Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2012, 14:57   #1996

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Participated in the draw and was not lucky. I liked the vehicle and read through all the discussions in the forum before I went ahead and participated in the draw. We are a family of 6 people. Me, my wife, 3 kids and my mom. XUV would have been the ideal vehicle for us. I was also looking at other options like a sedan but considering the size of my family a sedan always comes short when we do a slightly longish trip. The alternative Tata Aria did not get many good words on this forum. Hence, went ahead and booked the new 2012 Innova VX at around 16.3 Lakhs OTR. Although, it is an old engine, but on the space department, it is just right for our family. Expecting delivery in about 3 months - because of a new color - Blue Metallic. The sales folks at Nandi Toyota say that there are no discounts on the vehicle since it is a new launch. I am not sure how much of it is true. Thanks to all the folks who participate in this forum and help people like me who do not have much time to look at various options. I am much "learned" now in terms of all the right questions to ask.
tupin22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2012, 15:10   #1997
Senior - BHPian

Found in FB - XUV5OO from desert storm rally -
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-401390_10150542626077126_618387125_9199555_1932456206_n.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-423613_10150542647557126_618387125_9199602_1606760333_n.jpg  

raj_5004 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2012, 15:16   #1998
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Looks awsome, may be M&M can bring out the Rally Model too.
Old 20th February 2012, 16:40   #1999
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tupin22 View Post
The sales folks at Nandi Toyota say that there are no discounts on the vehicle since it is a new launch. I am not sure how much of it is true.
Discounts on an Innova?! Am sure there was no discounts on even the older one. When people queue for 6-8 months for delivery, you should be happy that they didn't ask you to buy a lottery!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
Looks awsome, may be M&M can bring out the Rally Model too.
That car is driven by the rally ace "Gaurav Gill" !

Is that an engine guard under the front bumper? Looks like the tow hook is also attached there.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 20th February 2012 at 16:41.
Old 20th February 2012, 20:09   #2000
BHPian

i booked my xuv on 10th Oct and getting delivery this week. dealer gave me VIN C6A73215. If i am decoding it correct as given few pages back

C-2012
6 - Chakan
A - Jan
73215 - serial number.

Am i decoding it correct?
If yes, is Jan model is fine? or its suppose to be Feb model.
Old 20th February 2012, 23:35   #2001
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msinghal80 View Post
If yes, is Jan model is fine? or its suppose to be Feb model.
Jan is perfectly fine [if indeed it decodes the way you mentioned]. Consider a transit time of 15-20 days depending on locations. Since it's Feb 20 as of today, there are high chances that most dealers might be getting Jan manufactured vehicles.
Old 20th February 2012, 23:47   #2002
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I really like that snorkel and the WRC style lights on the hood.

Is this a M&M entry or a support car for the desert storm? But why would MSIL use the XUV5OO for support?
Old 21st February 2012, 00:45   #2003
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tupin22 View Post
Hence, went ahead and booked the new 2012 Innova VX at around 16.3 Lakhs OTR. Although, it is an old engine, but on the space department, it is just right for our family..
Friend, my opinion - The Innova is still the best MUV for a family of your size. This is just my opinion and might not go down well with a lot of fellow T BHPians. I booked one in the first lot and my delivery is due next week. I have transferred my booking to my sister who is impressed with the looks and features of the XUV. Go for the Innova and you wont be disappointed. I own a Corolla and trust me, the Toyota quality is just unbeatable!!!
ganeshram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2012, 01:33   #2004
Team-BHP Support

This one will be a little of a long post. So feel free to skip.

I am watching this thread with some bemusement as well as amusement since last few days. I am bemused with the wide sense of exhileration of the successful people and dispair of those who lost. I am amused with all the conspiracy theories that routinely do the rounds in these kind of cases and is happening here as well.

To begin with I booked an XUV but did not get lucky. So did one of my senior colleagues, let's call him J. He too missed the bus. J and I often exchange notes these days on where we stand now and the next possibilities. J is obviously not sure whether everything was above board after reading through people's comments, reactions and theories.

So let me put across my views on this that I was discussing with J just yesterday. Was there some sort of a hanky panky done with the lottery? I would say probably not. Afterall what do we have to suggest anything of the sort? That people with multiple applications got through? Well, as long as they used different family members' names with individual PAN numbers of each it is perfectly ok. I know many of these were consecutive forms which came up trumps, adding more fuel to the rumor fires. However that is also no proof. If I apply with say Form 1,2 and 3 and all three win the lottery it does not mean that the computer drew three consecutive numbers one after another in the draw. My form 3 could have won in the 100th draw while form 1 could probably make it on the 1000th draw and form 2 probably on the 7000th attempt. Its all random. Just because they are arranged/sorted sequentially in the draw results (for ease of search) prove nothing, IMO. About the chances of someone hitting jackpot with all his/her forms I would simply say they are the real lucky ones. Ever seen those 1 or 2 guys in a Tambola with a solitary ticket winning everything from the Jaldi-5 to Full house? Remember, with big names like M&M, Deloitte etc being involved they have everything to lose if a person files a petition in the court and then a subsequent court ordered inquiry brings out any malpractice in the draw of the lots.

Now talking about people willing to make fast buck by selling off their vehicles at huge premiums, M&M can do precious little over and above what they have done. They won't allow a person to transfer their allotment letters. So essentially to hope a bonanza out of black marketing a person will need to first plonk his/her $$$ to buy the car after a wait of upto 4 months then get the same registered in his/her name and then find a buyer crazy enough to pay a premium of 2+ lakhs to buy what is essentially a 2nd hand car (RC book will show so). Now think of the pitfalls. You invest your big money on a car with a grand hope that 4+ months down the line someone will actually want to pay you huge additional money to buy your car. And with the kind of premium you are asking for this vehicle will reach somewhere around 17 lakhs on the road. Thats a territory where with some more here and there you definitely have other worthy options to look at. That's a lot of chance to take. Definitely not doable with car loans (foreclosure norms will kill you anyways). And someone with so much of cash of his own will anyhow have better ways of making money than the route of black marketing. So barring a few early ones who might be just testing the waters in the initial days I think more number of those with multiple bookings will most probably surrender their extra bookings. And herein lies the chance for those who did not succeed in the main draw to get an allotment on the rebound.

Of course above is my personal analysis of the situation as of now. I may be a little off the track though I doubt I will be much wide of the mark.

Last edited by Zappo : 21st February 2012 at 01:47.
Zappo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st February 2012, 02:04   #2005
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeshram View Post
Friend, my opinion - The Innova is still the best MUV for a family of your size. This is just my opinion and might not go down well with a lot of fellow T BHPians. I booked one in the first lot and my delivery is due next week. I have transferred my booking to my sister who is impressed with the looks and features of the XUV. Go for the Innova and you wont be disappointed. I own a Corolla and trust me, the Toyota quality is just unbeatable!!!
How did you transfer the booking to your sister before delivery?
Old 21st February 2012, 03:21   #2006
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msinghal80 View Post
i booked my xuv on 10th Oct and getting delivery this week. dealer gave me VIN C6A73215
I got my W8 (grey) delivered on 16th Feb (8th Oct booking) with Jan 2012 VIN. Dealer indicated that he hadn't received any Feb vehicles as of 16th, so if I trust my dealer's words, Jan vehicles are the latest to hit delivery docks. Car looks and feels good (mind you, after reading many niggles / issues, my expectations of xuv were rock bottom and I must say that after driving about 200km, I'm happy with the vehicle). Pics of my grey w8 taken from my phone cam at the dealership dock.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-imag0064.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-imag0066.jpg  

smopuri is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2012, 03:40   #2007
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Puri!
That looks like SKS, Koramangala!
Thats one of the top colors in among all available. Thats the color I booked with my lottery ticket Glad to know you are enjoying your ride without any issues, for the past few days / 200 KMs.

Please post your initial ownership report along with lots of pictures. Also, if you have seen improvements in clutch, brakes, gear shift over the old versions. I'm not going to ask for electronics for now, would like to give it some more time
Wishing you many more happy miles with your new ride. Drive safe!
Old 21st February 2012, 04:20   #2008
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
Congratulations Puri!
That looks like SKS, Koramangala!
Thats one of the top colors in among all available. Thats the color I booked with my lottery ticket Glad to know you are enjoying your ride without any issues, for the past few days / 200 KMs.

Please post your initial ownership report along with lots of pictures. Also, if you have seen improvements in clutch, brakes, gear shift over the old versions. I'm not going to ask for electronics for now, would like to give it some more time
Wishing you many more happy miles with your new ride. Drive safe!
Thanks Ketan. Yes it's SKS Koramangala. I had initially booked silver and later on changed to grey. Thanks to Amit at SKS who helped with the color change.

The clutch and gear shift are just as smooth as my current Esteem - light, smooth and comfortable. I had lot of apprehensions about xuv clutch and I must say that I'm very relieved . So far all electronics seem to be working. A couple of initial niggles:

> The hazard lights (parking lights) button is getting stuck when operated and I need to get this fixed in the next service.

> A couple of times the car didn't start in the evening times. When I took the key off the ignition and reinserted, it worked. I'm not sure what the issue is. But will get it checked.

Currently out of country attending some business meetings. Will try to post more ownership details after my return.

Last edited by smopuri : 21st February 2012 at 04:45. Reason: typo fixed
smopuri is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2012, 10:30   #2009
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
I really like that snorkel and the WRC style lights on the hood.

Is this a M&M entry or a support car for the desert storm? But why would MSIL use the XUV5OO for support?
Mahindra had taken part in the desert storm rally with the XUV5OO, i guess MSIL was the main sponsor.
Old 21st February 2012, 11:06   #2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeshram View Post
Thanks very much ganeshram. Although I have read that Innova is over-priced and not really VFM, I have no choice today in the Indian market and its offering. The only other vehicle that comes close to my requirements is Ertiga which is yet to be launched.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks