Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2013, 18:45   #4606
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisu View Post
I got the Dolphin Grey colour. Looks very elegant IMO.

As regards the ownership thread, I don't have the finesse of writing at all. Me writing would be like asking a Drunk to fly an Airbus with his head on fire!!!

So to summarize, if I end up putting together an ownership log, the end results would be disastrous.

I do have some pictures of the car during PDI and just after delivery. Adding them here!
Congrats and welcome to Truckers club

Hope to see you less in the other thread of XUV
nitinralli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2013, 21:19   #4607
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Congrats and welcome to Truckers club

Hope to see you less in the other thread of XUV
Thanks Nitin! Really dig your alloys. Would've troubled you for the source had I gone for the W6 which I had come pretty close to finalizing. In fact changed the booking to W8 2 days before the delivery.

Regarding the niggles and issues, fingers Crossed. No issues yet.

Hope to see you around for any T-BHP meets in Delhi/NCR.
Sisu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2013, 21:24   #4608
BHPian

I am due to take delivery of dolphin grey W8 AWD in next few days.

Lets see what I get plastic or metal guard.
Urban Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2013, 21:40   #4609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Nomad View Post
I am due to take delivery of dolphin grey W8 AWD in next few days.

Lets see what I get plastic or metal guard.
Most likely it'll be a plastic gaurd only. Mahindra has not changed the gaurd for the exisiting stock at dealerships. Only the new stock from the factory is said to have this gaurd. Hope you are getting the 33k benefit on your booking.

That said, congratulations on your new XUV.

Cheerz
Old 22nd July 2013, 21:55   #4610
BHPian

It's a company lease but quotation did mentioned discount of 27000
Old 23rd July 2013, 09:13   #4611
BHPian

Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

Hi, I experienced a very dissappointing experience when trying to book XUV in Bangalore, that too 2 of them, eventually I did, but before finalizing I had to do a lot of bargaining, it was worse than buying vegetables.

The worst part is the Insurance and Bank Loan. Coming to the first one, the official prointed cost of Insurance is 53,783, but once you start scratching, there is a drop of 10%, if you persist, it comes down to 20%, since I had been smart when buying my Fortuner, where I saved nearly 25K, I got private quote, guess what!!!, the dealer made an offer to match it, which was 23K less, regarding bank loan, I had got a better loan than what was advertised as I had a friend, the dealer offered to better it, that took the cake. I was then told that they have cut in everything, even from Nationalized banks, there is discount on registration charges too, so anyone going to buy a car, please don't be fooled by the breakup and other things, all are bogus, they will also accuse one another of selling fake spares and other issues, I do not want to spell it out and create an issue, as Mahindra is never interested. Finally, we paid nearly 30 K less and also got 22k worth accessories. Mahindra reducing the price by 33k, please add the 50+ K we saved, it was a good buy. Please do take any dealer by face value, that too Insurance, they have nearly a 50% margin, and I can prove that
Rajesh1968 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2013, 09:35   #4612
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh1968 View Post
Hi, I experienced a very dissappointing experience when trying to book XUV in Bangalore,

... Finally, we paid nearly 30 K less and also got 22k worth accessories. Mahindra reducing the price by 33k, please add the 50+ K we saved, it was a good buy. Please do take any dealer by face value, that too Insurance, they have nearly a 50% margin, and I can prove that
You seem to have managed to get a good deal after bargaining, which is a standard practice when the sales are down.
Why is this a very disappointing experience?

Last edited by SDP : 23rd July 2013 at 09:40.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2013, 09:40   #4613
BHPian

If the sales are down they should have been more enterprising, but they expected you to ask, when they offered 10% dioscount, which was 5.5K, when I got a quote of 32K, they readily agreed without any resistance, which was nearly 40-45%, unfortunately, I had signed when my friend sent me a quote which at 28K, which was 50% less, but did want to haggle. I still have the valid quote if anyone is interested

Last edited by Rajesh1968 : 23rd July 2013 at 09:43.
Old 23rd July 2013, 09:49   #4614
SDP
Team-BHP Support

^^ As someone said, there are 4 types of buyers - Stupid-Rich, Stupid-Poor, Smart-Rich and Smart-Poor. The "sales" folks count on maximum business and margins with the first category. So they assume you to be belonging to the first category till you show them that you are actually a well-informed smart buyer.

Again, no surprises there. Standard business practice.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2013, 13:08   #4615
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh1968 View Post
Hi, I experienced a very dissappointing experience when trying to book XUV in Bangalore, that too 2 of them, eventually I did, but before finalizing I had to do a lot of bargaining, it was worse than buying vegetables.

The worst part is the Insurance and Bank Loan. Coming to the first one, the official prointed cost of Insurance is 53,783, but once you start scratching, there is a drop of 10%, if you persist, it comes down to 20%, since I had been smart when buying my Fortuner, where I saved nearly 25K, I got private quote, guess what!!!, the dealer made an offer to match it, which was 23K less, regarding bank loan, I had got a better loan than what was advertised as I had a friend, the dealer offered to better it, that took the cake. I was then told that they have cut in everything, even from Nationalized banks, there is discount on registration charges too, so anyone going to buy a car, please don't be fooled by the breakup and other things, all are bogus, they will also accuse one another of selling fake spares and other issues, I do not want to spell it out and create an issue, as Mahindra is never interested. Finally, we paid nearly 30 K less and also got 22k worth accessories. Mahindra reducing the price by 33k, please add the 50+ K we saved, it was a good buy. Please do take any dealer by face value, that too Insurance, they have nearly a 50% margin, and I can prove that
Negotiations happen at every car dealership, every dealership from Maruti to Bentley negotiates. What's wrong with it?

Last month i negotiated a good deal on a XUV-500 w8 2wd for my sister's family. It all started from zero and in the end we could manage good amount of freebies and discount on insurance.

For Insurance, every dealer has big fat margin, it's just that some of them are actually willing to discount it a bit to make a sale. It was always negotiable. I have never paid full insurance amount for any of the cars i have bought till date, and for all the cars i have helped friends decide. Examples- Few months back i got my own Insurance from some independent agent for my cousin's Duster. It was much lower than the quote dealer gave to us. For my friend's Rexton, we got the selling dealership to match the best quote we got in the market.

I frequently come across who successfully negotiate lakhs off asking price from companies like Mercedes, Audi and BMW. These discounts never make it to advertisements just to preserve their image, they are just offered to serious looking buyers who negotiate.

Last edited by .anshuman : 23rd July 2013 at 13:10.
.anshuman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2013, 14:32   #4616
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Another one:

Dear Purple Club Member,
When an event has already captured the imagination of adventure seekers
in the country, you know you can’t miss its next edition. And Purple Club is
giving you the opportunity to be a part of Mahindra Adventure’s Monastery
Escape. The 10-day expedition promises excitement and adventure as
you maneuver the snaky roads from Delhi to Srinagar via Leh.
Don’t miss out! Register today for the Monastery Escape.
Limited Seats Book now
Dates: 24th July – 3rd August 2013
Route: Delhi – Leh – Srinagar
For further enquiries, contact:
Veissali Kapoor +91 9910517474
Nitin Yadhav +91 9911402692
Team Purple Club

I have been thinking about the Monastery Escape for quite some time, as I have seen many travelogues of fellow members, and the pics just look so tempting.
Though, I just got a great package deal for Leh for 7N 8D and I just jumped on that and flew to Leh within a short notice of 2 days. I just came back today morning, and I feel that I would love to do this once more in my XUV now.

boss give me an off for 10 more days!
Old 23rd July 2013, 14:34   #4617
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisu View Post
Would've troubled you for the source had I gone for the W6 which I had come pretty close to finalizing. In fact changed the booking to W8 2 days before the delivery.

Regarding the niggles and issues, fingers Crossed. No issues yet.

Hope to see you around for any T-BHP meets in Delhi/NCR.
Congratulations Sisu for the new ownership. Good choice and nice pics. Any particular reason for shifting from W6 to W8 ? I have a W8 but then I always was checking up the same version so not really paid any attention to the W6 or the difference between these two variants.
yogibear007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2013, 15:07   #4618
Senior - BHPian

Took an extended test drive of the XUV5OO AWD. In one word....Superb.

Drove the XUV on broken roads and then on a express way. In both conditions, the ride quality is just amazing. One broken surfaces, the suspension/chassis takes the entire impact and sends nothing in to the cabin. On the highway, the ride is settled. There is no hint that you are travelling in a SUV. You can sit in the XUV for hours. The suspension is so well done. The excellent suspension set up combined with superb seat support means you can tour in a XUV for hours. Acres of space for the front and middle row passengers. Did not bother with the third row.

As for the engine, clutch and gearbox, a lot of credit for the engine but the reason for this is AVL, Austria. The engine in the XUV and Aria are clones. It is quiet on the inside and when you pop the hood. I found it quieter than VW engines. Refinement is superb for a Mahindra. Power delivery is towards linear, not neck snapping. I prefer this sort of power delivery. Though it felt plenty powerful, I felt the XUV could do with more power. 140kmph at 4000rpm and with a couple more gears to go, the engine is super relaxed. Should be very efficient too. The gearbox felt clunky to use and the clutch felt springy. Felt I would stall the XUV but managed not to. Could be specific to the car as it had 16000km on the odometer. Talking about speed, there was no hint of nervousness even when driven at the speeds I tried. You can go a little faster in a XUV and still feel safe.

Brakes felt like they were catching the front wheels harder. Would have liked better modulation between front and back anchors.

The steering can weigh up better at speed. For the most part its great and more so considering this is a Mahindra.

As for toys, you name it and its there. Had a first hand experience of the rain sensing wipers and they worked without a hitch. A short while into the drive and it started pouring. I was instructed to push a button on the left stalk to activate the wipers after which they went about their work based on intensity of rain. Brilliant. Bluetooth worked on the first attempt and music was streaming to the system from my phone without a hitch. The stereo is average. Could do with better speakers considering the asking price for this car and the fact that it is already loaded to the gills. The touch screen response was good.

I like the color combination and texture of plastics used on the interiors. Most of the plastics are well turned out. I liked the soft click note for the automatic door locks. Mahindra have used rubber grips behind the door grab handles so your hands do not slip while trying to shut those heavy doors. Little things like these make a world of a difference.

Ignoring everything I've read on the niggles thread, the XUV is just incredible. Just could not believe I was driving a Mahindra. Way to go.
sandeepmohan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2013, 15:18   #4619
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogibear007 View Post
Congratulations Sisu for the new ownership. Good choice and nice pics. Any particular reason for shifting from W6 to W8 ? I have a W8 but then I always was checking up the same version so not really paid any attention to the W6 or the difference between these two variants.
Thanks for your Compliments YogiBear!!!

Well the W6 has everything that one expects in a vehicle including some fancy bells and whistles which you don't see in cars even priced a bit higher. The W8 on the other hand is loaded to the gills with features but is pricier by ~1.8 Lacs compared to the W6.

Let me enlighten you on the differences between the two (at the risk of being corrected/contradicted by the Gyaani's of this wonderful community.
  • W6 gets 2 Airbags while W8 has 6 - Not Important to me
  • Infotainment system is coloured with a touchscreen interface capable of playing dvds while the W6 gets a monochrome display - Somewhat Important to me
  • Leather Uplholstery on the W8 while fabric seats on the W6 - Not Important to me
  • No Hill Hold, Hill Descent Feature and ESP on the W6 while present on the W8 - Somewhat Important to me
  • Alloy wheels with TPMS on the W8 while Atrocious looking Steel Wheels on the W6 - MOST IMPORTANT TO ME

My initial apprehension was to stay away from Mahindra designed electronics as these are the parts most susceptible to failure and problems. So the obvious choice was a W6 which is available in my colour of choice (Dolphin Grey). I would have just changed the alloys upon purchase as I absolutely despise the Steel Rims with wheel caps on a 13~14 Lac car.

Anyhow, when we walked into the showroom to finalize the finance options 2 days before delivery, there was a Grey W8 parked there and we just fell in love with it. Upgraded the booking to a W8 and rest is history. It was a spur of the moment decision.

I do however have a sneaky feeling that I would've been equally happy with a W6 with some monster aftermarket alloys too.
Sisu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2013, 15:42   #4620
BHPian

I bargained and seriously played up one dealer over the other, got all the accessories FOC, including side step except the Chrome Allure, as one of the service advisors mentioned it is a stick on and if one gets picked might have to change the set. If you are in Bangalore the total cost would have 16.45, with Corporate Discount of 8K. If needed will help you out

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks