Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2014, 21:12   #6046
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by undead View Post
Yes, It does interfere. I Know that too . But the bull bar was required to protect the headlights and the bumper from cyclists and two wheelers. I know its a negative point on safety measure. My apologies.

Let me post my XUV pic tomorrow.

I heard that there are front ABS guards which don't interfere with the ABS sensors. The model which i fitted is a popular one for XUV and Scorpio in tamilnadu.

I have installed the Rain visors too. But as you said. It has to be installed properly. The mahindra guys didn't do a good job with that. The visor interferes while opening the doors . The front door just touches the rear door visor and the black sticker on the front door gets damaged. These Mahindra guys cant seem to install the accessories properly.

At Max you will have to repaint your front bumper because of scratches. By installing Bull bars not only are you compromising your safety but you are also putting others life at risk since impact with bull bar can be fatal for pedestrians. Note that the bumper is designed to absorb impact and prevent fatalities to a certain extent
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2014, 00:40   #6047
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
At Max you will have to repaint your front bumper because of scratches. By installing Bull bars not only are you compromising your safety but you are also putting others life at risk since impact with bull bar can be fatal for pedestrians. Note that the bumper is designed to absorb impact and prevent fatalities to a certain extent
One thing i would like to add is that the rear bumper are so so strong that they can handle real abuse. I have faced it when i had my XUV in the initial days. I had to brake real hard due to this stupid rickshaw that stopped right in middle of the road. There was this wagon R that was following me and the guy was taking on phone hence he didnt got time to break so he ended up rear ending my XUV rear hard. While getting out of my car, i was scared that my car would have been real messed by now. However to my surprise, there was not even a scratch to my bumper. Infact, his car front bonnet was all messed up. The bonnet had caved in and the front bumper was hanging. To top it, i asked that guy weather this thing happened just now or was it like this before. To this, this poor guy said that this happened just now. So i would say that the rear bumpers are so strong that they can take everyday abuse easily.
Old 19th May 2014, 01:46   #6048
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulraxx View Post
Dear Friends,
5. While doing a test drive on the vehicle, I was trying to see how the micro-hybrid feature works, but after repeated attempts of toggling between the start/stop button, this feature just failed to work. The vehicle I test drove had done ~21,000 Kms only. Should I expect such issues to crop up often after the purchase ?

Awaiting your inputs.
The micro hybrid feature works if the switch is on before starting the ignition. ie, you switch on the feature, then switch off the ignition, remove the key, start the vehicle now. It will work. This is a quirk right from the scorpio days. Irrespective of the summer heat and bad blower design in the XUV, I extensively use the micro hybrid as it helps to save fuel.
Best regards
Bala
balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2014, 02:01   #6049
BHPian

Brake Noise issues - Posting this long post for 2 guys who had PMed me about similar issues. Suhas and another person. (By mistake I deleted their PMs) You guys need to take the vehicle to your nearest service center to get the brake noises cleared or you may get a step in your brake disc.

Posting after a long time as I didnt have net access at Mudumalai. Right from taking delivery to my stay in Kodai for a month, I had the squealing noise in my brakes especially in ascents and descents. On my drive bacck to Bangalore, didnt hear the noise. (Maybe because my AC was on and the abin is super silent with zero noise coming in)
next day on my way to Mudumalai from Bangalore, heard the noise while parking for lunch at Channapatna. By the time I crossed Mandya, the noise from the brakes became unbearable. I called up CAI Ooty as I planned to send the vehicle to them to check up next day. First question he asked me on phone was did you go over a newly tarred road? Coincidentally I had gone over a new patch of road work. He advised to drive the car in reverse and check. if the problem was not solved, take it to India garage at Mysore. By the time I reached India Garage, the left brake were wailing like a ambulance but still we couldnt hear anything inside the cabin. The service guys on hearing the sound knew what was the problem, removed the tyre, removed a rogue loose spring that had got into the brake pads, and was off to mudumalai before they closed the check post.

This seems to be a common problem, as the service guys seemed to be aware of the issue the moment I rolled in to the service center.
balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2014, 09:39   #6050
Senior - BHPian

Here is my XUV

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-20140519_081016-medium.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-20140519_081037-medium.jpg
undead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2014, 10:01   #6051
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by balan View Post
Brake Noise issues - ...
By the time I crossed Mandya, the noise from the brakes became unbearable. I called up CAI Ooty as I planned to send the vehicle to them to check up next day. First question he asked me on phone was did you go over a newly tarred road? Coincidentally I had gone over a new patch of road work. He advised to drive the car in reverse and check.

.... The service guys on hearing the sound knew what was the problem, removed the tyre, removed a rogue loose spring that had got into the brake pads, and was off to mudumalai before they closed the check post.

This seems to be a common problem, as the service guys seemed to be aware of the issue the moment I rolled in to the service center.
What was that loose spring that you mentioned? And where was it stuck? Between the brake-pad and the disc?
Old 19th May 2014, 10:07   #6052
Distinguished - BHPian

Has anyone tested the Microhybrid tech in both ON & OFF conditions? Want to know whether there is any real advantage / fuel savings.
Old 19th May 2014, 10:42   #6053
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
What was that loose spring that you mentioned? And where was it stuck? Between the brake-pad and the disc?
Sorry forgot the name (Almost a month a ago).
It was between the brakepad and disc.

Need Reverse Camera / sensors for my W4

I need to install a good reverse sensor / camera for the W4. I prefer the in OEM rearview mirror sensors given in scorpio VLX. Does anybody know where to get those as it was real nice and the rearview mirror was never dulled like the chinese models available in aftermarket.

Last edited by Zappo : 21st May 2014 at 16:29. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multiquote button to respond to multiple posts at one time.
balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2014, 01:36   #6054
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balan View Post
The micro hybrid feature works if the switch is on before starting the ignition. ie, you switch on the feature, then switch off the ignition, remove the key, start the vehicle now. It will work. This is a quirk right from the scorpio days. Irrespective of the summer heat and bad blower design in the XUV, I extensively use the micro hybrid as it helps to save fuel.
Best regards
Bala
You don't have to have the Hybrid switch "on" before starting the ignition. It can be turned on and off and back on during the same ignition cycle. It works flawlessly, you just have to meet the a few requirements for it to work.
- Start/Stop has to be activated (switched On)
- You should have crossed 2 kmph after the switch is activated
- Vehicle speed should be 0 kmph
- When stopped you should have the gear in neutral, the clutch and accelerator should be released
- Brake or handbrake applied
- Battery should be healthy (prevents battery from going dead)
- And the bonnet has to be closed

If you turn the ignition off with the Hybrid function "on," then it will be activated again at the next ignition automatically.

I can't vouch for how much it helps in saving fuel yet, but it functions well.

---------

I would like to thank each and every single member of Team-BHP for their valuable insight, opinions, and suggestions. And also would like to thank the moderators for approving my account. I hope to contribute at least a fraction of what this community has offered.

This great community has helped me make the decision to purchase an XUV500 W8 AWD Pearl White in April 2014 (Our first car in India). It was manufactured in March 2014. So far it has been a pleasure riding this beast.

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulraxx View Post
I was also told by the Sales executive that all the AWD's that have been sold from his dealership have had Bridgestones only. Is that the case ? Also, are the Bridgestones good or should I consider JK Tyres ?
I received my AWD with Apollo Tyres. When I looked around the dealership and the service center I saw many Bridgestone and Apollo Tyres. Asked around and they said they have not been getting any XUVs with JK Tyres because of several issues with them.

Last edited by Zappo : 21st May 2014 at 16:28. Reason: Please do not make back to back posts. Use the multiquote option to respond to many posts simultaneously. Posts merged.
falconion is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2014, 05:56   #6055

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconion View Post

I received my AWD with Apollo Tyres. When I looked around the dealership and the service center I saw many Bridgestone and Apollo Tyres. Asked around and they said they have not been getting any XUVs with JK Tyres because of several issues with them.
I happened to visit the plant last month and when I was at the section where tyres are fitted, I did see BS and JK as well. I also saw that they have different OEM's for the AC unit as well.
Old 20th May 2014, 06:58   #6056
BHPian

Yes, most of the XUV's come with Bridgestone or Apollo these days. Have heard from a friend who works at JK tyres that they receive a lot of complaints from the elanzo's on XUV's.
Old 20th May 2014, 07:35   #6057
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconion View Post
You don't have to have the Hybrid switch "on" before starting the ignition. It can be turned on and off and back on during the same ignition cycle. It works flawlessly, you just have to meet the a few requirements for it to work.

- Start/Stop has to be activated (switched On)

- You should have crossed 2 kmph after the switch is activated

- Vehicle speed should be 0 kmph

- When stopped you should have the gear in neutral, the clutch and accelerator should be released

- Brake or handbrake applied

- Battery should be healthy (prevents battery from going dead)

- And the bonnet has to be closed

If you turn the ignition off with the Hybrid function "on," then it will be activated again at the next ignition automatically.

I can't vouch for how much it helps in saving fuel yet, but it functions well.

---------

I would like to thank each and every single member of Team-BHP for their valuable insight, opinions, and suggestions. And also would like to thank the moderators for approving my account. I hope to contribute at least a fraction of what this community has offered.

This great community has helped me make the decision to purchase an XUV500 W8 AWD Pearl White in April 2014 (Our first car in India). It was manufactured in March 2014. So far it has been a pleasure riding this beast.

Thank you!

The start-stop sequence of events is correct except for the fact it is not required to press brake or apply handbrake.
Old 20th May 2014, 11:21   #6058
BHPian

wheel alignment and balancing

Can we get the wheel alignment and balancing done at local alignment centres or should the XUV alignment be done only at Mahindra ASC.

I heard that Tata Safari has some alignment settings which can be done only at their ASC, is it the same with XUV also?
Old 20th May 2014, 11:25   #6059
Team-BHP Support

Re: wheel alignment and balancing

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianNomad View Post
Can we get the wheel alignment and balancing done at local alignment centres or should the XUV alignment be done only at Mahindra ASC.

I heard that Tata Safari has some alignment settings which can be done only at their ASC, is it the same with XUV also?
Tata Safari DICOR Camber adjustment requires Shim removal etc., which is very complicated. Therefore, if your camber is out, its best to go to a workshop. If XUV Toe, caster and camber all three are adjusted by turning the nuts, then it can be done at any alignment center which is equipped to do alignment for alloy wheels
tsk1979 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th May 2014, 11:32   #6060
BHPian

Re: wheel alignment and balancing

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Tata Safari DICOR Camber adjustment requires Shim removal etc., which is very complicated. Therefore, if your camber is out, its best to go to a workshop. If XUV Toe, caster and camber all three are adjusted by turning the nuts, then it can be done at any alignment center which is equipped to do alignment for alloy wheels

In XUV only Toe can be adjusted. Also my RM mentioned it is better to do such in the authorised service centre

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks