Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2018, 09:29   #3241
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
I think you should be set for the next 5 years with the Amaron

Sure. We could catch up when you are here. Let’s discuss on PM.
Sure bro, will connect PM.

Now for the experience - the Amaron online guys came with a replacement by evening itself, but guess what? The pricing was against the older battery in exchange with same rating... well, the OE was Vatra 61A while the replacement Amaron was rated much higher at 71A, so they demanded that I pay Rs. 400 more to compensate for the scrap loss value. I told them that Amaron website recommended this as the only replacement model for the Jetta and why have they suggested a higher rating? After some haggling, parted with Rs. 200/- and gave a Rs. 50 tip to the mechanic, job was done in 10 min, yes it indeed larger than the older one, so the OE cover cannot fit, but the engine bay is good enough to take on this larger one!

Like @graaja said, all set for the next 5 yrs :-) Cheers!
Old 28th December 2018, 09:34   #3242
BHPian

My ache for a lateral upgrade has got me shortlist Jetta dsgs. I would like to take an opinion if it's a good choice to go for a 2012 Jetta highline dsg run 65k with 105k km service and insurance due in a month. A crack in the tailight assembly, and minor scratches. Asking around 8.25 lakhs ?
Old 29th December 2018, 18:28   #3243
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Spotted the Jetta with black bumpers again! However, going by the BBS rims, the black bumpers are clearly not for cost-cutting. Seem to be intentional. Reminds me of Sam Kapasi saying "I don't want a car that looks like its been dipped in a bucket of paint".

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-20181229-12.36.02.jpg
GTO is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 31st December 2018, 19:00   #3244
BHPian

My Jetta's central locking has been acting weird. One of the rear doors refuses to lock. After some trying and some trial and error it locks. It not always the same door. Today the driver side door refused to lock. Again after some trial and error got it to lock. Sometimes the door refuses to open after unlocking through the central locking. And it is usually only one door which doesn't lock/unlock, though which door is random. Anyone faced a similar issue? What could be wrong?
Old 1st January 2019, 11:48   #3245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
My Jetta's central locking has been acting weird. One of the rear doors refuses to lock. After some trying and some trial and error it locks. It not always the same door. Today the driver side door refused to lock. Again after some trial and error got it to lock. Sometimes the door refuses to open after unlocking through the central locking. And it is usually only one door which doesn't lock/unlock, though which door is random. Anyone faced a similar issue? What could be wrong?
Since it is random door, which is having issue, I wouldn't suspect the locking mechanism.
I would suggest to check the battery and its voltage. Most of the time Battery is the culprit. Alternatively disconnect the battery and reconnect it 2-3 minutes later, this should reset the central locking mechanism and resolve the issue, if the battery is good.
Old 1st January 2019, 19:42   #3246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjubp View Post
Since it is random door, which is having issue, I wouldn't suspect the locking mechanism.

I would suggest to check the battery and its voltage. Most of the time Battery is the culprit. Alternatively disconnect the battery and reconnect it 2-3 minutes later, this should reset the central locking mechanism and resolve the issue, if the battery is good.

Thanks. It's a new battery. Will try and disconnect the battery and reconnect it. Hopefully, that should work.
Old 3rd January 2019, 17:43   #3247
BHPian

Hi team,
Does it make sense to buy a used Jetta DSG now? How is the spares availability?

Also, how is the ground clearance with 4 pax on aboard with bit of luggage? Does it scrape the road humps? And if yes, how bad is it?

TIA
Old 3rd January 2019, 18:45   #3248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by somspaple View Post
Hi team,

Also, how is the ground clearance with 4 pax on aboard with bit of luggage? Does it scrape the road humps? And if yes, how bad is it?

TIA

Hi somspaple, Since you are in Bangalore and it has ample amount if ASSs; the spares are not going to cause an issue. But there could be considerable amount of downtime depending on the type of spare that is being ordered.

You can consider the DSG if service is regularly done. Please check the service history before you buy any; esp for the transmission fluid if any.

I have traveled insides of Kanchi, Chennai, Bangalore, Chikmagaluru, Shimoga, Sringeri, Sigandur etc and managed to scrape just once or twice (I scraped mud flaps only) with 5 people and their luggage. The GC is amazing in the category.
sangam_mm93 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 18:56   #3249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangam_mm93 View Post

I have traveled insides of Kanchi, Chennai, Bangalore, Chikmagaluru, Shimoga, Sringeri, Sigandur etc and managed to scrape just once or twice (I scraped mud flaps only) with 5 people and their luggage. The GC is amazing in the category.
That's reassuring to know Sangam
Now the hunt begins. Though I'm more inclined towards crossovers due to GC issues - but Jetta is one sedan which I find attractive - I especially love the timeless understated looks [of course the excellent engine and GB combo is a given].
somspaple is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2019, 17:43   #3250
BHPian

A quick update on one of my trips lately.

Did a one day trip to Dharmasthala, Mangalore.

Just a pic before we left.

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-photo_20190107_171900.jpg

Tea break at Bellur cross toll. You get tea, coffee food etc.(No washrooms though)

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-photo_20190107_171903.jpg

Bio break/ refuel if needed at Shiradi. Essar fuel station is open 24 hours.
Accepts PayTM/Cash only as of today.

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-photo_20190107_171743.jpg

Roads are average at Hassan-Sakleshpura stretch; 4 lane making is in progress. Mostly after first half and till Dharmasthala has better road.

Got an average of 19kmpl despite not so sedate driving. I did this by full tank - reserve method and not by the MFD info.

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-photo_20190107_171853.jpg

Well, damn sure the Jetta spoils you for your next upgrade! Can't really ask for more. Happy driving..

Last edited by sangam_mm93 : 7th January 2019 at 17:49.
sangam_mm93 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2019, 00:08   #3251
Senior - BHPian

Sangam - what bulbs are you using in your headlights ?
Old 9th January 2019, 12:17   #3252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
Sangam - what bulbs are you using in your headlights ?
Ethan, my previous owner had them installed at Sachins Autoshop, Koramangala.

I reckon that is P8 brand and it is 4700 Kelvin.

Here is the location.
Old 10th January 2019, 15:23   #3253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by somspaple View Post
Hi team,

TIA
Ground clearance is decent as long as you don't overload the car. I have traveled with 5 adults + luggage and only scraped the mud flap once (which are after market & are taller than OEM ones).

If you buy DSG, you won't mind to slow down car the car to safe speeds for humps every time. I have noticed that we sometimes (subconsciously) avoid to slow the car to ultra minimum speed over humps with a manual gearbox during long journeys (to save one extra shift of the first gear). In DSG, you will have the luxury to slow the car as much as you want.
bhavik.1991 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2019, 12:53   #3254
BHPian

Dear Jetta owners, I have been looking for Jetta TDI in used marked.

Have shortlisted three and test drove all of them which were already clocked around 48k, 92k and 69k respectively and all of the respective owners have maintained good service history records of their car.

Though the electrical & mechanical parts are in mint & pristine condition, the only one thing that has set me back from closing the deal is - "Smoke from the oil dip stick" when the stick is removed.

All the three Jettas have similar observations and especially the one which is the smoothest to drive out of the three (69k), it is not only emitting smoke but also oil drops are being sprinkled out during throttling. But fortunately, this happened to be the most youngest Jetta and has been taken really good care out of the three (2014 mid MY, while the other two were 2012 and 2013 MY).

Looking at the smoke during idle and smoke + oil drops sprinkling out during throttle, I was really scared because I've never seen this in my 92k kms run 1.6 GT TDI and not even mild smoke during idling or while throttling.

One more observation:
I can notice the oil all over the dipstick from bottom to top even after cleansing it before inserting. I was expecting the oil should only be until the indication levels.

Pls throw some light as this has become a real deal breaker for me.

Last edited by keeru : 15th January 2019 at 12:57.
Old 24th January 2019, 14:13   #3255
BHPian

Hi guys,
I got a check coolant error today. I parked the car and checked the coolant level and it was close to empty. Looks like a pump failure. What kind of coolant is used for VAG cars? Any specific brand? I will top it up and see if the error is still there and then take it to the service center. Thanks in advance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks