Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2014, 17:42   #5641
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
Are the side strips much useful? The body from the body strip area upwards is inside thereby reducing the chances of side scratches.

I am not too sure if I should be going in for the side strips. I don't find them appealing as far as aesthetics are concerned.
Well, there is no use as such for the side strips, but it certainly adds some relief to the otherwise plain sides. IMHO, the side looks very slab like even though there is a slight curvature on it. Adding the side strips seem to break the "monotony" a bit. It is not too expensive an accessory, so I would advise you to add it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasmadaan View Post
Hi, I am looking for rear parcel shelf for my XUV. Is it available as an accessory??
There are last row seats! Will you permanently keep them in the folded position? Why would you do that and add a parcel shelf? I haven't come across any such accessory anywhere, especially from Mahindra officially.

Last edited by Stryker : 28th February 2014 at 17:47.
Stryker is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2014, 19:29   #5642
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
There are last row seats! Will you permanently keep them in the folded position? Why would you do that and add a parcel shelf? I haven't come across any such accessory anywhere, especially from Mahindra officially.
Most of the times, the last row seats are folded down and are used only rarely. I believe there s an option for rear parcel tray in XUV as the slots are provided.. But i am not able to find any in the market
Old 3rd March 2014, 19:41   #5643
BHPian

In the last 20 days, i have had 2 trips to NCR on my XUV. The first one was to attend the Auto Expo on 9th Feb with my friend and the second one just a couple of days ago with my wife and kid to attend a marriage in faridabad.
Overall, both the journeys have been fantastic (first one more so for obvious reasons )
It took around 8 hrs in total from amritsar to delhi and about the same time on the way back. The seats are a boon for the driver due to the excellent support that it provides. Absolutely no aching back or thighs after such a long journey.
The back seats were also pretty comfortable (feedback by my wife)
We made a bed by moving the front passenger seat fully forward, removing the headrest and completely laying down the passenger backrest so that it touches the rear seat. It made for a most comfortable position. Wife and kid were very happy.

- The icing on the cake was the FE that i got: 17.7 for te round trip journey 2nd time and 17.3 the first time..
- Cruise control was used to its fullest successfully on the highways.
- The next big trip planned is either to Goa or Ladakh in sep. Hopefully it gets materialized.
- My beast has travelled 8200 kms so far in 4 months.
manasmadaan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th March 2014, 10:49   #5644
BHPian

Took a test drive of the W8 AWD yesterday. I felt that the gearshift quality was OK, but a little long, especially the reverse. Did not feel much problem while shifting to 1st or 2nd. Maybe I had kept the expectation lower for a Mahindra vehicle. Found that the suspension to be a bit softer for my liking. The steering feel was OK, again better than I expected. The space is simple amazing for the first and second row, third row is OK for the purpose. The test drive vehicle was pretty old but inspite of that, it gave a feeling that things are put together pretty well. I'm tempted and may take the plunge in 2-3 months time, to get a W8 AWD as I want atleast an AWD when I buy an SUV. Currently I drive a Santro and a Figo diesel.
Old 4th March 2014, 12:16   #5645
Distinguished - BHPian

XUV500 driven by Sunny Sidhu came overall first in the recently concluded Desert Storm 2014. Though the rally vehicle is much different from the off the shelf variety it is a interesting feat. The car was prepared and tuned at Red Rooster, Bangalore.
Old 4th March 2014, 14:11   #5646
BHPian

Quote:

- The icing on the cake was the FE that i got: 17.7 for te round trip journey 2nd time and 17.3 the first time..
How do you guys get FE's in such range? I've done several long drives but the FE on MID never went beyond 13.5 - 14 kmpl and FE on full tank basis never touched even 13 kmpl
Old 4th March 2014, 16:04   #5647
BHPian

Quote:
17.7 for te round trip journey 2nd time and 17.3 the first time..
- Cruise control was used to its fullest successfully on the highways.
I suppose that higher FE is with usage of Cruise Control. What was the speed setting then.

What's the speed range available for Cruise Control in XUV500?
Old 4th March 2014, 17:41   #5648
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiny View Post
There's no speed range.
It's above 1200 rpm
dhanushmenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2014, 18:45   #5649
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I suppose that higher FE is with usage of Cruise Control. What was the speed setting then.

Lemme answer this on Dr.Manas' behalf... In the entire route, you encounter good roads/ 4-laned highway, except few stretches Punjab. Moreover, due to rigorous speed checking, you can't drive over 90 kmph (maybe 100 in few stretches). Yes there are many big cities in between, but if you start early, you can cross these comfortably, otherwise you may get struck in jams.

However, these - 17+kmpl, are excellent numbers which can be used by the company to advertise.
Old 4th March 2014, 18:45   #5650
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIndian View Post
How do you guys get FE's in such range? I've done several long drives but the FE on MID never went beyond 13.5 - 14 kmpl and FE on full tank basis never touched even 13 kmpl
There are multiple factors

1. PSI in tyres
2. Load in the car
3. Accelaration style
4. Braking style
5. Usage of cruise control
6. A/C usage

Unless you manage to hit a sweet spot with respect to all these, you may NOT manage the BEST FE.

Edit:: If you manage to decelarate smoothly without applying brakes much, that itself will give you a good gain with respect to FE. I have noticed this myself; with heavy acceleration or braking, you fuel needle comes down really quick!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 4th March 2014 at 18:46. Reason: Added "Edit" portion
Old 4th March 2014, 22:30   #5651
BHPian

Hello Everyone

This is my first post on team-bhp, definitely feels good. I have taken delivery of a black XUV W4 last Friday. The car feels great and completely per my expectations. On the very first day was faced with 2 seemingly related issues - Door Open warning continuously flashing accompanied by the warning sound and Security alarm going off every few minutes. Had to rush the vehicle to the ASC as the neighborhood was filled with the frequent shrill of the security alarm. The problem was diagnosed due to tail gate not pressing enough on the sensor, required a few firm hammer hits on the joint. Both issues seem to be resolved now. Otherwise the experience has been great, and I am really happy to have chosen the XUV over the Terrano and even my all time favourite - Thar CRDe(it is going to be my second car for sure)
Old 5th March 2014, 10:40   #5652
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIndian View Post
I used cruise control mostly with speed between 90 - 100 km/hr.
The use of brakes and clutch was to the minimum.
And these FE values are based on MID, not tank to tank so actual FE might be a bit less.

Quote:

Cruise control can be engaged at speed above 60 km/hr

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Lemme answer this on Dr.Manas' behalf... In the entire route, you encounter good roads/ 4-laned highway, except few stretches Punjab. Moreover, due to rigorous speed checking, you can't drive over 90 kmph (maybe 100 in few stretches). Yes there are many big cities in between, but if you start early, you can cross these comfortably, otherwise you may get struck in jams.

However, these - 17+kmpl, are excellent numbers which can be used by the company to advertise.
Thumbs up to your reply
The roads in haryana are good and you can mantain a constant speed.
Moreover, due to speed checking, i mantained it below 100 km/hr.
manasmadaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2014, 10:52   #5653
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thumbs up to your reply
The roads in haryana are good and you can mantain a constant speed.
Moreover, due to speed checking, i mantained it below 100 km/hr.
Manas

I am a native of Hoshiarpur & there are lots of relatives in Doaba, whom we visit at times thus I have fair bit of idea of the roads.

However, this does not takes away the credit from your driving skills, as I have observed that many drivers start moving at red lights & from parking at high RPMs/ speed, this does affect the fuel efficiency negatively. There are fuel saving habits that you seem to be following when driving alongwith few features of the XUV500 that were helpful to you in achieving good numbers.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2014, 10:57   #5654
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Manas

I am a native of Hoshiarpur & there are lots of relatives in Doaba, whom we visit at times thus I have fair bit of idea of the roads.

However, this does not takes away the credit from your driving skills, as I have observed that many drivers start moving at red lights & from parking at high RPMs/ speed, this does affect the fuel efficiency negatively. There are fuel saving habits that you seem to be following when driving alongwith few features of the XUV500 that were helpful to you in achieving good numbers.
Thanks cardeep. Surely, maintaining good driving habits as mentioned above help in maximising the FE. And various features of XUV do help a lot
Old 5th March 2014, 11:36   #5655
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Last week completed my Jaisalmer trip in my Cheetah (second trip for her). She loves to drive on long beautiful roads of Rajasthan. Putting few pics of her (and me too ).

Can you please give me some details on your alloys. Which brand is it and where can i find one?

Last edited by gurudutt : 5th March 2014 at 11:37.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks