Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2011, 11:24   #1216
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
Just got the news from SE at Bangalore that Mahindra has again withdrawn the awd model for some changes and refinement. (he said that they have delivered only 1 awd xuv so far from their dealership) and that awd deliveries will start again in January 2012. It this true? Can anyone please confirm this.
Hi, I was told by the SE (way back) that the first AWD deliveries are expected only around end of Dec. I had got a call from Mahindra some weeks ago that they're offering me another year of warranty so now its 3 years unlimited mileage. As for delivery date, I was told 'sometime early March 2012'. I was asked to talk to the dealership for details. I haven't done that yet.
Old 9th December 2011, 17:17   #1217
dot
Senior - BHPian

Just took a TD of the XUV. I must say that I am disappointed by the ride as well as the finish. I agree that it is a huge leap for the company from the likes of Scorpio, but will I spend 13-14L on this vehicle? The answer is no.

Engine was fairly unresponsive, when compared to the current Safari 2.2 Dicor engine. Plastic and seat finish is of a 6 - 7 lakh vehicle. Interior panel gaps and inconsistency was very prominent. I agree the features and goodies in the vehicle is quite impressive. But to me, features and goodies come second. Finally, paint quality is better than the likes of Verito, Xylo, but one can spot the wavy undulations on the paint surface when eye places very close parallel to any panel.

No doubt, it is a progressive offering from M&M. But it has way to go to achieve international quality.

Last edited by dot : 9th December 2011 at 17:18.
Old 9th December 2011, 17:33   #1218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Just took a TD of the XUV. I must say that I am disappointed by the ride as well as the finish. I agree that it is a huge leap for the company from the likes of Scorpio, but will I spend 13-14L on this vehicle? The answer is no.

Engine was fairly unresponsive, when compared to the current Safari 2.2 Dicor engine. Plastic and seat finish is of a 6 - 7 lakh vehicle. Interior panel gaps and inconsistency was very prominent. I agree the features and goodies in the vehicle is quite impressive. But to me, features and goodies come second. Finally, paint quality is better than the likes of Verito, Xylo, but one can spot the wavy undulations on the paint surface when eye places very close parallel to any panel.

No doubt, it is a progressive offering from M&M. But it has way to go to achieve international quality.
Thanks DOT. Your observations give a totally different insight into the much talked about XUV.
ajay_satpute is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2011, 17:48   #1219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I agree with your opinion of the XUV. If I may, I would also attribute this similarity of opinion to our requirements. As an existing owner of a niggle free vehicle, the XUV is not an aspirational vehicle for me. Perhaps the Yeti would take that category.
And 13-14 lakhs seems much to put down (for me) for a workhorse of which I am not sure how it will be handled by Mahindra ***.
So in essence, it doesnt fill the blank of either a workhorse or an aspiration for me. The good that I hope it will do is force (pun unintended) others to price their offerings reasonably. Notably the Ecosport and the Duster if and when they make it here.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2011, 07:51   #1220

Quote:

Well I kind of disagree here on the VFM part. The ride and the inside fit and finish is not that great I agree, but compared with the corresponding Tata safari version it is not all that different IMHO. Infact with due apologies to the safari fans the safari fit and finish is very pathetic both inside and outside. What I noticed in my friends safari the rear tail gate gap with the body is so large that you can almost see the inside of the car! I noticed this as well when i visited the showroom and took a detail investigation of the display veh.
The inside plastic and fit and finish is flimsy. I was contemplating buying the safari top end before the launch of XUV, but luckily the SE did not turn up for test drive after providing him with all my coordinates.

Would I buy a Tata safari with dual airbags ( approx 14.3L on road blr) or a 13.6L W6 XUV? Certainly XUV! And I am thankful to M&M for launching this at the apt time for me.
sijesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2011, 09:33   #1221
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Got a weird call from the Thane Mahindra dealer yesterday. A lady called up and asked if I have finalized on XUV. I was surprised as in my feedback after the 2 TDs taken I had clearly mentioned my choice of variant (including colour) and readiness to book. During another phone enquiry about the bookings opening, I had left my details and choice of variant with them so that they could call as soon bookings open. So with these 3 sets of inputs already with them, they were asking me again if I have finalized on a particular variant.

Then I thought, may be this is about something else. May be they called up for pre-bookings or letting me know about the exact date of reopening the bookings or may be somebody cancelled a order for the same variant and colour I am looking for

I reiterated my choice and asked the lady on phone if the bookings have opened. She said - No. I asked her about the exact date of reopening. She said - next month. I was about to ask her why exactly has called as all she had was stale information. Then I realized the futility of asking her that and hung up after thanking her.

I absolutely did not understand the purpose of the call. Was this an attempt by Mahindra or the dealer to keep the prospects engaged?

Last edited by SDP : 10th December 2011 at 09:34.
Old 10th December 2011, 13:18   #1222
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Got a weird call from the Thane Mahindra dealer yesterday. A lady called up and asked if I have finalized on XUV. I was surprised as in my feedback after the 2 TDs taken I had clearly mentioned my choice of variant (including colour) and readiness to book. During another phone enquiry about the bookings opening, I had left my details and choice of variant with them so that they could call as soon bookings open. So with these 3 sets of inputs already with them, they were asking me again if I have finalized on a particular variant.

Then I thought, may be this is about something else. May be they called up for pre-bookings or letting me know about the exact date of reopening the bookings or may be somebody cancelled a order for the same variant and colour I am looking for

I reiterated my choice and asked the lady on phone if the bookings have opened. She said - No. I asked her about the exact date of reopening. She said - next month. I was about to ask her why exactly has called as all she had was stale information. Then I realized the futility of asking her that and hung up after thanking her.

I absolutely did not understand the purpose of the call. Was this an attempt by Mahindra or the dealer to keep the prospects engaged?
Either that, or a clear case of miscommunication.

It could be Mahindra's strategy of sitting on the heads of prospective customers until the booking and delivery has been finalized. After all, I'm sure they're aware of the fact that the waiting period and closed-bookings could possibly drive some potential customers away.

Having said that, dealerships have this habit of calling whatever number they have on their database. I remember, I'd taken a TD of the A-Star when it had just come out and even expressed some interest in it, and although I'd told the dealership that I'm no longer interested, I kept getting phone calls after phone calls. One time, I actually got a call saying that the variant I was looking for is available and delivery can be taken immediately!
Old 10th December 2011, 15:41   #1223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute

Thanks DOT. Your observations give a totally different insight into the much talked about XUV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive

I agree with your opinion of the XUV. If I may, I would also attribute this similarity of opinion to our requirements. As an existing owner of a niggle free vehicle, the XUV is not an aspirational vehicle for me. Perhaps the Yeti would take that category.
And 13-14 lakhs seems much to put down (for me) for a workhorse of which I am not sure how it will be handled by Mahindra ***.
So in essence, it doesnt fill the blank of either a workhorse or an aspiration for me. The good that I hope it will do is force (pun unintended) others to price their offerings reasonably. Notably the Ecosport and the Duster if and when they make it here.
Looks like the Pune guys have a common disagreement..
Coming from driving / owning the next SUV segment, IMO, this M&M workhorse still has to come out clean when it comes to overcoming niggles - electronics, MMI, etc.
As rightly said, M&M A.S.S. have to up their ante for this new segment.
Monaro CV8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2011, 17:02   #1224
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sijesh View Post
Would I buy a Tata safari with dual airbags ( approx 14.3L on road blr) or a 13.6L W6 XUV?
Totally respect your opinion. I would not pay 13-14L on a Safari either.

Lets look in this way, at 13-14L one can get terrific fit and finish in any C+ segment car. So why will I compromise on that in a SUV in the same price range? Does it mean I have to shell out additional 5L to get fit and finish in a SUV? If you ask me, Safari's and XUV's interior matches with 6-7 lakh segment cars. IMHO, it basically means that we are still waiting for a SUV with good fit and finish in this price bracket.

These are my general questions, not directed at anyone. Mods, please take action if found inappropriate on this thread.

Last edited by dot : 10th December 2011 at 17:06.
dot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2011, 17:21   #1225
BHPian

Current status..

1. This was an issues reported by Kedar i guess. It should have been fixed at factory level itself

2. If the touch screen is not working and they are unable to locate the issue, ask them to update the software. If this too fails - its a no brainer - replace the Touchscreen under warranty. (Software upgraded now issue fix it seems)

3. company and dealer PDI failed in this case. (steering control replaced today and that fixed issue )

4. I feel this panel gap is okay for indian build quality. Maybe the panels of a Jap/german/british make will be more tight. (I agree)
Tushargohil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2011, 19:29   #1226
BHPian

Got my W6 red last week. Wouldn’t have imagined I would be driving a Mahindra vehicle when I started looking for a car in the 8-9 Lac bracket. Having test driven the Ventos, Fiesta’s, Verna’s etc (the Verna I was very keen on but for which bookings were not being taken), I happened to visit the Mahindra showroom to check out their new SUV. Saw it, forgot the Verna and everything else, asked the SE where to go and make the booking and handed over 40k. I am one who will spend months researching which car to buy, but for me – the XUV was a no brainer. Why ? there have been enough discussions on it since I started tracking the XUV on TBHP so won't pen anymore.

Went for the W6 as I could stretch my budget only thus far. The W6 had more than what I could have asked for although the W8 was an equally great buy only if I could add that ~1.5Lac more.ESP, Hill hold touch screen etc were all great but felt I’ll work the parking brakes harder and drive safer and save 1.5 in the bargain ! If ABS and EBD can’t do the job, I wondered if ESP could. Navigation could be had for Rs 7k from outside and as for alloys – the W8’s stock alloys weren’t all that attractive. I got the sporty alloys installed on my W6.Went for the red as I already have a black Wagon R and had to defer to my spouse’s colour preferences. I liked the red too – as it was more like the ANHC red ~maroon rather than a bright red eyesore. If not the red, I surely would have gone for the black – more so for the beige interiors which I liked better than the black n brown.

I had done the PDI the day before the delivery and most things checked out fine. The car had been driven for around 57 Kms.

The Drive
Having driven the Ford Expedition during my stay in the US, I was not new to driving SUVs but that was sometime back and having driven the Wagon R lately, I had to readjust to driving an SUV. It took me the next 10 minutes of driving to do so. The XUV’s drive was pure bliss. Some of the XUV owners have said that long drives haven't been tiring at all. I couldn’t have agreed more. The vehicle is an absolute ‘makkhan’ and I went for a Delhi-Gurgaon-Delhi drive and felt as though I had driven only as far as the neighborhood block. Yes the excitement of driving a new car notwithstanding, it was the easiest and most relaxing of drives to Gurgaon and back I have ever done.You simply don't feel the distances and there is enormous on road respect too!

ICE
There have been some posts of the XUV’s audio not good enough – personally, I am quite satisfied with the audio output whilst appreciating this is strictly a matter of personal preferences. I have some ARRahman and Fleetwood mac tracks whose nuances my HT boxes don’t pick up – but the XUV’s audio does so and in those terms quite happy with it.The volume, quality and four door speakers give you quite an immersive experience. Perhaps I am still to hear better sounding speakers like some of the others have!

No issues encountered so far although I still haven’t been able to reset the clock. I do everything the manual tells me to adjust – but it keeps displaying the incorrect time! Will tell my RM about it.

For those wanting to get a gear lock installed, I got one done through Autocop. It would appear they are first movers in the XUV gear lock space and the guy who came to install it said mine is the first XUV he is installing this in. It seems he has done it right, at least it appears so!
Also, the DIS displayed an average of 23.0 Kmpl on the Delhi-Gurgaon stretch. I wonder if this is correct !? Great if yes.
Will try and post some pictures of my Cheetah…

Mod's Note: Please use the editor field of this board to type in directly. Copy-pasting from external editors like MS Word or any other RT Editor creates unreadable/badly formatted posts with unrendered tags. We have cleaned up your post this time as a one-off case for this time.
Old 11th December 2011, 00:12   #1227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot77in View Post

ICE
There have been some posts of the XUV’s audio not good enough – personally, I am quite satisfied with the audio output whilst appreciating this is strictly a matter of personal preferences. I have some ARRahman and Fleetwood mac tracks whose nuances my HT boxes don’t pick up – but the XUV’s audio does so and in those terms quite happy with it.The volume, quality and four door speakers give you quite an immersive experience. Perhaps I am still to hear better sounding speakers like some of the others have!

For those wanting to get a gear lock installed, I got one done through Autocop. It would appear they are first movers in the XUV gear lock space and the guy who came to install it said mine is the first XUV he is installing this in. It seems he has done it right, at least it appears so!
Also, the DIS displayed an average of 23.0 Kmpl on the Delhi-Gurgaon stretch. I wonder if this is correct !? Great if yes.
Will try and post some pictures of my Cheetah…
Congratulations on your new buy. I couldn't agree more on ICE...It is not the best but does it duty well.

Gear Lock is one of the most important necessity ( Not the accessory) for cars in India. I tried to contact Minda as they claim that their Gear Lock doesn't require drilling in the chasis but no one responded yet.

If possible please share a pic to show how Autocop has been installed. I tried to search for Autocop website or contact info but couldn't get any of these on Google. Can you share the contact info for Autocop guy and how much it cost as well.
Old 11th December 2011, 10:58   #1228
BHPian

I've uploaded some pics of the Gear lock.He did hammer holes on the floor to affix this.You may try 9818233339 to get this installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-10122011063.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-10122011064.jpg  

Old 11th December 2011, 13:07   #1229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot77in View Post
Got my W6 red last week. Wouldn’t have imagined I would be driving a Mahindra vehicle when I started looking for a car in the 8-9 Lac bracket. Having test driven the Ventos, Fiesta’s, Verna’s etc (the Verna I was very keen on but for which bookings were not being taken), I happened to visit the Mahindra showroom to check out their new SUV. Saw it, forgot the Verna and everything else, asked the SE where to go and make the booking and handed over 40k. I am one who will spend months researching which car to buy, but for me – the XUV was a no brainer.
Hearty congratulations on your ex-tempo purchase of the XUV500. Please share with us a lot of pictures (esp the new set of alloys that you XUV is sporting now). Also start you ownership thread asap.
Old 11th December 2011, 20:33   #1230
BHPian

I liked Munnabhai calling his XUV the 'Black Mamba'.....not sure what to call my Cheetah though.....'Red Bull' perhaps ! Some pictures...
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-55.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-56.jpg  

Pilot77in is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks