Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2013, 14:26   #991
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

alright

within first 20 days of buying the car. one tyre has got a cut on side wall. its kind of 2 cm.

do you guys think i need to replace the tyre? is it ok to get a yokohama as replacement or should i get goodyear. i mean is it important to have all tyres of same brand?
Old 11th October 2013, 05:11   #992
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarendranath View Post
Now that Octavia has been released with a hefty price tag, I wonder if the jetta that rolls out next year will be priced the same or infact more. VW has been positioning its cars higher than skoda so the price may be 25laks or upwards
You're correct, In all likely, the new Jetta, will be positioned above the Octavia - both price wise and quality/mechatronics. This is inline with the parent VW's decision early this year - there is a press release as well, do not have the link handy for now though - to position their brands Audi, VW, Skoda in that order in all global markets they operate irrespective of the brands' positioning in the respective local markets. Though it is debatable if it is a correct move to remove some features out of Skoda stable cars to make them go 'below' their similar segment positioned VW cousins.
Old 11th October 2013, 07:36   #993
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolveins View Post
You're correct, In all likely, the new Jetta, will be positioned above the Octavia - both price wise and quality/mechatronics. This is inline with the parent VW's decision early this year - there is a press release as well, do not have the link handy for now though - to position their brands Audi, VW, Skoda in that order in all global markets they operate irrespective of the brands' positioning in the respective local markets.
Agree on the brand positioning, but can you explain a bit more on the highlighted aspect above? AFAIK, there is no differentiation there – between Skoda, VW and SEAT brands.
Old 11th October 2013, 10:21   #994
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanjeevReddy View Post
A few pics of my jetta

Hey congrats sanjeev!
With a trendline your care is ripe for all kinds of mods. Multifunction steering wheel, Maxidot, tyre pressure monitoring system, oem front and rear parking sensors with graphical display, light and rain sensor retrofit, cruise control.... list is endless.

Philadelphia is a good choice. All in one option for gps, dvd, bluetooth, usb, rvcam! Best part is that it is also can compatible and displays aircon changes.
vinj14 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2013, 11:45   #995
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolveins View Post
You're correct, In all likely, the new Jetta, will be positioned above the Octavia - both price wise and quality/mechatronics. This is inline with the parent VW's decision early this year - there is a press release as well, do not have the link handy for now though - to position their brands Audi, VW, Skoda in that order in all global markets they operate irrespective of the brands' positioning in the respective local markets. Though it is debatable if it is a correct move to remove some features out of Skoda stable cars to make them go 'below' their similar segment positioned VW cousins.
One more thing that i have come across, The new car is just a facelift and is not manufactured on the MQB platform and it has not yet been unveiled so i am guessing it would be an global unveil altogether. Moreover The new Jetta would be a ripped off version of the Octavia. The feature list would be compartively less on the Jetta, which makes Skoda a value for money car brand as intended. The stocks of the current Jetta are still at dealerships and are hardly moving out. Time would tell how good would the new Jetta come out competing with Octavia.Though the current Jetta is an excellent car, When we hear such news it is difficult to settle for old model. I really hope the New Jetta is worth the wait As rumors suggest i hope the New model would be available as early as possible.
Old 11th October 2013, 11:55   #996
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulv View Post
alright

within first 20 days of buying the car. one tyre has got a cut on side wall. its kind of 2 cm.

do you guys think i need to replace the tyre? is it ok to get a yokohama as replacement or should i get goodyear. i mean is it important to have all tyres of same brand?
Hi Rahul,

I'm not sure if a single tyre replacement would affect the ride. May be if all the tires are either symmetrical or asymmetrical it should not make a difference,

But Just a tought

As you tires are brand new, You could try exchanging the complete set(Rest 3 tires).Considering a new tire would cost you around 4000 to 5000. Spending a little extra would rule out all issues with Good Year's like road noise etc.
Amarendranath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2013, 09:37   #997
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarendranath View Post
Though the current Jetta is an excellent car, When we hear such news it is difficult to settle for old model. I really hope the New Jetta is worth the wait As rumors suggest i hope the New model would be available as early as possible.
True. Skoda is considered a premium brand in India. "The people will pay for the brand" strategy won't work in India for Vw. They need to match skoda feature to feature on their cars. That's the only way forward for them.

That means the top end jetta has to have auto dual zone ac, panoramic roof, electric memory seats and xenons with led drls. If they chump out on these features again then Octavia will outsell the jetta daily, monthly and ever so rightly!
Old 12th October 2013, 11:41   #998
Senior - BHPian

IMO, VW has differentiated Jetta as a "well engineered car". Octavia is more about "over all package". I think, it will continue like that.

Any feel-good feature comes with both advantages and dis-advantages. More so, in a German car. I prefer to first analyse the the car as a product, without bells and whistles. Feel-good factors can add value only when the product is supreme.

What ever said and done, I believe that any product is built to a cost. Unfortunately, we can't have the best of both worlds.

It is Jetta all the way for me - Bells & whistles will not make any difference.
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2013, 09:47   #999
BHPian

Again, very subjective! Felt the Laura was built better and felt nicer inside compared to jetta. Thought that "feel good" factor was slightly missing in this jetta. And I doubt the jetta is a better engineered car.

Although when some one has to choose between two similarly engineered cars , they might go for the car which has more features and seems like a better overall package. Atleast if one brand was better then it would change things. But unfortunately for VW, Indians don't really consider vw as a more prestigious brand than skoda.

But there's no right or wrong here everyone is entitled to their opinions and rightly so!

Last edited by vinj14 : 13th October 2013 at 09:48.
vinj14 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2013, 10:25   #1000
BHPian

Any news of the all new Jetta ?? Since the Octavia is out is VW planning to launch a facelift model in 2014 ?? .
Old 16th October 2013, 15:12   #1001
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarendranath
Hi Guys, I just got a call from one of the sales representatives saying that jetta last lot of vehicles are left, any bookings for the old car after November will take time to be delivered as the new jetta is on its way is what he hinted! Anyone else got to know about this ?
Any specific date or time mentioned ?? . If the new car is on the way then VW should be offering hefty discounts on the car . I remember seeing some good discounts on the Jetta and Passat way back in may 2013.
Old 16th October 2013, 17:55   #1002
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paras211 View Post
A few problems have cropped up. I left the lights on one night and the battery conked off. Vw replaced the battery saying that it couldn't be recharged due to some fault.
Now my ac compressor doesn't come on all the time I have to hit the switch a few times to get it to work. It cuts off at times to when it shouldn't.
My mirror doesn't go dark anymore when someone flashes lights from behind.
Going for the second service Tom. Hope these issues are sorted.
Another mishap took place where dad broke the adjustable armrest trying to get to the driver seat from the passenger door. Took it along for the service.

Got the car back from vw thane, its becoming shittier everytime I go there. Just the amount of time i spend waiting for someone to take my car or bill it , give delivery , to get it out of park, is too long. So the rear view mirror was fixed,they tried to fix the armrest but it broke another lock , aircon was said to be fixed , but it wasn't I realised the next morning. I went back, was advised to bring the vehicle whenever convenient and the armrest would have to be replaced at a mind boggling 24k.

So I give them the car the next monday and file an insurance claim for the armrest which they took very reluctantly, "saar nai hota interior pe claim bla bla". I made them do it and the claim was passed. Had a most frustrating week with the SA not taking my calls and not calling me back , 1 in 5-6 calls returned. So i had no clue when I were get the car back. On sat I finally got a little vocal and took the car in the evening , the technician was most helpful in providing updates and explaining what was done to the car. Much more helpful than the SA.
A solenoid valve that allows the aircon gas to move had gone bad and was replaced under warranty. Time taken 6 days.
The arm rest has been ordered and will take about 10 days to arrive.
Where do the bombay Jettas go for servicing , I am dreading to go there again .

Last edited by paras211 : 16th October 2013 at 18:08.
Old 16th October 2013, 19:10   #1003
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paras211 View Post

Where do the bombay Jettas go for servicing , I am dreading to go there again .
The only part that scared me while buying the Jetta was the after-sales. Just before my car was due for service, there was a check engine light and the air-con wouldn't go to re-circulation mode, only fresh air mode. I took the car the next day for the first service with a lot of apprehension. The experience actually turned out to be good. My car was delivered the next day and they diagonized the problem to a rat having bitten the temperature sensor wires. So atleast for now my service experience remains good. BTW, this was at VW Bangalore (or Downtown VW) at Hosur road. Hope the experience continues to be good. I also hope VW (and Skoda) realize that having a good car is not enough, providing the required support ( in a reasonable time) is what gets them repeat sales and new customers. Good luck!
Old 17th October 2013, 12:35   #1004
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red's View Post
Any specific date or time mentioned ?? . If the new car is on the way then VW should be offering hefty discounts on the car . I remember seeing some good discounts on the Jetta and Passat way back in may 2013.
Hi,

Nope, infact no information on this with anybody. Every dealer tries to pretend as if this news is rubbish. Also no discounts are being offered on the jetta(AT). Atleast in hyderabad. I read it on the internet that New jetta is not MQB.
Old 17th October 2013, 12:42   #1005
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarendranath
Hi, Nope, infact no information on this with anybody. Every dealer tries to pretend as if this news is rubbish. Also no discounts are being offered on the jetta(AT). Atleast in hyderabad. I read it on the internet that New jetta is not MQB.
Thanks . I was keen on the new Jetta . In the market for a car in the range if 25lakh . Was impressed with the Octavia , but the torsion beam setup on the car was a bit of a damper to me . But then Jetta is poorly equipped . Confused as to which one to go for !!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks