Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2013, 16:29   #1096
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
They are but most of the dealers hardly budge on them. They have made it kinda mandatory to pay them, this so called handling charges. I recently bought Figo and got handling charges off, as a part of deal I negotiated with them. However, for my brothers Linea, they didn't agreed and as a result, I had to pay them.
Higher the price of the car, higher these charges become. BMW is charging 25000 as handling charges.
Old 20th November 2013, 16:43   #1097
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B747 View Post
Handling charges are illegal, please find a link here http://articles.timesofindia.indiati...-strict-action
Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
They are but most of the dealers hardly budge on them. They have made it kinda mandatory to pay them, this so called handling charges. I recently bought Figo and got handling charges off, as a part of deal I negotiated with them. However, for my brothers Linea, they didn't agreed and as a result, I had to pay them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Higher the price of the car, higher these charges become. BMW is charging 25000 as handling charges.
Handling charges can easily be avoided by registering the car our-self.

This is a very simple process. I recently did it myself.

Details: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3258242
Chethan B G is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2013, 16:46   #1098
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post

This is a very simple process. I recently did it myself.
The handling charges/ logistic charges are something that the dealer is charging. I really doubt you can save on those even if you register the car yourself.

Edit: Confirmed. You still need to pay the handling charges and they have nothing to with the road tax.

Last edited by drmohitg : 20th November 2013 at 16:59.
Old 20th November 2013, 16:55   #1099
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not true. I was charged 6k as handling for the Vento which I registered myself. This is also known in different names as logistics / delivery / PDI charges. And I believe that even if we are able to make the dealer cut on these charges, they will deduct this amount from the discounts they offer.

The one we can avoid is registration charges of around 500/- odd, by registering ourselves.
Old 20th November 2013, 17:13   #1100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
The handling charges/ logistic charges are something that the dealer is charging. I really doubt you can save on those even if you register the car yourself.
As explained by most dealers, handling charges are "out of pocket expenses" uncured during registration. Actually, There is no charges to be paid as "Bribe" at the RTO. Indirectly, dealer is trying to charge the customer, to cover his registration over-heads.

Logistic charges / Godown charges / Stock-yard charges... etc are all bogus and illegal.
Old 20th November 2013, 17:22   #1101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As explained by most dealers, handling charges are "out of pocket expenses" uncured during registration. Actually, There is no charges to be paid as "Bribe" at the RTO. Indirectly, dealer is trying to charge the customer, to cover his registration over-heads.

Logistic charges / Godown charges / Stock-yard charges... etc are all bogus and illegal.
They are illegal but 99% dealers do not budge on these charges. And higher the cost of the car, higher are these charges. I even tried showing the dealer the TOI article but they don't budge and accept it.
Anyways we are going off topic here and let the discussion be about the Jetta.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2013, 19:04   #1102
BHPian

I had talked about it. .. but they said that can't be removed.And since I didn't want to leave the car in showroom once it arrived, I was in a hurry.
Old 20th November 2013, 22:07   #1103
BHPian

I feel cheated when dealers do such kind of practices. Why are they looking at every instant to try and loot the customer. Let them provide a unique or a better kind of service to the customer which sets them apart from the rest , I am ready to pay for a service like that and I am certainly not prepared and I will NEVER pay for something which is doubtful and is charged unnecessarily. When are dealers going to even learn?. What kind of action are the parent companies taking or are they even looking at such petty issues and see how it impacts a customer in the long run. I have experienced this even with bikes wherein the Yamaha dealer just refused to disclose what this handling charge was and gave a blunt and a rude answer for my query. Why are we the Scapegoats ?.
Old 21st November 2013, 08:04   #1104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg
They are illegal but 99% dealers do not budge on these charges. And higher the cost of the car, higher are these charges. I even tried showing the dealer the TOI article but they don't budge and accept it. Anyways we are going off topic here and let the discussion be about the Jetta.
Oops i was the guy who started all this. Just could not digest the fact that around 10k is being given out for no good reason. This shows what kind of a control the parent companies have over the dealers. Period.
Old 27th November 2013, 19:30   #1105
BHPian

Ok i dont know whether i can ask this question here or not , if this post is in the wrong place plz direct me where i need to go. I have a query about a car upgrade and i have been keenly following with all the views of jetta here on this thread. I am deciding between the jetta and the passat. How different are these two cars apart from the 10 lakh price difference. Are the maintaining costs similar and which car of these two would be more engaging to drive and cheaper and trouble free to maintain in the long run?
Old 29th November 2013, 00:56   #1106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red's View Post
Ok i dont know whether i can ask this question here or not , if this post is in the wrong place plz direct me where i need to go. I have a query about a car upgrade and i have been keenly following with all the views of jetta here on this thread. I am deciding between the jetta and the passat. How different are these two cars apart from the 10 lakh price difference. Are the maintaining costs similar and which car of these two would be more engaging to drive and cheaper and trouble free to maintain in the long run?
There are a lot of differences between the two cars. Though general characteristics such as good ride , handling , tough build quality etc are same but Passat is incrementally better than Jetta in each and every way.

1. Passat's engine has more power 168 bhp v/s 138 in Jetta and 350 N-m torque vs 320 N-m in the Jetta so then Passat has better performance.

2. Passat is more spacious and has better ride quality.

3. Passat's feature list simply blows away the jetta
highine variant has
a) Automated self-parking system ( steering moves on its own will parking)
b) Air-conditioned seats.
c) nappa leather interiors.
d) sunroof
e) keyless entry and go
f) electric sunblind
g) rear parking camera
and many more

4) Passat's interior quality is vastly superior to that of the Jetta like the quality of plastics , attention to details , nifty ergonomics etc.

but

passat's A/C S**ks I mean it can't handle tropical heat well , infact i10 also has better A/C than passat's. Infact I keenly remember the sweating of my palms and slight suffocation at the back during 40 mins drive in Delhi in my friend's brand new Passat during the month of May.

Jetta has better A/C than passat ( but still just very pedestrian by Japanese/Korean/american standards).

Jetta distinctly feels more nimble than passat.

I'm also considering a car in that price range (had booked the city but did not like it so will canceled it) and jetta or octavia will be my pick.
fuelinmyveins is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2013, 12:03   #1107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red's View Post
Compared to the cars one segment above, like Passat / Superb / A4 / 3 Series ...etc, Jetta Tdi does most things similar, to an extent of 80/90%. This reference is only on driving dynamics and not on snob value / feel-good factors. You get Jetta for a much cheaper price - This makes a Jetta VFM.

Feel-good factor and space - Depends on an individual's requirement - One has to decide for himself.

On maintenance, Jetta will be Similar / cheaper compared to the other cars mentioned. One can also use the extra cash saved, for maintenance; Please refer to the "Mega spare part price survey" in the August 2013 ACI edition.

Between Jetta & Octavia; IMHO, Jetta for Diesel & Octavia for Petrol. All the best!!

Last edited by Chethan B G : 29th November 2013 at 12:06.
Old 29th November 2013, 12:30   #1108
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Compared to the cars one segment above, like Passat / Superb / A4 / 3 Series ...etc, Jetta Tdi does most things similar, to an extent of 80/90%. This reference is only on driving dynamics and not on snob value / feel-good factors. You get Jetta for a much cheaper price - This makes a Jetta VFM.
Since you only speak on driving dynamics, I'd have to ask you to leave the 3 series of out this. While the VAG cars are similar, and are all front wheel drive. The 3 series is a different ball game altogether.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 29th November 2013 at 12:43.
Akshay1234 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th November 2013, 12:40   #1109
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Since you only speak on driving dynamics, I'd have to ask you to leave the 3 series of out this. While the VAG cars are similar, are all front wheel drive. The 3 series is a different ball game altogether.
I own a Jetta but i agree with you. You cannot dispute a good RWD set up. The Jetta is a very competent car but exciting, it is not, the only front wheel drive cars that meet that are the 1985-1995 Peugeots and VW golfs
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th November 2013, 14:23   #1110
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Since you only speak on driving dynamics, I'd have to ask you to leave the 3 series of out this. While the VAG cars are similar, and are all front wheel drive. The 3 series is a different ball game altogether.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I own a Jetta but i agree with you. You cannot dispute a good RWD set up. The Jetta is a very competent car but exciting, it is not, the only front wheel drive cars that meet that are the 1985-1995 Peugeots and VW golfs
Ofcourse the 3 series is superior than the Jetta but is it 2 times superior considering it's twice as much as a Jetta.

Secondly, where are the roads to extract the superior handling of the 3 series vs the Jetta? Ok, maybe we have the roads but what about the driver ability to extract the ability of the RWD and balance of the 3 series? In the real world how much difference will it make?

The 3 series is definitely a bench mark and it's not right to compare with the BMW but given our road conditions and driver abilities it's safe to say the Jetta is 80% capable at 50% of the price. That's a much better proposition if your not after the brand.

Price wise it's getting tricky cause the discounts on the 320d and lack of discounts on Jetta means the 50% price advantage is reducing. In which case the BMW is worth it. If you can get a 320d close to 30L, the Jetta is not in contention.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks