Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2013, 06:44   #4231
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
I have also booked at TVS cochin. So i think we are on the same boat. I have asked the dealer to get me the VIN number. Also they are claiming too much pressure from the management that atleast a part payment is required to keep the vehicle blocked...Else it might get re-alloted.

FundaG
Hi Fundagenie, guess you had a terrible experience with TVS. If this is the case in Kochi, I'm sure Kottayam would be worse (I'm also planning to book one ).

Just a few questions -

1. I know you had issues in getting your VIN. But did you get your VIN before making full payment?

3. Are there any accessories from the dealer that you would recommend?
Old 27th March 2013, 13:21   #4232
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajohn View Post
Hi Fundagenie, guess you had a terrible experience with TVS. If this is the case in Kochi, I'm sure Kottayam would be worse (I'm also planning to book one )....
I think both of you should post your problems on the XUV facebook page. People who did it definitely got some quick resolutions!
Old 28th March 2013, 11:14   #4233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajohn View Post
Hi Fundagenie, guess you had a terrible experience with TVS. If this is the case in Kochi, I'm sure Kottayam would be worse (I'm also planning to book one ).

Just a few questions -

1. I know you had issues in getting your VIN. But did you get your VIN before making full payment?

3. Are there any accessories from the dealer that you would recommend?

IT was a disaster. Something that will always be in my memory for quite sometime. I got my first service done at Trivandrum TVS and have to say it was not really helpful with none of the issues sorted out. Since I am now in Bangalore, have to say my worries with TVS are over. I use Anant Cars here and have to admit they changed the entire perspective I had regarding Mahindra service centres. These guys are outright professional, helpful and even their customer lounge is really a treat.

Coming to the VIN number, I had to fight to get it. Initially the sales person said that as per their policy it was not meant to be shared. Later after a lot of pressure, I got it before making the full payment. But then there was an issue with the vehicle not being present at their Kochi yard for inspection though I was forced to pay some advance amount to ensure the vehicle is kept at the kochi yard. This led to some argument with the sales person saying they allot vehicles on some first come basis and the VIN number provided may not be matching. However, it matched when the vehicle finally came.

Accessories: the only one I brought from TVS was the illuminated sill plates for the door. Wanted to get the reverse camera. But they were quoting 10000Rs both at tvm and kochi. Out here in Anant cars the cost is just Rs3000 odd. Have no idea why the camera there is expensive.. HD quality ...
I got 3d mats from outside. Wanted to fix the door steps but then dropped the idea considering the loss of ground clearance and none of my family actually missing it. If you have plans to fix it, I had seen some better 3rd party options at lesser costs.

One advise is pls dont get their insurance from Royal Sundaram. I made a mistake here. Price vise am sure this was higher and I was ok with it since they mentioned with this one I would not have to pay anything upfront in case of a claim. But it was only later when I did have a claim in bangalore, i realised this point was applicable only within Kerala. So better to get some other insurance which covers this point across India and at a lesser quote.

Outright, I felt TVS is not upto mark neither at TVM or Kochi and Kottayam wont be any better. But being in Kerala, there is no other option, right. So you will have to handle them accordingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I think both of you should post your problems on the XUV facebook page. People who did it definitely got some quick resolutions!
Had posted in the facebook page as well as tweeted to Mr. Anand Mahindra at the time. Infact, I got the car in 3 months due to this. TVS went back on their promise of delivering within 3 months by stating later that the waiting period was 8-9 months and if I was not interested I could cancel the booking.

FundaG
fundagenie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2013, 17:29   #4234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post

Coming to the VIN number, I had to fight to get it. Initially the sales person said that as per their policy it was not meant to be shared. Later after a lot of pressure, I got it before making the full payment. But then there was an issue with the vehicle not being present at their Kochi yard for inspection though I was forced to pay some advance amount to ensure the vehicle is kept at the kochi yard. This led to some argument with the sales person saying they allot vehicles on some first come basis and the VIN number provided may not be matching. However, it matched when the vehicle finally came.
Thank You for your reply - I'm gearing up for the worst experience ( I've already gotten in touch with the Area Sales Manager from Mahindra, as a precautionary measure in case TVS tries to pull a fast one) .

Had a doubt while going through your post - Did you get to do a PDI? Also, do they let folks choose the car from the lot? ( As their logic for VIN was that is allotted on first come first basis)
Old 28th March 2013, 18:47   #4235
Senior - BHPian

Little OT: Last night watched "The Attack of 26/11" by Ram Gopal Verma. To my surprise and showing Directors class, there was this scene when 2 terrorist are entering Leopold Cafe and just at the entrance of the cafe is parked Moondust silver XUV 5oo W8

Hello Rammu, I didnt knew you were the original scoop master

Last edited by nitinralli : 28th March 2013 at 18:51.
nitinralli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2013, 19:06   #4236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Informal news: Mahindras are working on some sort of retractable screen. The sun-film ban has triggered the move. Most likely this would be provided as an accessory.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Yes it will be illegal if they come up with same retractable net you get for each cars these days. And Mahindra would not be able to provide door-panel design since it cost a lot so i guess it would not happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
I think it won't be illegal as it can be used when needed and lowered when needed for inspection thereby giving both advantages. It is upto the users to decide when best to use it, when on uninterrupted highways or in stop/go city traffic so traffic cops won't get distressed. Quite a few upmarket cars come with factory-fitted ones, e.g. Merc C220. By providing as an accessory, they are giving a good pricing option to customers than make it mandatory to pay for them to be factory-fitted. I do hope that even if it is an accessory, the door and the screen designs gel well to look like factory-fit and not some after-market kit. It will atleast remove the need for the black stick-on blinds.
Are the retractable screens as accessory like this one from SunTeck? If it is, I doubt if it will be illegal, it can be easily retracted or kept retracted when needed. The below one is the one I saw installed on an Innova on all 4 windows and they seem stick and work well.

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-sunteck-retractable-door-sunshade-1.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-sunteck-retractable-door-sunshade-2.jpg

I am going to inquire and acquire for my Innova when I catch the owner next time.
Old 28th March 2013, 19:11   #4237
BHPian

Been a year and half since Ive been using my XUV.

Worried now about the mileage. My city mileage is around 9.5 kmpl. I initially got 11 , and has come down drastically. I have heard stories of 13-15 for some XUVs , but i dont know the truth in those claims.

How is others XUVs fairing in city rides.

( I havent done the accurate point to point mileage checks. This reading is from the info system in the car. I think its far or less accurate considering that 90% of my use is inside Blore city )
Old 28th March 2013, 19:15   #4238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
Are the retractable screens as accessory like this one from SunTeck? If it is, I doubt if it will be illegal, it can be easily retracted or kept retracted when needed. The below one is the one I saw installed on an Innova on all 4 windows and they seem stick and work well.

Attachment 1066940

Attachment 1066941

I am going to inquire and acquire for my Innova when I catch the owner next time.
These shades are available from past few years now. I have these in my sokda fabia and innova from 3 years now. They cost around 2-3k for each window.
And yes these are illegal and a cop would fine you if he sees it ON. Unless you are quick enough to roll them down when you see a cop.
nitinralli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2013, 19:31   #4239
BHPian

Have a doubt to ask, does the blower speed of the A/c have a constant speed. I get a feeling it slows down and speeds up frequently without any input (I don't have the a/c in auto mode, purely in manual mode only). I get this same feeling from my split a/c in my home, so its kinda weird.

Also does the "battery" indicator in the instrument cluster take a few extra seconds to switch off after the vehicle is started in cold-crank condition. I am not sure if this was the case when I bought the car. Can someone please help. Thanks.
Old 28th March 2013, 20:14   #4240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
Been a year and half since Ive been using my XUV.

Worried now about the mileage. My city mileage is around 9.5 kmpl. I initially got 11 , and has come down drastically. I have heard stories of 13-15 for some XUVs , but i dont know the truth in those claims.

How is others XUVs fairing in city rides.

( I havent done the accurate point to point mileage checks. This reading is from the info system in the car. I think its far or less accurate considering that 90% of my use is inside Blore city )
I having been getting 13 +- in city till now. Mine too is 1 and half year old XUV and never ever it went below 12.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandtheleo View Post
Have a doubt to ask, does the blower speed of the A/c have a constant speed. I get a feeling it slows down and speeds up frequently without any input (I don't have the a/c in auto mode, purely in manual mode only). I get this same feeling from my split a/c in my home, so its kinda weird.

Also does the "battery" indicator in the instrument cluster take a few extra seconds to switch off after the vehicle is started in cold-crank condition. I am not sure if this was the case when I bought the car. Can someone please help. Thanks.
Not sure about the blower thing, but the battery indicator does remain a second longer than rest of the signs, especially in winters, so no worries.
nitinralli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2013, 10:50   #4241
BHPian

Quote:
In manual mode the fan speed will not change. Only in auto mode the speed will change depending on the temperature you have set and if there is increase in cabin temperature than what is set or the vehicle front is facing the sun and it is hot.
krishnaraja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2013, 12:35   #4242
BHPian

Cheaper variant of XUV

Found this article on rediff which anounces the launch of cheaper and expensive variants of XUV 500. Have a look.

http://www.rediff.com/business/slide...s/20130329.htm
Old 29th March 2013, 13:04   #4243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Not sure about the blower thing, but the battery indicator does remain a second longer than rest of the signs, especially in winters, so no worries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnaraja View Post
In manual mode the fan speed will not change. Only in auto mode the speed will change depending on the temperature you have set and if there is increase in cabin temperature than what is set or the vehicle front is facing the sun and it is hot.
Thanks guys, what I meant to say about the blower problem can be found in a few cars where when we move from standstill the RPM falls momentarily when we leave the clutch and start accelerating, at that time the blower speed falls temporarily and comes back to the original speed once the vehicle starts moving. I see this happen in my i10, but this happens only when starting from standstill.

The same kinda of fluctuation for a few secs is seen in the XUV but this is happening randomly at all speeds and also during idling without even touching the clutch.
Old 29th March 2013, 20:08   #4244
Senior - BHPian

For all those who have been blaming XUV for having stiff suspension, here is what happened last night.

I was driving back from office late at night at a cruising speed of 80-90. There was a white Honda city (new model) following me almost at the same speed. All of a sudden on a left curve, i saw that the road had collapsed quite a bit and before i could make any decision, my left side wheel went over that portion of the road and BANG, the front wheel took a massive jerk and i was all shaken.

However, when i looked into my rearveiw mirror, i saw the same honda city going over that same portion of the road, and to my horror, the car flew in air, then came down with bumper taking the full impact when it landed back. Then driver lost control and car filliped and turned turtle. I stopped to check them out, thank fully the guys were alive with few injuries. Called PCR and they came in a while.

Now what i realized is that having a stiff suspension made me get out of that situation easily. If i had a softer suspension like honda (no offence) i could have been in the same situation.
nitinralli is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 30th March 2013, 10:05   #4245
BHPian

Quote:
The same kinda of fluctuation for a few secs is seen in the XUV but this is happening randomly at all speeds and also during idling without even touching the clutch.
I am not automobile expert but I feel you need to take XUV to service to get it working properly. For a 2200cc motor this should not happen. It is expected in i10 or even in i20 and swift or anything below 1500cc. For this car this requires attention.
krishnaraja is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks