Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2021, 03:48   #3676
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

I have a 2012 jetta which has done 83k km. I bought it in 2015 and currently want to sell it due to the 10 year old diesel rule in Delhi. Its a highline DSG. What should be the usual asking price for this car ?
Old 7th December 2021, 22:11   #3677
BHPian

Atleast one ABS sensor usually fails within a year or so and it's really difficult to justify having to spend more than 6000 to replace it. Why are the sensors prices so exorbitantly?

A quick compare shows Maruti sensors are priced around 600 and Honda around 1000 on Boodmo. Are VW sensors any different to be priced so high?
Old 27th December 2021, 13:28   #3678

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkunal.shah View Post
Finally got myself 2015 Jetta TDI AT last month.

the left headlight is not working & i am getting error "Check Front Leaf Dipped Beam" i tried replacing the bulb but still get the same error, went to the Thane Bosh Service center (experience with VW Service has been bad) they checked everything & were able to get the headlight back without replacing the bulb, but said they've fixed it for now & it may not last long, after a few days i get the same message again.
As per Bosch the Headlight Control Module / Unit has to be replaced which would cost 18-20k, wanted to check with Jetta owners if this needs replacement & if the cost valid or i need some other fix.
Congratulations on your Jetta. I have also recently gotten a 2017 TDI AT. It has the same error. I've tried changing the module from a salvaged car and it worked for two days. The same error popped up. What did you end up doing to resolve it?
Old 27th December 2021, 18:31   #3679
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by etype9459 View Post
Congratulations on your Jetta. I have also recently gotten a 2017 TDI AT. It has the same error. I've tried changing the module from a salvaged car and it worked for two days. The same error popped up. What did you end up doing to resolve it?

I took it to FNG, he was able to fix the existing module. Its been over 3 months now & the issue has not popped up again. Costed me 2k
Old 27th December 2021, 19:27   #3680
BHPian

What is a fair price for a 1.25L km run 2015 Highline TDI AT Jetta?

First owner and the Tyres have been changed a mere 5000 km ago. No other problems and full service history.
Old 29th December 2021, 16:57   #3681

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkunal.shah View Post
I took it to FNG, he was able to fix the existing module. Its been over 3 months now & the issue has not popped up again. Costed me 2k
Would you be able to tell how it was resolved so that I can replicate it at my FNG? I can speak to your FNG also if you can PM their number.
Old 30th December 2021, 13:48   #3682
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by etype9459 View Post
Would you be able to tell how it was resolved so that I can replicate it at my FNG? I can speak to your FNG also if you can PM their number.

there was an issue with theBallast connection which he fixed, that worked for me.

you can try this out.
Old 31st December 2021, 16:47   #3683
BHPian

My Jetta's Exide battery died last evening. It was a 74 AH battery installed in Dec 2018 as a replacement under warranty of previous Exide battery which lasted all of two years. So a total of two Exide batteries in 5 years.

I thought of going the online route for battery replacement, never having done that before. Decided to go for Amaron FLO DIN 60AH after seeing many positive reviews here on this forum for Amaron. Batterybhai was quoting Rs 5300 and Batterywale was quoting 5500 both against a MRP of 6300 approx after exchange of old battery.

Since there is an Amaron reseller nearby, I decide to check with him in the morning. He had the FLO 65AH batteries (not 60 AH as required) and quoted Rs 4900 after exchange. It was a good deal so I called him and in 15 mts the battery was changed. Additionally he commented on the solid build quality of Jetta which was worth an extra smile.

All in all a good deal. I have realised that many times offline deals are better bargains than online, unless it is a hard to procure stuff or it means a lot of running around for purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy_shm View Post
Dear Jetta owners,

My wife complained about the rear AC cooling. I owned a 2014 Skoda Rapid TDI before this and as per her rear ac was much better on rapid compared to Jetta :-(

TIA
Rear AC cooling in Jetta is not very good. Try putting a retractable perforated sun curtain on rear windshield. It doesn't obstruct visibility and greatly reduces heat in cabin. Costs around 300 Rs.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 7th January 2022 at 14:04. Reason: Merging back to back posts, corrected typos.
Old 4th January 2022, 08:14   #3684

Today is 2nd January,marking the 12th birthday of my precious German beauty:the Volkswagen Jetta

This car is the best car I've owned to date with few to no problems excepting the occasional abs sensors going off. In the past I've owned a BMW 523i,Hyundai elantra(currently being used alongside the jetta),Toyota corolla and the lovely HM Ambassador but none of them were so easy on me. I remember sending my bmw to the service center every weekend for some or the other issue and ended up selling it at a loss after 3 years,but that's what you get when you buy a second hand car

Coming to my ownership experience, the jetta was purchased for 19.99 lakhs on the 2nd of January 2011. This is the top model,the highline with the 2.0 TDI engine which is truly a magnificent beast. So far I've managed to clock 81k kms on the odo,with many more to come. My driving involves a daily 35-40 km commute to my business and the occasional mumbai-lonavala drives with the family on weekends.

--Silent and smooth engine with good fuel economy(gives 8kmpl in the city and about 15 on the highways)
--Good quality and plush interiors with wide range of features
--Properly insulated cabin. Outside noises sound far away.
--Huge boot for luggage.
--Comfortable suspension that does not compromise on handling.
--Small steering wheel, weighs up nicely in dynamic mode.
--Automatic Headlights and Wipers are truly a blessing!
--Strong and Sturdy build quality,as expected from a VW
--6 airbags
--Quite feature loaded with a 8 inch anti glare display with phone connectivity and navigation inbuilt.

Dislikes (keep in mind that this car is 12 years old and was way ahead of its time with the features )

--No rear-wheel/ all-wheel drive.
--Strictly average sound quality from the 10 speaker system.
--Car is front heavy. Can be easily felt at high speeds if boot is empty.
--Gearbox is slow in the regular drive mode. Changes to fast shifts in the 'S' mode,however you can take manual control with the gear lever or paddle shifters.
--I feel the paddle shifters are a tad bit small for my liking.
--Small horn is hard to reach and requires a hard press to work.
--Space is pretty good at the rear ,however a 3rd passenger would be uncomfortable due to the central hump.
--Alloy wheel design is nice but would've preferred bigger wheels

Just wanted to share my experience with my baby,attaching a few pics too,enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-20220102_113238.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-20220102_113246.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-20220102_113234.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-20220102_113317.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-20220102_113333.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-20220102_113409.jpg  

speedracer is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 15:21   #3685
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracer View Post
*SNIP*

This car is the best car I've owned to date with few to no problems *SNIP*
I know the feeling Mine's only half as old as yours but has done a lot more kilometers and still feels as good as on the day I bought it.

Cheers
tilt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 12:34   #3686
BHPian

Quote:
Today is 2nd January,marking the 12th birthday of my precious German beauty:the Volkswagen Jetta

Just wanted to share my experience with my baby,attaching a few pics too,enjoy.
Thank you for sharing this occasion with us! IMHO this was one of the best overall offerings by VW in India. All cars age but not many age with grace, the ones that do are called great and that is the case with cars like the Jetta.

Wishing you many more miles ahead with this gem of a car, very happy to see that you have held on to it for 12 years! As a fellow VW owner, I too understand just how hard it is to one-up these cars.
AKSarkar1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 13:59   #3687
BHPian

Quote:
--Quite feature loaded with a 8 inch anti glare display with phone connectivity and navigation inbuilt.
Are you using the one you got with the car? Mine is RCD510 from the 2014 batch and it has no navigation built-in.
RoadSurfer is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 14:12   #3688

I upgraded to the rns 15 3 years ago,comes with navigation and bluetooth(both weren't there earlier) and also phone link connectivity inbuilt. To use the navigation in India,you need an SD card(as its US Calibrated) with the downloaded maps which should be easy to do yourself.
Cheers!
speedracer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2022, 20:16   #3689

Hi Fellow BHPians and Jetta owners,

Here is an update on my ownership experience with Jetta Highline TDI 2014, purchased from a friend in Jul 2021, had done 56K on odo.

ECU remap
- Got it done from ToT (earlier experience with Rapid 1.6 TDI was good), made a lot of difference and the rush is felt when accelerator is pressed > 30%
- While this is good for 2 adults, I felt need to be in sports mode while travelling with 4 adults & luggage
- Will work with ToT guys on another tune

Roof liner hang fixed
- Went through all posts in team-bhp, enquired with various car accessory shops. A few who agreed to do it were quoting > 14k with no guarantee on matching the liner with upholstery.
- Happen to talk about it with a guy who runs car wash shop along with car AC and electrical repairs near my house. He called up a guy who showed up in 10 mins and agreed to do the job for 8K. I asked him to show me the roof liner material first.
- Within 2 days got the call and was shown about 2 dozen samples, didn't like any of those as most of them were with velvety shiny material. I asked for mesh material.
- He promised to get back in a day but no response for 3-4 days. After 4 days he called to show me new material. I liked it, was a good match for the car upholstery, mesh material. Deal was finalized and I gave the car the very next morning.
- Got the car back in the evening. I did not like the finish :-( There were creases on the roof because the material probably was transported in folded position rather than as a roll. There was slight smell of the glue which I knew will go off in a few days. I told him that I should not have trusted him with the job and I will not refer anybody to him. He kept saying that the creases will go off in 2 days once it settles due to heat in the sun. I did not deduct any amount and paid him 8K.
- 4-5 days with the car and I could still see creases. I ignored it for a few days and then after about 10 days... the creases did vanish and the finish came out well. Will post pics and contact no. of the guy if anybody is still looking for this job.

With these two changes, decided to fulfil my dream of driving down from Bangalore all the way to my home town in Haryana (Karnal). It seemed possible with WFH and was able to convince my wife. Went through several posts in team bhp and decided on the route back home.

Trip summary in next post.
sandy_shm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th January 2022, 21:20   #3690

A short trip summary - drove overall 10,343 km in 3 months.

Onward journey (Sep end start):
Bangalore --> Nagpur --> Bhedaghat (Jabalpur) --> Orchha (MP, near Jhansi) --> Gwalior --> Karnal
Distance covered - 2485 Km

During stay in home town, drove another 4K in 2.5 months including a trip to Dharamshala/McLeod Ganj.

Journey back (Dec 19th):
Took last 2 weeks off and decided to cover Rajasthan on my way back. Also wanted to avoid Maharashtra (mainly Mumbai) due to Covid scenario. We did not cover Jaipur as this is something I can cover in any visit.

Karnal --> Jodhpur (via Salasar - 650 km) --> Jaisalmer (Tanot and back to Jaisalmer) (530 km) --> Udaipur (via Haldighati) (500 km) --> Ujjain (Mahakaleshwar) --> Omkareshwar (Jyotirling) --> Betul (MP, couldn't reach Nagpur) --> Bangalore (via Nagpur & Hyderabad)

Distance covered - 4070 km

Last stretch from Betul (MP) till Bangalore was not planned in a single day. Started at 7 am, crossed Nagpur by 10 am, reached Hyderabad ORR at 4:30. Didn't see any point in taking a break at Hyderabad and I was fresh... drove down all the way to Bangalore.

Last day distance covered was 1304 km, started at 7 am, reached home at 12:40 am.

Would be happy to answer any queries on road condition or route.

Positives of the car (coming from Rapid TDI manual)
- Butter smooth shifts, ride is way better
- VW steering is much better than Rapid's which was very light
- Suspension is very good, I recommend to keep tyre pressure at 30-31 PSI on highways for better ride
- Enjoyed peddle shifts on ghat sections, crossed multiple national parks in both directions
- Got a very healthy mileage, 15.7 Kmpl in return journey (tank to tank) for 4070 km. This is with triple digit speeds in the entire journey.
- Lumbar support was very useful. Nobody felt tired of the drive.
- Luggage gobbled everything we threw at it

A few niggles
- Mid is showing mileage which is way off (19.0 Kmpl vs 15.7 Kmpl actual). May be due to remap. Any feedback?
- Rear mud flaps rub against speed breakers. Should these be removed?
- I got "glow plug" warning several times during engine start. First time I faced it in Dharamshala, switched off engine in the evening for coconut water after driving for about 50 km. On cranking up, engine stopped half way through with glow plug warning. Tried again after 10 sec and it started on 3rd try.
- I got an earful from my wife on a used car purchase :-(
- Previous owner (my friend) has never faced this. And even I didn't face any issue during 3000 km drive before this.
- Post this I started facing this once in a while and it starts on 2nd or 3rd try
- On my last leg of journey (Betul --> Bangalore), it became a regular affair. Every engine stop would mean 2-3 times crank up on restart.
- After reaching Bangalore, I have taken car out 6-7 times and never faced that issue again.

As per the manual, the engine might not have been heated enough... while that can be true for Dharamshala (though it was ~12 C), not for Nagpur or Hyderabad in the afternoon. The car was serviced before start of the journey in Bangalore.

Has anybody faced this issue in their car? Can somebody help with a possible cause pls.
sandy_shm is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks