Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2012, 08:05   #3286
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkytalks View Post
But wont it mean the AC gets switched off?

Even on my test drive, when the chap was explaining how the start stop worked - we were halted at a signal and with the engine off, I started sweating - and had to restart the engine manually to get the AC blowing again.

Having an AC and not availing of it doesnt make much sense - life is hot enough when AC is not available when walking or cycling
So very true. I sometimes roll down the windows when possible (not in rains) and/or let the fan/blower ON at high speed which does not require engine to be running (also not a good idea to do so for very long time to be running on battery). A bit of discomfort, yes, but we bear it when required especially when the signals are bit long.
Old 10th September 2012, 08:24   #3287
Senior - BHPian

Has any XUV owner noticed the car vibrating (with a booming noise) under heavy acceleration from lower RPMs?
Old 10th September 2012, 09:00   #3288
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Has any XUV owner noticed the car vibrating (with a booming noise) under heavy acceleration from lower RPMs?
Yes this is an XUV trait. Its more Innova-ish here at low RPMs than like the Scorpio. Noticed this during a test drive I took and exists on my vehicle as well. The sense of 'vibration' here is the Torque Steer effect in the FWD.
NIP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2012, 15:34   #3289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
The OTR price for W8 FWD might have crossed 16 Lakh Rs now. The way M&M is increasing prices of XUV every few months, looks like it would cost 18L couple of years down the line.
Hi. Did the TD last week and will be confirming the booking for a Silver W8 Cheetah over this week. Was really disappointed to learn that the Amazon Green is no longer available... The delivery is expected end Nov - mid Dec. The OTR (after this 15K hike) here in TRV is 15.13 lacs
Old 10th September 2012, 15:42   #3290
BHPian

hello folks.. as my d-day draws close (am expecting delivery later this month or early october), I just can't seem to contain my excitement . I know its a bit early, but can someone guide me to a few good accessory shops in Hyderabad for the XUV? I am looking for the 3D Kagu mats and options for the foot rest (am not a big fan of the chrome footrest that mahindra has to offer). Also, plan to look for some essential cleaning supplies as well

Needed some opinions on planning for a rear fender. I am still unsure whether this would be a good idea or not. I would rather not get this, but am scared of some of the bikers and autowallahs who end up scraping the bumper during their maneuvering at signals and traffic jams.
Did any of the folks get a fender and if so which brand/type?
Old 10th September 2012, 16:36   #3291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Let me explain.
I guess, it has to do with how its implemented and my own driving habits. In my case, while stopping at a signal, I am always in first gear with the clutch depressed. Now, for the start-stop to function, I specifically need to switch to Neutral and take my foot off the clutch. So basically I have to do 2 "manual" actions BEFORE initiating the triggering of automatic engine shutdown. If it needs conscious decision on my part and some effort to trigger it, is it really 'automatic'? I would rather switch off/on the engine by the key.

With Auto-wipers I have not been able to find a perfect setting, where they wipe just perfectly - not too fast, not too slow. It is clearly a problem with my expectation. Even in manual mode, I continuously fine-tune the wiper speed.

With auto-headlights, again its got to do with my driving style. I am a defensive driver and tend to switch on my headlights much before other cars on the road. While entering a tunnel, I switch on my lights before the tunnel. With these habits, I find the auto-headlights operating too late.

I have no complaints though. Just that I don't use these features.
Doesn't it put lot of wear on clutch and bearings? I have a habit of switching to neutral as soon as car is stand still and I'm not moving for next 2-5 seconds. There are quite a few instances where I have to keep moving every 10 seconds due to traffic jam, at signals and other instances. In city traffic, we have more instances<10sec pauses than those with long pauses. That's the reason, I felt that I should be able to set this timeout to something that is more useful. I may be going to put lot of wear on battery/starter motor and will consume more fuel for start within 10sec than idling for 10sec. However, as someone mentioned, the feature is really good if it works towards saving fuel.

I haven't had to use wipers extensively yet, not much rains in Bangalore :( However, I have set it to the slowest position and auto wiper feature worked great so far, I could see it moving faster with intense rain or a bit higher speed. So far so good.
Auto lights, I'm not using, not because its too late, somehow I feel its too early, I'm not using it, but I felt its a welcome addition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind View Post
I had this habit long time back. But after reading in this forum that when you keep the clutch depressed for a long time it would lead to premature wear and tear of the release bearing, I now shift to neutral with the hand breaks on whenever I am waiting at a signal.

-- Wind
Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
Thanks, I just loved your frank feedback.

I will suggest you start using the Start-Stop function atleast, I feel it is pretty useful and works without flaw. I can say this because, I have to manually switch off/on engine at signals and I feel there was easier way for that. By not having/using this feature, one has to
1. keep the car in gear with clutch depressed - this will start putting strain on leg, calf and thigh muscles, especially so because I feel the XUV clutch is on harder side
2. keep the car in neutral with clutch released
But then in either of the two above the engine will still be running and the objective of saving fuel and better FE would be hampered
3. keep the car switched off manually and crank it up right in time to make way in traffic or bear the brunt of vehicles behind

I think slotting into neutral and releasing clutch is quite easy to adopt and useful than cranking engine on time.

Just some thoughts if they prove useful. Seriously, there are some good things in XUV and hope they prove useful to owners. Just hope they don't fail right on time when needed.
I'm switching off the engine manually at traffic signals and traffic jam situations. Have you guys observed this function activating too often to get some real benefit since the timeout is just 2sec? I somewhere read that the engine goes to hibernation etc, but technically, I guess there is no difference when you switch the engine off manually or its turned off by means of start&Stop function.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iride View Post
Hi Ketan, I am in a similar boat. Would greatly appreciate it if you can update the thread with what you find about the mounting options and brands like Thule that have cross bars suited for the XUV.
Sure, I'm still waiting on the response from Inno, I have already requested Thule guy to come back to me once they have the mount system available for this vehicle, I may go for Inno if they can find a solution since that was a bit economical option to me.
Ketan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2012, 16:53   #3292
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_raja View Post
Hi. Did the TD last week and will be confirming the booking for a Silver W8 Cheetah over this week. Was really disappointed to learn that the Amazon Green is no longer available... The delivery is expected end Nov - mid Dec. The OTR (after this 15K hike) here in TRV is 15.13 lacs
You lucky guy! The unfortunate ones in (most of) Maharashtra have to pay an Octroi as well and that adds another 70-75 thousands to the OTR.

Congratulations on the W8 booking!
Old 10th September 2012, 19:33   #3293
BHPian

Quoting from my earlier post on my XUV sent for service . Here is the update

The following are things, I have asked him to check and rectify :

1) RHS Indicators malfunctioning . Works at times, doesnt work at times : Rectified. The unit has been changed and is working fine as of now.

2) LED has conked off . Needs replacement : Now here is the problem. India Garage is out of stocks. They dont get the LEDs alone it seems . The entire head light unit needs to be replaced. I had a very annoying situation as the RM did not mention about this unavailability while giving the job card. After waiting 3 days, and only while delivery check was being done, im informed about this. I lost my cool and had a bad altercation with RM and service manager. Im told that they would pick my car tomo ( tuesday, 11th sep) and get the work done and return same day. Its shocking that they dont have basic spares.

3) Light throw from head lights. Need correction on the dark triangle formation from RHS light : The triangle seems to be another "feature" of the xuv. tried with another vehicle, and there is a triangle on both RHS and LHS lights. One needs to adjust the throw and focus to get this dark spot to a manageable distance away.

4) Right back mudflap is to be replaced : Replaced.

5)Wiper is not cleaning well. Also the LHS wiper has come out of socket. : Rectified

6)Brake grinding noise ( The RM says, they are replacing the brake pads of the initial lot of vehicles. He would get stocks in 20 days. Now he would clean it) : Expecting a replacement tomorrow

7) Clutch is very tight : Remains as it is. Will be rechecked tomo.

The approx estimate is 6.5k , for consumables. The bill came to 5792/- Will post a detailed on after the car is back tomo.

Now what has irritated me is the fact that, apart from the normal service that was due at 20k kms, none of the major repairs was completed, due to stock unavailability. Im waiting for them to finish the work tomo, hopefully. Else Im going to lose it big time.
mannubhai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2012, 19:54   #3294
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoneAndDusted View Post
I know its a bit early, but can someone guide me to a few good accessory shops in Hyderabad for the XUV? I am looking for the 3D Kagu mats and options for the foot rest (am not a big fan of the chrome footrest that mahindra has to offer). Also, plan to look for some essential cleaning supplies as well
I am not sure whether any shop ion Hyderabad deals with XUV accessories. May be old Mahindra hands can suggest such shops here. However, the accessories are mostly made by suppliers in Dehradun, Chandigarh and other places up north. The addresses are available on the boxes in which these accessories come packed. And the shocking revelation is the MRP on them, inclusive of taxes, which is often half of what they otherwise are sold for. That tells me there is an immediate opportunity for the 3rd party accessory dealers to get good business.

Quote:
Needed some opinions on planning for a rear fender. I am still unsure whether this would be a good idea or not. I would rather not get this, but am scared of some of the bikers and autowallahs who end up scraping the bumper during their maneuvering at signals and traffic jams.
I somehow find that one hideous and hence desisted from putting that one till date.
Zappo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2012, 01:54   #3295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
2) LED has conked off . Needs replacement : Now here is the problem. India Garage is out of stocks. They dont get the LEDs alone it seems . The entire head light unit needs to be replaced. I had a very annoying situation as the RM did not mention about this unavailability while giving the job card. After waiting 3 days, and only while delivery check was being done, im informed about this. I lost my cool and had a bad altercation with RM and service manager. Im told that they would pick my car tomo ( tuesday, 11th sep) and get the work done and return same day. Its shocking that they dont have basic spares.
Shocking news is that it took 3 days for a service Why did it took so long to service it. As per the list you mentioned, nothing seems to be a major work and what all was reported by you, were eventually not taken care off so why it took all this time sir.
An yes, please post a detail report of the service cost.
nitinralli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2012, 02:49   #3296
BHPian

Hi Done and Dusted, There are many shops in Minister road to get the accessories for XUV 500. Just so that you wont get zapped, the one I know would Ambica Auto agencies on Minister Road. You can meet Girish and you can refer to me for better prices. I can assure that you wont be ripped and you will get better supplies. He was mentioning to me that he has the 3D mats, front and rear guards for XUV.

Quote:
hello folks.. as my d-day draws close (am expecting delivery later this month or early october), I just can't seem to contain my excitement . I know its a bit early, but can someone guide me to a few good accessory shops in Hyderabad for the XUV? I am looking for the 3D Kagu mats and options for the foot rest (am not a big fan of the chrome footrest that mahindra has to offer). Also, plan to look for some essential cleaning supplies as well

By the way, when did you book it and when is the CPD date? I have booked it on Aug 8 and CPD date they gave is Feb 27th 2013.

Last edited by Zappo : 11th September 2012 at 19:54. Reason: Use multiquote option to reply to everyone at one go. Multiple posts merged.
balenoboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2012, 09:43   #3297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
I am not sure whether any shop ion Hyderabad deals with XUV accessories. May be old Mahindra hands can suggest such shops here. However, the accessories are mostly made by suppliers in Dehradun, Chandigarh and other places up north. The addresses are available on the boxes in which these accessories come packed. And the shocking revelation is the MRP on them, inclusive of taxes, which is often half of what they otherwise are sold for. That tells me there is an immediate opportunity for the 3rd party accessory dealers to get good business.

I somehow find that one hideous and hence desisted from putting that one till date.
Thanks Zappo! I agree, even I find the rear guard, an ugly addition. However, with our famous traffic in hyderabad, I don't want to get dinged by an auto wallah or a motorcycle. I have had bad experiences with these folks scraping and bumping the rear in their acrobatic attempts to maneuver at signals and traffic jams. The worst part is they are not even apologetic (this really pisses me off!). With a rear guard, I might look at reversing and dinging in return . Anyways, this is something I need to think through.. I am more inclined towards an aftermarket foot rest and the 3-D mats. Will get the reverse camera from the showroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoboy View Post
Hi Done and Dusted, There are many shops in Minister road to get the accessories for XUV 500. Just so that you wont get zapped, the one I know would Ambica Auto agencies on Minister Road. You can meet Girish and you can refer to me for better prices. I can assure that you wont be ripped and you will get better supplies. He was mentioning to me that he has the 3D mats, front and rear guards for XUV.
Thanks BalenoBoy! I am scared of getting ripped off by these folks. Had a bad experience with an ICE sometime ago. Will go with your reco and check Ambica Auto. I might need your real name to use as a reference. Will drop you a PM to get your reference details.

Quote:
By the way, when did you book it and when is the CPD date? I have booked it on Aug 8 and CPD date they gave is Feb 27th 2013.
I booked on July 10th and the date I recently received was end of September or early October (was provided a tentative timeline of late October during the booking). I am slightly surprised by the date provided to you. With the increased production of the XUV, i thought the wait time should be reduced. Also, since you booked about a month after me, I would think that your date should be in Nov/Dec. Maybe there is a rush due to the festival season or they are trying to set low expectations and ensure customers are happy when it gets delivered earlier? Which dealer did you book this through (VVC or AML)?
Maybe you should check again at the end of this month, you might get a more realistic date.

Edit: @BalenoBoy can you PM me your details that I can use for the reference? I can't seem to send you a PM since you are still in the early period of your team-bhp membership

Last edited by DoneAndDusted : 11th September 2012 at 09:48. Reason: could not send a PM
Old 11th September 2012, 09:55   #3298
BHPian

Quote:

I booked on July 10th and the date I recently received was end of September or early October (was provided a tentative timeline of late October during the booking). I am slightly surprised by the date provided to you. With the increased production of the XUV, i thought the wait time should be reduced. Also, since you booked about a month after me, I would think that your date should be in Nov/Dec. Maybe there is a rush due to the festival season or they are trying to set low expectations and ensure customers are happy when it gets delivered earlier? Which dealer did you book this through (VVC or AML)?
Maybe you should check again at the end of this month, you might get a more realistic date.

Edit: @BalenoBoy can you PM me your details that I can use for the reference? I can't seem to send you a PM since you are still in the early period of your team-bhp membership
I have booked it through VVC Motors. I will check with them may be after a week and see if the date changes.
I am trying to PM you, however, as I am a newbie, I will not be able to PM you.
Either, you have to PM me or you can ask the admins to help us.
Else, you can go to Girish from Ambica auto and refer me as Hari - baleno.

I don't know if I can give contact info here. You can reach me at 9885671971.
MODS, please delete the contact info if you think it is not appropriate.I gave it here as I am unable to PM.

Last edited by balenoboy : 11th September 2012 at 10:21. Reason: adding more information
balenoboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2012, 10:25   #3299
BHPian

Quote:
I have booked it through VVC Motors. I will check with them may be after a week and see if the date changes.
I am trying to PM you, however, as I am a newbie, I will not be able to PM you.
Either, you have to PM me or you can ask the admins to help us.
Else, you can go to Girish from Ambica auto and refer me as Hari - baleno.
Thanks Buddy.. I booked through VVC as well. I spoke to Harish, who is the team lead for the XUV, about a week/ten days ago and got the updated date. You might want to check with him after another 10 days..
Old 11th September 2012, 10:45   #3300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Shocking news is that it took 3 days for a service Why did it took so long to service it. As per the list you mentioned, nothing seems to be a major work and what all was reported by you, were eventually not taken care off so why it took all this time sir.
An yes, please post a detail report of the service cost.
I really have no clue why they took that long. I gave it to service on 6th morn at 11 am. I was promised delivery by 7th evening. On 7th, I was told work is underway in the electronics. I assumed that since they had to correct the light throw and stuff, it might be taking that extra time. I told them that even if you retain the car for tonight, give it back only once everything is done, as the service centre is a good 25 kms drive , ie 1.5 hrs away for me. But , but !!!!

Also , I missed answering your qs on LED. The LED is being replace FOC. The entire headlight unit has to be changed as they dont get LEDs seperately.
mannubhai is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks