Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2012, 13:58   #3226
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: XUV Auto - Delayed by at least 2 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Yes. It is the same engine with the same mechanical parts, just that it is tuned for power and mounted transversely on the XUV instead of longitudinally on the scorpio.
I thought even Scorpio had its engine transversely mounted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
I think M&M and Hyundai will have to work together to tweak the Auto box to be compatible with XUV.

If Korando / Rexton / Chairman have a transverse layout, investment makes sense, otherwise only for XUV investment will take ages to break even.
Which Hyundai has a transversely mounted engine? Santa Fe? I doubt Ssangyong has that kind of a gear box, else Mahindra would not bother to work with Hyundai!
Old 1st September 2012, 14:01   #3227
Senior - BHPian

Re: XUV Auto - Delayed by at least 2 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I thought even Scorpio had its engine transversely mounted!

Which Hyundai has a transversely mounted engine? Santa Fe? I doubt Ssangyong has that kind of a gear box, else Mahindra would not bother to work with Hyundai!
I think All Hyundais have longitudinally mounted engines only. Since Hyundai will have all rights to modify the engine (proprietary) and M&M will have to just consume the Auto box as is. So to make changes to suit the traverse mount, Hyundai will have to make the design changes and supply as a "bolt-on "kit to M&M
Old 2nd September 2012, 12:53   #3228
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Anyone here from Mumbai who has BOSCH Wiper blades on his XUV500?
Old 2nd September 2012, 17:54   #3229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reevester View Post
Anyone here from Mumbai who has BOSCH Wiper blades on his XUV500?
Yes. Got Aerotwins installed after the OEM blades put scratches on the windscreen glass. To answer your question. The Bosh blades are simply fantastic and very effective. Go for it..
princey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2012, 19:18   #3230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by princey View Post
Yes. Got Aerotwins installed after the OEM blades put scratches on the windscreen glass. To answer your question. The Bosh blades are simply fantastic and very effective. Go for it..
So they're made for the XUV or kinda one-size-fits-all type models?

Any chance you can point me to a product description page or something online??

EDIT: Found something here. Kinda answered my own question!

Last edited by reevester : 2nd September 2012 at 19:32.
reevester is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2012, 20:45   #3231

Any idea what is the running in period?
Old 2nd September 2012, 21:39   #3232
BHPian

Came across an USB port inside the central storage area at the top of the dash - above the display screen. Its kinda closed with a black rubber cap, making it slightly difficult to spot. Tried connecting a USB stick as well as phone but it neither reads the memory stick nor charges the phone.

So any idea what this USB port does. Is it used to update the software of the IS or some maintenance activity by Mahindra?

FundaG
Old 2nd September 2012, 21:47   #3233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
Came across an USB port inside the central storage area at the top of the dash - above the display screen. Its kinda closed with a black rubber cap, making it slightly difficult to spot. Tried connecting a USB stick as well as phone but it neither reads the memory stick nor charges the phone.

So any idea what this USB port does. Is it used to update the software of the IS or some maintenance activity by Mahindra?

FundaG
Actually, it's meant for updating the MapMyIndia software of the Navigator.
Hope that helps.
Old 2nd September 2012, 21:48   #3234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie

FundaG
Its for updating Map my India GPS
Old 3rd September 2012, 00:11   #3235
Senior - BHPian

Question guys...is it possible to have lets say 19" Alloys in front and 20" alloys at back in XUV?? Reason: If you see pics in my earlier post with 17" all around, you can see there is a big gap in the rear wheels. This i really hate. So i came to know that XUV has 20" wheels coming real soon so my question is: Can i put, lets say 17-18" in front wheels and 19-20" at the back?? If possible, how would this impact driving experience?

Here's the the reason what im talking bout..look at the pic. The rear wheel has way too much space than front wheels:

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-img_0043.jpg

Last edited by mobike008 : 3rd September 2012 at 14:41. Reason: Back to Back Posts. Read the forum rules before proceeding.
Old 3rd September 2012, 03:01   #3236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli
Here's the the reason what im talking bout..look at the pic. The rear wheel has way too much space than front wheels:
Nitin I think it's because the suspension is designed as such to have more travel before it hits the tyre. ( I am assuming you are concerned about the space above the tyre? )
Old 3rd September 2012, 10:22   #3237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
Congrats redindian and DoneAndDusted! I have a month old W8, and am yet to encounter any niggles so far.
Yup - went ahead with W8, Paid the amount on Thursday and took delivery on Friday - had to wait till Saturday though to get the registration number.

It is an awesome machine - already took off on short 300Km road trip on sunday - this machine is a well mannered brute !

Here are a couple of first look snaps - planning to write the Initial ownership report sometime over the next week or so.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-dsc_0569.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-dsc_0429.jpg  

redindian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2012, 13:05   #3238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redindian View Post
Yup - went ahead with W8, Paid the amount on Thursday and took delivery on Friday - had to wait till Saturday though to get the registration number.

It is an awesome machine - already took off on short 300Km road trip on sunday - this machine is a well mannered brute !

Here are a couple of first look snaps - planning to write the Initial ownership report sometime over the next week or so.
Congratulations RedIndian! Wish you many years of pleasure with this beast . I have started counting down for my XUV being available..

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Question guys...is it possible to have lets say 19" Alloys in front and 20" alloys at back in XUV?? Reason: If you see pics in my earlier post with 17" all around, you can see there is a big gap in the rear wheels. This i really hate. So i came to know that XUV has 20" wheels coming real soon so my question is: Can i put, lets say 17-18" in front wheels and 19-20" at the back?? If possible, how would this impact driving experience?
I will leave the experts to answer your question, but Nitin, where did you hear about this update to the XUV's wheels? Also any other scoops on what else might be updated and when? Would appreciate your inputs.

Last edited by DoneAndDusted : 3rd September 2012 at 13:13. Reason: Forgot to multiquote
Old 3rd September 2012, 14:45   #3239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Well, my hypothesis ( as I am not a race engineer or mechanic ) on this is as follows -

In a FWD vehicle, theoretically this shouldn't have any mechanical problem at the fundamental level ( read - vehicle will run OK ) - as long as you can fit them in & tune the suspension for reduced travel.

But - modern cars, including XUV have a bunch of electronic driver aids that are calibrated based on pre-assumed wheel dimensions & I think they will make for some funny handling characteristics.

- ABS / EBD might not work as intended - both these systems depend on wheel slip measurement and they might misread the normal wheel rotation as slip ( remember, the rear wheels have no direct power in XUV since its FWD). i.e. larger size tyre will need fewer rotations for the same movement - so for every 10 rotations of the front wheen - A 20" rear might do 20% lower rotations.

- TCS / ESP will have some real funny behavior , especially Traction Control - will see the same slip as 1 above.

- In an AWD - the torque converter / manager will face some similar issues

- General handling will also be less than optimal, at-least til you retune your suspensions.
redindian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2012, 14:50   #3240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjain View Post
Any idea what is the running in period?
5000 Km as per the sales advisor, at less than 2500 RPM . Dont think that possible - its too hard to resist when it comes to flooring the accelerator

I also heard from another sales advisor in the same dealership that "Sir, please do the runin period at-least for 2500 KMs"
redindian is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed