Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2013, 18:39   #1141
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

are local mechanics good enough to match exact paint color? fortunately for me not of the spots have any damage other than paint.

did i just jinx my car?
Old 26th December 2013, 08:11   #1142
BHPian

Had a little scare last sunday , drove out in the morning without any issues , when i took the car out in the afternoon - got a warning "ping" sound with the steering, abs and esp lights flashing yellow.

took it to the workshop, the problem was diagnosed as rear wheel sensor error. Further investigation revealed that the sensor was clogged with dirt (as reported). This was cleaned , they also cleaned the sensors of the other rear wheel for good measure. problem solved.

car is 4 months old.

Possible cause maybe the high pressure wash I was doing every month, especially when returning from long distance travels.

The service manager told me to avoid under body high pressure wash as well as engine bay high pressure wash. (Not mentioned in the manual). He said they have a special means of cleaning the wheel area which is to be done only at the dealership.

Will like to closely obeserve how they clean the wheel areas with pressure wash during the next service visit.

Used to tell the washer guy to focus the high pressure on the alloys to get as much brake dust off the inner sections as possible , that may have caused the above problem.

Wonder how accessible these wheel sensors are to external dirt, water etc.

Also has anyone found splaches of black brake peices on their alloy after a long trip, found a couple on the rear right alloy, the peices must have been 5 to 8 mm dia range - 3 peices, wonder how much pad is left. Did do some severe braking on a couple of occassions on the highway, no stains on the disc though.

Last edited by moralfibre : 8th January 2014 at 09:00. Reason: Back to back posts.
hubolt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2014, 14:52   #1143
BHPian

Just a quick update on my recent trip...

Just finished a 9-day, 2500 Kms trip from Hyd to Kerala and back in my Jetta TL. Car was fully loaded with 3 adults and 3 kids and the trunk packed to the lid. Hyd-Blr was a blast with great stability and awesome brake bite which reassures you. Mysore - Kerala was bad roads as I took a different route through the ghats but did not face much problems except that I had to drive real slow to avoid bottoming out since the car was loaded. On the bad roads, I missed my previous Innova which would have just cruised over. But the good roads brought a grin to my face which my Innova could never achieve :-). I think I got a best mileage of 20-22 kmpl at around 100-120 KMPH. Maneuvering was not an issue in some of Kerala's small streets either.

In Kerala, I had an incident at one of the beaches. It was dusk and I couldnt see a step. The fully loaded car got down a step that was around 7 inches high with a big thud for the front as well as the rear tyres. With trepidation, I checked the bottom but believe it or not couldnt find a small dent too. Infact I couldnt even find where it hit the step !! A similar thing had happened with my swift and the door sill still has the dent marks. The car feels like a tank and is very confidence inspiring. As long as you take is slowly over craters and bumps, this is a great one to accompany you on long trips.

Oh btw on my navigation, my MMI RoadPilot had gone dead and I had used the Sygic / MapMyIndia maps on my Samsung Tab3 completely for directions and it works flawlessly. The tab fits right in front of the speedo console and used it extensively without issues. So saved some moolah on buying the in-dash navigator :-) and risking voiding the warranty.

Last edited by mobike008 : 8th January 2014 at 16:22. Reason: Please avoid mentioning high speeds. Thanks
Dinesh Chengalp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 08:35   #1144
BHPian

Had a weird problem with my car yesterday. When I turned the car on, the was a spanner kind of symbol on the MID and the odometer was totally wrong. My car has done about 2000 km, but the odometer showed some 5000 km . Has anybody else faced a similar problem. What does the spanner symbol mean, and why is the odo wrong?
Old 15th January 2014, 10:03   #1145
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsoboy View Post
Had a weird problem with my car yesterday. When I turned the car on, the was a spanner kind of symbol on the MID and the odometer was totally wrong. My car has done about 2000 km, but the odometer showed some 5000 km . Has anybody else faced a similar problem. What does the spanner symbol mean, and why is the odo wrong?
That means your car has to go for a service in 5000kms.
Old 15th January 2014, 10:08   #1146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had an incident at one of the beaches. It was dusk and I couldnt see a step. The fully loaded car got down a step that was around 7 inches high with a big thud for the front as well as the rear tyres.
If you have the mud flaps fixed its usually the mud flaps. Since you may have cruised it over at over 5kmph it may sound like a thud.

Secondly even the suspension will make a thud noise if the speed is slightly higher. It is very normal.

Lastly there is a protective shield right below the rear door if i am right. They have teeth like structure and it usually get scrapped with a thud noise based on speed.

If the car is fully loaded keep the air pressure at around 40 and take it easy on bumps. The slower the better.

Quote:
Had a weird problem with my car yesterday. When I turned the car on, the was a spanner kind of symbol on the MID and the odometer was totally wrong. My car has done about 2000 km, but the odometer showed some 5000 km . Has anybody else faced a similar problem. What does the spanner symbol mean, and why is the odo wrong
Spanner means service is due. There is a process to reset this in the service manual. Please check the service manual or google for those steps. Its a soft indicator where it lights up based on settings. Dont worry and take it to the service station for a five minute fix if your car is not due for service.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 17:09   #1147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
If you have the mud flaps fixed its usually the mud flaps. Since you may have cruised it over at over 5kmph it may sound like a thud.
I dont have mud flaps and was going much slower as it was dark. So I think some protective shield got hit. I plan to get it checked when its next in for checkup at 7500KM. Thanks !
Old 15th January 2014, 18:58   #1148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I plan to get it checked when its next in for checkup at 7500KM.
Why 7.5K. Is this recommended service or a self check? If its not the mud flaps and speed was low, its definitely the under body protective shield.

Just examine the same and you may find a good amount of scratch. Those plastics are pretty hard and rugged.
Old 16th January 2014, 15:57   #1149
BHPian

Quote:
Why 7.5K.
I think I read in the manual that theres a checkup at 7.5K (halfway between the scheduled first service at 15K).

Also, I had another question that somehow got lost when fiddling with the quote-unquotes. Mine is a Trendline. In the MID, it shows the mileage as L/100KM (so that 6.5 L/100KM means around 15 KMPL) whereas the Vento/Polo lineup seem to show the mileage in KM/L. Do all Jetta's have these readings in L/100KM ?
Old 16th January 2014, 17:47   #1150
Senior - BHPian

@Dinesh,

The MID settings can be changed between l/100km to KM/L or M/G or G/Miles.

In case you drop into chennai, let me know i can help with some of the additional options that we can enable or play with.
Old 17th January 2014, 00:35   #1151
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why 7.5K. Is this recommended service or a self check?
VW cars needs to be serviced at an interval of 15,000 Kms or 1 year whichever is earlier. Since VW never offered any free service like its counterpart, so their team came up with a brilliant idea of free service at 7,500 kms or 6 months. In a way customer feels good, I got a free service.

Technically its a waste of time going over at 7,500 kms/6 months as they basically check fluid levels and top them up(chargeable) and maybe give a free wash. I would suggest to avoid it and rather check engine oil level yourself and save time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinesh Chengalp View Post
Also, I had another question that somehow got lost when fiddling with the quote-unquotes. Mine is a Trendline. In the MID, it shows the mileage as L/100KM (so that 6.5 L/100KM means around 15 KMPL) whereas the Vento/Polo lineup seem to show the mileage in KM/L. Do all Jetta's have these readings in L/100KM ?
There should be a setting in cars MID; if not VW Workshop would be able to change it to kmpl using a VAS machine by connecting it to your cars OBD port.
Old 17th January 2014, 06:46   #1152
BHPian

Quote:
@Dinesh,

The MID settings can be changed between l/100km to KM/L or M/G or G/Miles.

In case you drop into chennai, let me know i can help with some of the additional options that we can enable or play with.

Hi VW2010, can you share info on the addtional options possible, how these options can be enabled, does it need a workshop visit?
Old 17th January 2014, 11:07   #1153
BHPian

Hi All,
I am in the market for a new car and one of the options I am looking at is in between a 1.8TSI Octavia and a 2.0 TDI manual as I would like multi link at the back. I will be making low mileage runs, so I can live with petrol engine, though I would have prefered to consider a multilink skoda 2.0 TDI looking at resale value in the future. Now Skoda is not a brand I prefer, and reasons well known to everyone. This brings me back to Jetta (or other cars). Is the jetta in for a model refresh (MQB platform) in another year or so? Since the current car was launched in 2011, it is already in its last breath (my assumption). Superb (1.8 TSI MT) facelift looks good and VFM too(assuming similar prices), but then is it too long to live with? Also VW may price the new superb at a premium since Passat is discountinued. So what are my options? Any suggestions? I had been looking at F30, but then it is not much of a family car. My parents find the ingress a bit painful and the car a bit too low for their liking. Also personally I think the germans, in general, are over priced for the hype.
Regards

Last edited by 999 : 17th January 2014 at 11:08. Reason: typo
Old 17th January 2014, 12:28   #1154
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 999 View Post
Hi All,
I am in the market for a new car and one of the options I am looking at is in between a 1.8TSI Octavia and a 2.0 TDI manual as I would like multi link at the back. I will be making low mileage runs, so I can live with petrol engine, though I would have prefered to consider a multilink skoda 2.0 TDI looking at resale value in the future. Now Skoda is not a brand I prefer, and reasons well known to everyone. This brings me back to Jetta (or other cars). Is the jetta in for a model refresh (MQB platform) in another year or so? Since the current car was launched in 2011, it is already in its last breath (my assumption). Superb (1.8 TSI MT) facelift looks good and VFM too(assuming similar prices), but then is it too long to live with? Also VW may price the new superb at a premium since Passat is discountinued. So what are my options? Any suggestions? I had been looking at F30, but then it is not much of a family car. My parents find the ingress a bit painful and the car a bit too low for their liking. Also personally I think the germans, in general, are over priced for the hype.
Regards
In my opinion, the Jetta TDI MT is a good option, especially with some of the missing comfort features got addressed with the recent update. The only negative (a big one) in my view is the lack of ext. warranty.
VW cars traditionally have a life of around 5 years before a new generation model is introduced. Considering that, the MQB based Jetta probably may come around end 2015 or early 2016. This is just an assumption.

For the requirements you mentioned, probably its worth giving a look at the Renault Fluence E4D; I think the facelift model will be coming in soon.
vb-saan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th January 2014, 12:54   #1155
Senior - BHPian

@999

You answered your own predicament. If diesel is not your choice then VW is not your choice as well. These german cars are best when it is a diesel engine.

Skoda as a car are no different or they are going to be like least reliable. They are equally as good as any VW or any german car is.

Its their service and support that has put some of the customers in great pain. And we usually don't hear about happy owners anyway on a regular basis.Example look at my VW thread. Its three years and hardly any updates. I may be active if i had a lemon. So skoda stories are definitely about how the dealers and service centers are handling the customers. Its not the car as such for some of the problems are present in most of the cars.

VFM - There is nothing as good a VFM as the Superb is.
VW2010 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks