Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2012, 09:32   #466
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
I had booked a white CL and was promised delivery in may-end. Just got of the call with the sales guy and apparently the car can only be delivered by Aug-end. Now re-thinking the color or probably even the car. If the facelifted cruze is launched by then and whichever I can get earlier I will buy that.
Thats unfortunate. I think Jetta is more in demand in the South (Mumbai, Pune, Bangalore), hence the higher waiting period. Here in NCR, its not that high moving...When I had ordered my CL in April, the dealership had ready cars in white, black and brown - the dealership promised 20 days lead time for the grey which we wanted. And they delivered in time.

BTW, i had my first 'incident' with the car. Had parked the car in a neighborhood market. And suddenly a dust storm hit. When we came back, realized that the door window glass (right rear) was broken. The glass lay shattered through the rear cabin.

Frantically searched for the window part in the service stations in NCR - found the part in a workshop in Noida. Got it replaced yesterday - damage 3600 INR....

Windshield experts do not stock the car's window glass - and only one out of 5 workshops in NCR stocked the glass. Had the glass not been available, the lead time to procure the glass would have been 20 days (since its imported from Germany :-( )
Old 23rd May 2012, 19:46   #467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipsanand View Post
Thats unfortunate. I think Jetta is more in demand in the South (Mumbai, Pune, Bangalore), hence the higher waiting period. Here in NCR, its not that high moving...When I had ordered my CL in April, the dealership had ready cars in white, black and brown - the dealership promised 20 days lead time for the grey which we wanted. And they delivered in time.
Spoke to the dealer today about the delivery. They said that there is a distribution discrepancy for South India and that they have conveyed it to VW. I was also told that I would be given price protection in case there is an increase in price (because of the falling rupee). But they see no price increase in the near future.
Old 11th June 2012, 15:09   #468
BHPian

Petrol Jetta Finally coming?

A spate of articles in oncars, cardekho etc., indicating that Jetta Petrol and and refresh of current diesel models are expected by end of June.

Diesel model refresh, according to the articles will address the ACC issue!.

Articles are not clear (yet) on whether VW will launch the petrol model with 1.4 or the much loved 1.8.

I did not fully understand this statement though "On one hand the 1.4-liter TSI petrol engine is pretty frugal for the Indian car market but for the cost conscious buyers, Volkswagen India is expected to equip the car with the 1.8-liter TSI petrol engine as it tried, tested and more cost effective."

Anyone in the learned forum has a better idea?

Thanks
Ajith
Old 12th June 2012, 12:12   #469
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajith-s View Post
Petrol Jetta Finally coming?

A spate of articles in oncars, cardekho etc., indicating that Jetta Petrol and and refresh of current diesel models are expected by end of June.

Articles are not clear (yet) on whether VW will launch the petrol model with 1.4 or the much loved 1.8.

I did not fully understand this statement though "On one hand the 1.4-liter TSI petrol engine is pretty frugal for the Indian car market but for the cost conscious buyers, Volkswagen India is expected to equip the car with the 1.8-liter TSI petrol engine as it tried, tested and more cost effective."

Anyone in the learned forum has a better idea?

Thanks
Ajith
Hi Ajith,

Quoting Hormazd @ twitter - He drove the Jetta 1.4 TSI yesterday night @ 3 am - that's when the VW folks launched it. He mentions the gearing to be quite tall & while there is a strong mid-range punch & the motor is free revving but he found it not to be hugely responsive @ low revs.

Note: I have edited his tweet slightly - putting it from a 3rd person perspective rather than quoting him verbatim.
vkaul1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2012, 12:28   #470
BHPian

Autocar now has a review of the VW Jetta 1.4 TSI 120BHP motor:
Volkswagen Jetta TSi review, test drive - Review - Autocar India
kryptonite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2012, 12:30   #471
Senior - BHPian

The 1.8 TSI motor is a gem and it is another mistake from VW to bring in the newer but depleted 1.4 motor.
Old 12th June 2012, 15:19   #472
BHPian

Thank you vkaul1, and kryptonite.

I called up a dealer in Bangalore and spoke to the "team lead" - they had no clue about the launch. They seemed very excited though!, and promised to get the details from the "management" regarding availability and pricing.

They sent me their email ID and I have sent them the autocar link.

Will update as soon as I hear from them.

Quite surprising that even their "GM/Head of Sales" had no clue.....
Old 12th June 2012, 21:49   #473
BHPian

Interesting email update from the VW Palace Cross (Bangalore) dealer, who had requested me to share the news on Petrol Jetta launch announcement (which they did not know about)

"The Volkswagen Jetta Petrol Version is already in the production line, the official launch is on 25th June 2012. Probably we might get cars by end of the month…., will keep you posted on the same…

Assuring our best services at all times….."

I really liked the "in the production line" bit.

On the phone he gave me another insight. "This is fully German model, will be made in Mexico, and will only be assembled in Aurangabad"
I never asked him where the car was made!!!.....
Old 13th June 2012, 00:09   #474
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I have a feeling the launch of the 1.4 TFSI instead of the 1.8 TSI had something to do with the rising petrol costs.

It's good to see VW being proactive, regarding customer feedback. I bet there were several complaints with respect to the missing auto-climate-control feature in a 20 lakh car.
Old 13th June 2012, 00:31   #475
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

On the phone he gave me another insight. "This is fully German model, will be made in Mexico, and will only be assembled in Aurangabad"
I never asked him where the car was made!!!.....
That happens with all Jettas, its called CKD or completely knocked down. The assembly happens in India. And it gets saved from extra duties which are levied on a car imported fully assembled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I have a feeling the launch of the 1.4 TFSI instead of the 1.8 TSI had something to do with the rising petrol costs.
Its simply because VW hasn't put the 1.8 tsi in this Jetta anywhere in the world. Only the 1.4 is available. So they probably wouldn't want to spend on R&D to fit in the 1.8 when it would not even sell much in India.
Akshay1234 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2012, 10:47   #476
BHPian

Did some research on this 1.4L engine.

The version they've brought to India for the Jetta is the regular turbo-charged version and not the 'TwinCharger' version that also has a SuperCharger. I would've personally preferred to have seen the TwinCharger engine in the Jetta - which happens to feature in this year's Polo-R-Cup anyway. When they already have this engine in their Polo cup cars, I think it would've been easier to just also cascade them down into the street cars, perhaps in a lower state of tune (140/160/170ps maybe).

Features of the 1.4L Turbocharged engine:
The regular 1.4L turbocharged engine that the Jetta now has in India has a cast aluminium alloy, four valves per cylinder (16 valves total), low-friction roller finger cam followers with automatic hydraulic valve clearance compensation, roller chain driven Double Overhead camshaft (DOHC), Continuous adjusting Variable intake Valve timing, and a cast alloy throttle body with electronically controlled Bosch "E-Gas" 'drive by wire' throttle butterfly valve, not to mention a two-part plastic intake manifold and a Turbocharger incorporated in exhaust manifold with maximum boost pressure 1.8 bars (26.1 psi). The engine also features a water-cooled intercooler integrated into intake manifold , reduced frictional losses, optimised camshafts, new intake ports, new high-pressure injector valves and is also 14kgs lighter than the TwinCharger models, in order to improve fuel economy and reduce emissions.

States of tune for the 1.4L Turbocharged petrol:
122ps @ 5000rpm, 200NM~210NM @ 1,500-4,000 rpm - this is what we have in India and in many cars abroad
131ps @ 5500rpm, 220NM @ 1,750-3,500/4,000 rpm - this is available in select cars abroad
- These engines apparently require a recommended 95 RON ultra-low sulphur unleaded petrol (ULSP). I think we were given the former 122ps state of tune as it must run well with 91 octane as well.

Features of the 1.4L Twincharger engine:
Shares most of the features of the regular turbocharged version, but in addition features a multi-ribbed belt-driven fifth-generation Eaton Roots-type positive displacement SuperCharger operated by a magnetic clutch integrated in a module inside the water pump, internal step-down ratio on the input end of the synchronisation gear pair, and KKK turbocharger with integrated wastegate connected in series administrated by a control flap, 2.5 bars (36.3 psi) pressure at 1,500 rpm and a front-mounted intercooler (FMIC). The mechanical supercharger compressor, driven at 1.5 times the speed of the crankshaft, mainly operates at low engine speeds from tick-over up to 2,400 revolutions per minute (rpm) to increase low-end torque. At engine speeds just above idle, the belt-driven supercharger provides a boost pressure of 1.2 bars (17.4 psi). The turbocharger assumes full effectiveness at middle revs, and the engine map disengages the clutch-controlled supercharger at a maximum upper limit of 3,500 rpm; the supercharger will then be bypassed once the turbocharger spools up and reaches sufficient speed to provide adequate boost in the upper rev-ranges.

States of tune for the 1.4L TwinCharger petrol:
140ps @ 5800 rpm, 220NM @ 1,750-4,000 rpm - street version
160ps @ 5800 rpm, 240NM @ 1,750-4,500 rpm - street version, higher end cars
170ps @ 6000 rpm, 240NM @ 1,750-4,500 rpm - street version, higher end cars
180ps @ 6200 rpm, 250NM @ 2,000-4,500 rpm - GTI, RS, Cup versions only
- All the above Twincharger engines need 98 RON 'Super Unleaded' ultra-low sulphur unleaded petrol (ULSP) - 95 RON may be used, but will result in lower power output. This is most likely one of the reasons why the TwinCharger wasn't chosen for street use in India, but I'm glad the Polo-R cup atleast received the 180ps engine as I'm sure they can equip them with the right fuel required.

So, fuel economy, emissions & petrol quality/octane content seem to be the motivating factors for choosing the 122ps turbocharged engine for the street Jetta, in lieu of the TwinCharger models.

#Sources compiled from: many websites ;-)
kryptonite is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2012, 11:53   #477
Distinguished - BHPian

With 1.4 TSI who are they targeting?-
  • Those seeking FE? They will still pay twice for the fuel costs compared TDI owners.
  • Those seeking Power? Why should they pick this one over Laura 1.8TSI, Civic or Corolla. Even 140hp 320nm TDI variant has more grunt.

I know Jetta worldwide does not come with 1.8TSI anywhere and fitting it only for India would have meant spending $$$ in R&D. But was this Petrol variant really required? VW has cleverly stayed clear of DSG7 Related thread. (Skoda Superb DSG 7 Speed DQ200 failures- China gets official reaction, why not India?) here by only offering a manual transmission. It is the only Automatic gearbox which this car can be equipped with.

Being a optimist, the good thing i see is, new gen Jetta atleast does not come with a under-powered MPFI engine like the previous gen Jetta.

Any idea about the ARAI FE? Is it significantly better than 1.8TSI?
.anshuman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2012, 12:06   #478
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
new gen Jetta atleast does not come with a under-powered MPFI engine like the previous gen Jetta.
Yes, in fact they should use this engine in Vento/Polo and give Jetta the 1.8TSi one. The petrol engine in the Vento is out-dated and so are all the Polo engines.
Old 13th June 2012, 12:40   #479
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
With 1.4 TSI who are they targeting?
I agree, and on top of that, there is no highline variant. So effectively, it’s pretty much like the Laura TSI. The added advantage over the Laura maybe the additional airbags/ESP, but clearly inferior on power. And this surely will cost a couple of lakhs more than the Laura TSI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman
Being a optimist, the good thing i see is, new gen Jetta atleast does not come with a under-powered MPFI engine like the previous gen Jetta.
That’s the only plus I can derive from this launch. I hope they will now start getting the 1.2/1.4 TSI engines for the likes of Vento/Polo/Rapid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman
Any idea about the ARAI FE? Is it significantly better than 1.8TSI?
I did a quick check on the user reviews on 1.4 TSI Jetta here in Singapore. It does not look like a major improvement in FE over the 1.8TSI. The average mentioned is in the range of 10km/litre. Infact the Jetta Sport with twincharged 1.4TSI 160hp seems to be more fuel efficient than the base version.
Note that only DSG variants are sold here.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2012, 14:05   #480
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I did a quick check on the user reviews on 1.4 TSI Jetta here in Singapore. It does not look like a major improvement in FE over the 1.8TSI.
Just checked the back of Laura owner's manual. Here is a quick comparison of 1.4 TSI vs 1.8 TSI-

1.4TSI, 1.8TSI in Skoda Laura

0-100kph
9.7 secs, 8.1secs

FE (in ltr./100 km)Euro cycle
Combination-
6.3=15.87kpl, 6.9=14.49kpl

Top Speed
203kph, 219kph

CO2 (in g/km)
148, 158
.anshuman is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed