Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2012, 19:57   #2836
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie

After some tough stand with TVS, I get a call yesterday evening asking if its possible to take the delivery in 2 days if required. I am yet to get my loan approved, which I hope should happen by this week. So said anytime once the loan is approved is fine with me. The TVS person has confirmed he will do the best to get it delivered at the earliest and would update me in 2-3 days time. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Seems like someone some where is getting some flak on the long waiting periods.

FundaG
I have got calls from a dealer and as well as officials from M&M. May be they are affected by Duster. Or their overseas sales projections have failed. However no such early delivery commitment from anywhere.

I told the guy who called from Mahindra, that 6 months waiting period does not belong to this era. I said I might cancel and buy Ford Endy autumatic. In the end he just thanked me for the trust I have shown n blah blah. He however said that they are actually working to reduce the waiting period significantly. In all a nice polished coversation. Lets see.
liferocks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2012, 21:42   #2837
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Both lamps turns as both lamps cover the corner of the vehicle. The cornering lamps, turn with the steering to give you the effect as if your vehicle has turned. It illumintes the complete path of the vehicle (end to end), this is the reason both lamps turn.
Err..in the XUV, the lamps do not physically turn at all. They are already angled at N-W (left side) and N-E direction (right side), assuming the front of the vehicle is pointing North. So when we turn the steering wheel in the XUV, only one cornering lamp is actually in the correct direction and logically that's the only one that should be turned on. Anyways, its not a big deal.

A image from the net, with the cornering lamp circled in red:
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-mahindraxuv500rt_19_560x420.jpg

Last edited by SDP : 18th July 2012 at 21:44.
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2012, 13:04   #2838

Hello BHPisan,

Just purchased an XUV 500 W8 White and have driven it for a few hunderd kilometers. Also have an Innova and have driven it was more than 70000 kms in three years. I feel I should share my 2 bits.

The XUV is only about looks and features. Nothing more.

Negatives first - The platics & switches feel cheap . The seats lack enough thigh support. The third row is useless. The engine is covered by a huge cover. Remove the cover and you will find a very untidy grunty mahindra engine. Brakes Suck big time. I sincerly doubt the reliability of the vehicle.

Positives - Good Design. Great Wheel size. Loaded with features.

Compard to the Innova - The innova is anytime better mechanically and practically and reliability wise. More Cabin Space, better leg room in all three rows, good fuel ecomony and excellent resale value. Never had any issue in the 70000 kms so far. The feature are less than the XUV.

If I could undo my mistake. I would give the XUV back to the dealer and buy an innova again.
anujgarg1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th July 2012, 17:16   #2839
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujgarg1 View Post
Hello BHPisan,

Just purchased an XUV 500 W8 White and have driven it for a few hunderd kilometers. Also have an Innova and have driven it was more than 70000 kms in three years. I feel I should share my 2 bits.

Negatives first - The platics & switches feel cheap . The seats lack enough thigh support. The third row is useless. The engine is covered by a huge cover. Remove the cover and you will find a very untidy grunty mahindra engine. Brakes Suck big time. I sincerly doubt the reliability of the vehicle.

Compard to the Innova - The innova is anytime better mechanically and practically and reliability wise. More Cabin Space, better leg room in all three rows, good fuel ecomony and excellent resale value. Never had any issue in the 70000 kms so far. The feature are less than the XUV.

If I could undo my mistake. I would give the XUV back to the dealer and buy an innova again.
Congratulations for your first post, Anuj!

As far as the negatives mentioned by you are concerned - plastic&switch-quality, under-theigh support, useless third-row and brakes sucking big time - all these aspects are easily observable during the Test-Drive itself. As far as the same untidy Mahindra engine is concerned, again it is a known fact that Mahindra had plonked in a existing engine in XUV (with a different state of tune) and did not develop a brand new tidy one.

That leaves us with 'reliability' concern, which is more of a hunch by you as it is too early to have a concrete view about it. Again it is common knowledge that Mahindras have struggled with reliability and niggles with most of their new launches and most likely XUV is not going to be an exception.

With all this information readily available, I am not able to understand your decision to buy the XUV in the first place.

Last edited by SDP : 19th July 2012 at 17:17.
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2012, 17:45   #2840
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP
With all this information readily available, I am not able to understand your decision to buy the XUV in the first place.
Exactly what came to my mind when I read the post.
Every thing is well known about the XUV thanks to this great forum. Some instances even show car manufacturers closely monitor our threads to get first hand feedback.
The XUV has a gem of an engine. I would have kissed it if it was not that hot when I drove it continuously from Mahabaleshwar to Delhi in 27 hours
rohitbagai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2012, 17:56   #2841
BHPian

Quote:
Hello BHPisan,

Do not regret this buy so early. Your buy sounds like another example of heart winning over head. Before booking, you must have checked most of the above negative points but your heart made you conveniently ignore them.

Enjoy the goodies (hope they all work and touchwood they remain working well) and the attention you get. Let the engine run in (on XUV, brakes, gears and clutch also probably need a run in) and then you will love it again for the drive it offers.

I think XUV will have a great resale value - if not as much as Innova. I say this because Toyota have done their revered brand no good with the Etios twins, while the Mahindra brand has truly risen.
mkumar79 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2012, 19:23   #2842
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Err..in the XUV, the lamps do not physically turn at all. They are already angled at N-W (left side) and N-E direction (right side), assuming the front of the vehicle is pointing North. So when we turn the steering wheel in the XUV, only one cornering lamp is actually in the correct direction and logically that's the only one that should be turned on. Anyways, its not a big deal.

A image from the net, with the cornering lamp circled in red:
Attachment 958626
True. But this turned out to be a very good feature for me. I find it really useful on rainy nights. It really lit up the road sides to where I was turning into and the light throw was really good to show me a big stone lying down there which I wouldn't have noticed otherwise.

Since it is not motorised the reliability need not to be doubted. As far as it throws the light to where you wanted we should not be worried.

-HCP
HotChillyPepper is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2012, 19:48   #2843
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
True. But this turned out to be a very good feature for me. I find it really useful on rainy nights. It really lit up the road sides to where I was turning into and the light throw was really good to show me a big stone lying down there which I wouldn't have noticed otherwise.

-HCP
One month into my XUV Ownership this is the feature I am liking the most. I have had my issue with clutch pedal also in this one month which I would elaborate in the niggles thread in a few days when I get some free time..

-- Wind
Wind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2012, 19:53   #2844
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am not able to understand your decision to buy the XUV in the first place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitbagai View Post
Exactly what came to my mind when I read the post.
I would guess - like anyone else - Features and VFM Proposition would have tilted in favour. Looking just from features perpective, there is no other 7 seater offering the same features for the same money couple with the fact that it is still a head-turner.
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2012, 19:59   #2845
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Give it some time. Don't think of a divorce during the honeymoon period. Most likely, it would slowly grow on you. If not, you can always dispose it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkumar79 View Post
... Let the engine run in (on XUV, brakes, gears and clutch also probably need a run in) and then you will love it again for the drive it offers.
Bang on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkumar79 View Post
....I think XUV will have a great resale value ...
In the current scenario, where there is a wait-period of 4-6 months for the XUV, you could actually get more than what you paid for. Negative depreciation!

On a unrelated note, from the Toyota lineup, the 2-3 year old Fortuners enjoy negative depreciation (not the Innova).
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2012, 20:13   #2846
BHPian

Quote:

In the current scenario, where there is a wait-period of 4-6 months for the XUV
Saw a tweet from Hormazd Sorabjee ( autocar India) that XUV is available off the shelf in Mumbai.

-- Wind
Old 19th July 2012, 20:52   #2847
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind View Post
Saw a tweet from Hormazd Sorabjee ( autocar India) that XUV is available off the shelf in Mumbai.

-- Wind
Might be! I would rather believe BHPians like liferocks and fundagenie who have booked recently and have been given dates which are a few month's away.
Old 19th July 2012, 20:58   #2848
PGA
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP
Give it some time. Don't think of a divorce during the honeymoon period. Most likely, it would slowly grow on you. .
Bang on! Sorry for stealing that phrase from your post SDP. I too would recommend, put the car to pasture, it will show its colors.
PGA is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2012, 23:32   #2849
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGA

Bang on! Sorry for stealing that phrase from your post SDP. I too would recommend, put the car to pasture, it will show its colors.
Continuing from where the gentleman left, sorry don't intend to offend, but have driven both Inovaa and XUV, and IMHO, the drivability and space in front 2 rows of XUV + the features are anyday much better. Maybe just my opinion, but that's my 2 cents

Last edited by Joyb : 19th July 2012 at 23:33.
Old 20th July 2012, 02:35   #2850
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
With so much waiting period, you may be able to sell at a premium and make some quick money, and then buy Innova.
But i am sure it wont happen, so enjoy your car for some time as it is.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks