Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2012, 16:32   #331
BHPian

Re: Toyota Liva : Test Drive & Review

Did any of the Liva owners notice the Traction Control icons in the instrument cluster? Does toyota have any plans of installing TRC in the future or was the instrument cluster borrowed from some other car? I noticed this yesterday in my Liva diesel!

Take a look at the icons on the extreme left

Toyota Liva : Test Drive & Review-20120721-19.18.36edit.jpg
Old 24th July 2012, 17:13   #332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saadat1992 View Post
was the instrument cluster borrowed from some other car? I noticed this yesterday in my Liva diesel!
I think the answer is here
Toyota Vehicle Specifications
Old 24th July 2012, 17:50   #333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acurafan View Post
I think the answer is here
Toyota Vehicle Specifications
I couldn't find ESP or Traction control in the list!

I thought Etios was India specific! Since when did they start selling the Etios in South Africa??
Old 24th July 2012, 19:21   #334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnvk View Post
So now probably I've almost made up my mind to go for it. Cannot wait to get my hands on that lovely blue miss !!
Hope you got her by now. Do share with us the buying and initial ownership experience when you get time. Probably an ownership thread with lots of pics would be
Old 24th July 2012, 22:20   #335

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Hope you got her by now. Do share with us the buying and initial ownership experience when you get time. Probably an ownership thread with lots of pics would be
Not yet Thoma. I'll be taking the delivery in 2 days. Definitely shall try to post the entire experience
Old 25th July 2012, 11:10   #336
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saadat1992 View Post
I couldn't find ESP or Traction control in the list!
It is referred there as EBD or electronic brake force distribution, which more or less is the same thing as Stability control or traction control etc.
Old 25th July 2012, 12:45   #337
BHPian

Quote:
It is referred there as EBD or electronic brake force distribution, which more or less is the same thing as Stability control or traction control etc.

Dude, EBD , Traction control & ESP are totally different things!
EBD - it works based on the load in the car. It's useful when you brake while cornering where it assists the ABS.
Electronic brakeforce distribution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For ESP/ESC : Electronic stability control - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For Traction Control : Traction control system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 25th July 2012, 13:22   #338
BHPian

If I go by wikipedia, then it says,"Since initial widespread use in production cars, anti-lock braking systems have evolved considerably. Recent versions not only prevent wheel lock under braking, but also electronically control the front-to-rear brake bias. This function, depending on its specific capabilities and implementation, is known as electronic brakeforce distribution (EBD), traction control system, emergency brake assist, or electronic stability control (ESC)."
Anti-lock braking system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Which in my understanding is similar functionality implemented differently, though I am just an end user and don't claim any know how.
Old 25th July 2012, 16:50   #339
BHPian

Yes, they have different names but functionally they are somewhat similar!
EBD, TCS, ESP are just advanced versions of ABS.
But, my question is whether toyota is going to introduce ESP and TCS in the future or was the instrument cluster borrowed from some other car??

Last edited by saadat1992 : 25th July 2012 at 16:54.
Old 25th July 2012, 21:28   #340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saadat1992
But, my question is whether toyota is going to introduce ESP and TCS in the future or was the instrument cluster borrowed from some other car??
I don't know if TKM is going to introduce ESP and TCS in India or not, but chances are that they kept provision for Export Models to SA and other countries. By that way, if they decide to provide it in India spec models, they don't have to make any changes to instrument cluster. AND, it's not only Toyota, but all manufacturers follow same practice.
Old 26th July 2012, 10:59   #341
BHPian

Yes this is a very standard practice for cars that are exported to multiple geographies. As you can see it is quite easy to change the engine and things like electric controlled ORVMs than the instrument cluster. So I will not count us getting TCS, it will be just un-illuminated light in the cluster.
BTW: On a similar note, since you bought a new Liva. Have you seen an engine cover for the petrol Liva similar to what you have in a diesel version ? Few months back I heard that it will be added to all versions of Liva but I am not sure whether it is done yet.
Old 27th July 2012, 19:51   #342
BHPian

Quote:
Yes this is a very standard practice for cars that are exported to multiple geographies. As you can see it is quite easy to change the engine and things like electric controlled ORVMs than the instrument cluster. So I will not count us getting TCS, it will be just un-illuminated light in the cluster.
BTW: On a similar note, since you bought a new Liva. Have you seen an engine cover for the petrol Liva similar to what you have in a diesel version ? Few months back I heard that it will be added to all versions of Liva but I am not sure whether it is done yet.

Mine is a diesel Liva. The engine cover is the same as the one in the Etios and the Corolla with the D-4D badging. The petrol Liva and the Etios petrol have similar engine covers. I don't think so they have added the engine cover to the petrol Liva as well!
Old 29th July 2012, 16:39   #343

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Got my hands on her 2 days ago
Well, here we go !! Wanted to share my experience in finalizing the car after shifting to Mangalore from Hyderabad. I had a Santro Xing GLS which I'd disposed off. So this time wanted to go for something more and I had i10 and Figo in the initial list since the budget was 5 lakhs and in fact did not think about other cars.

I was almost browsing non-stop for almost 2 weeks going through this site and had almost found Figo very much in my zone. Immediately one weekend I went for the TD and really liked it for the features and especially the boot space. But the only problem was the FE. Enquired with some of my friends and others in my circle and found that either you should not mind the low FE or really drive as if your life depended on the FE.

Somehow I wasn't totally convinced that I should be going for it since I had the same issue with my Santro earlier and I wanted to have some change with the FE part, in addition to various other factors. Well, even then I did not rule out Figo from my list but definitely wanted to explore other options. Also, really I was in a desperate situation to get a car since the monsoons were testing my patience and I knew that I had to get a car immediately.

Then I do not know why but somehow I was thinking about i10 since I wanted to be safe.One of the strong reasons for this was that I'm used to it and drive a bit when I visit my parents. Both my Dad and brother own i10s and I almost made up my mind that I should be going for an i10 since I did not have the patience to research and finalize a car and in a momentary lapse of my senses I booked an i10 with a dealer by paying 5000. After that I was thinking really hard whether I wanted to get an i10. I was somehow not so comfortable to again own a Hyundai product since I was craving for some change. Had very lengthy chat with my bro and wanted to check with him regarding my choice and this helped me a bit.

Now all that I was looking for was a CHANGE and I was ready to shell out a little bit more that my budget. All this way I was never thinking about a Toyota or Honda product. But it was not to be any more. I was waiting for the Saturday and then I visited the Honda showroom and went on the Brio TD. I liked it but the boot was really, well, non-existent. On the whole it was a well-crafted product but did not appeal me much (I might be wrong but still...). It is purely personal and no offence to the owners of Brio.

Then I moved to the Toyota showroom and little did I know then that it was going to be my final destination...TO BE CONTD...

Note from Support: Please ensure the text does not contain any [FONT] and other tags when posting content created using external word processors. For more details : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/announ...your-post.html (Removing [FONT] [SIZE] and [COLOR] tags from your post)

Last edited by moralfibre : 31st July 2012 at 08:41.
Old 30th July 2012, 01:42   #344

Scene 1 :
I enter into the showroom with absolutely no homework done on Liva. I just walked in asking for information regarding the price. I immediately understood that it was definitely not going to be easy on my pocket.

The G variant was on my radar and the ex-showroom price was 475529 and the on-road price was coming to 576336. So if only the bare minimals were to be considered then it was coming to around 5.5 lacs. Then I asked for a TD and was immediately obliged with it and after around 20 minutes, along with the SM, were in the Test ride vehicle which was a V variant. Reason: there were no G variant vehicles available for a TD. I felt that was fine.

Scene 2 :
The test drive was a perfect one where I liked the spacious interiors and though the quality wasn't top notch, I felt it was reasonable. The various holders around the hand brake and the bottle holders in the doors were a bonus. Coming to the dashboard I found it a bit unconventional placing for the tachometer and the odometer. Asked the same about it with the SM and he replied that it was for a better display purposes which I felt somehow unconvincing. But then I was hardly bothered by the placement of those displays. I checked if they were obstructive when I was driving but they weren't.

I took a long test drive where I went through many potholes and speed breakers and I was pleasantly surprised that it was smooth. There was no problem with the ground clearance as well. I was impressed with the stability of the vehicle as well. I liked the vehicle on the whole though one glaring issue bothered me - yes, the poor noise insulation. All through the ride I could hear almost all the sounds on the road and felt I was on a bike and even the horn was as if someone next to me was honking. So this was the dampener of the test ride otherwise I was pretty much satisfied with it.

Scene 3 :
I come back to the show room and then we sat down for negotiating the price as I was pretty serious in finalizing my choice (Figo was still on, though I booked an i10 and the Figo SM was literally calling me for every 1 hour to check on my confirmation for booking a Figo).
The SM started explaining me the variants that Liva came in and started to compare the G with the V and told me about an offer which they have on the previous year V variant. They had a single ultramarine blue color (which I liked) car left in the 2011 year lot of 10.
Now this made me go mad with confusion and I was like ... "oh no..what if ...(all sorts of thoughts)...Then I asked them about the deal and after a lot of negotiation - it finally came to 5.6 lacs on road price. The ex-showroom price for the V variant stood at 575105 and the offer stared at me temptingly. I was feeling little bit uneasy about the whole offer and then asked them to give me some time to think but they were insisting that the offer would cease by the end of the day which I felt was nothing but a pressure tactic. I could bargain some time till Monday and then left.

Scene 4 :
I typed Team-BHP - The Definitive Indian Car Community - Portal in the address bar and then logged in to get some help from good learned men in this forum and could gain some confidence and also in the meanwhile got the VIN, chassis & engine number from the SM and all through this process I did not smell anything fishy nor were they really hell bent on making me choose the 2011 year car. They were but definitely vouching for that car since the features in V variant are good and that I was getting that for a good price and it would be advantageous if I was not planning to sell it in the near future and the good part was that I had no plans of selling it any time within 3-4 years. So all this plus the responses that I got, especially from Thoma, made me go ahead with the deal. I paid 50K as booking amount and booked the vehicle.

Scene 5 :
I wanted to go for a loan of 4Lacs and rest I managed from my pocket. The loan took about a week to get sanctioned and I took the delivery of the vehicle on 26th July. The delivery check list helped me in having the entire process and it was a very low profile delivery celebration
The initial odometer reading was 34 km. The dealer gave me about 5 litres of petrol in the tank (about 11% of the tank capacity). So that was curtains down to my whole episode of buying a new car.

Here is the first snap of it outside the showroom just before I drove back home.
Toyota Liva : Test Drive & Review-p1030037.jpg

Toyota Liva : Test Drive & Review-showroom.jpg

After reaching home :
Toyota Liva : Test Drive & Review-p1030040.jpg

The Bridgestone tire :
Toyota Liva : Test Drive & Review-p1030041.jpg
Toyota Liva : Test Drive & Review-p1030097.jpg

Some more of them in different angles :
Toyota Liva : Test Drive & Review-p1030042.jpg
Toyota Liva : Test Drive & Review-p1030043.jpg
Toyota Liva : Test Drive & Review-p1030079.jpg

The odometer and the tachometer assembly :
Toyota Liva : Test Drive & Review-p1030073.jpg
Toyota Liva : Test Drive & Review-p1030074.jpg
Toyota Liva : Test Drive & Review-p1030077.jpg

Under the hood :
Toyota Liva : Test Drive & Review-p1030107.jpg
Toyota Liva : Test Drive & Review-p1030108.jpg
Toyota Liva : Test Drive & Review-p1030109.jpg
Toyota Liva : Test Drive & Review-p1030110.jpg

The boot space is just enough, I believe :
Toyota Liva : Test Drive & Review-p1030091.jpg
Toyota Liva : Test Drive & Review-p1030095.jpg
Toyota Liva : Test Drive & Review-p1030089.jpg

Still the old flap type door handles :
Toyota Liva : Test Drive & Review-p1030096.jpg

The seats were good enough, did not think of adding sear covers immediately. Also check the leg space and the shoulder space, a 5th adult is surely welcome :
Toyota Liva : Test Drive & Review-p1030084.jpg
Toyota Liva : Test Drive & Review-p1030085.jpg
Toyota Liva : Test Drive & Review-p1030086.jpg
Toyota Liva : Test Drive & Review-p1030087.jpg

Some snaps of the dashboard :
Toyota Liva : Test Drive & Review-p1030080.jpg
Toyota Liva : Test Drive & Review-p1030123.jpg

And the remaining snaps :
Toyota Liva : Test Drive & Review-p1030078.jpg
Toyota Liva : Test Drive & Review-p1030083.jpg
Toyota Liva : Test Drive & Review-p1030099.jpg
Toyota Liva : Test Drive & Review-p1030100.jpg
Toyota Liva : Test Drive & Review-p1030116.jpg

Well, till now was happy going around the new babe and completed 100km as of now. Waiting for the next weekend to come and take it out for an another good 100 km ride. Lets see how it goes. I shall surely post the updates. So until then-adios!!
johnvk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2012, 11:12   #345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnvk View Post
Well, till now was happy going around the new babe and completed 100km as of now. Waiting for the next weekend to come and take it out for an another good 100 km ride. Lets see how it goes. I shall surely post the updates. So until then-adios!!
Congratulations on the purchase of your new Liva V, it looks pretty cool in blue. It was an interesting narration about your choice for the Liva. Start your separate ownership thread & share with us your initial experience & yes many more pictures. All the best

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks