Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2012, 20:32   #2581
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Had booked online for the XUV test drive 2 days back and got a call from Mahindra today. Informed the booking amount would be 40000Rs. Not bad.
Old 7th June 2012, 20:56   #2582
BHPian

An Oz perspective on XUV 500.

An Australian team was recently in India to test drive the Cheetah in anticipation of the Australian launch. Some of the comments are really interesting.

Mahindra XUV500 Review | Car Advice

-- Wind

Last edited by Wind : 7th June 2012 at 20:59.
Wind is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2012, 21:45   #2583
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

I will be taking delivery for my W6 within a day or two.
Does it make sense to get the alloys fitted at the time of delivery itself or steel rims are ok for some initial run!
I have the only choice that dealer has got the sporty alloys for W6. I asked for the same alloy that W8 has and he told me that its an imported one from china, will take about 1.5 month to source and will cost 75K. I couldnt believe this. I said, I would better wait and look for a better choice here.
Old 7th June 2012, 22:02   #2584
Senior - BHPian

Re: An Oz perspective on XUV 500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind View Post
An Australian team was recently in India to test drive the Cheetah in anticipation of the Australian launch. Some of the comments are really interesting.

Mahindra XUV500 Review | Car Advice

-- Wind
Interesting bit of information. As the review team has felt, it is strange that Mahindra is set to sell 'manual only' car (at least for a year or 2) in a market which prefers autos. Even with a short drive, they seem to be spot on about the refined engine, rubbery gear, body roll and slightly vague steering.
Old 7th June 2012, 22:23   #2585

Previous price list (image captured before today's price 'revision') attached
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-image001.jpg  

Old 7th June 2012, 23:29   #2586
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knsivakumar View Post
Previous price list (image captured before today's price 'revision') attached
Checked the XUV web site and looks like there is no change in pricing.
Old 8th June 2012, 01:29   #2587
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
Guys,

I will be taking delivery for my W6 within a day or two.
Does it make sense to get the alloys fitted at the time of delivery itself or steel rims are ok for some initial run!
I have the only choice that dealer has got the sporty alloys for W6. I asked for the same alloy that W8 has and he told me that its an imported one from china, will take about 1.5 month to source and will cost 75K. I couldnt believe this. I said, I would better wait and look for a better choice here.
DONT even think of buying it from them. 75K for alloys you will get a real good looking alloys from outside with fraction of the cost. I got mine for 25K.
So wait on it, get the car, run it for some time, look for the after market alloys, select the one you like and buy them. Money saved, send it to me
nitinralli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2012, 08:11   #2588
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
DONT even think of buying it from them. 75K for alloys you will get a real good looking alloys from outside with fraction of the cost. I got mine for 25K.
So wait on it, get the car, run it for some time, look for the after market alloys, select the one you like and buy them. Money saved, send it to me
Thank you,

yes, I will run with the metal rims for now, black metal rims without the wheel caps looked good to me for the timebeing. I will start looking for options in the market. The other option (sporty alloy) was available for 33K. Somehow I'm not liking it at first glance, will wait and watch for now.
Old 8th June 2012, 08:20   #2589
Senior - BHPian

Re: An Oz perspective on XUV 500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind View Post
The comments are very interesting indeed! I won't be amused if M&M makes the 500 a little more subtle for the overseas market.
Old 8th June 2012, 10:13   #2590
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
Thank you,

yes, I will run with the metal rims for now, black metal rims without the wheel caps looked good to me for the timebeing. I will start looking for options in the market. The other option (sporty alloy) was available for 33K. Somehow I'm not liking it at first glance, will wait and watch for now.
Even the sporty alloys at 33K are over-priced. 75K is day-light robbery, that too for China manufacture.
I would suggest, wait for some time. With the growing popularity of the XUV, it i just a matter of time before a bunch of after-market options materialize.
Old 8th June 2012, 11:11   #2591
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
One installer in Bangalore said I cannot change the speakers of XUV w8 as the HU will not detect the aftermarket speakers . Is this really true? How HU can detect speakers? Is it monitoring the impedance? People who already upgraded their speakers had faced any issues?

Thanks
HCP
Time to look for other vendor, most audiophiles get their speakers changed including me.
I got DD in front & rear, with an amplifier & Bit-Ten Sound Processor.
naveenchhillar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2012, 11:53   #2592
BHPian

Slightly confused on which option to go for -- W6 or W8. The following are not available in W6 and this is how I see it...
  1. 6 -inch colour touch-screen infotainment display (Has 6-inch monochrome infotainment display instead) -- Wont a Galaxy tab or Ipad be sufficient to provide the infotainment required. THis can be installed and removed at our will.
  2. GPS Navigation with touch-screen and audio support - Same as above with Google maps or Map my india installed
  3. DVD player -- Can we replace the current player with a DVD player later?
  4. Tyre-tronics -- Not too hung up on this, considering all the cars I drove so far did not have it and not knowing the temp or pressure never gave me so much worries
  5. Side & curtain airbags -- Good to have. but my current cars dont even have front airbags so wouldnt mind not having these
  6. Electronic Stability Program (ESP) with Rollover Mitigation -- Are these really important for normal city and highway driving with very little chance of off-roading
  7. Hill Hold and Hill Descent control -- Again are these required for city and highway driving
  8. Alloy wheels -- can always fit later
  9. Telescopic steering -- I really would love to have this. Considering am a 6'3" person, I hope it will make a difference the way I sit.
  10. Leather upholstery -- can always get it done it later
  11. Power-foldable ORVMs -- Want this . Currently I have to walk around folding the mirrors at tight parking spots..

THe onroad price difference appears to be around 1-1.5 lacs between W6 and W8. Would taking a W6 and getting these extras fitments bring the cost equal to W8
  • Galaxy tab / Ipad -- Rs40000
  • Alloys -- Rs 35000
  • DVD player -- Need input
  • Genuine leather seat covers -- Need inputs

Would appreciate inputs on this from current XUV owners as well as others

FundaG
Old 8th June 2012, 12:50   #2593
Senior - BHPian

Simple. If you have the budget, go for the W8. Having everything factory fitted adds to the convenience. And why compromise on safety features like ESP and airbags, especially if you can afford it?
Old 8th June 2012, 13:02   #2594
BHPian

Re: Team-BHP Car of the Year 2011. EDIT : Mahindra XUV500 it is!!

Good to see that an Indian manufacturer M&M's XUV 500 has been voted as the best car by Team-BHP. That certainly shows that M&M has been successful in gaining the confidence of knowledgeable crowd like Team-BHP.

But i would like to share an incident that recently happened. My colleague after a long waiting period got the XUV 500. He was happy for the first week and then slowly started complaining about small and niggling issues that props up in XUV 500. I am not getting in to details of the issues. The latest one being his car drags to left when braked. He frequently visits the workshop to get issues fixed. Some gets fixed and some doesn't.

My colleagues better half hitted out at him saying " My husband had invested huge amount and waited so long to purchase this car, just to give feedback to M&M".

All things said and done i see one not-so happy customer for M&M.

Thanks,
Senthil.
Old 8th June 2012, 13:42   #2595
BHPian

I think the W8, mainly because of ESP and the 6 airbags. These cannot be retrofitted, and if you look at the thread on the recent Mahindra drive in Delhi, the ESP is completely essential.

Of course not everyone is going to be pushing their vehicle around bends but in an emergency it can make the difference.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks