Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2016, 01:18   #2536
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Agreed, But i have got the same response from VW, Skoda, Toyota, Maruti, Mahindra Etc, All of them i remember clearly said maintaining 30-32 PSI is ideal, Even the sales advisor and even folks at the service centre check and maintain 32 PSI when the car visit's for servicing.
Maruti Suzuki SX4 ZXI - Tubeless tyres - Always maintained 30- 32 PSI used the stock tyres for 50k Before i decided to change them.

Mitsubishi Cedia Sports - Tubeless tyres - Always maintained 30-32 PSI used the tyres for about 45k Before i sold the car.

XUV 500 W8 - Tubeless tyres - Always maintained 30-32 PSI used the tyres for about 50k, Then i swapped them.

XUV 500 W10 - Tubeless tyres - Always maintained 30-32 PSI, ODO's crossing 25k Mark without any issues.

VW Polo 1.2 - Tubeless tyres - Always maintained 30-32 PSI, Used it for 20k before selling the car off.

VW Jetta TDI - Tubeless tyres - Always maintained 30-32 PSI, Currently ODO at 27000 Kms.
In all these cases what the user manual say and what is recommended by maker? Could you ever check on that? Could you ever question the service people why their verbal advise is at variance from what is given in book?

Well, my service centres for both Fiat as well as VW fill up 36/36 and not 32/32 on delivery in Chennai.

I had 1.25 Lakh km on my Fiat odo, and now 29500 km on my VW odo. Previously more than 1.5 lakh km on my marina and maruti. Not to say about the Duster, City, Punto and Rapid of my friends/son I drive often, in city/ high ways.
Quote:
Now after using all the above cars, I have had no issues with fuel economy or Increased tyre wear or Grip levels or Even none of them had gone through any suspension work done. My cars are mostly used in city 60% and highway 40% with mostly 2 adults or 4 sometimes, Thats when i used to take the air upto 34PSI.
I have no comments. We each can do what pleases each of us with our cars. I go by maker's recommendations and you can go by the "itna bada nahi rakte hai sahab" advise from petrol bunks or advise of the service "advisers"

Quote:
What if VW advises tyre pressures for the autobahns through that sticker?
No, its not for Autobahns. Please come and drive in TN/ Karnataka roads some time.

Quote:
On the other hand i have seen the air filling guys at the pump increasing the air pressure to 40+ when i try to get the air checked in my XUV, To which i ask them to reduce it, Once a guy rudely told me, "Itna bada gaadi ka main 45 daalta hu", (Its such a big car, I fill in 45 in such cars")
Air filling guys go by their instinct / what they repeatedly do and not by knowledge. Well, I being an engineer, I go by printed published advise of the makers. I have done this for years now and I am not let down.
All the best and happy motoring.
alavandar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2016, 01:32   #2537
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alavandar View Post
In all these cases what the user manual say and what is recommended by maker? Could you ever check on that? Could you ever question the service people why their verbal advise is at variance from what is given in book?
Unfortunately my memory isn't very sharp when it comes to remembering air pressure given in the manual for car's i have owned years and years back, Though Mahindra said to maintain 32 PSI all round in the previous generation XUV and 33PSI front and 32 PSI rear in the New Age one, Which seems very realistic.

Quote:
I have no comments. We each can do what pleases each of us with our cars. I go by maker's recommendations and you can go by the "itna bada nahi rakte hai sahab" advise from petrol bunks or advise of the service "advisers"
I would go with what makes me feel comfortable over bad roads and potholes, If 36 PSI breaks my back here driving on bad roads and potholes of Mumbai, I would be glad to maintain 32PSI which helps in absorbing the potholes much better.

Quote:
Air filling guys go by their instinct / what they repeatedly do and not by knowledge. Well, I being an engineer, I go by printed published advise of the makers. I have done this for years now and I am not let down.
All the best and happy motoring.
I simply don't care what the air filling guys say, If they have knowledge or not it isn't my concern, I just make them fill the pressure i want it to.
Old 5th May 2016, 09:21   #2538
BHPian

I had a tad scary situation couple of times in last 2 days; when in 'D'rive mode, but car was stationary because it was a very slight uphill (a typical 5-10 degree incline from road to the gate, and was going thru a regular security check, but didn't shift to 'N'eutral because it's always a 5-7 seconds stop), the Break pedals got stuck (as if the ignition is off).

If I could recollect the sequence - I had stopped at the gate by applying brakes, and car had halted, slowly release the bakes and it was still stationary, moved my feet to accelerator to move forward, but had to immediately switch back to brakes - and break pedal got stuck!

I tried depressing gently few times, but it didn't budge, rather became just immovable. I quickly glanced for any warning/critical indicators and there was none. I tried shifting to 'N' and then back to 'D' quickly, and Break pedals became active again. This happened again the next day (yesterday) while I was on a pretty flat road-side - in a similar sequence!

My left hand is always on hand-break since then, and don't feel comfortable.

Just wanted to ask around if any of you had similar experience, or have any inputs as to why this might have happened ? Had a hectic day yesterday so didn't really try to simulate the situation, but I think I should try.

Inputs and suggestions much appreciated.
Old 5th May 2016, 09:35   #2539
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsbhp View Post
I had a tad scary situation couple of times in last 2 days; when in 'D'rive mode, but car was stationary because it was a very slight uphill (a typical 5-10 degree incline from road to the gate, and was going thru a regular security check, but didn't shift to 'N'eutral because it's always a 5-7 seconds stop), the Break pedals got stuck (as if the ignition is off).
Are you sure its not the hill hold control at work here?
Old 5th May 2016, 09:52   #2540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Not sure Santosh, but I would assume the hill-hold shouldn't disable the Brakes, right ? Also, second time it was really on flat surface.
Old 5th May 2016, 10:23   #2541
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Quote:

If I could recollect the sequence - I had stopped at the gate by applying brakes, and car had halted, slowly release the bakes and it was still stationary, moved my feet to accelerator to move forward, but had to immediately switch back to brakes - and break pedal got stuck!

I tried depressing gently few times, but it didn't budge, rather became just immovable. I quickly glanced for any warning/critical indicators and there was none. I tried shifting to 'N' and then back to 'D' quickly, and Break pedals became active again. This happened again the next day (yesterday) while I was on a pretty flat road-side - in a similar sequence!

Just wanted to ask around if any of you had similar experience, or have any inputs as to why this might have happened ? Had a hectic day yesterday so didn't really try to simulate the situation, but I think I should try.

Quote:
Not sure Santosh, but I would assume the hill-hold shouldn't disable the Brakes, right ? Also, second time it was really on flat surface.
It is indeed the hill hold control at work. Don't worry about the brakes, just drive off from stand still. The brakes are not disabled, instead the car is holding the brake for you.
If the wait time is more than few seconds, better to come to N and use hand brake.

Last edited by F150 : 5th May 2016 at 10:26.
F150 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2016, 10:49   #2542
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It is the hill hold function in action. When hill hold gets activated, when you remove your foot from the brake pedal, the car will hold the brake for you.

You will feel the pedal lockout only when you remove your foot from the pedal and try to press again.

Once you press the accelerator pedal, the car will release the brake and move on.

Regarding the flat surface, even though the surface may look flat, there may be a degree or two slope which can activate hill hold.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2016, 12:30   #2543
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
It is indeed the hill hold control at work. Don't worry about the brakes, just drive off from stand still. The brakes are not disabled, instead the car is holding the brake for you.
If the wait time is more than few seconds, better to come to N and use hand brake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
It is the hill hold function in action. When hill hold gets activated, when you remove your foot from the brake pedal, the car will hold the brake for you.
That's reassuring to hear - thanks to both of you
Old 6th May 2016, 18:49   #2544
BHPian

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

I hope I am very very wrong. But am wondering whether I have been given a LEMON.

I was quite happy with my month old Jetta barring the cruise control problem.

I took it up with the service dept at VW Coimbatore. They were not very sure about the exclamation mark next to the cruise control and have opened a complaint and have assured me that they will contact VW and get back. This was about a week ago and am waiting to hear from them.

All else was fine. Have done about 1000km so far. This morning on my way to work, I noticed that the car was idling at 1K rpm. Thought that was a few hundred more than usual, with the AC switched off.

My dad had taken the car this afternoon and suddenly noticed large amount of smoke from the exhaust with burning smell. Luckily, he had reached his destination and quickly got out of the car and switched it off. The AC fan continued to run for sometime before it switched off. No smoke from the engine compartment. These were the info I got from him.

Quickly, contacted VW RSA and the dealership. I was surprised that my chassis no was not on the RSA database. But the RSA person was clear that he will arrange a pick up within an hour and I could send a copy of my invoice tomorrow to cross check. Good job I would say!

Mean while, I contacted a senior at VW Service and I was reassured that the car would be picked up and looked into at the earliest and they offered to co ordinate with the RSA and hasten things. True to their word, the car was on a flat bed within the next 30 min. Efficient indeed.

But, am really really annoyed and worried that such a thing should happen in the first place!

What could be the problem? The senior service person thinks it might be some sulphur related problem due to fuel. But, I don't think so. Same petrol station for all our cars for the past 10 yrs and no such issue for any vehicle from Omni to BMW.

I thought the diesels were the trouble free ones. Has any such problem been reported.

Any opinions and suggestions?

Pardon my long rambling, but this is the first time I ve had an issue with any of my cars and am really pi***d!

Last edited by differential : 6th May 2016 at 18:51.
Old 6th May 2016, 18:54   #2545
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by differential View Post
All else was fine. Have done about 1000km so far. This morning on my way to work, I noticed that the car was idling at 1K rpm. Thought that was a few hundred more than usual, with the AC switched off.

My dad had taken the car this afternoon and suddenly noticed large amount of smoke from the exhaust with burning smell. Luckily, he had reached his destination and quickly got out of the car and switched it off. The AC fan continued to run for sometime before it switched off. No smoke from the engine compartment. These were the info I got from him.

But, am really really annoyed and worried that such a thing should happen in the first place!

What could be the problem? The senior service person thinks it might be some sulphur related problem due to fuel. But, I don't think so. Same petrol station for all our cars for the past 10 yrs and no such issue for any vehicle from Omni to BMW.

I thought the diesels were the trouble free ones. Has any such problem been reported.
Seems to be the DPF regeneration. If you have been using the car for relatively short trips, and not really opened it up on a long drive then this happens. Had noticed it once or twice with the Yeti too. The engine idles at 1-1.1k rpm, and some whitish smoke comes out of the exhaust.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2016, 19:01   #2546
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Seems to be the DPF regeneration. If you have been using the car for relatively short trips, and not really opened it up on a long drive then this happens. Had noticed it once or twice with the Yeti too. The engine idles at 1-1.1k rpm, and some whitish smoke comes out of the exhaust.

That is something the service chaps are considering. Honestly have not done a long trip sans the one 160 km trip a couple of days after delivery. But the quantity of smoke was a LOT. Like those really old metro buses. And the burning smell. I hope it's nothing major. Fingers crossed.
Old 6th May 2016, 20:01   #2547
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
That is something the service chaps are considering. Honestly have not done a long trip sans the one 160 km trip a couple of days after delivery. But the quantity of smoke was a LOT. Like those really old metro buses. And the burning smell. I hope it's nothing major. Fingers crossed.
Take the car out for a spin, redline it in 2nd and 3rd gear a couple of times. I'm sure you will see a large amount of black smoke the first 2-3 times you redline the car. After that there should be none. That'll also take care of the DPF.
Old 6th May 2016, 20:15   #2548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Take the car out for a spin, redline it in 2nd and 3rd gear a couple of times. I'm sure you will see a large amount of black smoke the first 2-3 times you redline the car. After that there should be none. That'll also take care of the DPF.

Thx. Anyways the car has been flat bedded to VW. Will wait for their opinion. Will remember it next time.
Old 6th May 2016, 21:08   #2549
Senior - BHPian

Could it be that the Jetta is equipped with 'Auto Hold' function.

It's the same as hill hold, except that this works on flat surfaces.

It's common in most VAG cars abroad and in Audi here, maybe it's been introduced in the Jetta too. Check if there is a switch in the hand brake area or centre console with an 'A' on it. This is the feature on off switch for auto hold.

Quote:
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2016, 22:25   #2550
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

That's the hill hold in action, The brake pedal becomes firm so that if you want to keep the car in that position for a longer than usual time, You can simply just put your foot on the brake pedal (Not pressing it, Just a gentle touch) And the car will be holding its position unless and until you remove your foot and wait for a couple of seconds for the hill hold to get disengaged. Don't worry its completely normal and mind you the default setting for the hill hold on jetta is very sensitive, It might even happen on a speed breaker.

Quote:
I hope I am very very wrong. But am wondering whether I have been given a LEMON.

I was quite happy with my month old Jetta barring the cruise control problem.

I took it up with the service dept at VW Coimbatore. They were not very sure about the exclamation mark next to the cruise control and have opened a complaint and have assured me that they will contact VW and get back. This was about a week ago and am waiting to hear from them.

Quickly, contacted VW RSA and the dealership. I was surprised that my chassis no was not on the RSA database. But the RSA person was clear that he will arrange a pick up within an hour and I could send a copy of my invoice tomorrow to cross check. Good job I would say!

Mean while, I contacted a senior at VW Service and I was reassured that the car would be picked up and looked into at the earliest and they offered to co ordinate with the RSA and hasten things. True to their word, the car was on a flat bed within the next 30 min. Efficient indeed.

Any opinions and suggestions?

Pardon my long rambling, but this is the first time I ve had an issue with any of my cars and am really pi***d!
Don't worry its normal, As said by akshay123, Its the DPF regeneration, RPM's are higher than the usual (Around 1k) Internationally the cluster's are enabled with a DPF indicator which shows that its in action, Its omitted here in India so there is no indication about it.

You don't have a lemon don't worry, Just see what the Service centre says and get your car back.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks