Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2014, 12:44   #5821
BHPian

Guys,

I am wanting to fit a night vision reverse camera on my XUV Wanted help on the following :-

1. Which brand is the best.
2. I have heard that you cant fit it from external vendor as mahindra guys need to connect it to HU.
3. If I install camera only in the centre, will the OEM sensors on sides still operate(sorry but I lack knowledge on this).

Please advise
Old 15th April 2014, 12:55   #5822
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Recently there was a small crack in my W8 XUV's front windshield. Don't know the exact cause but may have been caused by a pebble hitting the windshield after ricocheting from a truck's tyre when my dad was driving. On taking the car to the service center, the RM insists on windshield replacement under insurance cover. I'm ok with the above advice but there also is a sensor replacement cost of Rs 4k plus sealant cost of 1k, apart from windshield cost of around 10k odd.
Does the sensors also need to be changed along with the windshield? I sensed a scam here but on taking the car to another A.S.S. in Ludhiana even they too are mentioning that the sensor needs to be replaced. Can anyone enlighten about the above statement? According to me the original sensor should work even on the new windscreen, unless it's permanently attached.

Last edited by abhinavinc : 15th April 2014 at 12:57.
Old 15th April 2014, 13:50   #5823
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinavinc View Post
Does the sensors also need to be changed along with the windshield?
Yes. XUV500 owner's manual says so twice, when dealing with rain and light sensor.

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-windshieldsensor.jpg

Last edited by J.Ravi : 15th April 2014 at 14:07.
  (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2014, 14:08   #5824
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandal View Post
Hi TaureanBull,

Thanks for the replies. Actually, I am budget limited, and originally, my budget for a "car" was max 11 Lacs. However, upon seeing the features and road presence, I felt the splurge could be justified to whim & fancy, but the W8 is out of my reach, unless I get a new job

W6 is very tempting because of:
1) Climate Control (not possible to install in W4)
2) Infotainment system (display)
3) Cruise Control
4) Embedded Antenna (I listen to a lot of radio)
5) Fog Lamps
6) 8 way adjustable drive seat. What is 8 way BTW?

I have been quoted 11.98L all inclusive for the W4 and 13.3 for the W6. 1.3 Lacs is a lot to me, and of course, if I could get the basic set of W6 goodies mentioned above for say 30k, this would be great. Of course, I am not including the cost of leather seats and alloys (since W6 doesn't have this also).

I am getting 15k worth of free accessories from dealer for W6 (nothing for W4), so 3k for camera, leaves 12k for either seats or alloys :( but then I am molesting my bank account
If 11 lakhs is your budget and looking for a car, go for honda city. If you want a XUV, then settle for W4 or W8. Dont go for the middle option. Its my personal opinion. I am not sure how good the climate control in W6 is. My XUV W4 takes a really long time to cool and by the time the inners are cool enough, the summer gets over. I think it is due to the absence of rear over head blowers and not because of the AC. The side blowers on the frames are of no use. My previous innova used to cool lot faster due to the equal spreading of the cool air by the over head blowers. I was in my friend's w6 and I felt it had the same problem of cooling. Even though the temp display was showing 23C, it felt a lot warmer in the back row.

Cruise control is something you would really like ( I loved it in my Scorpio) if you are on frequent long drives.

11.98 onroad in Bangalore is the standard rate. Browbeat the dealer(s) for more discount. Since I was in a urgent mode to get a vehicle, I didnt haggle much or make 2 dealers outbid themselves. I am sure if you play your cards right, you can get another 10 to 15K discount which will help you with your bank quote. And use SBM or SBI finance offered by the dealers plus go for the 0 depreciation insurance offered by the dealer at discounted rates. (all dealers are quoting higher and then offering disounted rates on haggling. It has become a nuisance.)
balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2014, 14:30   #5825
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Yes. XUV500 owner's manual says so twice, when dealing with rain and light sensor.

Attachment 1230407
My Scorpio manual seems to have missed this. When my windshield was replaced on account of damage I had to pick up the entire tab for the new sensor as the insurance did not cover it.
m_upreti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2014, 14:40   #5826
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balan View Post
11.98 onroad in Bangalore is the standard rate.
Balan, are you sure on this? I thought Bangalore OTR for W4 was around 13.2 lac. I remember a member quoting the same few posts back. If that was the case W6 will be around 14.5 lac in Bangalore.
Old 15th April 2014, 14:48   #5827
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandal View Post
Hi TaureanBull,

Thanks for the replies. Actually, I am budget limited, and originally, my budget for a "car" was max 11 Lacs. However, upon seeing the features and road presence, I felt the splurge could be justified to whim & fancy, but the W8 is out of my reach, unless I get a new job

W6 is very tempting because of:
1) Climate Control (not possible to install in W4)
2) Infotainment system (display)
3) Cruise Control
4) Embedded Antenna (I listen to a lot of radio)
5) Fog Lamps
6) 8 way adjustable drive seat. What is 8 way BTW?

Other features might not matter much to me.

2) Display (possible to install as you have said). What would be its cost from a Mahindra dealer?
3) Does installation of display and camera mean that I get a reverse display? Even the monochrome display works for this purpose? Is this what Mahindra calls "Intellipark", or is that only the audible beeping?
4) Alloys - problem solved
5) Leather seats - not a problem

I have been quoted 11.98L all inclusive for the W4 and 13.3 for the W6. 1.3 Lacs is a lot to me, and of course, if I could get the basic set of W6 goodies mentioned above for say 30k, this would be great. Of course, I am not including the cost of leather seats and alloys (since W6 doesn't have this also).

I am getting 15k worth of free accessories from dealer for W6 (nothing for W4), so 3k for camera, leaves 12k for either seats or alloys :( but then I am molesting my bank account
W6 is obviously next choice after W8 in my personal opinion. Yes all +ves as you have already indicated. 8 Point support as described by swiftnfurious.

I want to clarify that only the camera display can be installed. The infotainment screen can not be installed. Camera is for 3k, display need to be checked. Alternatively in case you need a GPS too then the camera display can be integrated in GPS too.

The camera display is for reverse camera so obviously you get a rear display. Intellipark is audio display as well as indicators on infotainment screen but NO rear display. The rear camera is installed on rear bumper between four audio sensors.

As a baseline you get what you pay for. W4 is equally competent as the basics are same. You will keep missing out features as you go down the models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
The first 6 should be these.

1. Move Front
2. Move Back
3. Move Up
4. Move Down
5. Move Backrest - Front
6. Move Backrest - Back

And rest two these?

7. Lumbar support - In ?
8. Lumbar support - Out ?
Thats the eight I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kARTIK IYER View Post
Guys,

I am wanting to fit a night vision reverse camera on my XUV Wanted help on the following :-

1. Which brand is the best.
2. I have heard that you cant fit it from external vendor as mahindra guys need to connect it to HU.
3. If I install camera only in the centre, will the OEM sensors on sides still operate(sorry but I lack knowledge on this).

Please advise
1. Need to research more. I have installed the mahindra one which does a good job in both day and night.

2. You can always circumvent that and get it installed from outside. Just ensure there is no tampering with cables.Not sure what advantages will you get by that.

3. Yes audio sensors do work.

Quote:
If 11 lakhs is your budget and looking for a car, go for honda city. If you want a XUV, then settle for W4 or W8. Dont go for the middle option. Its my personal opinion. I am not sure how good the climate control in W6 is. My XUV W4 takes a really long time to cool and by the time the inners are cool enough, the summer gets over. I think it is due to the absence of rear over head blowers and not because of the AC. The side blowers on the frames are of no use. My previous innova used to cool lot faster due to the equal spreading of the cool air by the over head blowers. I was in my friend's w6 and I felt it had the same problem of cooling. Even though the temp display was showing 23C, it felt a lot warmer in the back row.

Cruise control is something you would really like ( I loved it in my Scorpio) if you are on frequent long drives.

11.98 onroad in Bangalore is the standard rate. Browbeat the dealer(s) for more discount. Since I was in a urgent mode to get a vehicle, I didnt haggle much or make 2 dealers outbid themselves. I am sure if you play your cards right, you can get another 10 to 15K discount which will help you with your bank quote. And use SBM or SBI finance offered by the dealers plus go for the 0 depreciation insurance offered by the dealer at discounted rates. (all dealers are quoting higher and then offering disounted rates on haggling. It has become a nuisance.)
Honda city and XUV are two different leagues. W6 is a very competent vehicle if someone is on budget. W6 means getting the basics of security and features. The AC in XUV is very competent. W6 has same climate control as W8.
TaureanBull is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2014, 14:55   #5828
Senior - BHPian

Balan, 11.98 is not the standard rate at bangalore. As per the sources, breakup for XUV goes like this at Anant Cars, Bangalore

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-anant-cars-xuv-500-google-chrome.jpg

Last edited by benbsb29 : 16th April 2014 at 07:01. Reason: Request to delete post carried out. Plz use the Report Post button to notify a moderator if required.
Old 15th April 2014, 15:14   #5829
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
Balan, 11.98 is not the standard rate at bangalore. As per the sources, breakup for XUV goes like this at Anant Cars, Bangalore

Attachment 1230426
Sorry my mistake.
12.98 is the price I got the XUV W4 for, On the insurance straight away discount of 14000 and they offered 0 depreciation at 30K, corporate discount, exchange bonus and got 12.98
Old 15th April 2014, 15:23   #5830
BHPian

Squealing brakes:
Have taken delivery W4 on March 26th and driven to Kodaikanal on 31st March. Usually I drive around 4500km a month but April / May are lean months for me as I am usually holed up in Mudumalai or Kodai and dont drive much (10 to 15km day). During the drive to Kodai on the highway, there was kind of a rubbing noise like how a new engine makes. Midway during the trip the engine noises stopped but the brake noises started. On the highway when ever I pressed the brakes, there was lot of squealing noise and on the hills during ascent, it was continuing. After reaching Kodai, there hasnt been much driving. But during any turning on ascent / descent the brakes make squealing noise even though I am not applying the brakes. Really irritating and not sure what to do. Is there any DIY solution or I have to wait till first service to take to the service station?

Is there any roof mounted blowers for XUV like what is available for scorpio in the after market?
Old 15th April 2014, 15:25   #5831
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry my mistake.
12.98 is the price I got the XUV W4 for, On the insurance straight away discount of 14000 and they offered 0 depreciation at 30K, corporate discount, exchange bonus and got 12.98
Thanks for the correction Balan. I was wondering when did the price of XUV go down in Bangalore, since I was planning for one very soon.

I would have been the happiest person if that was the case. One sad thing is there is price rise for XUV of 20,000(if I am not wrong) in Bangalore from couple of days back.
Old 15th April 2014, 15:28   #5832
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderers View Post
Dear Vandal,

You may miss the seat height adjuster but remember W6 has steering tilt function and that should help.

Also if need height, while going for seat cover, you can always put extra foam (High Density)

Happy Shopping !
Wanderers,

Correction here,The W6 infact is equipped with the 8-way adjustable seats including height and lumbar adjust on the drivers side. Tilt steering is available as mentioned by you but lacks the telescopic steering adjustment in comparison to the W8.
ViPo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2014, 16:03   #5833
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
Thanks for the correction Balan. I was wondering when did the price of XUV go down in Bangalore, since I was planning for one very soon.

I would have been the happiest person if that was the case. One sad thing is there is price rise for XUV of 20,000(if I am not wrong) in Bangalore from couple of days back.
Even if they increase the price, the dealers are under pressure to sell. When I was haggling the price with Sireesh and India Garage, the Sireesh sales manager literraly cried on the phone saying India garage was giving low prices to destroy sireesh sales. So if you play your cards right, you can get a good discount. I had the Sireesh sales manager call me when I was discussing the price with the India garage sales executive. Make all the dealers outbid each each other.
balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2014, 22:56   #5834
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderers View Post
Dear Vandal,

My Family has W8.
But I would suggest W6 is best value for money.

Also I visited Mahindra dealer last week. They have lot of Inventories for W6, so negotiate hard. Threaten to take the XUV 500 from Pune.
Around 30K should be easily getable. Also please take insurance into your account and buy online.

You can buy the insurance from same company, who has your nearest service center tied up for cashless. On online insurance you try to get a dummy quote & give your correct mobile number and you would immediately get a call back offering further discount on online quote.

Regarding Features,
Monochrome display is very good, trust me, I like it better than Red display on W8.
Camera can be installed by Dealer only as its programmed

Intellipark is no great deal breaker.

Alloys & leather seat would be much cheaper outside & you can always buy later. Go for the basic W6 from budget point of view.

You may miss the seat height adjuster but remember W6 has steering tilt function and that should help.

Also if need height, while going for seat cover, you can always put extra foam (High Density)

Happy Shopping !
Dear Wanderers, thank you so much for your advice. Lot's of great leads for me to follow up on. I am still a bit away from plonking on the dough, but really want to get this right.

BTW does even govt. institutes like SBI, Oriental Insurance etc give discounts, or only private ones like ICICI etc??
SBI is best for loan? I am taking on EMI (with 3-4.5Lacs as down-payment)

I have got this quote from Gurgaon dealer FYI (I believe Gurgaon registration cheaper than Delhi).
XUVW6:
Ex-showroom: 11.91L
handling: 7.5k
TRC: 1k
Registration (Gurgaon): 1.01L
Insurance (normal): 47.7k (what does normal mean?)
Total: 13.30L
0% Dep: 7633
Scheme:
15k worth free accs
exchange: 15k
Loyalty: 1k ???? (not sure if he meant 10k, but I don't have another Mahindra, so cannot avail either ways)

I will skip the alloys/leather seats (maybe ask girlfriend to gift them ??)

The foam bit for the seats is again a new discovery for me, something I will look into. By the way, I am 5'8".

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
W6 is obviously next choice after W8 in my personal opinion. Yes all +ves as you have already indicated. 8 Point support as described by swiftnfurious.

I want to clarify that only the camera display can be installed. The infotainment screen can not be installed. Camera is for 3k, display need to be checked. Alternatively in case you need a GPS too then the camera display can be integrated in GPS too.

The camera display is for reverse camera so obviously you get a rear display. Intellipark is audio display as well as indicators on infotainment screen but NO rear display. The rear camera is installed on rear bumper between four audio sensors.

Honda city and XUV are two different leagues. W6 is a very competent vehicle if someone is on budget. W6 means getting the basics of security and features. The AC in XUV is very competent. W6 has same climate control as W8.
TaureanBull, thank you as well sir.

Some clarifications -

1) The camera display that can be installed (as an extra) is different from infotainment display?
2) If I get W6 and camera installed, infotainment system display is used for display of the rear camera feed? So I needn't buy another display, right?
3) If I get the W6 (which I am trying hard to), then will the GPS be integrated into the infotainment system?

On a different note, spoke to 2 XUV owners, they own a W6 and W8. W6 clocked 6k kms, W8 clocked 40k kms.
W6 person says service cost is about 10k every 5-10k kms, which is costlier than say a VW Vento.
W8 guy says amazingly low service cost, 20k totally, for last 40k kms, avg cost 3-5k per service.

Not sure who to believe. I would be clocking anywhere between 1500~2200 kms per month, maybe 3-4k kms. pm for the 1st couple of months so would like to know about this aspect. Any comments?

Last edited by Vandal : 15th April 2014 at 23:13.
Vandal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2014, 21:28   #5835
Team-BHP Support

They say most cars are made by their dealers. Probably it is true to a good extent. We have seen how competent cars were killed either by their dealers alone or the company and dealers together through their bad responses towards customers and their queries and issues. Skoda bore the brunt, so did Fiat.

Mahindra started it's story well and of course started succeeding as well. However, their dealers try all kinds of stunts to get them down. That has been the story from day one. Now it is getting worse I guess. With the success of XUV M&M is probably finding it harder to reign them in. I see it now more frequently. Multiple of my friends tell me how it has become difficult to get your simplest of things done in a day. Ones the XUV has gone for anything to the garage it just seems to sit there for at least 2 days if not more. Frankly this problem is something I also faced a couple of times if not more. Only that now I hear it more frequently.

Worse is the attitude of the sales teams. I am one of those guys who has given M&M XUV sales by the bag fulls. My company is a warehouse of XUVs so to say, many of them came in through me. Basically the cycle repeats every 6 months when a new lot wants to buy car under company policies and many of my acquaintances reach out to me. Now as long as they had a very down to earth and planted GM sales in one of the dealerships here in Hyd things were very different. Now, the story has reversed. Sample these,

1. A few months back I wanted 2 XUVs and 1 Rexton. Tried everything but hardly got much response. Finally had to interact with the local M&M guys here to get a favorable quote on the cars. While the XUVs could be closed, the next challenge was to get a Rexton for my Super Boss for TD. After lot of follow ups the dealership sent me a Rexton that was absolutely zero maintained. It had broken switches, misaligned wheels, seat belts that were cut with scissors into half, choked air filter that made the car breathless etc. That put paid to any hope of boss selecting the car! This is how they wanted to sell a premium car that costs 25 big ones on the road!

2. Fast Forward to the current situation. I again need two XUVs. Being cars under company policy once again some minor adjustments are needed in the price. I have been following up with the dealer here. After a lot many follow ups got a quote but that was promptly reversed in 2 days time as the dealer said all deals are off in April. And now I am again chasing them to get a quote but they just seem least bothered!

Now consider these guys to Toyota folks. They just realized once that two of guys are looking for a suitable car. They are following up on this once every day. They have twice sent Innova for a TD to office and are willing to bring it home also if needed. Where does that leave M&M? Well they will realize soon. XUV is not a Bolero that sales in the hinterlands to carry people, hanging out of all its orifices, between different villages. A premium car needs a lot more to sell. And when you show such indifference particularly to the sources from where you get regular sales (by the way, on last count, my office now has 25 XUVs) you are bound to suffer. Getting cocky based on a month's sale (last month M&M was one of the rare set of companies that gained YoY) is simply not an option.

Last edited by Zappo : 16th April 2014 at 21:33.
Zappo is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks