Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2012, 23:02   #871
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Brio : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
Going through Autocar Magazine's buyer section & found that top speed of Brio has been mentioned as only 140 kmph where as for Jazz it is 176 kmph or there about. Is the engine or state of tuning any way different from Jazz? May be it is a typo too.Would like to have Brio owner's comments on this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
The reason is shorter gearing on the brio. The brio gets to 140 on speedo pretty easily actually close to 150 even. Progress beyond is rather slow.
From what I have read, actually, the Brio is restricted to 140 kmph by Honda. That is the reason why ACI mentioned the top speed as 140. Thanks to an overall lighter structure, its possible that Brio might be in a position to hit 160 with ease, but somehow, Honda restricted it.
I read about this restriction in the ACI's test of i10 vs Brio in some past issue.
Old 2nd October 2012, 23:27   #872
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
From what I have read, actually, the Brio is restricted to 140 kmph by Honda. That is the reason why ACI mentioned the top speed as 140.
There is no restriction on top speed by honda. Recently my friend did 162KMPH in his brio.
Old 3rd October 2012, 09:09   #873
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay99 View Post
There is no restriction on top speed by honda. Recently my friend did 162KMPH in his brio.

Well, its again quoted here :
http://www.gaadi.com/auto-reviews/be...ft-vs-new-brio

Quote:
However, when it comes to the top end, the Brio suffers from a huge drawback in respect of its top speed, which has been restricted to approximately 140 km/h. The Swift, on the other hand, keeps on going until almost 170 km/h without any limitation (true speeds in both cases)
At this point, I would like to admit that I have not taken brio over even 100 kmph, but just as the query of ACI figure came out, I thought of posting the same.
Would request anybody ( existing Brio owners ) to atleast quote the rpm figures if they have tried, then we can get to exact achieved/achievable top speed.
Old 7th October 2012, 02:33   #874

Hi petrolheads!

I'm new to this community and I am completely mesmerized by the way the Cars are worshiped here. This is my first post.

My dad is about to make a new car purchase and he has given the responsibility to me to research and finalise the car. Ive been visiting this thread religiously from the past two weeks because of my natural interest in Brio. Will be booking the car within 10-15 days so as to take delivery on Diwali.

Here are the needs the car should meet.

- Monthly running of 500-600 Kms (In City conditions, rarely on highways)
- Fuel Efficiency (Very Imp)
- Long life of basic parts and engine (Dad will own this car for long period 6-8 yrs)
- Comfortable seating of 5 people
- Budget strictly around 5 Lakhs (plus minus 10k)

I have ruled out diesel cars because of the higher costs and also because of the low monthly running. My dad has issues with the looks of Ritz and i10 so those were ruled out very early. Beat is a little cramped up when it comes to space.

The two cars that are ruling the show at the moment are Brio S MT and Figo Petrol Zxi. OTR price of both the cars at Raipur are :

Figo Petrol Zxi 5,02,061
Brio S-MT 4,99,910

The plus points of Figo here being the ride quality, boots space and defogger. But its lacks the value when it comes to engine which is a disappointment in terms of performance and FE. This is where Brio is winning single handedly. I think the i-vtec in Brio is going to give a much better FE, peace of mind and pride of owning a Honda. Steering mounted controls on S MT is a big plus . One of my concerns with Brio is the soft suspension. Will this suspension last over a long ownership period? (We do have a few monstrous speed breakers and potholes here).

I am in a very deep fix here. Help me in this decision

Note From Team-BHP Support-Staff: Only TWO emoticons allowed per post.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 7th October 2012 at 14:00. Reason: see note in post :)
Old 7th October 2012, 09:06   #875
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroom01 View Post
The two cars that are ruling the show at the moment are Brio S MT and Figo Petrol Zxi. One of my concerns with Brio is the soft suspension. Will this suspension last over a long ownership period? (We do have a few monstrous speed breakers and potholes here).I am in a very deep fix here.
vroom,
The Brio is an excellent choice and will serve you well for the next 6-8 years. In fact, Honda engines last even longer with minimal maintenance so you don't have anything to worry about. As for the suspension of the Brio, it is not really soft, but on the firm side so monstrous speed-breakers will not pose a problem. In fact, us folks here in Bangalore are cursed with having some of the worst spped-breakers in the country and my Brio has never bottomed out even when loaded with five people. Do let me know if you have any further queries.

Cheers,
gpa
gpa is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2012, 10:05   #876

gpa! thanks a ton. Nothing like getting assurance from a Brio owner.

I would like to know about the FE of your Brio. How does it vary when you do not use the A/C. My dad isn't a big fan of A/C in car and usually drives with glasses down except for summers.
Old 7th October 2012, 13:34   #877
BHPian

Vroom01, I think you should take a TD of both Brio and Figo. Comfortable seating for 5 is the only factor that might be a bit problematic, so better take your family along for a TD. Otherwise Brio is a brilliant car to drive, just a TD will put a smile on your face.

I would suggest increasing your budget a bit and going for S(O) instead of S. You get dual airbags, ABS + EBD, tilt steering, and electrically adjustable ORVMs in S(O) over S. The "bolded" features are worth the investment. Try to bargain hard with the dealers especially for insurance and extended warranty, that way you can bring down the price.

With AC off, Brio gives an FE ranging between 12 to 15.5, atleast that's what I get. AC on, its around 13-14 depending on traffic conditions. Out on the expressway I have managed to get a figure of 18.5 with speed constantly in 70-90 range, 5 adults, AC on. It dropped to 17.5 when I touched 110.
PranavDesai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2012, 15:56   #878
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroom01
gpa! thanks a ton. Nothing like getting assurance from a Brio owner.

I would like to know about the FE of your Brio. How does it vary when you do not use the A/C. My dad isn't a big fan of A/C in car and usually drives with glasses down except for summers.
Vroom01 Like others I would also suggest you to consider S (O ) model rather than S. Do not compromise with safety aspect. Also if its for your father you may wanna consider the AT.

But if your father is gonna drive with glasses down then its better to go with figo. Brio 's beige will get dirty in no time.
joslicx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2012, 21:18   #879

Quote:
Originally Posted by PranavDesai View Post
I think you should take a TD of both Brio and Figo. Comfortable seating for 5 is the only factor that might be a bit problematic, so better take your family along for a TD. Otherwise Brio is a brilliant car to drive, just a TD will put a smile on your face.

With AC off, Brio gives an FE ranging between 12 to 15.5, atleast that's what I get. AC on, its around 13-14 depending on traffic conditions. Out on the expressway I have managed to get a figure of 18.5 with speed constantly in 70-90 range, 5 adults, AC on. It dropped to 17.5 when I touched 110.
PranavDesai, I have taken the TD of both the cars with my and yes the drive of Brio did put a smile on my face, the gorgeous and light steering wheel is the highlight of the car. I liked the interiors of Brio, they gave a very fresh feeling and I loved the golf ball gear knob. And even my Mom pointed out that the little car felt incredibly spacious. Honda sales guy was very courteous and informative. A well engineered car in a nutshell.

Did the TD of Figo TDCI Zxi because at that point of time we were inclining towards diesel cars so I don't know the drive characteristics of Figo petrol. Mom liked the seats of Figo very much and the boot space is a plus but the complete absence of power windows throughout the variants is a disappointment because my Mom will take the back seats often. Also it loses in the steering department in terms of no steering mounted controls and no chrome work like in Brio steering wheel.

I think FE of 13-14 is good enough for a petrol in city conditions. I guess Figo will do about 10-11 here. What say? FE of 18.5 on highways is lip smacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Vroom01 Like others I would also suggest you to consider S (O ) model rather than S. Do not compromise with safety aspect. Also if its for your father you may wanna consider the AT.

But if your father is gonna drive with glasses down then its better to go with figo. Brio 's beige will get dirty in no time.
joslicx, I am also a fan of the ABS feature and yes the tilt steering & electric ORVMs will add to convenience but the cost is the limiting factor here, anyways, will pass your suggestion to dad. After all my dad and mom will be using this car and the presence of safety features will be very comforting. And regarding the AT version I would like to spend the money on safety features rather than the AT. Also, I don't think the Honda guys will be able to deliver the AT version on Diwali. Or can they?
Old 8th October 2012, 11:29   #880
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
With ~2,500 kms on the odo and with minimal use of the a/c my FE has seen a steady increase from when the car was new and at the last tankful was 14.8 kmpl when driven entirely in city traffic.

Below is the log from when the car was new:
  • Trip: 369 kms, fuel consumed: 30.27 lts, FE: 12.19 kmpl
  • Trip: 408 kms, fuel consumed: 31.76 lts, FE: 12.84 kmpl
  • Trip: 420 kms, fuel consumed: 31.61 lts, FE: 13.28 kmpl
  • Trip: 178 kms, fuel consumed: 12.69 lts, FE: 14.02 kmpl
gpa is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2012, 12:39   #881
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
With ~2,500 kms on the odo and with minimal use of the a/c my FE has seen a steady increase from when the car was new and at the last tankful was 14.8 kmpl when driven entirely in city traffic.
City FE of almost 15 is excellent and approaches the Alto 800 that I have known as the most frugal petrol car in India. Hats off to Honda. But its good that you're here in Bangalore and we dont need to use A/C that much (probably only during day time it is strictly required). Have you noticed any big fluctuations if you are on maximal A/C use?
joslicx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2012, 12:53   #882
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
City FE of almost 15 is excellent. Have you noticed any big fluctuations if you are on maximal A/C use?
I haven't used the car with the a/c switched on all the time. I plan to do that soon though and will report the same on my initial ownership thread. But from what I have seen thus far, I don't think there is going to be a major variation in the FE figures.
Old 8th October 2012, 13:19   #883
Distinguished - BHPian

Can someone tell me the latest offers for the Brio in Bangalore? And what dates are the diwali offers expected?
Old 8th October 2012, 14:05   #884
BHPian

Quote:
Hi petrolheads!

The two cars that are ruling the show at the moment are Brio S MT and Figo Petrol Zxi. OTR price of both the cars at Raipur are :

Figo Petrol Zxi 5,02,061
Brio S-MT 4,99,910

The plus points of Figo here being the ride quality, boots space and defogger. But its lacks the value when it comes to engine which is a disappointment in terms of performance and FE. This is where Brio is winning single handedly. I think the i-vtec in Brio is going to give a much better FE, peace of mind and pride of owning a Honda. Steering mounted controls on S MT is a big plus . One of my concerns with Brio is the soft suspension. Will this suspension last over a long ownership period? (We do have a few monstrous speed breakers and potholes here).

I am in a very deep fix here. Help me in this decision
@vroom01 - I was in the same dilemma when buying my own car. The ever rising prices of petrol posted a huge issue while deciding on a petrol car. However, my point of view for buying a car should be a healthy balance between what your head wants (diesel in my case) and what your heart wants (Petrol!!)

I had test driven almost 7 hatchbacks (Brio, Figo, Swift, Polo, Fabia, i20, Punto), and of all of them the Brio struck all the right chords. I have now driven the car for 5K+ kms and am in love with it. Based on my observations i think it fits your below criteria's-

- Monthly running of 500-600 Kms - Should be ok for a petrol car
- Fuel Efficiency - I get 12.5-14 in city with a/c
- Long life of basic parts and engine - With Honda, this should never be a problem!
- Comfortable seating of 5 people - Yes, well unless all of them are 6 footers
- Budget strictly around 5 Lakhs - SMT should fit in, but as suggested by a few people already, try stretching it for the S(O)MT version.

Let me know in case of any other specific queries.
Old 8th October 2012, 14:20   #885
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Can someone tell me the latest offers for the Brio in Bangalore? And what dates are the diwali offers expected?
At lot may depend on the response the Brio AT draws. Launch is on 18th October.

Most Viewed