Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2019, 15:12   #3406
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Sounds as if the gearbox is getting a message that the engine is labouring hence downshifts to offset this. Try reflashing the DSG software, if the VAG-COM does not throw up any errors
Thanks Sir , however the manual mode on the gear lever works well without any issues , only the paddle shift exhibit this behavior , wont it affect both cases if its a TCU related error ?
Old 5th September 2019, 15:38   #3407
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjithrnair View Post
Thanks Sir , however the manual mode on the gear lever works well without any issues , only the paddle shift exhibit this behavior , wont it affect both cases if its a TCU related error ?
Sorry, i missed the paddle shift issue. Perhaps your downshift paddle has a loose contact
Old 5th September 2019, 22:34   #3408
BHPian

Actually, the left paddle (downshift) was not working 50% of the time. VW ASS resolved that issue completely saying they fixed a loose contact.

VW said they fixed the loose contact in the paddle shifter connections. Both up and down shift was working ok for a few days (while I had it), but now the problem has surfaced again. Is the clock spring a relevant component here?
Old 10th October 2019, 06:41   #3409
BHPian

Re: DSG, demystified! All you need to know about VW's Direct-Shift Gearbox

Not sure if this is the correct thread for this post . I was searching on carwale for used cars and there were a few VW Jetta Tdi AT and Passat Tdi AT versions (2011-2013) which were available in the 6-9 lakh range. The mileage was varied from 80k-120k kms. I had a few doubts regarding the gearbox;
1. Does it make sense to buy a Jetta/Passat which is 6-9 years old? Is this the time that the Gearbox can start acting up?
2. Also how much would be the cost of replacing the Mechatronic Unit (which generally fails) considering no good-will warranty exchange is given.
3. And are there any early signs to look out for that the gearbox is about to fail so as to give it to the service station before the actual failure?
Thank you.
Old 10th October 2019, 20:14   #3410
BHPian

Has anyone had their interior roof lining fall down? Cost of repair?
Old 10th October 2019, 20:40   #3411
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmed26 View Post
Yes this happened to my Jetta a few months back. My car has completed 7.5 years now. The roof lining fell from around the rear reading lamp. The cost of repair was around 5k. Got it done from a FNG. Not sure about the cost from VW authorized service centre though.
Old 10th October 2019, 22:21   #3412
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys!

We have a small itch to upgrade from the Vento to the Jetta, simply because nothing else seems like an upgrade. The Vento at 5 years and 92k KM's is absolutely fine. The only issue we have is that 3 well built people cannot sit in the rear seat for long and that the middle passenger loses out on the headrest, a critical safety equipment.

We would like to know
1) What are the various issues to look out for in a pre owned Jetta. I've head only of premature water pump failures. What about ABS sensors? And anything else?
2) Can the rear seat accomodate 3 comfortably? Is there a headrest for the middle passenger? I saw some cars with and without it.
3) How long does it take for the service centre to source parts? Approximate cost of service? And are parts readily available aftermarket?
4) For DSG equipped cars, what issues/symptoms should I be looking at?
5) How are dieselgate updated engines faring? Have there been any issues or failures?
6) How well does the car age? How does it feel above 80k to 1 lakh KM's?

Honestly, I simply don't know where to start from
Old 10th October 2019, 23:09   #3413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
The roof lining fell from around the rear reading lamp. The cost of repair was around 5k. Got it done from a FNG. Not sure about the cost from VW authorized service centre though.
Same problem with my dad's Jetta too, VW Service Center quoted 60k. They said replacement is the only way, I was not interested. Immediately took car to FNG, they inspected it and said that glue will drip on to fabric resulting in total mess. They alternatively suggested regular headliner with velvet like material that other cars have in them. Cars like Tiago XZ+, Jetta, Laura etc come with knitted headliners.

Still haven't decided yet on that headliner issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
We would like to know
1) What are the various issues to look out for in a pre owned Jetta. I've head only of premature water pump failures. What about ABS sensors? And anything else?
2) Can the rear seat accomodate 3 comfortably? Is there a headrest for the middle passenger? I saw some cars with and without it.
3) How long does it take for the service centre to source parts? Approximate cost of service? And are parts readily available aftermarket?
4) For DSG equipped cars, what issues/symptoms should I be looking at?
5) How are dieselgate updated engines faring? Have there been any issues or failures?
6) How well does the car age? How does it feel above 80k to 1 lakh KM's?

Honestly, I simply don't know where to start from
1. Water pump failure is common across VW cars, in our car also, it went kaput after 7.5 years. Was replaced last month. ABS sensors have also gone, replacement cost is 4700 per piece.

2. Because of Transmission Hump, only 2 can seat comfortably, 3rd one can squeeze in but the tunnel restricts space to place the legs comfortably. Not a big issue though, a few adjustments will do it.

Regarding Headrest, Jetta does come with 3 Headrests at rear, it's Octavia that doesn't get one.

3. Spare parts availability depends on city one is living in, bigger the city, better the Availability. Approximate Service cost is around 13k-16k depending on works described.

4. Jetta Diesel comes with 6 Speed Wet Clutch DSG which is very reliable, have not heard any complaints on that gearbox. Nothing to worry about.

5. Dieselgate Update has not been done to my car, have heard many owners complain about lack of punch post update. Not suggested.

6. Our car is nearing 90k mark, it's been butter smooth experience so far, regular service will do fine. No complaints from engine and gearbox side. Still drives as good as new.
CarguyNish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2019, 17:46   #3414
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, happened to my Jetta after 7 years. FNG quoted 10k, Vw quoted 22K , brought down to 20K. Did it at Vw, as the quality of material shown by the FNG was inferior and did not match the colour of other trim.
Old 13th October 2019, 17:54   #3415
BHPian

Strange problem :
1. Thursday : ABS and ESP lights come on. Normal sensor failure post rains I think. Happens every year. Grr. Will set it right on Sunday.
2. Friday : Steering fluid light comes on. checked. Levels are fine. Friday evening, Ignition coil starts flashing, check engine comes on along with handbrake sign. Fuel gauge goes crazy, from E to 1/2 and back again.
Rush to FNG who has been seeing the family cars for quite some time. Scan done, ABS sensor failed. But no other errors found. Wiring ok, with no rat attack. Battery is fine too. Fuses ok.
Got car back, drove 5 km and coil light, handbrake light is back again. check engine came on and went away in a couple of minutes.
Any ideas?
Old 14th October 2019, 23:52   #3416
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
We have a small itch to upgrade from the Vento to the Jetta, simply because nothing else seems like an upgrade.
I am in the same boat (8 years, 1.2L kms) and seriously considering a interim upgrade to an auto Jetta. To be frank, I am not so worried about the small parts failing as the DSG gearbox. A well-maintained Jetta will give me more satisfaction than the current crop of D segment vehicles. The Octavia is an exception but I want to wait for the 2020 version before buying a new one.
Old 15th October 2019, 11:35   #3417
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
Yes this happened to my Jetta a few months back. My car has completed 7.5 years now. The roof lining fell from around the rear reading lamp. The cost of repair was around 5k. Got it done from a FNG. Not sure about the cost from VW authorized service centre though.
Thanks for the reply. It was repaired or replaced? If repaired, using glue, did you face any problems like glue dripping on to fabric?
Old 15th October 2019, 12:35   #3418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
ABS sensors have also gone, replacement cost is 4700 per piece.
The ABS sensor is a very common issue and atleast one of 4 will have to replaced every year. Its like as if its included in the annual service costs.

It costs around 4500 to 4700 in the service centers per piece.

The most common cause of the repeated failures is dust accumulation and second will be moisture.

Its actually possible to clean the dirty sensor and reset the ECU at a good FNG. Also, the sensor is available for around 1750rs in many FNGs now.

Those doubting the quality of the aftermarket sensor, even original VW sensors will fail in 3 years
Aditya_Bhp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2019, 12:57   #3419
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. It was repaired or replaced? If repaired, using glue, did you face any problems like glue dripping on to fabric?
No it was repaired. There was no issue of glue dripping but for a few days after the work was done there was a weird smell inside the car which slowly disappeared. The work was done extremely professionally and you cannot make out that the liner is removed and refitted at all.
Old 15th October 2019, 13:38   #3420
BHPian

Guys, need your help.

I have come across a 2015 Jetta Highline DSG which has done around 32K Kms with all service records intact. The seller is asking for 10.9L for the same.

What would be the right price for this car?

I am keen on getting it as a replacement for my civic.

Best,
Enigmatic

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks