Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2019, 13:58   #7861
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
IIRC follow-me-home works only in "Automatic Headlights" mode. Switch to OFF on the headlights stalk and that should do the trick.
SDP, I don think Follow-me-home has anything to do with automatic. Cos there are times I turn lights to OFF and yet it works perfectly. And times in auto mode it works.
Unless I understood your statement wrongly.

FundaG
fundagenie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2019, 14:24   #7862
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
SDP, I don think Follow-me-home has anything to do with automatic. Cos there are times I turn lights to OFF and yet it works perfectly. And times in auto mode it works.
Unless I understood your statement wrongly.

FundaG
Exactly. Mines are always on OFF cause i never use Auto headlights, and follow me home works. It has nothing to do with Auto mode.
Old 6th August 2019, 00:07   #7863
Senior - BHPian

XUV threads have gone fairly quiet on TBHP . Seems like no new addition to the community.

One update on my 1st generation 2015 car is that the battery finally gave away and that too with perfect timing and no warning . Right when in the mall security queue I turned it off to get checked, it refused to turn on and all the electronics started to trip. I figured its either lose contact or bad battery. Finally got help from mall security to push and park and eventually started with pushing. Ordered a new battery from batterywale next day. Pretty good deal, chose the Amaron 90AH in place of 80AH OEM model and costed around 5.5K with exchange of old battery. Car is back to normal.

Based on my experience I have never seen car battery give way with no signs at all. Normally the starting will show some signs of strain etc but not in this case.
Old 6th August 2019, 01:08   #7864
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
Based on my experience I have never seen car battery give way with no signs at all. Normally the starting will show some signs of strain etc but not in this case.

I remember when the new Amaron Battery on our old Indica DLS failing to respond right in the middle of traffic near cochin. Couple of guys from the nearby battery store - just around 20 meters or less came down and got the battery replaced then and there.
Old 6th August 2019, 11:51   #7865
BHPian

Is there any way to check life left in battery. My xuv 2012/75k has not shown any sign for weak battery so far but i am not sure about it.
Old 7th August 2019, 09:33   #7866
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avimal View Post
Is there any way to check life left in battery. My xuv 2012/75k has not shown any sign for weak battery so far but i am not sure about it.
Wow, 7yrs with OEM batt. That is amazing since I have never seen a car batt last beyond 5 years. Did they put Li batt by any chance

On a more serious note you can check the voltage that batt give out during cranking the car. You can use a normal digital multimeter. If you notice the voltage falling to below 10V then its probably good time to replace since its not able to given the amount of current needed. GIven the age of batt i would suggest just change it without much thought.
Old 13th August 2019, 00:39   #7867
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avimal View Post
Measuring using volt meter is one way, another is using an OBDII interface, if you have the device, you can use some free app to check the battery output when engine is running and when its switched off.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post3507552 (Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions)
Old 22nd September 2019, 20:38   #7868
BHPian

Hi all,

I have been driving a XUV 500 W11(O) 4x2 MT for the past 1+ year and have completed nearly 12000 Kms. I have done some pretty rough road driving over completely broken & damaged roads in the hills of Sikkim and North Bengal as well as long distance highway cruising. My summary for the W11 model would be as below

Pros
1. Very powerful & refined engine - the strongest point,
2. Smooth & linear pick-up - no lags, no jumps,
3. Gear shift is slick and smooth - no hiccups,
4. Pulls effortlessly - even when fully loaded to the brim,
5. AC is very powerful and extremely effective - cools in no time,
6. 2nd row space is a delight - have sometimes made a bed during long journeys,
7. Full of convenience features such as electric sunroof, push button start/stop, electric seat adjustment, auto-folding ORVM's on engine start/stop, micro hybrid technology, cornering lights, follow-me headlamps, dead pedal to rest your foot during long journeys etc. etc.
8. Loads of street presence and SUV looks,
9. 18 inch diamond cut alloys looks great too,
10. Service support is very good & inexpensive (compared to Hyundai & Maruti cars that i have owned in the past),
11. Music system audio output is good.
12. All safety features included,
13. Fuel economy is also quite descent, averaging approx. 14-15 Kmpl.
14. Overall very easy to drive in cities, its size does not make it cumbersome.

Cons
1. Chassis does not feel solid while going through rough and broken roads, i can kind of feel the pain that it is going through and i am always kind of scared that it will get damaged,
2. Poor suspension set-up leading to harsh ride over rough & broken roads,
3. You can not ride fast over rough & broken roads, you have to slow down,
4. Fair amount of side-to-side body roll,
5. Battery konks out if not driven for 1 week,
6. Body panels (doors) gets bent if pressed hard, quality not good enough,
7. Rattles keep coming up from all over the body, specifically the left side,
8. Under-thigh support in the seats is less, which may lead to fatigue in long journeys for taller drivers,
9. In the middle row, there is no central AC vent, while the driver and the front passenger get good cooling, the middle row passenger may not feel that cool,
10. The AC vents on the B & C pillars in the 2nd & 3rd row does not have any air flow controls,
11. 2nd row seat is fixed and hence can not be moved to liberate space for the 3rd row,
12. 3rd row space is also very very limited,
13. There is almost no boot space,
14. The clock in the music system frequently gets misaligned, giving wrong times,
15. Steering pulls to the left, so you have to hold the steering always (which is the way it should be),
16. Clutch is a bit hard, however is getting smooth over time.

Overall i have begun to accept its various shortcomings and focus more on its strengths which is ease of driving, long distance mile munching, street presence etc.
SaurabhB is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2019, 08:26   #7869
BHPian

Do you guys recommend looking at the current generation of the XUV or wait for the next generation? And if Ford and Mahindra replicate the case of Duster and Terrano, do you recommend Ford or Mahindra? Thank you.
Old 24th September 2019, 07:31   #7870
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastturtle10 View Post
Do you guys recommend looking at the current generation of the XUV or wait for the next generation?
This will be a difficult question to answer, mainly depending on your urgency and need.
New generation of XUV is expected only by next year end, so if you are in need of a new car immediately, you may go ahead with purchase of current generation vehicle.

However, next years XUV is supposed to be bigger in dimension and power. So if you are keen on both, makes sense in delaying the purchase.

Quote:
And if Ford and Mahindra replicate the case of Duster and Terrano, do you recommend Ford or Mahindra? Thank you.
Regarding Mahindra - Ford tie up, in my view, Mahindra would be the gainer since it has bigger market share and is established player in this segment.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2019, 11:35   #7871
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaurabhB View Post
Hi all,

14. The clock in the music system frequently gets misaligned, giving wrong times,
15. Steering pulls to the left, so you have to hold the steering always (which is the way it should be),
engths which is ease of driving, long distance mile munching, street presence etc.
In my case the clock gets reset to show some time around 7:30am - I have set it to take the time input from GPS directly. Haven't found a solution for it, short of maybe disconnecting it from the GPS.

The pulling-to-the-left issue should be easy to fix with proper wheel alignment and balancing. I too was given the runaround for this issue, with ingenious arguments like - the road slopes to the left to drain the rain water and hence the vehicle drifts to the left, etc.

Finally, after much persistence, it was fixed with the help of the Cotec.
Old 30th September 2019, 09:47   #7872
BHPian

I have booked a W7 yesterday. Got a good discount and front fog lamps will be provided FOC.

The only other things I need are Alloys and Sidesteps. Should I go for Mahindra OEM ones or get it done outside. The dealer is quoting a bigger price than whats mentioned in m2all website. And would the steel wheels get a refund when switching?
Old 30th September 2019, 11:26   #7873
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arao View Post
In my case the clock gets reset to show some time around 7:30am - I have set it to take the time input from GPS directly. Haven't found a solution for it, short of maybe disconnecting it from the GPS.
The clock gets reset as the power is shut off after we move out of ACC mode. It then shows a default time till it can get the accurate time from GPS which only happens after a GPS lock is obtained by the sensor.
Old 30th September 2019, 15:16   #7874
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish3 View Post
I have booked a W7 yesterday. Got a good discount and front fog lamps will be provided FOC.
A friend is also considering the W7. What was the final discount that you could manage to get? We could negotiate a discount of 70k but felt it ought to be more given the dismal sales and upcoming transition to BS6.
Old 30th September 2019, 15:27   #7875
BHPian

Well, the costs in Bangalore are much higher than in Delhi, so the discounts will also be higher coz there's lot of room for negotiation. I think 70k is a good discount considering the price of the vehicle.

Most Viewed