Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2012, 03:26   #376
BHPian

Anyone having any opinion about the Jetta is requested to withhold it until he/she test drives it. People I know have changed their decisions and ditched other cars within a span of few minutes spent in the Jetta.

I have mentioned this n number of times in this forum itself , if the front resembles a 9 lac rupee car, the rear resembles a 40 lac rupee car which is inevitable considering the family ties. I own the new Jetta and even today I confuse other Jettas with A4s!

If crossing the 1800 rpm mark in this car doesn't put a grin on your face then nothing in this segment will. The car manages awesome handling with amazing braking and yet has best in class rear seat ride.

If VW gives me top class levels of the basic ingredients which make a car, I would not complain if it didn't have a couple of frills like ACC or leather seats.

For example... No offence to Altis owners, but the new Altis had all the frills but failed miserably in the drivability part. So then my question is would you enjoy and prefer a car which comes with an automated cooling equipment or one which gives pure driving pleasure?
lamboguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2012, 14:17   #377
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

lamboguy.. no one is really doubting the way the Jetta drives. In fact it has been declared a winner by almost every auto journalist. The discussion was based around the absurd pricing. I will buy the Jetta over any other car if it was 1 L or 2L more than the others. Not at current prices.
nik_kapur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2012, 12:01   #378
BHPian

Dear BHPians I am looking to upgrade / change the halogens on my Jetta.

To be honest I am quite comfortable with the lighting that is being provided by the stock set - I have driven a couple of times to Mumbai & more recently to Hyderabad (which included driving through pelting rain for sometime).

But what I am looking for is changing the yellow to white light - not looking to change the wattage etc so that no need to add relays etc - more like a simple swap out.

I was checking out the Philips India site (Essential Vision looked promising); however the challenge that I have is that I am unable to locate the specs of the stock lamps so that I can look @ replacement bulbs.

Can someone pls help with the above..
Old 16th April 2012, 12:11   #379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
lamboguy.. no one is really doubting the way the Jetta drives. In fact it has been declared a winner by almost every auto journalist. The discussion was based around the absurd pricing. I will buy the Jetta over any other car if it was 1 L or 2L more than the others. Not at current prices.
nik_kapur, frankly.. Car buying, for some, is a passionate decision. If it has to be a Jetta, it has to be it....

Love Jetta's looks. The front might resemble Polo/Vento but it's an amazing looker overall, especially in person.

The boat I am in - I wanted to buy a Diesel auto, however Jetta HL DSG is way too expensive, out of my budget.

Competition was eliminated cuz:
Cruze - way too flashy, common
Laura - dated, plain rear styling, though IMO the best car auto VFM mongst the lot
Corolla - never considered because its no more hep to be in a Corolla..IMO .. :-)

So compromised to the manual, and now deciding between Jetta TL and CL. TL fits our stretched budget, but CL has certain goodies which we might miss badly (steering mounted controls, fog lamps, leatherette seat covers, better audio...).

We've been also told that we can't put on seat covers on these cars since the airbags will not function if we do so...

Any advice on the variant from others who have been faced with a similar decision???
Old 16th April 2012, 18:54   #380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipsanand View Post
nik_kapur, frankly.. Car buying, for some, is a passionate decision. If it has to be a Jetta, it has to be it....

Love Jetta's looks. The front might resemble Polo/Vento but it's an amazing looker overall, especially in person.

The boat I am in - I wanted to buy a Diesel auto, however Jetta HL DSG is way too expensive, out of my budget.

Competition was eliminated cuz:
Cruze - way too flashy, common
Laura - dated, plain rear styling, though IMO the best car auto VFM mongst the lot
Corolla - never considered because its no more hep to be in a Corolla..IMO .. :-)

So compromised to the manual, and now deciding between Jetta TL and CL. TL fits our stretched budget, but CL has certain goodies which we might miss badly (steering mounted controls, fog lamps, leatherette seat covers, better audio...).

We've been also told that we can't put on seat covers on these cars since the airbags will not function if we do so...

Any advice on the variant from others who have been faced with a similar decision???
I am exactly in the same boat. Like the Jetta, but unable to decide between TL & CL. TL lacks some features like electric foldable mirrors, steering controls, aux-in etc, which I really need (especially the foldable mirrors in Blr). I am also ok with the cruze. Having a hard time deciding. I still have to take a longer TD of the Jetta. Hopefully will decide by this month end. let me know if you get any discount. I am able to get 50K off (corporate discount). Need to haggle more. I believe its easier to get more discounts on the TL since its a slowing moving variant.
Old 17th April 2012, 10:26   #381
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma

I am exactly in the same boat. Like the Jetta, but unable to decide between TL & CL. TL lacks some features like electric foldable mirrors, steering controls, aux-in etc, which I really need (especially the foldable mirrors in Blr). I am also ok with the cruze. Having a hard time deciding. I still have to take a longer TD of the Jetta. Hopefully will decide by this month end. let me know if you get any discount. I am able to get 50K off (corporate discount). Need to haggle more. I believe its easier to get more discounts on the TL since its a slowing moving variant.
Shiva, I've gone through this segment literally with a fine-toothed comb just recently during the process of zeroing in on my own car. If its gotta be the Jetta, I would without a doubt, advise you to steer clear of the TL trim. It is just too spartan and unbecoming of a 15 L car. The CL is reasonably endowed and even offers decent VFM. So if you're hellbent on the Jetta, pushing your budget cap for the CL might be worth it. On the other hand, the Cruz is a fantastic package by itself. Great ride and handling, all the bells and whistles, pretty solid build et al. Perhaps you can compromise a tad on the Jetta's superior handling and pick the equally formidable Cruz LTZ which is loaded to the gills and may well end up putting money right back in your pocket - especially over the CL trim.
Old 17th April 2012, 11:01   #382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur
+1 to that NK.

The HL DSG is almost 22 L OTR here in Mumbai now which is nothing short of a blatant rip-off. I mean 22 is dangerously flirting with the Superb territory. I've said this before and I will say it again - at that sorta price point, in that segment, the Laura L&K is an unbeatable offering. One heck of a package! I'll pick her any day of the week.

And all this coming from a die-hard Jetta fan that was this close to buying one but was compelled last minute to look elsewhere on pricing and common logic alone!
Old 17th April 2012, 12:03   #383
BHPian

can someone advise me of the exact feature difference between TL and CL trims? the brochures seem to be in-accurate, so if someone could help identify the differences, will help...

Listing the ones i am aware of (features absent in TL compared to CL):
- No steering wheel controls
- No leatherite seats
- No chrome/wood finish
- No fog lamps
Old 17th April 2012, 12:26   #384
BHPian

Quote:
can someone advise me of the exact feature difference between TL and CL trims? the brochures seem to be in-accurate, so if someone could help identify the differences, will help...

Listing the ones i am aware of (features absent in TL compared to CL):
- No steering wheel controls
- No leatherite seats
- No chrome/wood finish
- No fog lamps
Ipsanand,
Here are the other missing features
- rear armrest
-auto dimming mirror
- display plus (its just a simple display in TL)
- Light and sight package with rain sensor
- Parking sensors without display (acoustic only)
- sideview foldable mirrors
- Aux-in with 8 speakers

The brochure I received is pretty accurate.

Regards,
Suhas
Old 17th April 2012, 12:45   #385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
Ipsanand,
Here are the other missing features
- rear armrest
-auto dimming mirror
- display plus (its just a simple display in TL)
- Light and sight package with rain sensor
- Parking sensors without display (acoustic only)
- sideview foldable mirrors
- Aux-in with 8 speakers

The brochure I received is pretty accurate.

Regards,
Suhas
Hey thanks Suhas. Is the audio different in the TL - if so in what manner? Considering that its tough to change the stock system, a difference here would itself make the CL more meaningful. Plus the fact that the fabric seats in TL can't be changed to leather after market cuz of the airbags..

Irwin
Old 17th April 2012, 13:46   #386
BHPian

Quote:
Hey thanks Suhas. Is the audio different in the TL - if so in what manner? Considering that its tough to change the stock system, a difference here would itself make the CL more meaningful. Plus the fact that the fabric seats in TL can't be changed to leather after market cuz of the airbags..

Irwin
Hi Irwin,
As far as I know, the audio system in CL comes with 8 speakers and an Aux-in (the TL has no aux-in and comes with 4 speakers only). I will ask about it tomorrow when I am doing the TD. Did you get any discounts on the Jetta?

Suhas
Old 17th April 2012, 19:49   #387
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Irwin,
As far as I know, the audio system in CL comes with 8 speakers and an Aux-in (the TL has no aux-in and comes with 4 speakers only). I will ask about it tomorrow when I am doing the TD. Did you get any discounts on the Jetta?

Suhas
The TL DOES have Aux-in.
Old 18th April 2012, 11:13   #388
BHPian

So its final.. we're buying the CL Manual.

Still to decide on the colors - White and Black are readily available, Platinum Grey has a lead time of 4 weeks.

Fellow Jetta owners, how much discounts were you able to extract from dealers? Pls advise so i can negotiate appropriately...

Irwin
Old 18th April 2012, 14:02   #389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
The TL DOES have Aux-in.
I had a TD of the Jetta today. The sales person told me that the TL does not come with aux-in.
Quote:
So its final.. we're buying the CL Manual.

Still to decide on the colors - White and Black are readily available, Platinum Grey has a lead time of 4 weeks.

Fellow Jetta owners, how much discounts were you able to extract from dealers? Pls advise so i can negotiate appropriately...

Irwin
Congrats Irwin. I had a TD of the Jetta today. Loved the engine and ride. Its pretty linear and felt no significant lag. The problem is, the dealers here in Bangalore do not have manual for TD, only the auto. I was offered a corporate discount of 49K + 15% off on the insurance on the CL. Nothing else.

Can anyone tell me the service/maintenance cost of the Jetta? What is the price of some consumables (air filter, fuel filter, engine oil etc)? Want to know how it compares with Cruze.
Old 18th April 2012, 14:44   #390
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Congrats Irwin. I had a TD of the Jetta today. Loved the engine and ride. Its pretty linear and felt no significant lag. The problem is, the dealers here in Bangalore do not have manual for TD, only the auto. I was offered a corporate discount of 49K + 15% off on the insurance on the CL. Nothing else.

Well, the dealer wanted to borrow my car for an enitre sunday! considering they have Polo/ Vonto's of every mechanical config for test drive, I dont think a spare Jetta would go amiss!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks