Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2012, 02:03   #1471
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford Fiesta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayushSRV View Post
Thanks, I'll give a thought to it. Petrol does seem to be better for my running. If only petrol engines had turbos in this segment ( except linea, which my dad just hates for some reason ).

Well my budget is 12lacs.
Any other recommendations?
I TDd Verna, too. Great engine!, but what exactly did they do to the suspension. Its drive is nauseating at higher speeds (not even higher speeds, it starts to go crazy at just 80kmph). Is it possible to get the suspension tweaked without any 'warranty void' issue?
@ayush SRV, I think one can't PM you, as the forum classifies you as a newbie.

If the turbo feel is what you are after, you may not get much in the Ford Fiesta Diesel, either. It is a very refined engine and quite linear in it's power delivery. Easy to drive like the Fluidic Verna. About the suspension of the Verna you mentioned, you may find this thread (which I too haven't gone through properly) useful. It has a bit on suspension upgrades and warranty:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ment-sold.html

Do TD the Optra Magnum and go through some ownership reports. Very different from the Fiesta, but I appreciate both for the composure they show across surfaces and conditions. Also the refined engines and silent cabins in both.

If you want serious advice and views, it may be a good idea to start a "what car" thread, with your Test Drive impressions in it. Detailing out cars here would take this thread off topic. Another thread for you:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...iesta-pg5.html
Poitive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2012, 02:11   #1472

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post

If the turbo feel is what you are after, you may not get much in the Ford Fiesta Diesel, either. It is a very refined engine and quite linear in it's power delivery. Easy to drive like the Fluidic Verna. About the suspension of the Verna you mentioned, you may find this thread (which I too haven't gone through properly) useful. It has a bit on suspension upgrades and warranty:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ment-sold.html

Do TD the Optra Magnum and go through some ownership reports. Very different from the Fiesta, but I appreciate both for the composure they show across surfaces and conditions. Also the refined engines and silent cabins in both.

If you want serious advice and views, it may be a good idea to start a "what car" thread, with your Test Drive impressions in it. Detailing out cars here would take this thread off topic. Another thread for you:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...iesta-pg5.html
Thanks, I'll go through those threads.
I really like Optra Magnum, but the car is kinda outdated now, isn't it?
Btw I own a Chevy Srv. The cars are almost identical sans the boot, beige interiors ( same styling, different colour ) as opposed to black in SRV and of course,the engine.
Old 17th February 2012, 02:48   #1473
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If the turbo feel is what you are after, you may not get much in the Ford Fiesta Diesel, either. It is a very refined engine and quite linear in it's power delivery.
Fiesta Diesel is refined, yes. It is linear, cant disagree there. However please dont compare it with petrol, no car w/o turbo in petrol comes with 200 nm of torque at 2000 rpm. That figure means that unlike the petrol, the power/pull is available right from 2000 rpm. This is the zone where most cars of India need power under normal conditions and no petrol engines come close. To extract similar performance from petrol, you need to revvv... and that means higher fuel bills!

Being a Fiesta D owner for 2 weeks, I would strongly advise a test drive of both Vento D and Fiesta D before u finalize any deal.

Last edited by aseem : 17th February 2012 at 03:08.
aseem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2012, 09:31   #1474
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, I'll give a thought to it. Petrol does seem to be better for my running. If only petrol engines had turbos in this segment ( except linea, which my dad just hates for some reason ).

I TDd Verna, too. Great engine!, but what exactly did they do to the suspension. Its drive is nauseating at higher speeds (not even higher speeds, it starts to go crazy at just 80kmph). Is it possible to get the suspension tweaked without any 'warranty void' issue?
What about the laura TSi? I think there are some pretty huge discounts going on. It could very well be under 12L in Delhi. It has a super engine though skoda's A.S.S is a cause of concern.
shivasuma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2012, 09:45   #1475

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
What about the laura TSi? I think there are some pretty huge discounts going on. It could very well be under 12L in Delhi. It has a super engine though skoda's A.S.S is a cause of concern.
After discounts
Laura TSi active = 13lacs
Laura TSi ambition = 14lacs

Active is pretty dead. Any idea if dealers are offering more discounts?

Thanks
Old 17th February 2012, 11:34   #1476
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
This is that car. Part cost aside, this is my favourite C+ segment diesel sedan. refinement and the drive,the body control, the steering feel, the kickass audio...there is no equal.
No doubt. After 5+ months on the road, there are no issues till date - so far so good. The Kinetic Blue colour still remains my favourite. Wish I could buy it.

Quote:
Thanks, I'll go through those threads.
Btw I own a Chevy Srv. The cars are almost identical sans the boot, beige interiors ( same styling, different colour ) as opposed to black in SRV and of course,the engine.
The SR-V sure is a looker. I have seen only 4 till date on Delhi roads - 1 silverish, 2 black and 1 blue (within my office).

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
That figure means that unlike the petrol, the power/pull is available right from 2000 rpm. This is the zone where most cars of India need power under normal conditions and no petrol engines come close. To extract similar performance from petrol, you need to revvv... and that means higher fuel bills!
Absolutely spot on.
Old 17th February 2012, 15:55   #1477
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
This is that car. Part cost aside, this is my favourite C+ segment diesel sedan. refinement and the drive,the body control, the steering feel, the kickass audio...there is no equal.
Oh totally agree! Just one point to add on. I assume that the repair cost went as an insurance claim.
In my experience of 8 years with Ford, they have this habit of complete part replacement instead of repair, especially if you agree to claim insurance. The work carried out will be fantastic, but the insurance claim will be highly inflated. Last year, a scratch and dent on the rear left door went for an insurance claim of close to 32K.
This is the only bit which I really don’t like about Ford in India.
Old 17th February 2012, 18:33   #1478
BHPian

Quote:
If you Love the turbo feel of a diesel engine and dont mind the initial cost over a petrol car then go for a diesel!
But you haven't mentioned if your car will be used only by your dad or for the whole family?
The fiesta is a drivers car no doubt but if your going to be chauffeured or if your traveling with five people then the fiesta may not be appropriate.
Better take a TD and see if the Fiesta fits your requirements!

Quote:
Thanks. I did TD Vento (diesel) and hated the engine noise, the noisy suspension and noisy and cracking clutch (while depressing).
:
I found the Vento quite good.It was silent from inside but a bit noisy from out, dont matter much! The clutch was not hard and no noise while depressing the clutch. Maybe your TD car was of the older lot(or abused!),mine was the refreshed model with 6k km clocked!. The newer models have better NVH according to the TD guys

If your looking for that most powerful diesel cars below 12 lakhs then the Rapid,Vento and Verna are good contenders.

Quote:
Old 19th February 2012, 02:33   #1479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
Fiesta Diesel is refined, yes. It is linear, cant disagree there. However please dont compare it with petrol, no car w/o turbo in petrol comes with 200 nm of torque at 2000 rpm. That figure means that unlike the petrol, the power/pull is available right from 2000 rpm. This is the zone where most cars of India need power under normal conditions and no petrol engines come close. To extract similar performance from petrol, you need to revvv... and that means higher fuel bills!

Being a Fiesta D owner for 2 weeks, I would strongly advise a test drive of both Vento D and Fiesta D before u finalize any deal.
Aseem mate, congrats on your Fiesta. I too like the car. If you'll check, you'll find that I did not compare it to a petrol at all. It is no secret that I like Diesels too . But that is very personal. Some like the pull (torque) of diesel from low RPMs, some like the fluidity of a high revving high BHP Petrol engine.

@ayushSRV, for whatever it is worth, there was a tweet from Hormaz (Editor of ACI) about how it is now viable to go in for Diesel cars, even if one does not have enough running. That resale prices may be enough to offset the extra initial cost. I have not done any calculations to check on this.

OT:
Quote:
Primary difference - Optra Magnum (diesel) comes with a 2 litre, 300Nm+ engine and a higher torque to weight ratio than even the Cruze at about 9L OTR. Would not comment further, as it would get off topic. If you would like to take this further, you could mail me at poitive at gmail dot com (being classified a newbie, you would not be able to PM, I presume).
Poitive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2012, 03:03   #1480

Quote:
Aseem mate, congrats on your Fiesta. I too like the car. If you'll check, you'll find that I did not compare it to a petrol at all. It is no secret that I like Diesels too . But that is very personal. Some like the pull (torque) of diesel from low RPMs, some like the fluidity of a high revving high BHP Petrol engine.

@ayushSRV, for whatever it is worth, there was a tweet from Hormaz (Editor of ACI) about how it is now viable to go in for Diesel cars, even if one does not have enough running. That resale prices may be enough to offset the extra initial cost. I have not done any calculations to check on this.

OT:

Primary difference - Optra Magnum (diesel) comes with a 2 litre, 300Nm+ engine and a higher torque to weight ratio than even the Cruze at about 9L OTR. Would not comment further, as it would get off topic. If you would like to take this further, you could mail me at poitive at gmail dot com (being classified a newbie, you would not be able to PM, I presume).
I'll get in touch with you.
I've always liked the car and my dad's always loved it. The only thing stopping us is the same 3/4th exterior design and almost the same interior styling.
Plus, I presume that there must me good deals going on, too.

Yes, I can't PM, but I'll mail you ASAP.

ps: I've seen you promoting this car alot after your purchase. Seems like you're completely in love with this machine. I'll TD it tomorrow. Btw, did you change the alloys or are you on the stocks? They've completely ruined them now.
Old 22nd February 2012, 20:05   #1481
Senior - BHPian

One of my friends is in the market for a C-segment sedan and today three of us had a look and the Fiesta and took a TD. The moment I was inside the Fiesta, I remembered the following point from the official TD:

Quote:
• Interiors at the rear look and feel like they are from a segment lower
It left a bad first impression. We also found that ingress/egress is difficult at the rear since the B-pillar is quite close of the edge of the rear seat. It doesn't help that the rear door itself is not too big.

The SE was quite knowledgable about the car and its features and demonstrated all the cool features. The music system is top-class. Front seats are good, but I would've preferred them to be a bit more wider (for my build).

The drive itself was good, I didn't feel that the car had much of turbo lag. I found a good seating position easily. Felt quite comfortable with the car from the moment I was behind the wheel. Foot-well is cramped, but I don't have really big feet. I did take one of two corners slightly fast and the car held its line.

What was not good was the ride quality when I rode at the back with my friend driving. We had chosen the same route that we used for a Linea TD yesterday (2-lane road, no divider, very few vehicles on the road, a few fast turns, no potholes but uneven road surface). The difference in the ride quality was instantly noticeable.

The three of us kept our thoughts to ourselves during the TD. When we discussed afterwards, we had the same opinion about the interiors and the ride quality. My thought was that if I had 11.5L to spend (Kochi OTR price for Fiesta diesel Titanium+), then I'd rather spend it on the Vento TDI HL (just for the interiors) - though it lacks a few features. The same thought was shared by my friends as well. If the VW guys get off their high horse, we will take a Vento TD on the same road that we used today and compare it to Linea and Fiesta.
StarrySky is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2012, 14:33   #1482
BHPian

Just got a call from the SE at Talera Ford, University Road that the 6 speed Dual clutch PowerShift Auto has arrived at the showroom! It sports black leather seats as well. Sadly caught up in work, else would have headed down for a dekho .

Has this arrived at showrooms in other cities as well?
Old 26th February 2012, 00:30   #1483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post

The three of us kept our thoughts to ourselves during the TD. When we discussed afterwards, we had the same opinion about the interiors and the ride quality. My thought was that if I had 11.5L to spend (Kochi OTR price for Fiesta diesel Titanium+), then I'd rather spend it on the Vento TDI HL (just for the interiors) - though it lacks a few features. The same thought was shared by my friends as well. If the VW guys get off their high horse, we will take a Vento TD on the same road that we used today and compare it to Linea and Fiesta.
Please check the vibrations on the clutch pedal when you drive the Vento. I HATED it. Actually, I initially test-drove the 2011 version, and I thought the vibrations were part of the older (abused) test drive car. Then I test drove the 2012 HL (with steering mounted controls), and I felt the same irritating vibration in the 2012 version also. That was the end of road of Vento for me.

Honestly, after driving my i20 CRDi, I feel that most other diesels were coarse (Linea, Vento) - I am not thrilled by the torque offered by Vento too (I expected it to be mind blowing) - Ford's underpowered new Fiesta offered me the best ride quality and the similar butter-smooth engine and great ride quality (comparable to Linea, IMO)

VW have raised the price of Vento so much here in Bangalore that it simply doesnt make sense. The HL with leatherette seats is 12.64L OTR and without the leatherette seats it is 12.04L. I cannot justify paying that much for a Vento which can seat only 4, unless you can find a bakra to sit over the mound in the form of transmission tunnel.
sriramv.iyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2012, 09:21   #1484
BHPian

Completed a test drive of the new fiesta Diesel earlier this week. Im looking to replace my Petrol Figo with a Diesel Sedan.

What I didnt like about the car
1) Felt a bit cramped in the drivers seat, most probably due to the larger center console. Not a deal breaker.
2) No DTE, USB, Bluetooth on the Trend version . With an ex Showroom price of 9.92L, this should have been a standard feature. My 4.88L OTR figo has these features. Definitely a deal breaker.

3) Black plastics on the dash and in the general the plastic quality is not good. A few line breaks on the large dash would have been helpful.

4) Rear middle seat has a hump, not as big as the Vento's, but you will find the center console's cup holder protruding into the leg room. I found it difficult to get into the middle seat, you can imagine the condition of elders who are often pushed to the rear seat.

5) Overall poor ergonomics, especially with the power window switches.

6) Size of the music system was big for my liking, too many dials seemed more like a paid telephone booth.

What I liked about the car

1) Exterior styling whereas the figo has a neutral look.
2) Sounded like a well refined petrol engine rather than a Diesel. Excellent NVH.
3) Instantly found a good driving position, good drivers seat, controls similar to that of the Figo.
4) Excellent ride, handling, pickup, hardly felt the turbo lag. Yet it seemed to be tuned for performance rather than outright performance.
5) Steering was extremely light at standstill or low speeds which is different from the Figo's steering. But at higher speeds (reached about 80kmph) it weighed in nicely.
6) Good AC, good music system.

Overall from the outside and from a drivers perspective its a good car. As mentioned in the official team BHP review the interiors are from a class below. Only discount being offered is a corporate discount worth 15-20K and the waiting period is 3-5 weeks. Its defintely not a VFM car like the Figo, so Im moving on to a VW showroom next week for a full test drive.
Old 2nd March 2012, 21:14   #1485
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansvk View Post
..2) No DTE, USB, Bluetooth on the Trend version . With an ex Showroom price of 9.92L, this should have been a standard feature. My 4.88L OTR figo has these features. Definitely a deal breaker.

...Overall from the outside and from a drivers perspective its a good car. As mentioned in the official team BHP review the interiors are from a class below. Only discount being offered is a corporate discount worth 15-20K and the waiting period is 3-5 weeks. Its defintely not a VFM car like the Figo, so Im moving on to a VW showroom next week for a full test drive.
I think you should wait for couple of weeks. Ford is planning a re-positioning of this sedan and I guess there could be a price cut. In the mean time, you can go ahead and have fun TDing all the cars. But wait before you make a commitment!
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks