Khushiyon Ki Chaabi is here!! Went for the PDI and some memories from the first day.
Congratulations!!!

Reminded me that my thread is still pending!

PDI looks decent.

Quick things that come to my mind
  1. Position of the 2nd 'Special Edition' Sticker - LEft C pillar? Or missing. Official KIT includes 2 stickers
  2. Did they discount for not opting for 2nd glove box?
  3. Glove box quality EXTREMELY poor. Just close it with a bang. Only solution. I too regretting glove box at times
  4. Could you see the Blaupunkt speakers?
  5. Did you have the choice of a Blaupunkt HUD? I have the DITTO same JVC HUD
  6. Buttons of the HUD and overall features are reasonably poor. But hey, it's free - so technically one can't complain. I am saving the money I would have spent for an after market fitment.
  7. The remote of the HUD is nice
  8. Do keep a track of how many spare bulbs and fuses they are giving you at the time of delivery. ideal answer is ONLY 1 bulb. :(
  9. Mudflaps & Matting & Car Cover - FREEBIES from Dealer. Please ensure you get it

Congratulations ONCE AGAIN!

Quote:
@rk, congrats for the new purchase! Hope you enjoy many happy miles in it.

@DrSuraj, if that's the way Tata is working, I think it's only a matter of time before they take the lead in the Indian automotive sector. In my pessimistic opinion the quality of service you get from the average A.S.S. is dropping everywhere, however if the drive towards customer satisfaction starts from the top, I should look for another Tata vehicle for my next purchase.

Quality of fit and finish is still a worry, it's almost like a tradition with Tatas, no?

The JVC unit looks as bad as my Sony HU. The number keys to switch the radio channels are useless to fiddle around with in the dark, or even in the day while driving. The small size makes them hard to press, along with other buttons on the same row. I would have preferred a simple Up/Down button instead to just scroll through the available FM channels. Much easier to use while driving.
@ Honeybee.

Yes the JVC HUD is equally bad. But it does a decent job and rather than spend on an aftermarket SINGLE din HUD - it does give CD, USB & AUX.

Also I read that this JVC HUD can have a Bluetooth Adapter (to be purchased separately) which can be mounted on the steering. Thinking of researching it a little bit.

Yes, the drive has changed from the top. Ever since the leadership changed.
They are not yet 'aggressive' - but they are surely not passive or dormant anymore.
Also loads of tech coming in from JLR has seen some promising products in recent times.
Manza Club Class. Price slashed Aria. Let's see what the future holds.

After my petrol Indica V2 - I had SWORN not to touch Tata ever again.
But the Manza made such a compelling case, with the legroom, space, comfort and ALL those lovely features.
Bought the Manza - and the service and response given by Tata in my 1 year with Manza made sure I don't think twice before buying the Nano.

All mentioned in my Manza ownership thread.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...n-edition.html
More around page 9
Old 15th December 2012, 12:57   #312
BHPian

Quote:
Needs to see how the focus on Nano would be after Mr. Ratan Tata steps down this month? I have heard rumors that he will now completely focus on his dream project.

Quote:
The JVC unit looks as bad as my Sony HU.
Agree!! But the sound quality is very good for the kind of music we enjoy. Carried an USB & and a CD to test. The CD comes out of the unit at a high angle making it difficult to change CDs without causing scratches and smudge marks on them.

Quote:
[*]Position of the 2nd 'Special Edition' Sticker - LEft C pillar? Or missing. Official KIT includes 2 stickers
Haven't seen that may be it is missing. Will check again when I go for delivery.
Quote:
[*]Did they discount for not opting for 2nd glove box?
We are carrying that glove box with us, if as an afterthought we decide to install it.
Quote:
[*]Could you see the Blaupunkt speakers?
I am trusting the dealer here. One difference I see it that there is a silver ring which hides the screws which holds the piece to the door panel. I have also seen a Sony speaker which they installed on another car. That was looking the exact same as the photo you posted earlier.
Quote:
[*]Did you have the choice of a Blaupunkt HUD? I have the DITTO same JVC HUD
No choice
Quote:
[*]Do keep a track of how many spare bulbs and fuses they are giving you at the time of delivery. ideal answer is ONLY 1 bulb. :(
will do..
Quote:
[*]Mudflaps & Matting & Car Cover - FREEBIES from Dealer. Please ensure you get it
He has promised me Mudflaps and Mats. But no car cover.

Quote:
Also I read that this JVC HUD can have a Bluetooth Adapter (to be purchased separately) which can be mounted on the steering. Thinking of researching it a little bit.
I have also seen in the JVC site about an free android application which gives an easy option to see the playlist and control the set if you connect it through a USB cable. Need to explore that after I get my hands on it.
http://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/c...app/index.html
Old 20th December 2012, 19:52   #313
BHPian

Hello Friends,
I am in the process of gifting my dad a Nano. I checked the car when I was down home in Dec 1st week and was truly impressed with the space. I told the Sales Executive that we will decide towards the end and take delivery by Jan13.
I in the mean while started research on the Nano13 launch. I was pleasantly surprised that I got a prompt call today from the Sales Executive asking on my decision. I told her I was in 2 minds and said I am also thinking of waiting for the 2013 model in Jan(I just bluffed on the Jan release).
I was again surprised when the SE said that that model will be costlier than the current Special Edition and besides the offer of a 5K discount (if I produce a 2 wheeler RC book) there is also a discount of 6K for Dec. But I have to book by TOMORROW!!
Now can someone please help me decide:
1- Should I wait? I am looking to buy the petrol top end version (that is decided) or should I take the offer.
2. So there is some launch in Jan-13??
3. Does the Nano-13 come with power steering and improved noise reduction? Also are there any other improvements?
4. Any idea on the Nano13 price??
Old 20th December 2012, 23:38   #314
Senior - BHPian

I don't think the Nano will be launched with a power steering so soon. To the best of my info the rear-engine layout makes this a little difficult. Also the Nano doesn't need one.

My advice is go for it instead of waiting for the next revision. Waiting for the next model is an endless game. If you have made up your mind, go get it right now.

With the prices rising, no new models will ever be launched at lower price points than the existing ones, so you can safely trust the sales executive that the new Nano will be priced higher.
Old 21st December 2012, 05:30   #315
Senior - BHPian

@shivasi, go for the Sp edition right now before the offer ends which may be by end of Dec.

The Nano has a great interior packaging and super A/c. The year end deals are the sweetest and try trading in a old two wheeler and you could get a nice exchange value as a add on bonus.

The space and practicality that Nano offers in the entry hatch segment is truly superior and added in freebies such as audio unit, alloys and glovebox are good to have nowadays.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks